• Published 30th May 2012
  • 792 Views, 10 Comments

The Disarray Trilogy Part 2: The Great And Powerful Trixie - Ink Blotch



The second part of the Disarray Trilogy. Trixie vowed one thing: revenge on Twilight and her friends

  • ...
3
 10
 792

Chapter 2: The First Day Of Spring

The Disarray Trilogy Part 2
The Great and Powerful Trixie
By Walker “Ink Blotch” Holden

Chapter 2: The First Day Of Spring

Monarch opened his eyes waking from his deep slumber from the night before. He sat up in bed yawned and stretched popping his joints. Since his last encounter with booze Monarch had sworn off alcohol completely so he had not partaken in the beverages from the party from the night before as to avoid another hangover.

Monarch examined the clock he had hanging on his wall, It read 11:32. Monarch pulled the covers off of his body but instantly regretted it. His room was freezing. During winter Monarch had had a spell cast on his broken windows from his experiments to keep the cold out. In preparation for spring Monarch had lifted the spell the day before. But know he could see his breath.

“Wh-what g-g-gives?” He asked nopony in particular his teeth chattering.

Monarch’s orange painted room was completely frozen over. When putting a hoof to the ground Monarch retracted it from the cold. Finding a pair of slippers under his bed he slid them on and walked to one of his windows. Looking outside Monarch was met with complete madness.

Outside the clear streets from yesterday were now covered in what had to be at least six feet of snow. Doors were completely covered so some ponies had taken ladders and had traveled from the upper windows of their houses to the snow below.

The sky above was dark and gray and blocked out the sun on the other side. Snow continued to flurry from the sky.

Many earth ponies and unicorns were in the streets wearing heavy coats and snow shoes. Most of them were silent staring expectantly at the skies while others talked in lowered tones so nopony could hear them.

Monarch stepped away from the window and got himself geared up. He levitated his coat to himself and zipped it up. Next he went out into the hallway.The house was unusually quiet as Monarch crept down the stairs to the living room.

Again unusually quiet. The brother’s living room was one of the most unused rooms in the house thus it was one of the cleanest. The only mess was where Monarch saw his original plan cave in as he saw somepony else had had the same idea and had met the obvious conclusion. The door was wide open and the snow from outside had fallen into the house in an avalanche. A hole in the snow marked where somepony had been buried and had dug their way out. Watery hoof prints lead back to the stairs.

Monarch decided that the best way to get to the bottom of things was to follow the hoofprints up again. The prints dried up somewhere halfway along the stairs. Monarch knew that it would have been Rage who had tried to go out the door but curiosity as always pulled him away from the earth pony’s room.

Behind the door to Silver’s room were a short flight of stairs. Silver’s pegasi instincts had always craved heights so with a bit of magic his room had been elevated and transformed into a tower of sorts and a another flight of stairs built for more comfortable conditions.

At the top Silver’s room was round and painted sky blue unsurprisingly. Clouds lazily drifted around the ceiling occasionally stopping to hover for a bit before continuing. Monarch did his best to ignore the closed cardboard box leaking chocolate milk with the label: “DO NOT OPEN” and instead inspected Silver’s bed.

Usually Silver was quite good at remembering to make his bed during the morning but today the sheets were tossed aside as if in a hurry and his window was wide open. It didn't take a genius to figure out that Silver had obviously left for the weather team office but Monarch wished that his brother had thought to tell him about the snow.

Finally making his way to Rage’s room Monarch contemplated the origin of the snow. It just did not make sense no matter how he looked at it. From what he knew once Winter was ended the snow did not return unless by the actions of a pegasus. Monarch only knew of one other creature that could control snow and ice and the entire species had been dealt with long ago.

Rage’s door had been left open so Monarch invited himself in. Rage’s room was the cleanest in the whole house. He had red painted walls and a large poster with the Ponyville police logo of a star and shield on it and a concert poster for Blues the local saxaphone player.

Rage had a window that overlooked the back yard. Outside this window Monarch found the ladder and at the bottom could see hoof prints leading to the front yard.After sliding down Monarch followed the hoof prints in the snow from his earth pony brother. Once out front the prints were impossible to follow but Monarch knew exactly where he should go.

*****************************************************************************************


Monarch found it difficult to trot through such deep snow. Occasionally his leg fell through and he would struggle to free it other times he would kick buried lamp posts and stub his hoof. But before too long he finally made it to his destination.

Outside the library Twilight Sparkle and Spike stood in a melted niche from the snow. Spike was inhaling to release a jet of emerald green flames that melted another few feet of snow. Twilight dressed in a purple coat was looking around at the snow frantically finally making eye contact with Monarch she leapt onto the higher level of snow to meet him.

“Monarch! Do you? I mean have you seen? I-Ijust don’t know what happened.”

“Well” said Monarch. “ That makes two of us.”

“Spike and I woke up and didn’t even notice the snow until we opened the door and it poured into the library. He was able to melt some but…” She glanced at Spike sitting on the ground catching his breath. “I don’t think he can keep at it.”

Twilight levitated Spike from his sitting position onto her back. He continued to catch his breath but managed “*gasp* Thanks Twilight.*gasp*”

Monarch suddenly remembered the absence of his brothers and asked T “Have you seen Silver Lining?”

Twilight thought for a moment. “No” She answered “In fact… I haven’t seen any pegasi.”

It was true the sky was nothing but cold dark clouds. The familiar colored wings did not grace the skies for now. Monarch shook this off. For now they needed information. Winter didn’t just unwrap itself like this. They decided to head towards the center of town. This hunch was fruitful for at the town square a large group of earth ponies and unicorns had gathered.

At the center gazebo Mayor Mare along with her aides stood trying to get the attention of the crowd but they were too busy yelling and arguing. On the edge of the crowd were police ponies trying to keep the peace and calm everypony down long enough to listen to the mayor.

After a moment of searching Monarch, Twilight and Spike found the police pony they were looking for. Standing on the edge of the crowd with Rarity, Applejack, Big Mac, Pinkie Pie and the only Pegasus in the crowd Fluttershy Rage was trying his best to out yell the crowd.

“I SAID SHUT YER FACES! AW TO TARTARUS WITH IT!” and he gave up turning to the group of friends. “Any of you lot have any ideas?”

“Ah think that the best course of action might be tah let them burn out.” Applejack suggested.

Rage rolled his eyes. “The thing with that bad idea is that they won't burn out! They will only grow even more out of control until this whole thing is one huge riot.”

Applejack looked a bit hurt at Rage’s bluntness but noticed Twilight’s approach. “Twilight, finally. We were bout to come fer y’all but we got ourselves roped in wit this crowd.”

“It’s ok AJ. But what is happening here?”

“We don’t know Twilight. All ah know is that when I went tah bed last night it was all ready fer spring but this mornen there was snow all over mah freshly plowed fields!”

Pinkie popped in between the both of them. “And sugar cube corner is completely snowed in! Me, Pound Cake and Pumpkin Cake kept trying to go out and play in the snow but Cup Cake and Carrot Cake wouldn’t let us! Instead they started a fire and tried to get the baby Cakes to calm down but we were all riled up now! And then we-” What Pinkie did next would remain a mystery because Rarity had taken her hoof and plugged Pinkie’s mouth.

“Erm, I think that she gets the idea deary.”

Twilight asked Fluttershy “Do you know what happened to all of the pegasi Fluttershy?”

Fluttershy opened her mouth to answer but from nearby the unicorn Lyra had overheard and was now making herself involved in the conversation. “Hey yeah where are the pegasi? Is this your kind of a joke? Because let me tell you nopony is laughing you little twerp!”

Fluttershy squeaked in fear and tried to defend herself. “Oh no I would never-”

But once again she was interrupted by another mare. This time Bon-Bon. “You know what Lyra? You are absolutely right! A snow storm hits in the middle of the night and now no pegasi are around? It had to have been them nopony else can control the weather. So spill it clouds for brains where are your comrades?!”

Fluttershy squeaked as the two ponies surrounded her but they were intercepted by Applejack. Standing in between the earth ponies and Fluttershy Applejack said with a glare “Nope.”

The mares were caught off guard by Applejack’s protection of the smaller pegasus and took a few steps back. Returning to their spiteful looks Lyra said “Come on Bon we can find out where the pegasi are hiding later.”

The two ponies hoofed it into the crowd away from big Macintosh. When they were gone Fluttershy looked around Big Mac’s hulking body to make sure that they were gone before saying to her savior “Applejack thank you for getting those two to go away. They usually aren't like that I just don't know what could have gotten into them...”


“Uh… Fluttershy? The pegasi?” Twilight asked.

“Hm? Oh yes! Well the truth is… I don’t know where the pegasi are. They probably are doing something about the snow since all of them besides Derpy and myself are on the weather team.”

Almost as if it had been a convenient plot device after Fluttershy ended her sentence from the clouds above the pegasi of Ponyville flew down in a V shaped alignment. The arguing of the ponies below ended as they looked up at the formation of pegasi and spread out to give them a landing space.

The pegasi tightened formation and descended into the square. At the head of the group were Rainbow Dash, Silver Lining and Rainy Days who landed in front of the gazebo and Mayor Mare.

The mayor looked relieved to have the pegasi of the weather team present. “Oh thank Celestia!” She said. “Please tell me that you have some news on the situation?”

Rainbow Dash panted for a moment with her team before opening her mouth to answer but Bon-Bon from earlier had shoved her way to the front of the crowd. “What is wrong with you?” She demanded. “Ruining all of our hard work just for some twisted joke? You should be ashamed of yourselves!”

Silver and Rainy both leapt to the gazebo and hid behind the mayor peeking over her shoulders. At first this seemed strange but when everypony in the crowd saw Rainbow Dash it was understood. She seemed no better if not worse than the day before.

“WHAT WAS THAT YOU UNGRATEFUL TWERP?!” She yelled.

Lyra and a small group of earth ponies were now backing up Bon-Bon and were shouting out accusations and insults to the pegasi. In return the pegasi acted no better. Before long the arguing had began and again and nopony would be quite long enough for the predicament to be explained.

The noise was getting to Twilight. It seemed the only sane ponies left were herself, her friends, Mayor Mare, Rainy Days and Silver Lining. Twilight suddenly felt a chill from a strong northern wind. Looking to the sky she saw the clouds begin to pour out a blizzard. Nopony besides she and her friends noticed it. Something had to be done or else things could only get worse from here.

“Hey big guy.” Rage tapped Big Macintosh on the shoulder.

“Eeyup?”

“Do that thing, you know that thing from yesterday.”

“Eeyup.”

Twilight wondered what the two colts could be talking about, the noise she heard next made the crowd sound like an annoying fly.

“EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP!”

The entire crowd was reduced to murmurs as everypony looked around for the source of the noise. Those closest to Big Mac however had gone temporarily deaf from the loud noise except for Rage who had in foresight plugged his ears with his hooves.


Mayor Mare saw her opportunity and seized the moment of peace and addressed the crowd. “Fillies and gentlecolts! We are now going to hear the weather team’s report on the snow storms. I want nopony” She glanced at Lyra and Bon-Bon. “To interrupt them. Now then Rainbow Dash? Please begin. From the very beginning if you don’t mind.”

Rainbow inhaled preparing her story. Silver and Rainy had returned to her side and everypony in the audience was silent.

“Ok” Began Rainbow. “To be perfectly honest I got wasted at the spring has sprung party last night. So this morning I was one of the last to know about the snow until some other pegasi found me at home and woke me up. The entire weather team got together at about four this morning and we tried to get rid of the clouds. But no matter what we tried we just couldn’t get rid of them! We tried everything. We tried blowing them away, smashing them away, even eating them away but no matter what we try they just won't budge.”

“And you don’t know where they came from?” Asked Mayor Mare.

Rainbow Dash shook her head.

Twilight could feel the guilt from the other ponies in the crowd who had moments ago yelled at the pegasi who had just spent the entire morning trying to get rid of the renegade clouds.
*************************************************************


After the town meeting everypony had been told to return to their homes for now and await a solution from Mayor Mare. After everypony had left Mayor Mare had gone to Twilight and begged on her knees for the unicorn and her friends to help. All nine ponies and one dragon agreed to help. Big Macintosh had returned home to watch Applebloom and Granny Smith.

The think tank gathered at the library and the first thing they did was write two letters. One to princess Celestia, the other to Discord.

“What?” Monarch had asked when Twilight gave him a judging look. “He’s been around for awhile. Plus this seems much more his domain.”

So they had written two letters. The first read:

Dear Princess Celestia,
A mysterious snow storm has taken Ponyville covering the entire town in a blanket of snow. The clouds producing this snow are immovable to the weather team and I am at a loss. Also almost all of the ponies in Ponyville are very on edge and burst out at the slightest thing. I ask that you please help us in any way shape or form. We have also contacted Discord on the situation for his advice.
Sincerely your faithful student, Twilight Sparkle.


The letter to Discord read.

Discord and/or Rubik Cube,
First of all it wasn’t me. Second of all you are probably reading this message the same time as Celestia so she will know what I am about to tell you. Ponyville has been snowed over by a blizzard. It is immovable to the weather team and the town is in hysterics. You would love it here. Any advice would be helpful.
Your abomination, Monarch Wisdom Disarray

Once both letters were done and rolled into scrolls Spike took them to the window and exhaled them into a swirl of green flames. Now all they could do was wait. They didn’t wait long because about thirty seconds later Spike burped up two rolled up scrolls. Both of them read:

We’re sorry [RECEPTINT”S NAME HERE] but the pony who you have tried to reach is unavailable. Please rewrite your message and try again. Thank you.

“What does it mean?” Spike asked Twilight.

Twilight replied “Well it means that something has either happened to Canterlot, Celestia, or both. I was half expecting this with Discord’s message since we usually send any for him straight to Celestia. But something must be wrong… You don’t think something like this could have affected Canterlot do you?”

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. “No egghead. Canterlot’s weather team has the wonderbolts and some of the other greatest fliers in Equestria working twenty-four seven. Think before you ask.”

Twilight was finished with Rainbow’s attitude. “Ok Rainbow, what is your problem? You have been like this since yesterday. You can't be like this to us. I want to work with you but not if you're going to bite somepony’s head off every time they talk!”

Rainbow was about to reply with another nasty retort but stopped herself took a deep breath and l gave a sorry expression. “I-I know Twilight… I’m really sorry. I don’t know what’s been coming over me lately. I just find myself angry at other ponies all the time.”

While she didn't consider this to be a perfect excuse Twilight was glad to have her old friend back. “It’s ok Rainbow. Just try to relax and find something to take your mind off of things.”

Rainbow Dash took a deep breath and sat down trying her best to stay calm.

“Well then.” Said Twilight. “I guess that we need more information on the situation before we take any action. Ponyville is completely covered in snow, we can't contact the princess and almost everypony in town has a short fuse. Does anypony else have an idea on what we should do?”

Everypony in the library was silent. The next half hour was spent thinking. The only noise was Pinkie Pie’s hopping in place. “It helps me think.” She had said.

Twilight with her eyes closed was beating herself up on the inside. “Come on Twilight. You know that you have seen or even just heard of snow like this before.” *tap, tap, tap* “Its right on the tip of my head I just know it.” *tap, tap, tap* “What is that tapping noise?”

Twilight opened her eyes and realized that the tapping was coming from outside the door. “Oh.” Twilight said. She got up from her sitting space and made her way to the door. She opened it and two pegasi flopped into the library. Twilight recognized the first one as Rainy Days and the other was another pegasus twilight did not recognize. This pegasus was a brown colt with a light brown mane and his cutie mark was a set of weights. This pegasus had icicles hanging from his wings and was shivering furiously.

Rainy gently shoved the half-conscience pegasus off of her shoulder and closed the door behind her.

Silver had trotted beside Twilight when he had seen Rainy enter the library. “Rainy? Are you ok? Who is this is he ok?”

Rainy shook herself dry from the outside snow in her mane and tail. “I-I don’t kn-know who he is. I f-f-found him by the Everfree forest. He wa-was frozen stiff when I found him.” Rainy shivered from the cold and made her way to the fireplace to warm up. When she made it there she laid down and let the warmth consume her before she passed out.

“Wait a second...” Rainbow Dash had come over in the excitement and was now inspecting the newcomer. “Hey I know him. He’s one of those jerks I showed up back in Cloudsdale. Dumb-bell I think.”

Twilight levitated the freezing pegasus to the fire she had going. Monarch then lit his horn and performed the heating spell he had done on Silver’s coffee the day before. The colt glowed orange as the icicles on his wings melted away. He continued to shiver but didn't wake up.

“Well...” Said Twilight. “This was unexpected. Rainbow do you have any idea why a Cloudsdale pegasus would be here like this?”

Rainbow shook her head. “Nope, No idea. But I wouldn't put it past this one to get lost without noticing it.”

Twilight thought about it more but her thought process was interrupted by Spike. “Whoa. That is a doozy.”


“What is Spike?”

“Look outside.”

Twilight did so and when she did she saw that a blizzard had brewed outside and this one had a fury. Only shapes and distant lights were visible through the snow and the depth of snow on the ground was rising.

Twilight was in shock at the intensity of the blizzard. Know more than ever did she feel the pressure to think of a solution but it seemed that there was only one thing left to do; She and her friends would have to brave the snow to make it to Canterlot to seek Celestia’s help personally.

Twilight turned to her friends to tell them what had to be done but saw that they had gathered around the newcomer. Dumb-bell was shifting and making noise. At last he finally half opened his eyes and shook his head. Dumb-bell then sat up and popped his joints while grunting. Finally he yawned and looked around at his surroundings.

Applejack gave Dumb-bell an inquisitive look before holding out her hoof for a hoof shake and saying “Uh, howdy ya probably don't remember us but-”

Rainbow cut her friend off. “Give him a minute he needs to turn on what little brain he has.”

Dumb-bell looked at Rainbow confused but after a moment got what she was implying. “Hey, I have brains.”

“Sure you do big guy.”

“Whatever Rainbow Cra- I mean Dash.”

It seemed to Twilight that Dumb-bell’s brain had finally thawed out and he was ready to give an explanation.

“Excuse me Dumb-bell?”
Dumb-bell turned his head to Twilight “Yeah?”

“Hi my name is Twilight Sparkle. Um, do you remember what happened to you?”

Dumb-bell scrunched his face in what seemed to be a process of deep thought. This went on for about half a minute before Twilight decided she should say something.

“Um, Dumb-bell? Are you okay?”

Dumb-bell didn't respond but in a couple of seconds his face lit up. “Oh yeah now I remember. I was coming from Cloudsdale to Ponyville but I flew over some weird looking forest and something hit me and I crashed. After that I woke up here.”

Twilight knew that any number of things could of hit Dumb-bell over Everfree but she was just glad that Rainy Days had found him when she did.

“Okay, are you feeling alright? You seem a little shook up.”

“Yeah im ok I have had worse like this one time Hoops dared me to- wait no that's not important. I have more important reasons to be here. Uh, can I talk to all the pegasi here?”

Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash and Silver Lining all stepped forward to Dumb-bell.

“Ok, is that other filly asleep? Ok yeah I’ll talk to her later. So here is the deal guys Cloudsdale has been completely frozen over and all pegasi are being called back for defrosting. Me and about three or four other pegasi were sent out to get the captains and their weather teams from other towns. Now lets go and get the other pegasi here and hoof it.”

Dumb-bell made for the door but when he opened it he ended getting blasted by a gust of wind coming from the outside. This sent him toppling over back to the group. Twilight used her magic to shut the door.

Dumb-bell shook this off and turned to his fellow pegasi. “Well we may have to wait for the storm to calm down. But as soon as it does we can get everypony to Cloudsdale.”

“And just what makes you think that we are going to Cloudsdale?” Rainbow’s anger seemed to be resurfacing but she was trying her best to control it.

“Well, the pegasi have to stick together right?”

“Yeah but if we just leave the earth ponies and unicorns who will help them with the snow storms?”

Dumb-bell just shrugged “I dunno.”

“That has to be one of the most selfish things I have ever heard.”

“Not my call Rainbow Crash, I have my orders and my orders are to get all the pegasi I can to come back to Cloudsdale so we can survive. If you want to freeze here be my guest.”

Dumb-bell looked expectantly to Fluttershy and Silver Lining but could tell that they had similar thoughts to Rainbow Dash. Dumb-bell didn't say a word but rather went to the window and looked out to wait for the blizzard to end.
“Why you-” Rainbow started but was held back by Silver.

“Just let him be. The other pegasi will do what they think is right.”

Rainbow still wanted to give Dumb-bell a piece of her mind but decided that Silver was right and Dumb-bell really wasn't worth it.

“Well then, now what.” Rainbow asked impatiently.

Twilight caught up in the argument had forgotten her idea to go to Canterlot. But now it seemed hopeless, since the blizzard was back with a vengeance there was no way that the trains would be in use and walking was out of the question. Now it also sounded very likely that the blizzard was across Equestria.

But Twilight didn't have anything better so it was all they had to work with. She explained her idea and her doubts about it to her friends who all listened patiently and intently.

“So it seems like the best of course of action but I just don't see how it can be done.”

When she had finished she had expected her friends to return to quiet thinking but instead Monarch nodded in agreement and said “Well there is the obvious way there.”

“What?” Twilight asked curiously.

Smiling Monarch rolled his eyes and pointed to her horn.

Twilight blushed “Oh yeah. Well we definitely have not been authorized for a high rank teleportation spell but considering the circumstances-”

The door suddenly flew off its hinges erupting snow in an avalanche that swallowed Dumb-bell.

“I think Celestia will be understanding.”

Twilight smiled to the solution but in the back of her mind remembered what happened the last time she had tried a spell like this. The only reason she and her friends had survived was that Luna had saved them all. But she had to be brave her friends were all counting on her. It was either brave the void or be frozen in a blizzard.

Twilight looked to her friends. “Well what do you all think?”

It was unanimous by her friends looks. they all trusted Twilight and would be there for her.

“Ok.” Said Monarch “When do we leave?”

Twilight was surprised by Monarch’s question. “We? You’re coming with?”

“Of course Sparkle. We wouldn't leave you hanging right guys? Don't answer that Rage.”

Twilight wasn't so sure about this part. Celestia still wasn't the brother’s biggest fan and probably wouldn't like having them in Canterlot. But she knew that there would be no stopping the brothers from coming with and it would be helpful to have Monarch’s magical energy for traveling the void.

“Well, alright. I suppose as soon as everypony is ready we can go. Does anypony need to do anything? No? Ok, Spike if you could tell everypony where we are it would be appreciated.”

“Huh? I don't get to come with? Alright but bring me back an apple fritter from Donut Joe ok?”

Twilight giggled “Ok Spike. Well then are you all ready? Monarch take my hoof.”

Monarch obeyed. Everypony else held on to one another preparing for the voyage. Fluttershy in particular held very tightly to Rainbow Dash.

“Ack-Fluttershy-cough- you’re choking me.”

“Oh, sorry.”

Twilight cleared her mind and imagined Canterlot. She powered on her magic in synch with Monarch. simultaneously purple and orange sparks flew through the air and arcs of the same color made contact to the ground. The frequency of sparks and arcs steadily increased until the air was hot with the shear magical energy. Finally in an ear deafening explosion and flash of brilliant light the group of nine was gone.

Spike left alone with the two pegasi decided it was about time for a nap. Yawning he laid down on the couch and closed his eyes the last thing he heard was Dumb-bell muttering to himself “Idiots.”