• Published 31st Oct 2015
  • 1,423 Views, 38 Comments

Twilight's Sister - MyShyPetRock



You know the life of Twilight Sparkle and Shining Armor, but what about the life of the unwanted sister of the two? This is the story of Starry Night, the lost, forgotten, and unwanted sibling of Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
2
 38
 1,423

At Last, We Meet

“Wake up, Starry Night, it’s time for breakfast!” Shoeshine sang with a large smile. Starry Night’s eyes slowly cracked open from a restless slumber, seeing a much too enthusiastic Shoeshine atop of her.

“Well come on, sleepy head! Cherry Berry is already down in the cafeteria!” She said in a squeaky voice. Starry Night, not wanting to, rolled slowly out of bed and down to the cafeteria for breakfast.

“So how old are you, Starry? Both Cherry Berry and I are twelve!” Shoeshine asked during breakfast (which was a huge pile of flapjacks drowning in sweet syrup. Starry Night didn’t even make a dent in the humongous pile of food!).

“Oh...I’m twelve, too. I think, I’m not really sure,” She lied while also trying not to lie completely. If she told them her real age, which was actually eight, she was afraid that they wouldn’t like her as much. They both nodded.

“A little small for your age,” Cherry Berry said, “But some fillies are like that, I suppose.”
Cherry Berry took a bite of her pancakes, and with her mouth full, she pointed over to the glass window Starry Night had seen earlier.

“You know, Starry, a little bird told me that you had a liking for little Scootaloo,” Cherry Berry stated, she swallowed and continued, “Is that right?”

“That ‘little bird’ was Nosy Parker, wasn’t it, Cherry Berry?” Shoeshine laughed.

“It seems like he knows things before they come out of some pony’s mouth!”
Cherry Berry nodded and looked back at Starry Night.

“Yeah...she’s just...different, that’s all,” Starry replied, “That’s why I like her!”

“I don’t see anything special about her, really,” Shoeshine muttered, stuffing her mouth with another bite of flapjacks. Cherry Berry shrugged.

“You could go over there and hold her, you know,” she said, nudging Starry Night. “Shoeshine and I do it tons of times! We just sneak into their room and hide for a bit,”

“Me? Hold Scootaloo? No way! I’m too much of a klutz. With my luck, I’ll drop her or something!” Starry Night protested, though she was tempted. Cherry Berry wasn’t going to tolerate that, though.

“Absolutely not! If you want to hold Scootaloo then go on ahead! Come on, I’ll show you. After breakfast, we have a fifteen minute break to do whatever we want. We’ll go then!” Cherry Berry said.

“Are we allowed to?” Starry Night asked.

“Eh, we’ll be fine! As long as we go behind Mrs. Peach’s back, it’ll be alright!” Cherry Berry assured with believable certainty. Although, she wasn’t too certain that they wouldn’t get caught sneaking in. Her and Shoeshine had been lucky not to.


Breakfast ended soon after the two foals had finished their conversation. Cherry Berry was ready, Starry Night...she was not as enthusiastic about sneaking in.

“Come on, Mrs. Peach is over there lecturing some pony, now is our chance to see Scootaloo!” Cherry Berry whispered. The two had been playing cards until the right time came. They were obviously close to the newborn foal’s nursery.
Starry Night looked at the door. There was a lock on the handle.

“Do you know the combination?” Starry Night asked as she and Cherry Berry sprang from their prior places and shot towards the door.

“Certainly,” Cherry Berry replied. Cherry Berry had to stand on her two hind legs to reach the lock and twist the combination. She fumbled with the handle a few times, then it opened without a sound.

“The combo is ‘8862.’ I’m not sure why, but I’ve seen Mrs. Peach do it millions of times! Now come on, before some pony sees!” Cherry Berry explained. She held the door for Starry Night, who tumbled in, then joined her inside the nursery, making sure she shut the door.

The two fillies were just small enough to fit under the small gap of wall before the huge window began. They were lucky, for, if they had been any taller, they would be in seeing range.

“Do you remember which crib she was in?” Cherry Berry whispered, raising a hoof.

“She was in the front row, I remember…” Starry Night whispered back. She looked up. They couldn’t see the fillies in the cribs, they were too high up, but dangling from each one was the tip of a small tail. All Starry Night had to do was search for that beautiful raspberry color.

The first crib held a foal with an orange tail, the next, a blue tail, the third, a tail that matched what they were looking for. It was Scootaloo.

“Cherry Berry, I found her!” Starry Night whispered excitedly.

“Good job!” Cherry Berry congratulated as she walked over to the crib, “Now, get on top of my shoulders so you can reach her!”
Starry Night obeyed and climbed on top of her friend. After doing so, she could see her future peer, laying there like a perfect angel.

An angel she was, too. Starry Night gingerly scooped the sleeping foal up into her front hooves and climbed off of Cherry Berry’s shoulders (Which required assistance from her) when she realized that the small foal she held in her arms was a beautiful pegasus. Starry Night gasped.

“Look, she’s opening her eyes!” Cherry Berry pointed out. She was right, the small filly’s eyes were fluttering open, and as it happened, Starry Night’s heart melted.

Her prepossessing eyes gleamed similar to that of her mane. Her orange fur felt like satin against Starry Night’s arms and hooves. She could feel the foal’s wings flutter softly from underneath her. She wished that the moment would never end. That is, until Scootaloo began to cry.

“Hush! Shush! Please stop crying!” Starry Night yelped.
‘What did I do wrong!?’ She asked herself. Starry Night was about to ask Cherry Berry for guidance, but found that she was now hidden under one of the cribs, a hoof to her mouth. Starry Night was about to ask why she was doing so, when she heard a demanding voice.

“Put that foal down, this instant! What are you doing in here, Miss. Starry Night?!” Mrs. Peach’s stern voice rang aloud from behind the scared filly.

Starry Night found that no words would escape her mouth at the moment. Mrs. Peach grabbed Scootaloo and put her back into her crib.
“You are not allowed in here! Do you understand?!” Mrs. Peach asked. Before Starry could answer, Mrs. Peach grabbed her by the ear and pulled her out of the room, murmuring something about punishment.
‘She didn’t see Cherry Berry?’ Starry Night asked herself, devastated. She knew that her friend felt bad, and was desperate to apologize because as Starry was being led from the room, she could see Cherry Berry catch the door before it closed and sneaked out. She looked directly at Starry and mouthed the words, ‘I’m sorry.’

Starry Night smiled back, even though she was being dragged away by an angry mare. She didn’t care about that. She didn’t care that all of the other foal’s eyes were on her at the moment. She didn’t even care that she had been sent to an orphanage! She had just gotten to hold, and look into the eyes of Scootaloo, the filly in which she was desperate to be friends with. Even though it had just been for a moment, it was the best moment of her life. She had just met Scootaloo for the very first time, and Starry Night was not going to let it be her last!

Author's Note:

I'm sorry its been so long since I've updated this story! DX But I hope this makes up for it!

Comments ( 11 )

Merry Christmas!!!

Awesome job and Merry Christmas! :pinkiehappy:

6767356 Thanks!! And same to you!

Ooh, this is interesting. I wonder why Starry is so fascinated with Scootaloo. Great job, as usual. :twilightsmile:

6770975 Thank you!! Sorry it took me so long to reply. I've been super duper busy! :pinkiesad2:

That sounds like she's going to completely forgive them despite their obscene discrimination and abandonment of her.

Yeah hell nnope.

Just....Nnope. :ajbemused:

6967777 Lol yeah, sorry about that. :pinkiesad2: I just wanted to show Starry's kind nature. I really thank you for your input, though. All advice helps! :twilightsmile:

6968888 My advice? Go the opposite route. :facehoof:

Looking through old stories and found this again. Man, it's been a long time seeing any updates. What's happening?

Login or register to comment