• Published 13th Dec 2015
  • 10,714 Views, 428 Comments

The Days Passed - SilverEyedWolf



A poor break-up sends Spike to the most understanding of the Six. She sends him to bed.

  • ...
24
 428
 10,714

PreviousChapters Next
The Trial

The first to act was Cadance. Standing, her mouth cracked to let out a single word.

"What?"

If she hadn't have whispered the word, Spike felt as though he might've gone deaf. As it was, everyone else in attendance was left rubbing at their ears to try and ease the ringing.

"But Auntie Celestia-" she started, only for Clear Sights' eyes to widen and one of his hooves to snap out towards her.

"Surely Princess Cadance, this is the first thing you've heard of this trial, and you are not insinuating in any fashion Princess Celestia might have shared delicate legal information with another country, no matter how warm the relationship is between said parties?" he quickly asked, glancing over at the pony at the typewriter.

Cadance chewed on her lip for a moment, before spitting out, "Of course not. I merely assumed a few key points in your own, coincidental, arrival alongside the party being tried by the courts today."

Clear Sights seemed to mull over her words in his mind for a moment, before nodding. "Understandable. Unfortunately, you would be unable to extrapolate the reasoning for the trial, without outside information."

"Provided by my sister-in-law, Twilight Sparkle," Cadance replied immediately. "We have regular correspondence by letter, and she spoke to me of Spike's recent troubles. I was able to safely assume the reasoning with this information."

Spike looked confused, his gaze flickering between the two before wandering over to Shining Armor.

His mouth in a thin line, Shining shook his head slowly, before putting a hoof to his pursed lips.

Spike nodded, sitting down on the crystal floor and waiting to be called upon. His mind whirled with the Legalese still now being tossed between the two ponies currently arguing, but he frowned as he thought about Clear Sights' words to him.

"I'm being banished?" he asked out loud, frowning.

The other two stopped speaking for a moment, and Clear shook his head side to side.

"No Spike, not at the moment," the judge said. "This trial is to determine if you should be or not, but the official paperwork for a banishment must be filled out with an assenting Princess or Prince in attendance to seal the page and make it official."

"Which none of us would ever do," Cadance said, holding her head high.

"At least one of you tried," Clear Sights said, shuffling around his paperwork and pulling out a roll of parchment. Unwinding it, he casually displayed the foot-and-a-half long piece of parchment, stamped over multiple times with red ink. At the bottom was a large, looping signature in blue ink that sparkled with gold shavings.

Three sets of eyes narrowed at the signature, easily recognizable even at this distance.

"Of course, I could never tell you who that pony was," Clear Sights said with a sigh, rolling away the scroll. "Only know that one of the higher members of Caterlot's echelons made the attempt. He," Clear coughed lightly, "They were turned down immediately by multiple signatures, but insisted on this trial at the minimum. Many other noble parties agreed with them, and the court system was levied to act."

"Alright, so can I get some laypony's terms here?" Spike asked. "I'm kind of floating around in all these terms and official words and junk."

Clear Sights grinned over at Spike.

"In simple terms, Spike, you scared someone pretty high up in the systems, and they want assurance that you're not going to do it again. However," he said, raising a hoof, "I was given another set of restrictions for you, from slightly higher up still."

Clear coughed, low in his throat. "But, we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves. First, I need you to hear what exactly it is you're being accused of, and to tell me whether or not you feel yourself guilty or innocent. Easy enough?"

Spike licked his lips with a dry tongue, wishing for some water, as he nodded.

"Good, good," Clear muttered, pulling out a couple of scrolls and unrolling them slightly to glance at the top, putting them back and trying again. After a moment, he seemed to find what he was looking for, and replaced all the other scrolls as he opened a thin one onto his desk. From where Spike was sitting, he saw several red marks on the page already.

"Now, some of these have been preemptively overturned by either the judge who recorded this list of proposed grievances, or by the one who was determining if this was actually a case or not," Clear Sights spoke, raising a quill and ink bottle onto the desk from a drawer.

"Willful terrorism," Clear started, before drawing a line through it. "Overturned, as the first thing you did when you transformed was go into the Everfree.

"Endangerment of innocent lives," Clear said, before striking through that line as well. "See above."

Spike tried to swallow, his mouth sandy. He glanced around the room, and spotted only one thing to drink in the room: a singular glass of water, ice cubes floating on top of the drink as condensation dripped down the side of it.

Clear Sights reached out and sipped indifferently at it before setting it down and continuing.

"Endangerment of properties belonging to others," he stated. He paused, his eyes coming up to meet Spike's. "Luckily, the only property around belongs to a certain family of orchard caretakers, who has refused to press any sort of charge against you," he said, drawing a line through the accusation.

Shining Armor cleared his throat, and Clear Sights sighed.

"I'll be honest Spike, I don't wanna sit here an' tell ya' all the things they couldn't get to stick ta' ya'," he said, his accent coming through a little stronger. "So, tell ya' what, I'll get'cha a copy after this, if ya want."

Spike nodded quickly, licking his lips.

"A'ight, so," Clear said, scratching through the scroll several times before coming to a place near the bottom of the scroll.

"The first one the court can't just hoof-wave is this one," he said, meeting Spike's eyes for a moment before reading aloud, "Willful transformation into a powerful being."

Frowning, Spike asked, "There's actually a law against that?"

Clear shrugged. "After Tirek, yeah. There's been quite a few new ones put to paper actually, since Princess Luna's return."

Sighing, Spike said, "Not guilty. The transformation was unwilling."

Nodding, Clear started writing on the side of the scroll.

"Purposeful or permanent destruction of beings or properties."

"Not guilty," Spike said, a little more confidently. "The only thing I hurt at all while transformed was the Ursa, and considering the fact that she walked away, I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything permanent to her."

Clear took a sip of his water before reading, "Terrorism slash menacing of the general populace on a greater scale."

"You mean Ponyville?" Spike asked. When Clear Sights nodded, Spike smiled a bit. "Actually, I was able to walk through town transformed, on the way to Twilight's castle. Not only did no one freak out, but I had a few of them reassuring me on the way through. So, not guilty."

Clear nodded, scribbling still on the scroll. Sighing, he laid it to the side and looked up to meet Spike's gaze. "Hard one for the finale. Poor or complete lack of control over one's own powers, either natural or obtained."

Spike flinched, frowning heavily. "I had control," he whispered. "At the end, I had control..."

"But you didn't start with it, did ya?" Clear asked, surprising gently.

Spike's eyes flicked back and forth over the floor as he relived the moment that the Ursa had lumbered out of the woods, and he sighed.

A couple of salt-water drops hit the floor as he whispered, "Guilty."

A loud screech echoed through the room as a wooden chair was pushed roughly aside, and Spike looked up in surprise as Cadance stormed out of the room, slamming the door roughly behind her.

Clear Sights looked distantly at the door, then turned to Shining Armor to raise an eyebrow.

"Please, continue," Shining said, nodding at the judge.

Clear Sights nodded, before scratching some notes down on the scroll. Blowing briefly on the ink, he re-rolled the paper before putting it off to the side.

"Okay Spike, there's one last thing I need from ya before I can say anything officially."

Wiping at an eye, Spike nodded at Clear Sights. "What do you need?"

Clear moved away from the desk, and Spike had a glimpse of the large dark suitcase that Clear had been towing with him this morning. It was open, and Clear reached into it to pull out two clear glass orbs.

"Scrying crystals?" Spike asked.

"Same difference, really," Clear said, placing both on the desk. "It's got a fancy magic name I can't remember half the time, but it boils down to I relive some'a your memories. I hold one, you hold one, you think real hard about what you want me to see, an' I see it. 'Course, there are powerful enchantments on both to make sure that you're not just telling a real good story, so nothing funny, right?"

Spike nodded, reaching forward to cup one of the orbs in a paw. It was maybe a foot across, and looking into it, Spike saw a dim green glow in the center.

"So, I just-" Spike started, before something behind his ears starting itching. The scratch spread over his skull, before drifting down and into his mind.

Mine,” he growled, setting his teeth. Rolling, he flexed his shoulders as he felt his wings withdraw.

She is mine,” he said, feeling his back crackle and pop as it lengthened.

You will not touch,” he growled, the bear turning to look at the growing dragon.

Mine,” he growled into the ground, his head straight down.

Mine, mine, MINE.

Gasping, Spike tried to drop the ball, but his digits clenched around the glass. His forelegs spasmed as the spell took over his mind and he felt another consciousness drift over his mind. It had a sense about, almost a smell, and Spike felt several things called to mind.

Old cigars. The dusty smell of a lonely apartment. The smell of oiled steel. A hint of iron-heavy blood. The brief pink feeling of love, soon blooming redder. The heavy feeling of duty.

With a shudder, he felt the other pull away from his mind, and he let the heavy orb roll from his paws.

It seemed to bounce off the floor soundlessly, and at the top of it's arc it actually floated over to rest on the desk with it's twin.

"Sorry about tha," Clear said, rubbing his forehead just between his eyes. "Can't warn ya about it, or you put up more blocks, ya know?"

Shaking his head, Spike snorted and shook his head roughly. "Did you at least get what you were after?" he asked, a little roughly.

Clear Sights nodded, seemingly ignoring Spike's tone, as he closed his eyes and leaned back in his chair. "Yeah, I got it," he muttered, his eyes whipping back and forth underneath his closed eyelids.

Spike continued to scratch at his skull, trying to get the tingling sensation from under his scales.

Clear took a couple minutes to himself, muttering under his breath as he did whatever it was the orb had enabled him to do. Opening his eyes, he nodded to himself before looking at Shining Armor. "Do you want to call the Princess in?"

Shining chuckled darkly. "Depends on what it is you're about to say, General," he said, before walking over to the door and cracking it. He nodded to someone out of view, and then widened the door for Cadance to walk in.

They both took up a place on either side of Spike, Cadance laying a wing on his shoulder as Shining copied the action with his hoof.

Clearing his throat, Clear Sights sat completely upright in his chair before tapping the wooden disk on his desk.

"I have come to several conclusions, based on factual evidence gathered from the defendant himself. In many of these matters brought before the court, we find Spike Draconia to be innocent."

Cadance breathed out, slumping a bit, but Clear frowned.

"However, another thing has been made clear before the courts. Spike has had no training, in any form, in controlling or containing his powers. Thus, we do find him guilty of being unable to control his, potentially considerable, powers."

Cadance sucked her breath back in, puffing up her chest and giving the judge a wild glare.\

"Wait," Clear said, holding up a hoof. "I know that this outcome is unfavorable, but I think you'll find the sentencing acceptable."

Cadance lifted an eyebrow, but slowly released the air she'd taken captive.

Sighing in relief, Clear Sights leveled his mallet at the drake. "Spike, in light of this conclusion, I hereby sentence you to one hour of community service, to be issued and observed by any member of nobility or any hero of the lands."

Spike twitched, a small grin coming to his face. "Such as the Elements of Harmony?"

"Excellent suggestion Spike, they would do just fine," Clear said, nodding. "However, I am also tasking you with one extra thing, the aforementioned restrictions by the power above the courts. One of the Diarchs themselves is tasking you with experimenting with your powers, and finding the boundaries of your transformations. Find the trigger, basically, and figure out how to defuse it.

"Or use it on command," he followed up with. "The guard could definitely use a powerhouse like you around, even with the Elements taking up most of our defensive forces."

Spike frowned. "One of the Princesses want me to figure out how to turn into a monster... on purpose?"

Frowning, Clear Sights leaned over his desk. "Spike, would you like some advice from an old soldier, an older judge?" When Spike nodded, Clear looked deep into his eyes as he said, "There are no such things as monsters. Only beings who act monstrously."

With a satisfied nod, he roughly clapped his mallet against the disc on his desk. The pony in the corner tapped on his keys for another couple of moments, before pulling the lengthy scroll out of the typewriter and securing it in a case.

"Ya make me nice and professional, Keys?" Clear asked.

"I wrote exactly as you spoke, sir," the stallion spoke softly, his voice whispery and soft.

"Damn," Clear Sights chuckled. "Next time, then."

"I-is that it?" asked Spike, relaxing his posture a bit.

"That's it. You have officially been admonished by an agent of the crowns and their courts. Complete that community service in a reasonable amount of time, say, a year, or you'll be called back before us." Clear Sights sighed.

"I am real sorry about this, Spike," he said. "You're a good kid, I can tell. Buckers down south get a stick up themselves, and you know how they get."

"Which house was it?" Spike asked, leaning against the alicorn beside him. "Or is that classified?"

"Oh, you know who it was," Clear said, starting to stack his paperwork in the suitcase. "Can't say it myself, but you know who it was."

"Wonder what set him off," Spike said. "We never had much interaction before."

"Blonde bastard says he saw your transformation, from one of his villas on the edge of Canterlot," Clear said, packing away the rest of his supplies and leaving the desk clean. "You spooked him, Spike, and he lashed out."

Spike blew a breath from between his lips, letting them flap a bit. "Well, whatever. Hopefully this'll satisfy him."

Clear pulled out a form from inside the case before he zippered the entire thing closed, placing a padlock on the closed zippers. He tossed it up on the desk, then nodded at it.

"Have ya honey or whoever fill that out, and your community service will be done wit," he said, pulling the harness onto his shoulder and hooking it all up. "I'm off, though. Ya can send it off by mail, or I think I remember ya being able to just send it direct to a Princess. Anyhow ya wanna do it."

Sighing, Cadance pulled away from Spike and walked forward a bit. "Uhm, Clear Sights, I just..."

He immediately started waving his hoof. "Nah nah nah," he said, shaking his head with a smile. "Ya think I ain't had worse yellin's at in my life? Ya's good, Princess."

Giggling lightly, she said, "Nonetheless, I'd like to extend the hospitality of the castle. Feel free to stay as long as you're allowed by your duties, and be welcome to a spare room here."

"Kind of ya," he said, chuckling, "but I'd ratha be home, all the same."

Cadance nodded, using magic to open the door as Clear Sights walked from around the desk and towards it. "Later then, the offer will stand."

Smiling, he nodded, giving Spike a nudge on the way past. "Buy ya a drink next time, yeah, dragon?"

Chuckling, Spike reached over and gave Clear a pat on a shoulder. "Yeah Clear, no hard feelings about doing a job."

With a final smile and a nod to the room, Clear Sights left while closing the door behind him.

With a sigh, Spike glanced over at Cadance. "How much of that did you know about, then?"

She blew a short raspberry. "It was supposed to be a short, slap on the wrist trial that the nobles were pressuring Celestia into. I guess at some point, they got to the orders after she did and added some stuff onto the trial."

Spike blew a raspberry of his own, before chuckling. "Still, not so bad. Hour of community service, plus actually learning more about," he shuddered a bit, "I dunno, the more feral side of myself, I guess. At least I have the rest of the day to de-stress from that."

He heard a small cough from beside him, and looked over at Cadance, who had a small, saccharine smile.

"So, I just happened to notice that Rarity didn't join you on the trip?" she stated, curling the end of the sentence into a question.

Spike groaned, and slapped his paw over his eyes.

Author's Note:

Alright guys, not so bad as some of you were making it out to be, huh? Still, I wonder what the ripples that spread from this will look like, eh?

Thanks so much for the reading, and the continued support!

PreviousChapters Next