• Published 27th May 2012
  • 2,727 Views, 20 Comments

Responsibility and Rage - adfghjkl



Celestia and Luna fight to maintain harmony in Equestria after the return of a foe from their past.

  • ...
1
 20
 2,727

Chapter Two: Luna's Magic

CHAPTER TWO

Queen Galaxia glanced down from her balcony to the entrance of Canterlot Castle, where the two sisters rushed through the gates and past the royal guards. The Queen smiled, her golden and purple shimmering mane flickering in the sunset.

“Are the fillies back yet?” A deep and familiar voice behind Galaxia gave her comfort. King Cosmos stood tall, his black mane flowing like a river, with his face as hard as stone.

“I just saw them enter Canterlot. Luna looked especially excited.” King Cosmos winked and grinned at the lovely regal alicorn.

As if by cue, Celestia and Luna raced up the castle stairs and up to the balcony, panting and doubled over. “Is it…true that…I get…to raise the…moon…tonight?” Luna tried to catch her breath.

“Whoa, slow down, girls; you’ll hurt yourselves.” Their mother’s voice filled them with warmth. Celestia nuzzled up against her mother while Luna looked up at her father, anticipating his answer. Cosmos looked at Luna with loving eyes, a look only a father could give. “Yes, little Luna, I will let you raise the moon tonight; all by yourself.”

Luna’s answer was almost immediate. “YES!!!” She ran around and around in circles until she realized that everypony below the balcony was staring at her. Luna realized how loud she was being, and instantly straightened up and averted her eyes from her father’s hard gaze. “I am most grateful for your generous offer, father.” Luna bowed and exited the balcony, and headed up to the roof where her mother and father raised the sun and the moon. Well, where Celestia raised the sun now. “And where I’m going to raise the moon!” Luna squealed to herself.

Galaxia, Cosmos, and Celestia were all standing by, watching. “Now remember Luna, be careful and wait for the exact right time to-

“Ok, mother, I get it.” Luna lowered her head, ashamed of her sudden rudeness. “Ah, sorry. I didn’t mean to snap at you. I’m just really excited , that’s all.” Her mother nodded in understanding, but it was Cosmos that was staring at Luna with extreme concentration. Luna gulped, and began.

Raising her wings high in the air, like she had seen her father do what seemed like a million times, she flew slowly and steadily. I can feel it, Luna thought, I can feel the night and the moon and the stars. Luna’s horn began to glow, then spark with life. The sun continued to slowly lower farther and farther down. Suddenly, Luna felt something, a feeling a uplifting and floating feeling that could only be the night itself. Luna raised her hooves in the air and closed her eyes, feeling the energy of the night carry her and comfort her. Connected. Why is it that that word came into Luna’s mind? Her horn glowed, and a powerful magic rushed out. I am creating the night, no, I am the night. I am constellations and stars and the moon. The sky turned a pure black. Stars appeared and shined more brightly that Luna had ever seen. Finally, she felt it. The moon. The glowing white sliver of light slowly drifted higher in the sky, until it was squarely in the middle. Luna sighed, not in relief, but in happiness and pure relaxation. She slowly lowered down to the ground and her horn stopped glowing. I did it!

Luna looked over at her parents and her older sister, who were gaping at Luna’s creation.

Celestia was the first to break the stunned silence. “Luna…that was AMAZING!” Celestia leaped around and around her younger sister. “That was like nothing I’ve ever seen before! It’s spectacular! Amazing!”

Cosmos looked disapprovingly at Celestia. Galaxia stood with a stoic expression. Then spoke. “You have given us a lot to think about.” Cosmos followed, his face solemn with worry.