• Published 25th Sep 2015
  • 444 Views, 8 Comments

How the Beard Became the Legend - peacevic



Star Swirl the Bearded will eventually be regarded as the greatest of his age, but first he must find the Two Sisters and save the ponies of the Age of Discord!

  • ...
 8
 444

Militant Tribes and Their Outcasts

Militant Tribes and Their Outcasts

The pegasi were -as a tribe- stubborn, arrogant, beligerant, violent, and rude.

All that, however, didn't take away from the majesty of their architecture.

The city literally soared over Star Swirl's head, its spires crafted forbodingly out of dark cumulonimbus clouds. All of the dwellings were tall and narrow, with the various stores following the same basic design. There were no walls, for such things would be pointless in a city where all save a few of the inhabitants flew everywhere, but the city was more than made secure by a massive barracks. Flights of armored ponies streamed in and out of the bastion, including two entire wings. Like the tribe itself, the city was always ready for battle.

Though the city was an awe-inspiring sight, with the barracks alone dwarfing his own village, Star Swirl knew that it was in fact one of the smaller pegasus towns. Unless you included the rare land-based colonies, which he knew very little about.

Few pegasi spoke of them.

"Oooh, what do we have here? A moon-tugger?"

Star Swirl turned in the direction the mare's voice had come from. The bustling of the city above had allowed the speaker and another pegasus, a stallion, to land quietly behind him. They were clad in the light armor favored by scouts and spies, and both leaned lazily on their spears. Star Swirl was sure they had both been trained to keep their points toward potential threats, but neither seemed concerned about any danger he may pose- or about proper conduct.

The blue stallion shifted so that he was partially facing the mare. "Breeze, that's so inappropriate. We're supposed to respect our unicorn brethren." He didn't seem too upset by her epithet, despite his objection.

"Look good sir, ma'am." Star Swirl had to think of something fast, as getting thrown into a dungeon for a few days by bored pegasi would put something of a damper on his mission. "I'm quite sure sentry duty can be less than exciting, but imagine all of the paperwork you'd have to do if you arrest me. At least out here you can stretch your wings."

The stallion laughed. "Looks like we've got ourselves a smart unicorn."

"That's an oxymoron, Dash."

"Well he was able to guess our job. Although, I can't help but wonder where he got the idea that we'd bother doing paperwork." Dash scratched his chin thoughtfully.

This wasn't going well. Star Swirl tried to think of something -anything!- that could get him out of this without a fight, but the academic in him was stuck on the idea of not doing paperwork. It was ludicrous! How could they ever hope to stay organized without it?

As one, both pegasi lowered their spear tips toward him and began to advance menacingly. Star Swirl started to desperately sort through the spells he knew, hoping that there was one that wouldn't bring an entire flying city's wrath down upon him.

Before the need for such a spell became a reality, a third pegasus swooped down, "Hey! Stop messing with that unicorn! Discord's been spotted in the southwest. We're moving out!"

After delivering the message the pegasus shot off again, with the mare called Breeze following close behind. Dash stayed a moment and grinned at Star Swirl. "We can't really just throw you in jail anymore. That was one of the compromises made in the Agreement. Even so, you handled youself pretty well. Most ponies we pull that on start begging or crying. You're alright."

"You're not seriously going to attack Discord?!"

"What other choice do we have?" Dash shrugged. "It'll work out."

Star Swirl wanted to try and persuade him, but before he could even open his mouth the stallion was in flight. Star Swirl watched until he saw the pegasus rejoin the others, then sighed and resumed his trek.

Or he would've, had the absence of the overwhelming presence of the floating city not allowed him to notice yet another pegasus, a mare.

This one was covered in rags. Her yellow mane was tangled and greasy, and her grey coat was dotted by bruises and small cuts. She was laying in a heap on the ground, watching the unicorn with her mismatched eyes, one of which was blue and the other green.

Quickly, Star Swirl jogged over and cast a first-aid spell. The wary mare flinched at his approach, but relaxed as she realized that he was helping her. When he was finished. he offered a hoof. "I'm sorry, but that's the only healing spell I know. Are you ok?"

"I'm fine, mister." She replied. She took his hoof and as she climbed to all fours he noticed that, grime aside, she was actually quite cute. Though it was a tomboyish kind of pretty, and thus inferior to his wife's. At least Star Swirl thought so. "I wouldn't hurt that bad."

"What happened? Did you fall from the city?"

"I was forced out. They said I wasn't allowed there anymore." There was sadness in her eyes, but no real trace of anger.

"That's unacceptable!" The mare seemed more or less harmless, so Star Swirl couldn't fathom what would've made the pegasi of the city exile her. "Do you have someplace else you could go?"

She shook her head. "No, not anymore. What about you? Where are you going?"

"I... I'm not really sure."

"So you're just wandering with no destination in mind. Interesting..." Incredulity dripped from the look she gave him.

"No, no, I have a destination." Star Swirl awkwardly rubbed his neck. "I just don't really know where it is."

"Well maybe I can help." She bubbled. "I'm Downward Spiral, by the way."

They shook. "Star Swirl, and I'll only tell you if you promise not to laugh."

"I only laugh at funny things." She replied, crossing her heart gravely.

He cleared his throat. "I'm searching for the Sisters."

"I'm coming with."