• Published 9th Nov 2015
  • 2,220 Views, 24 Comments

Nothing Like You - flutteredchaos



What happens when Shy's mother takes in another troubled delinquent, who seems to have taken interest in her?

  • ...
10
 24
 2,220

Guest

"Shy, could you come in here for a moment." Her mother called in a serious tone.

"What's wrong, mom?" She asked curiously, entering the kitchen. Her mother paced around, whisking pancake batter.

"I wanted to let you know that we're going to be having a guest join us in a few days."

"Who?" she asked, unphased. Her mother was known as "The saint of cloudsdale," the town where they lived. She was persistently taking in newcomers and allowing them to stay for as long as months or years. Shy had had a foster brother for six years before his biological parents took him back into their home. Quite some time had passed since then.

"His name is Discord. His parents are close friends of mine who came to me practically begging for help. He's been causing quite a lot of chaos in his town. If he's in school, he's pulling pranks like stealing tests or releasing pigs into the gym, and if he's not, he's out doing who knows what." Her mother said, putting her hands on her hips.

"So...you want to invite him into our home?" She asked, biting her lip. People had fluttered in and out of her home many times through the years and never quite caused trouble. Shy knew that most of the people who came were just lonely and sad, and needed a friend.

"I've met him before, and i'm sure he's a good kid at heart. He just needs some guidance...and some friends." Her mother muttered, flipping a heart shaped pancake into the air. "He's seventeen, so close to your age. He'll be attending your school, and the plan is to send him home in December."

"I'm fifteen, not that close. And isn't it kind of inconvenient to send him home in the middle of the school year?" She asked, taking a seat on a padded stool.

"Well that's the plan. Things could change. Please, even if he gets on your nerves, be kind to him. Promise me?" she pleaded.

"Pinky promise." Shy smiled, crossing her heart. "Uh, mom?"

"Hmm?"

"Is his name really Discord?" She drawled his name, never having heard one quite like it.

"No, sweetie." She laughed. "People have called him that for so long, that his parents just went with it."

"Oh, okay." She finished her breakfast and grabbed her backpack, thoughts swirling in her mind. Her mother had never mentioned these close friends before. She hoped Discord would at least be kind and respect her mother, since she was kind enough to invite him into her home.

"Hey sugarcube, what's on your mind?" One of her best friends asked.

"Yeah, you seem a little lost in your thoughts." Twilight confessed.

"Oh, sorry. My mom told me this morning that we're taking in someone new soon."

"Who?" Rarity asked, flipping her velvet hair over her shoulder.

"Someone named Discord. He's having problems at home so-"

"Discord?" Dash chided.

"You know him?" Shy asked, a worried frown appearing at her friends' tone.

"I went to middle school with him. Guys a total jerk. He tripped me in the hall on the way to class!" She folded her arms. "You cannot let him live with you."

"Maybe it's another Discord." Mena shrugged.

"How many Discords do you know?" Dash retorted.

"Maybe he's changed. It's been a long time since middle school." Shy insisted.

"You were just saying how he's having problems at home." Twilight noted.

"...I guess you're right..but if I want to get on his good side, i'm going to give him the benifit of the doubt." She smiled, trying to convince herself more than her friends.

Days passed until the weekend had finally arrived. There was a fall festival happening over the weekend, complete with rides, food, and impossible games. Discord was supposed to arrive on Friday, just in time for the festival.

"I want you to take him with you." Her mother ordered.

"What?" She tried not to sound disrespectful. "I don't even really know him. And i'll be with my friends."

"Discord doesn't know anybody here, the festival is a great place to make friends and meet new people before he goes to a new school on Monday." She stated, trying just a little to guilt trip her sympathetic daughter.

"I suppose that's true...but what if he decides to cause some mischief?"

"He'll have you to keep him out of trouble." The blonde woman smiled smugly. Three loud knocks at the door alarmed Shy, causing her to jump.

"That must be him." Her mother smiled eagerly. Returning it with her own anxious smile, Shy excused herself to her room.

Staring at herself in the mirror, she gulped. She just wanted to have fun with her friends this weekend, but she loved her mother and wanted to make her happy. Complying to her mothers' wishes would mean making their new guest as comfortable as possible. She slipped into a knee length pink skirt with a yellow sweater, knowing it would be chilly that night. Staring into her mirror once again, she was startled by a disgruntled voice.

"So, you're Fluttershy, I presume?" The boy was leaned against her doorway, arms folded and a bored expression on his face.

"Just call me Shy." She blushed, embarrassed by her full name. Her mom had been quite the hippie when she was born.

"Right." He muttered, taking it upon himself to enter her room. "So Flutters," his eyes wandered around the room. "Nora says you're going to accompany me to this 'fall festival.' He said with air quotes. She stared at him, nervously. He had black hair with white on the top, almost reddish brown eyes, and tanned skin.

"That's right." She said, an anxious frown appearing on her face. Staring up at him, he was quite a bit taller than her. Suddenly she glanced out her window. With the sun going down, she decided they should leave. "Actually, we better get going if we're going to get there on time."

"You drive?" He inquired.

"No, my friend Dash does." As if on que, a horn honked from outside. He turned his head to the sound, then glanced back at the girl in front of him. He knew Nora had a daughter, but didn't know she was so...beautiful. Her wavy blonde hair flowed just above her elbows, as it seemed to hide her wide teal blue eyes. He would have to bed her before leaving. Whatever, he thought, shaking himself out of it. Who has time for girls when there's chaos to be made?

The two made their way into the living room, where her mother handed her cash, and quietly told her to watch out for their troubled guest. Nodding sternly, Shy put the money in her pocket and smiled nervously when Discord held the door open for her, a fake chivalrous smile on his face. Following her outside, he figured if he faked his innocence long enough he could get out of this retched place and return home. He didn't quite understand what drew him to chaos so strongly, he just knew that nothing made him laugh harder than his teachers frantically chasing wild pigs around his old high school gym. Laughing at his old antics, he found found himself being stared at by four girls, all squeezed into a run down looking truck. A girl with rainbow highlights in her hair sat at the wheel, squinting her eyes at him. Three girls sat next to her, a blonde haired girl with a cowboy hat and boots to match, a giddy looking one with light blue eyes and wild strawberry blonde hair, and a snooty looking one with velvet hair and seemingly porcelain skin. He burst out laughing. They all look like characters out of a TV show or something, he thought. Especially the cowgirl. Where does she think she is, the wild west?

"Discord, these are my friends. Dash, Rarity, Mena, and Jackie. Twilight is riding with her brother tonight so she's not here." Shy explained, praying her friends would be nice. Discord seemed strange, but she owed it to him to show him kindness.

"There's no room in here so you two will have to ride in the back." Dash called, starting the truck.

"Really wish I had my car right now." She grumbled. "This is totally not awesome."

"Well then you shouldn'tve totaled it." Jackie reprimanded. "Ah told you somethin' would happen if you kept on drivin' fast like that." With a roll of her eyes, she pressed the pedal. The degenerate vehicle jumped to a start, then screeched to a stop. Everyone screamed as they were thrown forward, saved by their seat belts. Pressing the pedal again, the vehicle took a slow start.

"Are you alright?" Shy asked him, as he rubbed his head. He had hit it after being thrown forward with the rest of them. He glanced up at her, ready to roll his eyes and grumble something sarcastic. Instead he just stared at her. Her hair was blowing around her face in the fast wind, her concerned wide teal eyes twinkling in the reflection of the moonlight. She seemed to be shivering as she hugged her arms tightly.

"Ah-I'm fine." He said, a warm feeling coming over him. What is wrong with me today? He rubbed the back of his neck. He really needed to do something about this girl. How could he cause any chaos when every time he looked into those stupid saucer eyes, he turned to puddy? He smiled suddenly. He knew just what to do.

"Poor Shy has to sit back there with him." Dash commented.

"Poor Shys' hair!" Rarity protested. "She'll never get those knots out!"

"Shy's fine, ya'll stop yer worryin'." They all exchanged uneasy glances, but nodded anyway at their friends' reassurance.

They arrived and met up with Twilight who was just saying goodbye to her brother.

"So what do you guys wanna do first?" Mena hopped up and down, Discord finding her voice incriminatingly annoying. Not like Shy's, he thought. Rolling his eyes at himself, he jumped in.

"I propose that you girls go and have fun, and we all go our separate ways."

"Well actually Discord, my mom told us not to leave each others sides." Shy said softly, not wanting to say that her mom really said for her not to leave his side.

"Did she now?" He demurred, his eyes burning into hers.

"B-but if you'd rather go on your own for a bit, that's okay." She gulped.

"No, no, Shutterfly, I'd much rather hang around you and your posse." He declared in a dramatic manner, pulling her close to him by her shoulders.

"O-okay." She glanced at her friends, they all shrugged in confusion. The night went on slowly, the five of them riding rides and playing games. Shy was too afraid to ride the rides, and Discord didn't want to ride with five snobby girls anyway. They were all laughing when suddenly, Shy caught something in the corner of her eye. A large stuffed white rabbit, just waiting to be won. She gasped, darting to the game booth. It was a baseball game, something she'd never been particularly good at. You had to take the bat, and hit a ball into the hole. She swallowed. Discord approached her, and she noticed he was alone.

"Where are my friends?" She asked.

"They ran off to ride some haunted maze ride." He told her, glancing at the game booth.

"Why do you want to play this?" He asked, not pegging her for the sports type.

"Oh, I really want that giant bunny. It looks just like my bunny at home, Angel." She explained.

"Five dollars for one try, ten for two." The booth owner grumbled in his chair. "You want a try, sweetheart?" He asked in a thick new york accent.

"One try, please." She said, pulling five dollars from her pocket. He took it and stuffed it into his pouch, handing her the baseball bat. She stood as best she knew how, and waited for the ball to fly. When it did, she swung as hard as she could, her eyes squeezed shut. She opened them when the bat came in contact with nothing but air. She could hear Discord laughing behind her.

"You completely missed!" He cackled. She looked back, tears filling her eyes. She set the bat down angrily and began walking away.

"Hey!" Discord called. "Come on Shutterfly, try again." He insisted.

"So you can laugh at me again? I have been nothing but nice to you Discord." She hissed.

"Look, if you want it so badly I will help you win the bunny." He uttered boredly. She gave him a shocked expression and followed him as they re-approached the game. Handing the man another five dollars, she took the bat.

"Now it's like this." He slithered around her, wrapping his arms around her waist and gripping her hands. She blushed crimson as she felt him pressed into her. Her heart began to pound as he took his arms and swung them back and forth, to demonstrate how to properly hit the ball. He released her, a look of confusion on his face.

"A-and keep your eyes open, this time, Shutterfly." He attempted to keep his voice nonchalant.
She smiled at him and whispered a small 'thank you'. Taking a step forward, she watched as the ball flew to her. She swung as the bat connected with the ball. It landed right next to the hole.

"Tough luck, kid." The game booth man uttered. She turned sadly.

"Maybe some other time." She smiled glumly up at him. Discord looked at her, then glared at the man.

"You give the girl the rabbit or we're going to have a problem." Discord growled, his face close to the mans.

"I-I can't do that if she doesn't win the game yo. Rules are rules!" He insisted.

"Discord, just leave him be!" Shy yelled.

"I give you five dollars, you give me the rabbit." Discord said. "It's a simple trade." He said with a shrug.

"Fine. Take it." The man threw his arms in the air. "I don't get paid enough for this." Unhooking it from the booth, he handed Discord the stuffed animal. Discord approached her smugly and held it out.

"You didn't have to do that. You can't threaten everyone to get what you want." She lectured, only half mad as she held the stuffed animal close.

"Who me? Threaten?" He asked, shocked. She giggled.

"Shutterfly-" He started. She glared at him. "Ahem, Shy- would you mind fetching me a bottle of water?"

"Sure, be right back." She smiled. He grinned.

"Hey Shy, where'd you get that aaaaadorable big bunny?" Mena asked as the five of her friends stood in line to buy food.

"Oh um...Discord helped me get it. From the baseball booth. I'm just here to get us some water. He's been really nice." She smiled. Maybe she was getting through to him in just the three hours they'd known each other. "Two waters please." She said to the lady.

"That'll be two dollars sweetheart." The woman said, pulling the waters from the outdoor freezer. Reaching into her pocket, she frowned. She dug her hand into the other one and found it like the first- empty.

"My money's gone!" She stuttered. The woman cocked an eyebrow.

"I knew this would happen! Twilight remarked angrily.

"He must have grabbed it when he had his arms around me."

"When he had what?!" Dash coughed, choking on her burger.
The six of them wandered around the festival grounds, searching for the decadent thief. Finally, Shy spotted him, leaving the grounds.

"Discord!" She snapped. He turned around.

"There you are. I've been looking for you everywhere." He lied, a dramatically 'worried' expression on his face.

"You were looking for me with my money?" She huffed.

"Uh-About that-"

"Seriously Discord? I really thought we were becoming friends."

"You-you thought we were friends?" He shut his eyes, thinking back to his home town. He had neighborhood kids who he occasionally got up to no good with, but he didn't consider them friends. "I've never had a friend before..." He pondered. Her anger softened. She sighed and looked up at him with a frown.

"Well now you do." She said stepping up to face him and taking his hand. "But give the money back."

"Very well, Flutters." He sighed, handing all of the cash back to her. What am I doing? He thought. I'm turning soft for some stupid girl who's afraid of her own shadow? And now she was forgiving him? His plan was to steal her money, get caught, get sent home- simple. Instead here she was, doe-eyed and smiling, offering him friendship. She really was more naive than he thought. I've seriously got to do something about this utterly loathsome feeling in my stomach, He thought as their hands touched briefly. Her five friends kept a close eye on him for most of the night, not feeling too happy about her forgiving him. They knew Shy's big heart could get her taken advantage of and stepped on sometimes. Eventually the night ended as Dash dropped them off.

"Did you guys have fun?" Her mother asked as they entered.

"Loads of fun, Nora."

"Yes mom."

"Did Discord win you that bunny?" She asked, a knowing smile ripping across her face. The two exchanged glances.

"More or less." He shrugged. "Well i'm going to hit the hay. Figuratively of course." He added. His room was right across from Shy's, but she tilted her head when he entered hers instead of his own. He shut the door and looked at her.

"What are you doi-" He grabbed her face and kissed her, pushing her into the wall. His lips mushed against hers roughly. Her eyes were wide open in shock, but they closed slowly. She kissed back, unsure of why. She'd never kissed anyone before. She wasn't even sure she was doing it right. His hands began roaming around, to the curve of her back, pushing her closer to him. Slowly, he realized his plan may be more genius than he thought. If Nora catches us together, kissing or..otherwise, It'll guarantee my return home! He pulled away slowly, his eyes transfixed on hers.

"Wha-what was that for?" She stuttered.

"What was what for?" He asked as he stepped out.

"Discord.." She followed.

"Oh that! What about it?"

"You hardly know me!" She piped, following him into his room.

"Goodnight, Shutterfly." He grinned, shutting off his light and pretending to pass out in his bed. She furrowed her brow, and exited the room with a huff. Laying down on her own bed that night, she glanced at the stuffed rabbit. She had a lot to tell the girls tomorrow.

Author's Note:

I hope you enjoyed, and I hope the changes to names and hair colors don't take too much away from the characters we all know and love. Please review and thanks for reading :)