• Published 2nd Oct 2015
  • 2,743 Views, 110 Comments

Questions and Answers with House Path - AlaskaIsCold



Long Path travels to Canterlot and runs a series of seminars for the University of Canterlot Journalism Department.

  • ...
3
 110
 2,743

8

A thirty-something, midnight blue Thestral with a red-orange mane and tail caught the ball in her wings.
"Hello, my name is Starfall. What sort of plans do we and the Federation have for the former Swarm worlds and their inhabitants?"

Free leaned forward. “We’ve been in contact with the Federation and received reports from ships they have sent to all their colony worlds that had been taken over. To a large extent, the problem is resolving itself. The survivors have killed all remaining Swarm creatures and the Federation is helping the colonists dismantle or repurpose any Swarm infrastructure that remains." Free frowned. "Unfortunately, on a few worlds, the Swarm apparently decided that the native population was not 'useful' and they were all exterminated. Perhaps for reasons of morale, the Federation has already committed to recolonize those worlds in short order." His expression softened. "However, I think you were asking about the Swarm worlds throughout the galaxy.” Starfall nodded. “The gestalt and hive that bonded with Wandering Path confirmed that numerous other sentient races...spacefaring and otherwise...had been subjugated by the Swarm. We suspect that a similar culling is taking place on those worlds.”

Path then spoke up. “Sanguis Silverquill is leading the efforts to eradicate the Swarm throughout uncolonized Federation worlds. In fact, she's developed something of a cult following – many consider her to be the embodiment of all it means to be a griffon, Colonel Silverquill and her platoons have been going from world to world eradicating the hostile hive remnants or culling the hostile creatures now freed from hive control. Other griffons have joined her, as well as some federation colonists. She's also a big hit with the Rakshani. We think that with her efforts the remaining Swarm in Federation territory should be dealt with soon.”

A light brown pegasus stallion with dark grey mane and white fire patterned wings, with a white flaming fox for a cutie mark, grabbed the ball with the tip of his right wing and balanced it there:
"Greetings, my name is Burning Spirit and I would like to know what happened with the mana eating animals the Swarm used?"

Path looked over to the stallion. “Ah, the mana beasts! Well, we found a breeding center for them on Halcyon III. We are now in the process of gathering a population primarily because of how they pump out a tonne of love for anything that feeds them even a little mana. They could be extremely useful as companions to changelings, for example. The hive queens on Equus have already pooled their resources to research if the beasts can be incorporated into their hives. Separately, Star Corps is debating the idea of bringing a few of them to their science stations for continued study to figure out their physiology.”

The ball was caught in the copper-colored legs of an earth pony mare, whose upper body was the color of tarnished metal, like a well cared for cooking pan. "I'm Hot Skillet, from Vanhoover. My father-in-law is the Chief Engineer of the Lotus. About when is the Lotus expected to return?" she asked in a rich mellow voice. "He would not say a word about what their plans were after leaving Equus, or when they planned on returning."

Path nodded. “The GEC has given Captain Bluequill fairly wide latitude on his mission. The Cosmic Lotus has been give a wide range of goals, from further exploration to diplomatic visits to the homeworlds of some of the other species in the galaxy. It’s up to the Captain’s discretion what order to perform them, or to pursue other paths if they present themselves. We are in constant contact with them and with their advanced warp drive, distance is less of an issue than ever before. I expect them to return frequently during their five-year mission.”

A short, lithe zebra snatched the ball with her prosthetic wings. "Kopara tae Potion of the Zebrica exchange program – wondering if House Path is going to craft another exploration ship soon and where to sign up."

Free looked to the zebra and turned back to Path with wide eyes. “If Pif and Hype say you can spill the beans, then do it.” The pony laughed before Free spoke up.

“Currently, the Lunar Republic Shipyards are working on five new ships. So far, they are just at the stage of being drawn up. Two identical exploration ships using a new kind of drive that incorporates the Federation warp tech as well as some new magitek that my daughters have been cooking up. We now have detailed star maps of Federation space, so we know the extent of their search. We are planning on exploring the outer edges of our galaxy since they have not gone there before. Then two trade ships to move goods back and forth between Emu Island colony on Chakona which will be developing into not only a residential colony but also Equus’ Federation-side trade port and embassies. Lastly, a passenger vessel to ferry those wanting to visit back and forth. Since we are still working on ironing out the tourism angle, the passenger ship is going to be built last. And there is one amazing thing we are considering but we have to wait until the technology is proven before we go down that road, I would talk about it but I have two changeling princesses and four different think tanks yelling at me to keep my mouth shut. But Path and I are pushing for it. We expect this first batch of ships should be up and running in a few years as well. So if you want to sign up, finish up the exchange program and then talk to your local headmaster.”

A thick prehensile tail shot up and snagged the ball. The owner was a gray chakat in a Starfleet uniform. “I assume any creature is welcome to ask a question here. I’m Ensign Graytuft, on temporary station in Equestria. I've had a bit of shore leave here, and so far this world amazes me. I was wondering if or when Equestria would be open to tourists?"

Path looked over to the Chakat and smiled. “I am glad that you have had time to enjoy Equus, if you decide to visit the Crystal Kingdom, be sure to get a suppressor necklace from the House before you leave. We ran into an issue with the first Chakat who entered the kingdom – turns out that mixing an empathetic species and a concentrated field of love can cause some humorous problems.” Path looked pointedly at Free. “Not entirely unprecedented problems, in fact.”

Free grinned widely and extended his wings. “The Alicorn of Awesome will never be forgotten!”

Path sighed. “So much for trying to make you feel chagrined. I should have known better by now.”

Free folded his wings again and nudged Path in the side. “But it’s still cute when you try.”

Path rolled his eyes and returned his gaze to the chakat. “But, all joking aside, the GEC hasn't opened up the world for tourists because we are still working on setting up the Far Star Checkpoint Station. So it will be at least a few years before tourism can be fully established. Not to mention, we are running into a problem with currencies. For example, you use the Federation Credit. It is roughly standardized in all Federation systems, but here we use The Equestrian Bit, the Griffonian Crown, the Zebrican Kwacha, and on top of that they are made of metals that we don't consider precious but you do, like gold. And I’m not even going to go into the absurd overvaluing of precious stones and jewels brought about by your cartels. Add to that abstract concepts like how the hives trade exclusively with each other using the Amore, a small unit of solidified love gel. So before we can have tourists, we need to iron out the currency problem. Once those two hurdles are cleared, I feel that the GEC will open the borders. Meanwhile, there will still be some visitors allowed such as yourself on shore leave. Oh, one more thing. Right now, only two Federation ships have the capacity to open the gate. ” Path took a deep breath of air once his diatribe was over and laughed. “I wasn't expecting to give such a long-winded response, but there you are!”

Free huffed. “You are just happy there are more languages to learn.”

A small purple pegasus with yellow highlights on the end of his wings politely asked for the ball then received it. “I am Corn Top, and my question is how House Path gets its funding and how it currently pays for all its operations?”

Path blinked. This was something he only had half an answer for. “Well, you all know that Magitek Incorporated and by extension House Path receives royalties from the GemVee and associated technologies. These allowed us to finance the initial space exploration program up to and including the Cosmic Lotus mission. Beyond that revenue stream, I’m afraid I can’t help you. Ever since Lucida took over, I’ve been kept out of the finances. I am good at a lot of things but managing the money side isn’t one of them. I was upset because she wouldn't let the House start the Space Program right after the end of the Nightmare War, but the finances and technology just weren’t there. In retrospect, even if we had gotten an earlier start, we would not be any further along now because it took the Federation to show us the possibilities of warp drive, and the Swarm Invasion to force us to cooperate.” He laughed a bit. “But I’m straying off topic. The short answer is that you’re better served by asking Lucida and Gisela because they don't let me near the account books.”

Free leaned to the side. “It’s for the best really.”

The ball flew through the air heading for the face of a yellow earth pony mare with burgundy hair haphazardly hanging over half her face. Her single brown eye went wide then flinched preparing for impact, but a golden aura encapsulated it, catching it before it hit her face. The aura belonged to the turquoise unicorn next to her, with a blonde mane with pink tips. Her ears wiggled, causing multiple earrings to twinkle in the light, as she gave a small smirk to the yellow mare next to her, receiving a wry glance in return.

The unicorn then turned to Path and says, "Hi I'm Wishful Cinch. My best friend here is Bourgeois Bloom, and we were wondering if the recent discoveries about our origin from the planet Earth has illuminated the mystery as to why humans have such an adverse effect on only ponies?"

Free spoke up. “I have an idea about that, but it is just a theory at this point. There are some non-sapient animals in Griffonia that instinctively run if they are spotted by a griffon, likewise there are the feral goats in the dragon lands than run from the dragons. I think that this is the reason why ponies are afraid of humans, maybe they were hunted or killed en-masse by human long ago and that acquired trait had yet to fade? Changelings were not around during this time so we don't fear man. Griffons and dragons can hold their own and they are fine around them. It just seems to be ponies that have this fear. We even did a test way back with all three ponies races plus Flurry Heart. None had seen a human before and a picture of one caused them all to lay back their ears and bare their teeth for a short time before they calmed back down. For an unlucky few, some of this initial reaction doesn’t go away. Path still has a bit of this fear whenever Boyce is around. I know; I can feel it.”

Path looked away, quite embarrassed.

Free continued. “At this point, I think that while Equus may be opened in the near future for chakats and other Federation species. For the time being, humans might be restricted to special visas under tight conditions so we don't risk widespread panic every time one of them arrives.”

Free tapped his muzzle a few times with his hoof. “It is very troubling indeed.”

Path turned back to the audience and spoke up. “The House has asked the Science Corp to provide a team of skunktaurs and other mental health experts to work with our yellow changelings to find a way to eliminate or at least ameliorate this problem.”

The next recipient of the ball was a stocky zebra stallion with a wide smile. “Hey! Name's Maneyard from the Southern Zebra Tribes and I would like to know if you plan to settle on planets of the Federation and if you want to do so, how can someone participate?"

Path’s eyes lit up, and he clapped his hooves together. “Oh, yes! Well, first of all, there is Emu Island – a moderate-size island that the Prime Minister of Chakona ceded to the Lunar Republic so they had a base of operations during the conflict. We are talking to their government about turning it into a full-on colony and they are more than excited about that. Also, one of the major projects we are working on is repeatable, long-range teleportation. We know it is possible, but currently, it requires alicorn-level power. We’re trying to make a magitek alternative. So from say, Canterlot, you would teleport for processing at the Lunar Station to go through their customs, then teleport again to the Far Star Checkpoint Station Equus side. We’ll move an Equian troop transport ship for shuttling people and material through the Gateway. You would check in at the Chakona-side Checkpoint Station for Federation customs, then teleport directly to Emu Island. I think it's a good plan, but like I said, it may be many, many years before this can happen. The GEC is also talking to the Federation about ceding a few of the liberated planets for Equus to have more off-world colonies. It's just taking a lot of time to get through the red tape as well as figure out what planets would be suitable for what races. You wouldn't want a seapony on a desert planet, or any pony on a world that has no ozone layer to protect from harmful radiation, right? Right now, the GEC has applied for a dozen worlds. However, or the first wave of colonization, I am actually thinking that we need less; maybe five or so planets each in a different star system. The real exciting stuff is what happens afterward we plan to–”

A bright flash appeared next to Path and a rolled up newspaper came down on his nose with enough force to tilt his entire head down. Pif was standing there with the roll held in her magic. Citrine stood by her side and just grinned over at Path as Pif scolded him.

“No! Bad! We do not talk about things that are still in the conjecture phase of development!”

Free chuckled and turned back to the audience. “Let’s take a question from the folks listening in. The telecom system will select one of the questioners now.”

A voice came in over the speakers. “Hello? Is this thing on? Hello?”

Free smiled widely. “Yes, you are on Radio Free Equus, also known as Radio Free Agent! Please ask your question!” He turned to Pif. “I’ve always wanted to say that!” Pif narrowed her eyes and threatened him with the newspaper.

“Yes, this is Amethyst Berry from the Crystal Kingdom branch of House Path. I read about Flix creating a stable, uh, doorway between Equus and Chakona. Couldn’t you just ask him to create a bunch of those? Or recreate them with Chaos magic? Thank you!”

Path shook his head, then stopped, remembering the speaker would not be able to see him. “We asked Flix if he’d be willing to set up a network of permanent gateways for us but he said it was not feasible. His understanding of the forces of Chaos is largely instinctual, and he struggled to put into words precisely why it wouldn’t work. From what I could gather, the nature of Chaos magic requires considerable disorder to offset anything that creates order or harmony, such as an incredibly useful doorway between worlds. Flix had to take into account the small amount of time it could be open, the limited number of beings to use it, and numerous other factors that were beneficial. This had to be offset by the disruption in the Chakona status quo caused by his club being open for a week; enough time to disrupt the Chakonans’ social lives but not long enough for them to get used to it. At the time, we thought he was unaware of the short-term crash in the price of gold commodities futures his payments would cause, but now I’m convinced he was counting on it.”

Author's Note:

So the first round of questions is finished!
Me, Goldfur and, Airy Words are working on the questions as they come in.
However Gold is on vacation so we are trying not to bother him too much.

Keep commenting with your questions!