• Published 25th Nov 2015
  • 359 Views, 0 Comments

The Mentor of the Pegasi - The Whisper on the Wind



Folklore. Often described as the various stories that a culture passes down from generation to generation with the intent of entraining, or teaching. But the thing about folkloric stories is that they are often based on a grain of truth.

  • ...
 0
 359

Day One: Side A

There are things nopony talks about whenever they come back from a visit to the Princesses. Yes, they talk about the beauty of the throne room and the palace, and they talk about the majesty and breath-taking sight of Celestia and Luna respectively. What they don’t tell you is they don’t notice the beauty and grander of the architecture until after they leave their audience. And they certainly don’t tell anyone that the breath that was stolen from their lungs wasn’t out of awe, but rather out of fearful anticipation.

Oh, they know full well they would never be harmed unless they did something truly heinous, something so evil and deplorable that there was no other alternative. But there is a difference between knowing something in your head, and feeling it in your instinctual core. Regardless as to whether they knew it or not, Celestia and Luna always did inspire a certain fear in those who were not as powerful as them. It was only natural, really. After all, who in their right mind would even remotely consider pissing off two beings that had the power to move the celestial bodies themselves?

These were the thoughts and feelings that were going through Zecora’s mind as she began to finish relaying the events that led up to Twilight being sucked into the array she had made.

In truth, if it wasn’t for Applejack telling Spike to take a letter detailing a short briefing of the event and send it to Princess Celestia herself, she wasn’t entirely sure that she would have had the guts to be standing here.

Maybe she wasn’t giving herself enough credit. After all, if there was one thing she learned when she was a filly it was that if you waited too long to admit to a wrongdoing, or an accident that you had a part in, you would only end up making it far harder on yourself than necessary.

At any rate, she had just finished her recollection of the events and was now waiting for Celestia’s verdict, be it good or ill.

“I see, thank you for coming to me with this Zecora. Tell me, do you still have the coordinates the charm provided?”

Interesting. Zecora had fully expected the mask Celestia had molded for herself to be impregnable, but her serene tone still threw her for a loop. Wasn’t she livid at the loss of her student, who was almost like a daughter to her? Maybe she was just maintaining it for the sake of everyone gathered in the throne room (which consisted of Spike, herself, Celestia, and the rest of the element bearers), or maybe it was for her own sake.

Still, it was Spike who answered.

“Yes, the coordinates are right here. But how does that help us?” inquired the young dragon as he handed over a roll of parchment.

Celestia explained as she accepted the offered item.

“Based on what Zecora has told me, both of the event that transpired and how the array was constructed, I have reason to believe that Twilight more than likely ended up at the same place as the charm when it was thrown through.”

It was here that Rainbow Dash interjected.

“So you can just teleport her back? Or we can go out and save her?”

There was a pause as Celestia took the time needed to look over the coordinates. After which, she responded.

“My student is not in any danger, as far as I can tell. And while I certainly could teleport her back, that is not possible in this instance. These coordinates only show me the longitude and latitude of where she ended up at. I don’t know her elevation, and I haven’t visited the place these coordinates show enough to get a fix on the location.”

“What about an airship?” Asked Pinkie.

“An excellent idea. But one that is sadly out of the question. For one, the location is too remote for an airship to be resupplied as needed, and if we were to load all of the supplies that would be needed for such an operation, it would be too slow to navigate or maneuver properly.”

“Then what do we do? And how do you know that Twilight isn’t in any danger?” Asked Fluttershy as well as her naturally soft voice would allow.

“For one, I Know Twilight isn’t in any danger because I placed an enchantment on her that would allow me to monitor her overall wellbeing should she ever find herself sufficiently displaced from Equestria. And as for what we do? That’s quite simple really: we do nothing.”

It is said, that to this day, if you listen closely enough in the throne room of Canterlot Castle, you can still hear the faint echoes of a zebra, a dragon, two Pegasi and Earth ponies, and one white unicorn voicing their disbelief at that proclamation.

And after the faint ringing in her ears had subsided, Celestia gave a response.

“Don’t worry my subjects! This ties in with what I stated previously! Or did you ignore me when I said I’ve traveled there before?”

There was a brief pause as what the Solar Princess stated was allowed to sink in.

“So, you’ve been there before?” Inquired Rarity for confirmation.

“Well, Luna and I have both been there a few times. And I can say that with complete certainty that Twilight will be back in Ponyville in no more than two weeks.”

“How?” questioned Applejack.

Celestia made to respond, but hesitated before closing her mouth and giving a slight, but noticeable smirk.

“You know, I think I’ll keep that to myself. It will give you all something to look forward too, and before you voice any complaints, you should know that if it was something that truly posed a threat to Twilight or any of my subjects, I would not stay silent on it. Nor would I do nothing about it myself.”

“What do we do in the meantime?”

“To answer your question Spike, you all should go back to your normal lives. You may stay here in the castle for the remainder of today and a chariot will take you all back tomorrow, or you can catch the train. Now I don’t mean to be rude, but if there isn’t anything else to discuss, I really should be getting back to day court.”

Taking the hint, Zecora, Spike, and five of the Element Bearers turned and proceeded to take their leave. And then Celestia spoke up again.

“Actually, Zecora, if you don’t mind I would like to have a short word with you before you leave.”

And there went the zebra shaman’s hopes for getting as far away from Celestia as possible. Nevertheless, she trotted up to the throne as everyone else took their leave. And when the doors closed, to her ears and overactive imagination, they sounded like the Gates of Armageddon sealing someone’s fate.

“Zecora, I wanted you to know that I’m not going to hold you responsible for what is in essence a freak accident. I’ve been around long enough to have learned that mistakes do happen. And in all honesty, you’ve put enough punishment on yourself as it is.”

Zecora wasn’t rendered speechless so much as she didn’t have anything to say in response. But at least one huge burden was lifted off of her withers. Nodding to show that she understood and appreciated Celestia’s understanding, the zebra herbalist proceeded to take her leave.

And as the doors closed behind her, Celestia allowed herself to relax and look out one of the many windows. And the last thing that went through her mind was that if she played her cards right, she and Luna would be able to meet and catch up with an old friend.

Author's Note:

Apologies for the cliffhanger, if one would call it that. This is probably the only time that I will be splitting a chapter into two parts as far as this story is concerned.

Two likes and two dislikes? Huh... not sure what the net worth is there.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment