• Published 25th Sep 2015
  • 2,871 Views, 200 Comments

Angry Bird - Thadius0



When the world changes and you miss a day, but wake up with extra limbs, you tend to be a bit peeved. Well, moreso than usual. Doesn't help that I have...anger issues. Or a prescription. Or no way to fill it anymore.

  • ...
19
 200
 2,871

PreviousChapters Next
July 4th - Celebration

Wow, today was awesome and I don't have long before the drugs kick in. Grace is downstairs with the others, including Skippy, so I only have my memory to go off of today. Let's hope I remember everything.

So yesterday I spent most of my time getting everything together in the stadium for today. A generator, a portable screen, a projector, the works for movie playing. Raided a few stores for the latest in movies, and moved a grill over as well.

No, I wasn't gonna cook meat. Kebabs! Veggie ones! For them at least. I had another grill downwind for myself, even if the only thing I did manage to heat up on it was warm hot-dogs. It was better than nothing.

Today was spent kicking back, relaxing, and watching the Lord of the Rings. Yeah, I like the movies, what of it? I made veggie kebabs for them and grilled 'em, and had my hot-dogs off to one side. But the best part was yet to come.

Once the sun set I made sure the fire extinguisher was at the ready and showed off the other thing I'd found yesterday. Fireworks!

Granted, I had no idea which ones were which, so there were a few cases where I mixed up what order they were supposed to go in. Plus there was more than one instance of one of the sparks nearly setting the dry field on fire. We won't be doing that part again.

I still had one more thing to pull out, though. Once I'd set off all the fireworks for them, I walked back over and gave the little speech I'd been thinking of all this time.

"We must assume, if we haven't turned back yet, that this...is permanent. That there is no way to revert. That we will forever be something other than human. But that doesn't mean we have to forget who we were. Humans were the apex predators for two simple reasons. Our ability to use tools, and our sheer, stubborn, determination. We may have lost one of those. But as long as our human spirit burns brightly within us, we will overcome this. We will manage to recover. We may have been scattered to the winds of time itself. America may no longer be. The world may have lost its conflict for the time being. But the former human race...will live on. As long as one person is willing to fight for it, and remember. We will scavenge out a living, eke out an existence, here, in the city, for as long as it remains standing."

There was silence for a few minutes, and then Grace came up and...I think the term is nuzzled me. Everyone was touched by the speech and didn't speak for a little bit. I think that's what they were doing when we came back, actually. Talking about my words.

Anyways. It's late. The drugs are kicking in. Henry out.

PreviousChapters Next