• Published 25th Sep 2015
  • 445 Views, 8 Comments

How the Beard Became the Legend - peacevic



Star Swirl the Bearded will eventually be regarded as the greatest of his age, but first he must find the Two Sisters and save the ponies of the Age of Discord!

  • ...
 8
 445

Family

Family

There they were, the objects of his veneration rendered in the flesh. Celestia. Luna. The Sisters. It was them.

"See?" Luna asked as Celestia gracefully strode over to stand next to her, proximity making the height disparity even more prominent than Star Swirl had imagined from the tales. "A real pony! How long has it been since we've been visited by one? Truly, this is a most fortuitous day."

Celestia smiled. "It certainly has been awhile, Little Sister. Though the pony is not the only pleasant surprise here."

Star Swirl had expected many things of the moment when he was finally before the Two Sisters. He, and his fellow scholars, had worked tirelessly to glean any hint of their personalities from the legends, and much conjecture had been offered on that point. From cold, imperious idols to fun-loving, mischievous foal-gods, the entire gamut was debated and discussed.

The reality was... unexpected. The Sisters simply seemed like taller ponies. The alicorn combination of wings and horn was obvious, as was their power- to Star Swirl it felt like a thick blanket thrown over the entire area. But, despite those oddities, Celestia and Luna themselves were very approachable. It was baffling.

Also baffling was their apparent inability to count. There were two pony visitors, not one. He rose, though standing did little to lessen their intimidating presence, and opened his mouth to point that-

"Light Mothers, you remember me..."

The magus snapped his mouth shut and turned to his companion in confusion. Downward Spiral had prostrated herself in reverence.

"Of course we remember you," Celestia replied, and when Star Swirl whirled back towards her he found the alicorn's smile had widened in the way one's would when seeing a long-absent friend. "You who were like another sister to us, the first creature born after our incarnation. How could we forget?"

Luna cleared her throat. "Tia, I am sure there will be time enough to reacquaint ourselves later. But before that, we should see what the pony wants. He must have traveled far to reach this place, after all, and one would not make that... journey lightly."

"You make a fine point, Luna. What can we do for you, Good Sir Pony?"

"I, uh, I- I mean 'we'- need your..."

"Your help?" Celestia prompted, her smile changing again. She seemed to have an arsenal of those grins, always held at the ready.

Star Swirl wrestled his thoughts into a facade of order. He was surprised, for sure, but he'd been surprised before. This quest was too important to let his shock trip him up now. The truth about Downward could wait. "Exactly, Lady Celestia. I've come to beg for aid from you and your Sister. My land- no, my entire race- suffers under the reign of the tyrant Discord. Free us, please. You are the only ones who can help."

"We have heard of the mischief Discord has been causing. Many other spirits have fled here for protection." Celestia's smile was gone, replaced by a frown utterly out of place on the Goddess' face, and Star Swirl's heart rose. It was not a long ascent. "However, this is not a problem that we may address at this time. There has been a... prediction, if you will. A prophecy. We must stay here, at least for the time being."

"You are wrong, Sister," Luna muttered, just loud enough for all to hear.

Celestia turned to the smaller alicorn, her sternness plain to see. "Luna, you know as well as I what the oracle-"

"Indeed I do. So I have waited, my patience fraying, while each new batch of refugees brought yet another tale of atrocity. Every syllable is an arrow driving into my heart, until it gets so bad I want to pluck out my own feathers that they might fashion more ammunition. The oracle was imprecise, and the prophesy may only be a distant dream. Discord is real. His torments are happening now. No creature should have to bear the whims of that wretch."

All were silent, a suffocating quiet setting in. Celestia's gaze swiveled from her Sister to Star Swirl, and even to a recently-risen Downward Spiral. Seconds passed like this, the elegant alicorn wrought with indecision.

"Please," Star Swirl begged again when the tension grew too thick to stomach.

At his solicitation Celestia sighed, uncertainty rapidly melting away and morphing into resolve. "Very well, Dear Sister, you've made your case- albeit in a somewhat melodramatic fashion." She nodded to Star Swirl, becoming even more beautiful in the mage's eyes for her assent. "We will help you."