• Published 4th Aug 2015
  • 582 Views, 43 Comments

Tavi and Vi - Master Koschei



The sequel to Octavius, set three years after those events. Octavius and Viny's relationship has grown and matured in the past three years. But on their three year anniversary, Octavius gets the biggest change yet.

  • ...
1
 43
 582

Chapter 13

Octavius sat alone. He was on the edge of his bed that he had been sharing with his beloved Violet for years. He smiled as he placed a hand gently on her side of the mattress. She had gone out earlier with Flutters to the store to get some things for a little party they were planning for Ditzy.

He sighed, laying back on the bed and staring at the ceiling. Left with his thoughts, he let his eyes slowly close and his mind begin to drift.

He thought ahead. In just a few short months, his life would change. His daughter would be born, and he would be a father. He smiled softly, enjoying the thought of a tiny human in his arms that was his and Vinyl’s. He rolled onto his side, looking at her empty pillow.

He had only met the wild DJ three years ago, yet he couldn’t imagine life without her. He hardly believed in fate, instead believing that everyone chose where his or her lives ended up. But he was glad that whatever power might be had put him on that elevator. He needed her.

She had changed him in so many ways for the better. She had forced him out of his shell that he had formed, and showed him that life could be enjoyable. He had gotten a permanent job at the local theater and was making consistent good money. He knew where he would be every night, and where he would wake up every day. He rolled onto his back again, staring at the blank ceiling once more.

Life couldn’t be better.

So why are you so sad?

Octavius sat up, running his hands over his face and through his messy hair. He stood slowly, stretched, and left his room, going downstairs to his kitchen. He poured himself a cup of sweet tea from a pitcher that Vinyl had prepared the previous day, then sat at the table. He looked around the room, taking in the various pictures that were hanging on the walls.

One showed Vinyl and Ditzy in front of a waterfall. He remembered that Ditzy had forced David to use her camera to take a picture as well, so she could always remember.

Another picture showed Octavius on the day he found out he was going to be a father. Dash had been ‘so kind as to share’ that moment with them, permanently captured on film. He had a smile on his face as big as the sky. Vinyl was behind him, crying in happiness.

But one frame in particular caught his attention. And it was probably the simplest picture of the bunch.

It was a picture of Vinyl. There was no one else in the shot, and it wasn’t staged. He had happened to have a camera on him, taking pictures for Ditzy at the park, when he noticed Vinyl by the pond. He had, on a whim, snapped a picture of her, to show Ditzy what Vinyl had been doing. But when he looked at the photo, the sun had hit the water just right, and it cast almost a glow around Vinyl, making her look like an angel.

Octavius put a hand on the cold glass that protected the picture and smiled, a single tear landing on it. He missed those times, when everything made so much sense and was so much simpler. Back then, his hardest thing to learn was how to interact with another person, and here he was, about to be a father.

He wiped his eyes and hung the picture back upon the wall, looking at his cup of tea. He picked up the cup and carried it with him to the living room, where he set it upon a table with a soft clink.

He shifted his gaze over to the corner, where his cello sat, always willing and ready to be picked up and played. He grabbed a chair from the kitchen, grabbed his instrument gently, then sat down in the middle of the living room, carefully tuning the strings. And when he was ready, he began to play.

At first it was simply triads. 1, 3, 5, 1, 3, 5… But soon he started to deviate from that, moving faster and slower, pulling and pushing as he saw fit, changing from major to minor and back, shifting his intervals, before he paused, realizing he was out of breath. He looked at the clock.

He had been pouring out his heart into the instrument for fifteen minutes. He blinked, astonished. It had only felt like mere seconds. He looked back down at the cello, at the smooth wood and taut strings. He dragged his bow across those strings slowly, getting a low hum out of the thing. He pulled it back across, and this time the instrument buzzed on a higher note. And then he slowly started to play a song so familiar to him he had tried to play it in his sleep more than once.

He was playing the song Vinyl had remixed for him when they first kissed. The song that meant so much to everything to him, to them. The song that had started his future in that little hospital room three years before.

He knew that song by heart, because she was there with him in his heart every time he played it. He smiled and slowly let his eyes close as the music took him away. Back to when he had to eat the gross food, and hear the sick men and women around him, and comfort Ditzy when she had her nightmares and would wake up screaming.

Back to when Ditzy had told him about her and David. When Dash had come in with Scootaloo and told Octavius all about how she was going to adopt the kid. How he had met the crazy girl named Pinkie.

And how he had kissed Vinyl that day, with the blinds closed, so he could see her lovely eyes. He remembered everything about that day. And when he thought long and hard about it…

…He knew for a fact that he wouldn’t trade those days for anything. And he wasn’t going to give up any of the ones to come.

As the piece concluded, and he set his bow across his lap, the door swung open.

Author's Note:

Did you miss me?
I'm so so so sorry this took so long, but I've just had so much going on in my life that I almost forgot about our little story. I hope you all have it in your hearts to forgive me, and to look forward to what else I have in store for you. All criticism is, as always, greatly appreciated, and I try my best to get on the site everyday to check comments. Thank you all so much for your understanding.