• Published 27th Nov 2015
  • 399 Views, 5 Comments

Court Magician - Moonlit Novel



I used to be on the run, now I have a city that is my home, and no one, not even Princess Luna will stop me from protecting it. With my coltfriend Rich, I plan on keeping this city safe, but who is at the door?

  • ...
 5
 399

Chapter Five: A Pony’s Psyche

Author's Notes:

Thanks to Deadinlight for beta-reading and helping me edit

Chapter Five: A Pony’s Psyche

~ ~ ~

Tenebrosus Magus fear nopony, only ever exhibiting fear when faced with an opponent of significantly more skill and power than themselves” ~The Tenebrosus Magus: What Drives Them, By Royal Script, Royal Researcher

~ ~ ~

“Hi daddy” she said with a teary smile as fresh tears rolled down her face. The older stallion wrapped the younger mare in a tight hug and cried himself, tears of unbridled joy at having his daughter back…

“As touching as this is” said Amber Mine as she stood up and motioned to the guards, “I’m afraid this criminal is under arrest for being a known Tenebrosus Magus” it was then that Celestia started giggling as she waved the guards away with her wing.

“I am afraid you are late to the party on this one, Lady Amber Mine, Shadow Eyes has long since been pardoned and has a standing pardon for her use of Dark Magic, and the manner in which she has used it has also been pardoned, surely you don’t intent to persecute a pony for simply following their special talent” said the solar princess and Amber Mine gaped at the princess, she couldn’t possibly have pardoned this murderer.

“Your highness! Surely-”

“This isn’t Shadow Eyes,” said Gold Star gritting his teeth, “This is my daughter, Bright Star, my daughter that I thought I lost” Shadow Eyes turned her head towards the ground.

“I’m sorry, daddy, but I am Shadow Eyes”

- - -

“I object! There is no way we can allow this thing-”

“That thing is my daughter! If Celestia wants her to be appointed then you can not stand in her way.”

“The Tartarus I can’t! Celestia if you do this I will make it my life’s mission to make your life a living hell” said Amber Mine and Shadow Eyes tsked as her horn glowed slightly as she stepped forward.

“I cleaned Manehattan, and if I have to do the same for Canterlot, I will” she snapped at the amber coat with black spots mare and Amber Mine reared back at the threat looking to Princess Celestia hoping for the princess to intervene only to see the Princess smiling.

“Oh?” said Celestia as she pretended to finally notice Amber Mine’s gaze. “Did you want me to do something? I thought you knew better than me” said the Princess and Amber Mine panicked shaking her head.

“I don’t! Please!”

“Shadow Eyes you shouldn’t harm her, she is a member of the council” said Celestia and Shadow Eyes nodded gritting her teeth.

“As you say, Princess”

- - -

Shadow Eyes stood in an antechamber off the side of the royal court room a few ponies ‘helping’ her into a dress…

“Unhoof me! I don’t need this! Let me go!” shouted Shadow Eyes as she struggled to get free of the ponies trying to force a dress on her. It was not long before the ponies stepped away from her the regal looking dress tight on her, and not in a bad way, she panted as she tried to pull the dress off of her while a unicorn held the dress in place. “If this dress is not off of me in the next sixty seconds I am going to burn it to ashes, to Tartarus with looking formal I will not be wearing this cloth torture device!” snarled Shadow Eyes as her body began to quiver…

- - -

“My little ponies, I can not tell you how happy I am to have all of you here today, on a joyous day that a pony, whom many thought lost to the dark arts comes home to us all. A pony, whom, while is a user of the dark arts, never used the spells for anything other than defense of self or others” said Celestia and the ponies that had so far gathered for what the papers said would be momentous occasion, one for the history books…

- - -

“No”

“Come on, Shay, you said you would go through with this”

“I changed my mind, I can’t go out there, I can’t face those looks of fear or hatred again, I just want to go home” said Shadow Eyes and Rich bit his lip.

“Shay, there is nothing—”

“I’m not going out!”

- - -

“The pony in question had been hunted for relentlessly by my sister, her name dragged through the mud and her exploits of good made out to be evil machinations. Despite this, despite my sister and myself hunting her relentlessly, albeit for opposing reasons, she scraped out a name for herself as Manehattan’s protector, and the ponies of that city in turn protected her, even going so far as to go against my sister when she began a forceful search of Manehattan…”

- - -

“Are you sure I can’t just go home? I want to be with ponies that won’t run at the first sight of me”

“Trust Princess Celestia, I am sure she has a plan, how many times have you barely managed to get out of her hooves in the past? She is a nefarious schemer and planner, I can guarantee she has everything planned out”

“Indeed, my sister does have everything planned out, except this little meeting, Tenebrosus Magus” said Luna as she stepped into the flesh having been a cloud of shadow not a moment before.

- - -

an hour later:

“Without further ado, I introduce, the pony of the hour, Shadow Eyes, our new Court Magician” as Celestia said that, Shadow Eyes made her way out to the area in front of the thrones a small, quivering, polite smile on her face...

- - -

An hour previous:

“What do you want Princess? Did you want to continue our little duel from Manehattan?” snapped Shadow Eyes her horn starting to spark and bubble with dark magic and Princess Luna shook her head causing the unicorn mare to sit down as her magic fizzled out in her confusion.

“Nay, I would not be so foolish to attack you unprovoked, every time a pony has, it was the end of them. Though I doubt you could kill me, the damage we would cause in a fight between us would decimate the castle and the city in which this city stands. No, if there is to be blows between us, I will not be the instigator, I came to offer some advice,”

“If it is to not do this, I am way ahead of you, the only thing waiting out there for me is the hateful glares and fearful faces of the ponies when they see me”

“Nay, Tene-Court Magician, go out there, face these ponies, you may be surprised what you see” said Princess Luna as she trotted out of the room towards the hall leaving Shadow Eyes turning head back and forth between the door to the hall and the door to the throne room…

- - -

As Shadow Eyes walked out of the room, all the stares on her weighed on her soul. Some of the stares, as she expected were hateful, or fearful, but to her surprise there were more ponies smiling genuinely at her, some she actually recognized from Manehattan. Or from her time on the run, the ponies she helped, even risked her life for…

Celestia smiled happily towards her and she took a step forwards, tears of happiness welling up in her eyes, all these ponies came to see her, not as a threat, but as someone worth being around…

Author's Note:

I know not the best, but I hope it is alright as usual, though I haven't asked before, please leave a comment below, I can't get better without knowing what I need to improve