• Published 4th Sep 2015
  • 252 Views, 1 Comments

Pinkie starts the weekend early. - fanscrenewriter



Twilight has been working too hard lately, so Spike makes her take a day off. Thankfully Pinky is their to help with a party.

  • ...
 1
 252

Little friday

Scratch scratch scratch rings out as Twilight works on scroll after scroll in her castle's library. The library has little light and the only life belongs to Twilight's pen as she writes and writes. Surrounded by nothing but books, and books, and more books little life lives, expect for the thick cobwebs.

The only other living thing then Twilight and her ever-working pen, Spike gets up from her hooves and looks at the clock. “Hey Twilight, isn't it quitting time? Pinkie has this new thing about Thursdays she calls them little-“

Twilight rolls her eyes, “It's fine, Spike go.”

“But Twilight you should join us it's fun.” Spike pleads.

“I need to figure out this potion formula, I can rest.”

Spike leaves dishearten as Twilight works and works into the early night.

Later as the weeks go by, at night Rarity and Spike show up in their fines attire, Rarity in a flowing sparkling silk dress, Spike in light blue suit with matching waist coat and diamond tipped cane.

Rarity asks, “Twilight Darling we have to get going? We have the fashion show in Canterlot tonight.”

Spike replies with a degree of annoyance, “I told you.”

Twilight replies without looking up or stop writing, “Sorry, I have this quarter's taxes to do. That last monster attack cost us a lot. And the emergency fund hadn't had time to replenish so it's up to me to find a way to balance the budget without a tax hike on apples. ”

Rarity is taken aback and with a dishearten voice, “Well that does sound important.”

Spike yells, “You have been working all day and night for weeks.”

“I am sorry I have to finish this.” Twilight proclaims with out a break in her voice or any other attempt hide her disinterest while doing her work.

Rarity seeing how it is hopeless, “It's okay, I just was hoping to spend time with you... like the old days. But there will be other chances… I hope.”

“Twilight, your not alone in this.” Spike follows Rarity out.

“Yes I am. Now go have your fun. There is work for me to do.” Twilight turns up and sees the room is empty… And Twilight words echo through out the empty castle.

The sounds of the circus peter into the library and down to Twilight as now she studies her books. Pinkie and Fluttershy burst in with rainbow Afros.

Pinkie screams, “Twilight it's the greatest thing ever!!! It's the circus.”

Fluttershy coos, “There are so many cute animal performers.”

“And clowns.”

“And lions.”

“And pickle barrels. And you know how much I love to say that.” Pinkie giggles at the funny sound of pickle barrel.

Twilight doesn't even look up. “Sorry girls, I can't. I have to study. That last mission the map sent us on I almost lost the fight. I have to keep studying so I can keep us all alive.”

Pinkie cries out, “But the circus is a limited time only.”

“Would someone please think of the animals!!!” Fluttershy yells out.

“I'm sorry I can't.” Twilight grabs another book to start highlighting for the important info inside.

Pinkie and Flutter Shy hang their heads. Pinkie with a broken heart, “Twilight you don't come to my little Friday parties. Now no circus? This is crazy talk.”

“I agree, there are cute animals to see, and fun to have. I am worried about you Twilight.” Fluttershy says so softly no one hears.

Twilight finally looks up, “The weight of Equiseta rests on my hooves. No pony else. I have to do this. To keep you and all my friends alive.”

Pinkie regains her composer, “Spike was right. Twilight we are all here for you, let us help.”

“Indeed.” Fluttershy adds.

“Just go... I must study.” Twilight looks down at her books. Pinkie and flutter shy leave dishearten.

Twilight now has maps covering everything as she is planning all the new roads... by herself. Rainbow Dash, Apple Jack, and Spike burst in painted blue and gold.

“Twilight, are you ready?” Cheers Rainbow Dash.

Twilight grabs her compass to make the road curve, “Ready for what?”

Apple Jack jumps in hoof first, “The championship hoofball game between Cloudsdale Thunderbolts and the Marehatten Knickerbockers.”

Rainbow waves her pennant, “It's going to be so awesome. The wonder bolts are doing a stunt show at half time.”

Spike runs over to pull out Twilight’s seat, “Don't worry I got us great seats.”

Twilight uses her magic to stop Spike from moving her chair, “Sorry I can't go. This roads project is-“

Spike balls his fist to a ball, “No you’re coming. You need this talk. Twilight Sparkle-” Spike wags his finger at Twilight. “You should be giving projects like that to me and the staff.”

Twilight with cold icy tone, “Not in front of others, Spike.”

“Fine... but we are going to have this talk. We are going to have this talk.” Spike storms out and leaves with Rainbow and Apple Jack and head to the champion game.

Twilight waits for Spike while on her seat in the map room. From here she over looks all of Equiseta from her, all it’s hope, all it’s problems. The moon is full and lights up the room with a magical glow. Spike opens the front door

Spike calls out, “Thanks for the ride Big Mac.” Spike closes the door and walks in.

“Spike! I'm mad at you.” Twilight yells.

“And I'm worried about you... you haven't be on such a work study binge since we moved to Ponyville. I worry.”

“So, that doesn't give you the right to talk to me like that in front of my friends.”

Spike comes in and sits on Pinkie’s chair with is the one across from Twilight’s. “One they're my friends too. And two they are worried about you too. I barely have seen you. They never see you unless the map needs us. You don't have to work this hard. The other princesses don't.”

Twilight with boiling rage, but she holds it back, “Then who will take care of the problems. Rarity has dresses to make. Rainbow controls the weather. Pinkie helps the cakes run the bakery. I am the only Canterlot trained pony to deal with the big stuff. Who else can head a project like expanding Equiseta's road system?”

Spike yells, “Me! I'm your chief of staff.”

Twilight rolls her eyes, “What staff?”

“The staff we are supposed have hired by now. I have three more ponies line up. But you won't give us even one project.”

“Your my what? Spike I am the princess. I am in charge here. Not you. Ponyville will-“

“Will what? I'm your Chief of staff. If Ponyville falls apart at my claws, fine. You'll be right. And you can fix it then. But till then who is the element of magic... the element of the friendship spark that ignites all friendship. Your is the most tender and hardest element of them all to stay true to. Let me help.” Spike gets up and walks over to hold Twilight’s hoof.

“No your assistant to the princess. I am the princess of friendship. My job can't be done by a baby dragon, only me. Only I study as hard, work as hard... as hard as this. And hard work is rewarded.”

“No, I'm not. Celstia promoted me. You need help, and you need to not micromanage everything. Other ponies can handle things. Maybe not as well, maybe not as fast, but... but you are not eternal. You can't act like you can do this forever. 18 hour days will led any pony to an early-“

“That's silly. Of course I won't do that. I can handle stress of being a princess, a ruler, and a friend. HA! Of course I can.” Twilight tries to laugh it off.

“Twilight... what are you princess of?”

“Friendship, of course.”

“And who did you not see tonight? Tonight of all nights? When your friends are celebrating, thrill of victory in the air... it's the first Thunderbolts champions since the move way back in 53.”

“My friends... my friends, oh phooey, you are right!” Twilight’s eyes flash with the wrong ideas of Spike being right and that she has done something wrong.

“See you of all people need to relax and hang out with other ponies. Tomorrow we are going to call some ponies and your going to delegate us something you are working on and we are going to help you. “

Twilight eye tears up, “Thank you Spike. For being there when I am-

Spike wipes away her tear, “I care about you Twilight. I'm here not because I have to be, But because I want to be.” The two hug.

The next day shines as Spike brings in Moon Dancer, Lyre, and Mayor Mare. Spike says, “See, I have a crack team. Nothing to worry about here.”

“Okay... well the only thing I have to on worked today is road expansions. As you can see I have made notes of all-” Twilight tries to say as spike pushes her for the door.

“Twilight I got this. Now go have a good day off. It's Thursday so you know what that means...”

Twilight looks blankly, “No what?”

Spike rolls his eyes, “You'll see, just be at sugar cube corner tonight.” Twilight leaves to enjoy a day off.

Twilight stares blackly at all the options she has. Twilight begins to walk past the shops and restaurants and doesn't know what to do. She has time off... time off... like not working. Twilight thinks what of the roads.

Twilight thinks to her self, “I hope Spike doesn't give it too steep of a grade. Was that in the notes?” Twilight trips and falls in front of a bistro. “Come on Twilight, believe in others. Believe in Spike. He knows better then to give the road more steepness then 5%... Right. Of course... he's a baby dragon trained by me. So just relax.” Twilight enters the bistro.

Twilight enjoys a yummy hay-burger. Twilight looks and sees the empty chair and a frown falls down on her face. “I guess Spike was right. I'm the princess of friendship and I let my relationships go. I don't even have a friend to eat lunch with.” Twilight puts her hoof down and goes to take on the day.

Spike has hauled the crew to the library and stands on a tall pile of books to reach the map. “Okay everyone, this is simple job. We have to expand the roads. We have the reports, maps and list of requirements to get the job done.”

Mayor Mare, “Well we should start with Ponyville. We need another bridge we have only the one and it makes such a traffic issue.”

Moon Dancer scribble’s on her notepad, “We don't have the budget for a bridge.”

Lyre adds, “I commute form Ponyville to Canturlot all the time, the east road is falling apart we need to fix that first.”

Mayor Mare accuses, “Your pet projects.”

Lyre attacks back, “Safety is not a pet project.”

Spike tries to even out the room with his even tone, “Those are both good points, I think. But are incapable, so we need to...” Everyone starts talking at once and Spike can't be heard.

The partly cloudy sky has Rainbow Dash flying through it clearing those mean nasty rain clouds away... slowly she is taking her time because even she is tired from the night before. Twilight flies by to talk. “Hey Rainbow what you up to?”

Rainbow sleepy just states, “Oh just work.”

Twilight inquires, “You okay? Your moving kind of slowly... for you?”

Rainbow retorts as she punches a cloud in the face. “I'm just tired. I was cheering so hard for Cloudsdale that I think I hurt my throat. But I'll be okay by tonight, cause tonight is another long night.”

“Oh well I'm sorry I didn't go… wait tonight?”

Rainbow bucks a cloud before she answers, “It's okay. You have your important princess pony work to do.”

Twilight sheepish answers, “Well I am taking a day off. Let's do something?”

“I sort have work. How about I met you at Pink's later. It's Thursday so you know what that means?”

“No what?”

“You haven't been to one of... you have been working too much. Well now I have to go. Be at Sugar Cube corner at six. It's going to be so awesome!!!” Rainbow kicks more clouds to death.

Twilight flies and lands outside barn as she locks it up with Big Mac's help. “Hi Apple Jack, what you up to?”

Apple Jack replies, “Just finishing up for the day.”

“Already? It’s still early?” Twilight asks.

“Yap, we we're going to Pinky's latter, I have to move on to sorting. You going?” Apple Jack inquires?

“What up with Pinky?”

“You don't know?” Apple Jack’s eye about

“Poor Twilight. All work and no fun make for a sad princess.” Big mac says with his deep sexy voice.

“Be at Pinky's at 6. It's so good. You can help me with a project.” Apple Jack scampers away.

“Yep, wait I'm a project now?” Big Mac chases his sister into the barn.

Twilight stomps, “Fine.” Twilight flies off.

Twilight flies back to town to find, Rarity locks up her doors to her dress shop as Twilight lands. “You’re closing up early too?

Rarity, “Well it's Thursday, so you know what that means.” Rarity raises the roof with her hooves.

Twilight just stares confused at Rarity, “No, I don't. And why won't a pony tell me?”

Rarity, “What, everyone goes to Pink- I mean it's not that special... Nothing to regent over... But be sure to come to Pinky's tonight for sure, you won't it'll be fun darling.” Rarity dashes off under the cover of afternoon.

Twilight with confusion in her heart wonders aloud, “What is going on with Pinky? On a random week day?” Twilight flies off to find out.

Spike with maps now crumpled up and ones with insane roads that go into the sea on them as Lyre and Mayor Mare argue. Spike screams, “Okay fine we will build the route to the crystal empire through downtown Ponyville even though it's suppose to connect directly to Canterlot. But this will then fix your problem of the road from Canterlot to Ponyville. So every pony wins. Are we done.”

Moon Dancer raises her hoof, “Wait.” Moon dancer pull out a piece of paper and does the math.

“What now?”

“We don't have the budget for that. That will cost 35.6% more then we have.” Moon Dancer straights her papers, as she knows her answer is write. Spike face palms as they begin to argue.

As the dusk rolls in at the end of the Day all the ponies are being drawn zombie like toward Sugar Cube Corner. Earth pony, unicorn, and Pegasus pour in.

Twilight lands and she feels the ground shake from the sub woofers under her hooves. Twilight gets to the front of the line where she sees Pinkie. “Oh my cupcakes!!! It's Twilight!!!” Pinkie squealers as she hugs Twilight.

Twilight asks as her head whips about, “What is this?”

“Oh my Twilight I can't believe your here. This is going to be awesome!!!”

Twilight still not understanding asks again, “But what is going on.”

Pinkie squeals, “It's Little Friday!!!”

Twilight’s eyes go a little cross, “Little Friday?” She asks.

“Yeah like Friday but smaller, cause it’s Thursday.”

“I'm not getting it.”

“Twilight!” Pinkie pulls a Calendar from the sky some how and is able to stand on it. Pinkie stands on Monday, “As you can see Mondays are lame, it’s the start of the week and we have so much work to do.”

“Yea the best day of the weak, it's a fresh week of studying.” Twilight says proudly.

Pinkie rolls her eyes. “Any way, what every pony really wants is the weekend so we can party!!!” Pinkie walks over to stand on Thursday. “So most ponies party on Fridays thru Sunday. But I looked at Thursday and I thought-“

Twilight slides in, “It's a good day to study?”

“No,” Pinkie yells. “That the weekend is so close you can smell it from here. So let's party earlier!!!”

“But I have to study tomorrow.”

The calendar disappears. Pinkie laughs, “So do I Twilight, Tomorrow I have to bake so many pies. There are these three ponies coming to town named, Curly, Larry, and Moe. And they need a lot of pies for some reason.”

“So shouldn't we get plenty of sleep and be ready?” Twilight asks.

“I am going to party and enjoy the moment? I'm going to party! Are you going to Party!? Let's party!!!!” They head into Sugar Cube Corner.

Twilight enters to find all her friends are already there. The place as been transformed for a small town bakery to a swinging nightclub with fog machines and glitter paint on things. Rainbow Dash dances on the dance floor with laser light and Vinyl Scratch on spinning the tunes. Big Mac dances on the bar while Apple Jack talks to Bon-bon.

Apple Jack yells so she can be heard over the music, “Oh come on, my brother has such a crush on you. Just go out with him once.”

“I don't think Lyre would like that. She's the jealous type.” Bon-Bon finishes her drink.

“What does Lyre have to do... just have more juice. And take a look at him.”

Fluttershy hides in the corner just drinking her juice next to a houseplant. Rarity talks to a big strong Stallion fire fighter. “Oh darling those are some big strong fire fighting muscles are they? I think a fire is starting right now...”

Meanwhile every other pony in town seems to be here as well. The dance floor is packed and every pony is having way too much juice.

“I should have done this a long time ago.” Twilight mournfully asides.

“You were always welcomed.” Pinkie reassures her.

Twilight stomps her foot, “Let's party! I have to make up for lost time.” Twilight grabs her first Juice and drinks it as the room spins.”

Fluttershy walks over to talk to Twilight, “Now Twilight you have to be careful with juice, the sugar rush could-“

Rainbow lands next to Twilight, “Oh come on, my grand ponies can drink more juice than that. Drink! Drink! Drink!” Twilight hammers her first drink fast and hard.

Rarity yells, “You go girl!”

Fluttershy is shocked, “Oh my.” Flutter Shy blushes how fast Twilight drinks.

Spike with some ink on his claws surrounded by crumpled paper stares at Mayor Mare.

Spike expiated and tired inquires, “What's wrong now?”

Mayor Mare yells, “I am the representative of Ponyville. It's my job.”

Lyre yells back, “And the rest of us? I live half my life in Canterlot. What is my opinion worthless because of it?”

Spike, “No one is saying that-“

Mayor Mare piles on, “This road can really help Ponyville. So I must-“

Moon Dancer chides, “This road is suppose to be for all of Equestia?”

Lyre yells, “It's you grandstanding. Well I want a safe convent way to get to Canterlot thank you very much.”

Spike screams, “Quit fighting. I have to just get this done tonight... so lets just finish it. My tail is on the line here.”

Mayor Mare gets up to leave, “We'll I just don't think I can work like this with this at-“

Spike runs and locks the door. “No one is leaving till we are done. I told Twilight I would get this done. So we will have this done. Even if we have to be here all night.”

Mayor Mare in a panic asks, “How can you do this to us?”

Spike with a crazed look in his eye stares her down, “I breathe fire, hot enough to burn pony bone to ash.”

“Right.” Mayor Mare sits down and shuts up.

Lyre, “My plan is a fine one.”

Moon dancer looks up from her note pad, “And over budget.”

Lyre cries out, “You guys we are missing little Friday's at Sugar Cube co-“

Spike replies understandingly, “I know, so the sooner we finish the sooner we can party.”

“Now that's an incentive.” Lyre and Mayor Mare begin redrawing the map again.

Twilight with a cup of juice in her hands dances and looks terrible but Rainbow eggs her on. Twilight spills her drink and Dr. Hooves spills and falls.

Dr. Hooves exclaims, “My word, some ponies can't hold their juice very well, now can they?

“Sorry.” Twilight slinks away while Rainbow dash helps him up.

Twilight finds a group of people listening to some other pony. Twilight tries to get every pony to listen to her talk with a cup of juice in her hoof. “Okay, you guys want to hear how I beat Discord. Okay this is the story of how I beat Discord. “But no pony cares. “Who's that pony?”

Bon-bon walks by. “That's the Star of the Cloudsdale team the Thunderbolts, John Hoofway. Man Lyre wished she could have gone to the game last night.”

Twilight gives up. Twilight finds the pony pool table and sidles up to it. Big Mac plays Fancy Pants and is down to the eight ball.

Fancy Pants hits the 7 ball, “Though break about Bon-bon.”

Big Mac asks, “I don't get how Lyre effects this at all. But she is so cute.”

“You know I heard a rumor about the two-“

Twilight walks up and grabs a pool queue with her magic, “I'll play the winner.”

“Yeah, what's the rumor about those two?” Big Mac asks in a panic tone.

Twilight takes a massive gulp of her drink; “They are best friends, right?”

“We you see-” Fancy Pants answers as if he didn’t even hear Twilight. Big Mac hits the eight ball into the corner pocket.

Twilight cheers, “Big Mac won. Shew shew...”

Fancy pants leaves. Big Mac yells, “Wait come back.” Big Mac chases after him.

Princess Celstia walks by in the background.

Twilight is left as the only one who wants to play. Twilight hits the juice hard.

Spike has ink on his face, paper cuts on his claws, blood shot eyes, and a new twitch. As the other three ponies argue about the roads. Spike finally yells, “Okay it'll be a steeper pass but if we go with a rise gradient of only 5.7% for three miles that will save enough bits right?”

Moon Dancer, “Let me see”. Moon Dancer grabs an adding machine and does the number. “We even have one bit extra.”

Spike tosses everything in the air and dances.

Flutter Shy has one more cup of juice. “And you know another thing about Angel I hate...”

Twilight comes and orders more juice. Apple Jack walks up for a refill herself. “Hey, Twilight I think if you have anymore juice you might get a bit sick.

Twilight gives her a crazed look and yells in a super hyper speed voice.”

Twilight talking way to fast asks, “Too much juice? What is too much juice? I can't have too much juice. Party!!! I have to Party!!! I have to, otherwise I am not the princess of Friendship.” Spike walks in and stands next to Celstia. “If I'm not the princess of friendship then what am I??? I'm nothing that's what I am. A baby dragon can do my job.”

Spike spits out his drink a little, “Hey!”

Twilight’s voice hits a even faster crazier pace and tone, “Oh no, my life is lie. I'm the worst princess ever... ever!!!” Twilight in a sugar rush of her lifetime goes running out of the bar.

“I'll get her.” Spike puts his drink down and stands up.

Celstia puts her hoof down, “No, your off work too. I'll get this one.” Celstia goes after Twilight.

Under a bright clear sky, thanks to Rainbow Dash, Twilight curls into a ball and cries. Celstia walk up behind her. “Twilight what's so wrong.”

“Celstia? What are you doing here?” Twilight can barely get the words out between tears.

Celstia answers, “I was having a good time at Pinky's little Friday party. But my friend was hurting so I can help.”

Twilight cries harder, “You knew about Pinky's parties and I didn't? I am so out of touch.”

Celstia calmly sits down next to Twilight, takes a deep breath and answers. “Well yeah, I mean they are awesome, and you can just smell the weekend from here. But seriously Twilight your not the princess of Friendship because your awesome at everything friendship related. And Spike needs more responsibilities. You have to learn to balance work and free time. While too much work is a bad thing, too much play crammed together is just as bad. We all have things we to deal with. That's why I give you so many things to deal with, so I have free time. So you need to do the same. Like tonight while it probably took longer and won't be as good. But Spike grew because of it. Part of being a leader trusts those under you to do their job... like I do with you. It's because the weight of the world doesn't fall on a pony's shoulders, it falls on us all.”

Twilight looks in her soul and asks, “So I have to learn to trust Spike, and other and have fun more offend then once in a great while.”

Celstia gives just a clean simple, “yes.”

“But that is hard. The extremes I get.”

Celstia chuckles, “Moderation is key my little pony. You still have much to learn, and sometimes you learn the most from teaching.”

Twilight is shocked, “Really?”

Celstia nods, “I never would have guessed that you react this way. I guess I have to learn how to be more hands on with your leadership lessons.”

Twilight in wonder asks, “You learned something? I always thought you knew everything.”

Celstia laughs softly, “Yes, I learn too.” The two walk back home.

Twilight walks down downtown Ponyville and sees every pony barely able to move. Rainbow in the sky slogs through kicking away more clouds. At the bistro Twilight sees rarity and Flutter shy barely walk down the street to get fabric and pet treats. Twilight has a strong cup of coffee.

Twilight fly’s by apple acres to see while not moving quick but still working.

Apple Jack is puzzled and asks, “You heard what about Bon-bon. I'm sorry brother.”

Big Mac with his heart asunder, “Yep.” Twilight flies home.

Back at home Twilight sits in the library next to Celstia. Spike stands up and points at the map with the new road. Both Twilight and Celstia listen to him.” As you can see with save money by having a little steeper grade on the road.”

Twilight reads the papers Spike has about the project. “More then 5.0% the most heavy wagons can't go up it.”

Celstia adds words of wisdom and calm advise, “Spike while I see you worked hard on this, but you need to redo it.”

“No, this is the only way.” Spike claims.

“It's not the only way... you need to redo this. And I will be waiting while you do that and few more projects two.” Twilight hands Spike two more projects to handle as well.

Spike face palms, “Ah phooey.” Spike takes his map and goes to get to work.

Twilight turns to Celstia to ask, “Like that?”

Celstia grabs her coffee, “Like that, my little Princess.” The two toast their coffees and get down to their work.

Comments ( 1 )

Does it irritate you that your total word count is 4,219, when it's really 4,736? If so, just unpublish the chapter, then republish it.

Login or register to comment