• Published 15th Dec 2015
  • 22,783 Views, 2,229 Comments

The War Machine - Urimas Ebonheart



An experimental self aware A.I. driven robotic soldier named Adam is told he's been ordered to be destroyed by the government... His creator frees him from his military directives and tells him to run. He has a new directive now, self preservation.

  • ...
123
 2,229
 22,783

Chapter 18: The Cutie-Mark Crusade Part 1

The War Machine
Chapter 18: The Cutie-Mark Crusade Part 1

We returned to Ponyville after a few days where the guards take the new gryphon weapons up to Canterlot, but Twilight and I keep one each for study as well. Twilight so she can examine them and so I can see their true extent and make calculations on their advancement, I believe they're getting help from someone.

Celestia decides to stay at the workshop for the day as we plan out our next move.

"So what do you think we should do next? I would like to get the Apache finished and then make my way to Gryphonstone to end this conflict as soon as possible," I tell the white alicorn.

"I would like that as well, but our armoured division needs repairs and replacements. We may even be able to add our own rocket pods with the help of these new gryphon weapons," she replies while levitating one of the rocket launchers we took with us.

"Yes, I would like to have greater numbers when we do eventually assault them, the capital is bound to have more of them protecting the city," I say and look to the Apache chassis.

"How much longer will this Apache take to build?" Celestia asks.

"Between a month or two," I reply.

Eve then decides to speak up. "Is this aunty Celestia?" she asks looking at the white alicorn through a camera in the corner of the workshop.

"Who was that?" Celestia asks while looking for the source of the voice.

"That was Eve, our daughter," Luna replies.

"Your what!? You had a foal with Adam!? But, how? When?" Celestia demands with confusion.

"Not exactly, Celestia. Eve is a copy of my core coding just without my memories, she was an experiment to see if more like me could be created or born. So far she's showing signs of self awareness and is learning as fast as I did. I'll soon make her her own body when she is ready," I reply.

"So... you two aren't courting each other?" Celestia asks with a raised eyebrow and a sly grin.

Luna looks at me with a blush on her face, I then look back to Celestia. "No, I don't believe so," I reply. Why would Celestia think that? I’m not an organic lifeform nor one of their kind.

"I see..." she says and looks between Luna and I. "So where is Eve then?" Celestia then asks.

"On Luna's personal computer in her room," I reply and point to said room.

"Very well, it is nice to meet you, Eve. I hope we can meet properly once you get your own body built," Celestia says to the young A.I, turning in place to find and look into the nearest camera.

"Thank you, aunty. I look forward to being able to move around and experiencing life with a body of my own," Eve replies gratefully.

Celestia smiles at being called aunty, she then looks back at me. "I'll be heading back to Canterlot to aid in the funeral's of all the fallen guards. I will then return in three days," she tells us.

"Okay, we'll get back to work on the Apache," I reply.

Celestia says goodbye and leaves, Luna and I return to building the Apache for an hour where Twilight and Trixie then arrive.

"Adam! You're back!" Twilight says and hugs me around my waist.

"Welcome back," Trixie says as she walks over to her's and Twilight's work area.

"Thank you, it is good to be back," I reply.

"So what are you doing now?" Twilight asks.

"Continuing with the Apache, while you will be examining these," I tell her and pick up the new rifle and launcher.

"What are those?" she asks with curiosity.

"The gryphons new weapons, we picked them up after our battle," I reply and hold them out to her.

"New weapons? How are they advancing this quickly... and why do they look like yours?" she asks while levitating them in front of herself.

"I'm not sure how, but I believe they're trying to imitate my weapons or someone is helping them," I reply.

I then explain how they work and to be extremely careful with the crude rockets.

Twilight and Trixie get started on examining the new weapons and their ammunition while Luna and I continue work on the Apache.


The Next Day


Twilight and Trixie went home for the night and Luna went to teach Eve some more before going to sleep herself, but I stayed up all night working on the Apache's computer systems.

It’s now morning and I'm installing the completed mainframe and welding it into place.

I hear Luna yawn as she walks out of her room with half closed eyes and her mane looks a mess. "Good morning, Adam. How are you feeling today?" she asks me.

"Is that a trick question?" I reply with a hint of humor, my emotional systems seem to be evolving on their own again.

She frowns as she pouts at me. "You know what I meant!" she says and walks over to her workstation.

For the next hour and thirty minutes we continue to build the Apache, but then three knocks at the door gets our attention.

I walk over and open it to see Applebloom and her two friends. "Hi, Adam! We were wondering if you would help us today?" Scootaloo asks me.

"Help you with what?" I ask in turn.

"To get our cutie-marks! We were wondering if you know of anything that could help us," Sweetie Belle replies.

"And how would I be of any help? I have no data on cutie-marks, how do you receive them?" I ask the three fillies.

"A cutie-mark shows what yer special talent is, it appears on ya flank when you discover what yer best at," Applebloom tells me.

"I see, so you have been trying different things to see if you are good at it?" I ask them.

They all nodded rapidly at me. "Uh-huh, but we mostly end up covered in tree sap..." Scootaloo replies with a scrunched up face.

"So what have you tried so far?" I ask and they list off a lot of activities they have attempted. I do not condone the use of a catapult to launch themselves into the nearby lake though. "Have you tried focusing on what each of you love to do the most?" I ask them.

They stare at me for a few seconds before looking at each other. "Why didn't we think of that!" Sweetie Belle shrieks as Scootaloo’s hoof meets her own face.

"What do you enjoy doing the most?" I ask them.

"I like to ride my scooter across town!" Scootaloo replies patting the handlebars of her scooter.

"I erm, I like to sing," Sweetie Belle replies.

"Ah'm pretty good with mah hooves, buildin' our clubhouse was fun," Applebloom says.

"Then why don't you focus on that this time? If you would like, I could accompany you today and aid you," I tell the little fillies.

They grin widely and hop around. "Yeah!" they all shout out.

I chuckle at their enthusiasm and turn towards Luna. "Luna, I'll be out for a few hours helping these fillies, I do recall promising to help them before we left earlier," I inform the dark blue alicorn.

She looks up at me wearing a welding mask from her station with a welder in her telekinesis. "Very well, but do hurry, we need to get this finished as soon as possible," she tells me and returns to her work.

I look down to the three still grinning fillies. "I can spare three hours with you, one hour each. So who would like to go first?" I ask them.

"Me!" Scootaloo yells first, getting frowns from the other two.

I look at Scootaloo's scooter and notice it's old, almost on the verge of collapse. "May I have a look at your scooter?" I ask her.

"Huh? Oh er, sure," she says with slight hesitation and pushes it towards me.

I pick it up and examine it, the wood is starting to rot and the wheel joints are barely holding on.

"I'm afraid this is too damaged to use anymore Scootaloo, the wood is rotting and the wheels are about to fall off where the screws are rusted," I tell her and to prove my point, I easily snap the board in half where the interior is weak and flaking.

"My scooter!" she shouts out in anger and distress, tears starting to form in her eyes.

"Do not worry, I shall make you a new one." I tell her and walk into the workshop. "Luna, can you assist me in making an aluminium scooter with rubber wheels and hoof grips?" I ask her.

"Hmmm? I suppose so, it shouldn't take more than ten minutes at most," she replies and puts her welding torch down.


Nine Minutes Later


I now stand in front of the fillies with a freshly made light weight aluminium scooter with rubber wheels and grips. Scootaloo is staring at it with drool dripping down her chin.

"Ewww, close your mouth, Scootaloo!" Sweetie Belle tells her friend with a scrunched up face of disgust.

"Here you go, Scootaloo. A new stronger scooter," I say to her and put it on the ground in front of her.

She reaches a hoof out and lightly strokes the shiny metal board which has a rubber pad on top to give her hooves more grip. "I can have this?" she asks.

"Yes, I did break your old one. But it was too dangerous to use any longer, so a new one was required," I reply.

She squeals and jumps onto it, her little wings buzz rapidly and she shoots off down the dirt path towards Ponyville before turning back around with a flip and races back over to us.

Scootaloo stops in front of me and lets go of her new scooter and then leaps at me and hugs my left leg as best as she can with her tiny little legs. "Thank you, Adam! It's awesome!" she tells me.

"You're welcome," I reply.

She lets go and hops back onto her scooter, she does tricks and stunts as she barrels down the path. After forty minutes of non-stop riding, her flanks glow and the image of a scooter with a pair of wings on the sides making it look like it's flying appears on her flanks.

She stops and just stares at her flanks before squealing even louder this time. Her two friends run over to her and congratulate her on getting her mark.

"So now that she's found hers, who's next?" I ask both Applebloom and Sweetie Belle.

Applebloom starts hopping in place. "Me, me!" she yells with each hop.

"Alright then, you enjoy building things correct?" I ask her.

She nodded and points to the apple orchard. "Ah built our clubhouse mahself, but the tools ah used weren't tha best and are rather old," she tells me.

"Alright, show me this clubhouse then," I tell them.

Scootaloo hooks her new scooter to the red wagon they have where Applebloom and Sweetie Belle hop onto it. Scootaloo then shoots off down the road like a missile and I follow behind them using my jet skates.

After seven minutes of travel, we arrive at the small clubhouse built onto a tree. It does look well made but the boards aren't sanded and look rough, the ends of the boards look like they were cut with a poor saw as well. The walls are a peach colour while the roof, door and shutters are a reddish brown.

"Well, 'ere it is," Applebloom says, gesturing to the structure.

I walk up to it and examine the boards. They're still in good condition but the fillies could get splinters quite easily from them.

"It is well made for what you had, where are the tools you used for it?" I ask her while I look through the window that's just low enough for me to see through. A small desk with a few cushions are at the back with a crude map of Ponyville with crosses on several locations is pinned to the right wall, there's also a chest with some toys to the left of the window.

"In tha barn, mah sister Applejack let me use them to build tha clubhouse with," the red headed filly replies.

"Go and get them, I'd like to see what condition they're in," I say to Applebloom.

"Erm, sure, ah'll be right back," she replies and runs off towards her family's barn.

Author's Note:

I'll write part two after a new Terracana chapter.