• ...
1
 10
 982

Chatper 4: Disappearances in Ponyville

Many days passed since Sound's encounter with the Baku. The town had been rather quiet, nothing requiring the assistance of Mare Do Well in days. Sound was enjoying the downtime, but her was always on alert so she is ready when Mare Do Well is needed again.

During a walk though town, Sound paused when she overheard something said by two ponies talking nearby.

"Did you hear the rumor going around" One of the two said "They say that there have been ponies going missing all around town"

"Missing?" the other replied "No one knows where they have gone?"

"No, but there are a few theories." The first one continued "The most common involves a glowing light seen on the edge of the Everfree Forest."

"But these are just rumors right?" the other questioned

"Well I don't know, I haven't seen Glyph Reader lately" the first replied " She heard the rumor and was curious as always and i haven't seen her since."

"Hmmm strange disappearances, I may need to look into this" Sound thought to herself as see headed home "If something is going on, then those ponies who have disappeared may be in danger."



Sound waited till nightfall before dawning her Mare Do Well Costume and heading toward the Everfree Forest. She climbed up onto a nearby roof top and watched the outskirts. It wasn't long before she spotted a mare by herself standing on the outskirts. Sound recognized her as one of the two she heard the rumor from. It wasn't long before the rumor was made fact when a bright green light appeared in front of the mare on the outskirts. The mare stared into it, almost entranced in it and as it moved into the forest, she followed. Sound descended from the rooftop and quickly rushed after the mare.

The forest was creepy at night then it was during the day. It was a dark night and one could barely see a foot in front of themselves. The only thing visible was the green light in the distance, its glow reflecting off of the trees. The light twisted and turned, many times Sound nearly lost it before she caught sight of it. The light kept moving before it came into a clearing by a small lake. Gathered around the lake were several figures, hard it see in the darkness, but they looked pony shaped. The heads of the figures turned and tracked the light as it passed. The mare who had been following it joined in with the crowd.

The light stopped in front of the lake and a sound echoed through the area

"Thank you Wisp, this number should do well" The voice said as the water began to swirl.

The water bubbled and swirled as the form of a horse-like creature appeared in the center. The creature was jet black and had aquamarine scales in patches over its body. His mane was made of seaweed and it had a fin running down its back, ending at the tip of its dolphin-like tail. His mane appeared to be suspended in midair as if it was underwater. The creature stood on the surface of the water as if it was solid ground.

Sound had seen this creature in Magical Beast Throughout the Land. If she recalled correctly, the creature was called a Kelpie, a water spirit that haunts lakes and rivers. It's said that a Kelpie will lure ponies to the water in which it haunts so that it can feed off the life-force from its victims. While it doesn't kill its victims, it weakens them to that they can't flee.

"A group of local ponies to serve me" The Kelpie said to the Wisp "You've managed to keep them here so that i only need to feed once"

"Feed once? So he hasn't fed on them yet." Sound thought

Sound used her magic and lifted a nearby rock, flinging it at the Kelpie. The Kelpie noticed it coming and before it hit him, he turned into water so the rock passed through him.

"Wisp, it seems you have brought an unwelcomed guest" The Kelpie said, looking directly at Sound "The Local Hero, Mare Do Well"

The Kelpie motioned its backwards hoof and the Wisp began to glow, causing the group of ponies to make a path between the Kelpie and Sound. Sound walked up till she was several feet away from the Kelpie.

"So, someone get wise to me" The Kelpie chuckled "Lucky for you, had you been here any later and it would have been to late"

The Kelpie stepped off of the water so that he was face to face with Sound.

"But the question is, what to you plan to do about it Mare Do well" He said looking down at her

Sound released a blast of magic into the Kelpie's chest and it looked like he exploded, however moments later, the water reformed into the Kelpie who stud there laughing at Sound.