• Published 26th May 2012
  • 1,561 Views, 75 Comments

The Creatures that Came to Ponyville - knives4cash



The sequel to the crossover that nobody asked for! Yes, it is written with Friendly Uncle's blessing

  • ...
5
 75
 1,561

The Palace

“Hey.”

“Yeah?”

“Do you ever wonder why we’re here?”

Two male ponies, one a unicorn and the other an earth pony, wearing hardhats and orange vests were slowly trotting on the grated floor through a dimly lit corridor lined with pipes.

The earth pony temporarily stopped to check a valve on one of the many pipes. “Because it was our turn to do sewer maintenance? Sulacolt won’t keep herself running, y’know. Somepony’s gotta make sure her energon’s pumping.”

The unicorn was using his horn to telekinetically carry a toolbox while at the same time lighting the way for them with said horn. Dimly lit, one-thousand year old yellow tunnel lights weren’t the most reliable sources for illumination.

“No, I mean why are we here, on a vessel that’s supposedly a thousand years old, constructed by ONE pony for the sole purpose of transporting an armada of cult followers back to Equestria for a supposed invasion? Ignoring all of the holes in that story, why would such a big secret be revealed to us common ponies?”

“Because Neighland-Yutani asked us if we wanted to partake in a ground-breaking operation of science that could change life as we know it?”

“Have you noticed that that’s not what we’re actually doing?”

The earth pony stopped and looked at his fellow co worker. “Okay, why don’t you just TELL me what you’re thinking and get it over with? In case you’ve forgotten, we have a problem to find and fix.”

The unicorn motioned for the earth pony to continue forward before continuing. “What we’re doing right now is waiting for orders from our captain. Then we’re supposed to resupply with energon as well as stock up on the blue stuff for Neighland-Yutani to do its thing back on Equestria.”

Splotch

The earth pony pulled his hoof up from the ground, revealing that he had just stepped in a pool of annoyingly adhesive, suspiciously thick drool. “Ugh! Gross!” He quickly looked up and around, trying to figure out where the bile had come from. Not finding any leaks in the pipes or tunnel ceiling, he growled in exasperation and stepped around the puddle. “Just get to the bucking point already!”

“This is WAY too much effort for just a simple errand! We’re on the world’s only starship!” The unicorn carefully stepped over the pool and caught up with his co worker. “With big bucking guns! If we wanted a source of fuel so badly, we could just take it from the zebras!”

“That would mean war, you dumbass. Besides, this is a rescue operation. We’re supposed to rescue survivors and all that heroic shit.”

“No, no, don’t you see? It’s supply and demand! Every soldier, worker, or whoever else could’ve been left on the moon is replaceable; energy is replaceable; you don’t send a starship all the way to a moon unless the moon has something that you can’t get anywhere else!”

The earth pony rolled his eyes. “You think that there’s something here that Celestia can’t get anywhere else?”

“Yeah! And-” The two came to a halt upon discovering that a two meter, smoldering hole resided where the floor had once been and another hole above it where she ceiling should have been. “What in the bu-.”

The earth pony jammed his hoof against the unicorn’s mouth. “Quiet! Do you hear that?”

The two stood in silence, allowing the aggravated, humid, hoarse, heavy snarling of several creatures to overtake them.


Within the confines of Equestria, sitting before a tombstone centered in a relatively small graveyard, sat the dark blue unicorn with her simple, black mane. The sun had reached its apex; the wind was set to a gentle breeze; and the birds were making conversation, but it all went unnoticed. Lost in thought, she continued to gaze ahead at the rather fancy stone block marking the resting place of a dearly departed pony.

She did not notice the earth pony-powered carriage that bore the Neighland-Yutani logo approaching her location, nor did she notice the falcon perched on the shoulder of the zebra being carried within said carriage. As the vessel came to a halt outside of the cemetery, said zebra departed from the carriage and approached the unicorn. The falcon took flight with a mighty cry and flew ahead of her, landing on the tombstone.

“You are looking well,” The pony in morning commented as she glanced up at the proud and noble bird.

With a sigh, the zebra approached the unicorn mare. “Mother, these continued excursions cannot be doing your health any favors.”

Not bothering to turn her head away from the stone, she responded, “Xenith, you’re on the clock. You shall address me as ‘madam president’, like any other employee.”

The almost adolescent zebra sat down next to her mother. “My apologies, madam president.” She held up a forearm, to which her falcon immediately flew to and perched himself on. “But I come bearing information that you shall find worthwhile.”

“It had better be,” the unicorn deadpanned, “If you’re interrupting my lunch break.”

She moved her forearm to her shoulder, allowing the falcon to hop back up on it. “It is what you might consider a ‘game changer’.” The zebra informed her, “One of the mining details that we had dispatched has reported back.”

Unsatisfied, the president asked, “That’s why you came out here? To tell me that one of our teams has done its job?”

“They found our deus ex machina.”

This time, the unicorn turned to Xenith and asked in disbelief, “Energon? On THIS planet?”

Xenith nodded. “A single, subterranean deposit. We don’t know how much it contains, nor how many others are on this world, but it’s here.”

Now giving Xenith her undivided attention, the president asked, “How much have we obtained?”

With a shake of her head, the zebra answered, “I don’t know. I came out here as soon as we got the transmission.”

The president grunted. “When the Sulacolt made her first trip to Equestia’s moon to set up the mining colony and stock up on energon, geological scans of the terrain were taken, were they not?”

“That is correct, and as we expected,” Xenith finished, “The geology is completely alien to our own world. The two spheres share practically no traits.”

“Thus confirming our hypothesis that the energon couldn’t have formed naturally.” The president deduced, “Somepony or something had to deliberately deposit the amount on the planet.”

Xenith stated, “And we already know who that somepony is. The question is why they’d travel so far to place it here, in this solar system, when our technology is vastly inferior.”

“It matters not. They are dead; we are alive. And we’ve already assimilated their technology.” The president started laughing. “Today is a good day! Cardinal will ensure that our little crisscross with Shining Armor does not turn into a double cross, and now we can begin utilizing our resources to collect and process our very own private source of newfound energon, all the while preparing to weaponize a fresh batch of xenomorphs!”

“I meant to ask you about that,” Xenith proclaimed. “How are we going to prevent Celestia from removing the instincts from any specimen? She will surely make herself present when the Sulacolt returns. No doubt to ensure that we, ourselves, do not execute a double cross.”

The president responded, “I am confident that Cardinal will be able to do something about that. And Shining Armor will either accelerate our primary plan or force us to initiate our contingency plan, depending on his actions. Either way, we shall have the advantage.”

Xenith nodded. “I assume you do not wish to inform Celestia of this discovery?”

The president nodded in return. “You assume correctly. Have Sigma-9 create another ‘diversion’ to ensure that her majesty’s attention will be deployed elsewhere.”

Xenith inquired, “Anything specific?”

The president spared a few seconds to ponder the question. “Something close to the border. And have them leave evidence of zebra presence. But nothing too obvious.”

“There are multiple mineral processing plants along the border. I’ll have Sigma-9 begin coordinating the attack when we get back.” Xenith quickly glanced at her watch. “Speaking of getting back-”

With a small sigh, she asked, “Our lunch break is over?”

“Three minutes ‘til.”

She stood up to leave. “Very well.” But she stopped and took one last look at the tombstone. With a sigh of fondness and longing, she gave a small smile. “She would have loved you.”

As they made their way back to the carriage that had been dutifully guarded by the two nameless stallions, Xenith asked doubtfully, “Would she have loved what you’re doing these days?”

Ignoring the tone, the unicorn answered, “Preparing for the inevitable? Yes.” They entered the carriage and started the return trip. “Firing the first shot? Probably not.”


On the desolate and rugged landscape of Equestria’s moon, amidst the countless creators, ravines, cave systems, and cliffs, lay a complex of Equestrian structures architecturally separated by a thousand years in time. The majority of the site consisted of Luna’s palace, standing tall and proud with its many towers and walls. Outside of the fortress’s gates lay Neighland-Yutani’s industrial establishment, almost a fourth in size and displaying visual signs of having fallen to savages. And off in the distance, about half a kilometer from the entirety of it all lay a rather small outpost with the treasured and sought after landing pad that had finally been discovered by everypony’s favorite and last dropship.

“Are these ponies crazy or just insane?!”

“Do you think we can fix it?”

Soarin’ spun around and glared at Spitfire. “The. Tower. Has. Fallen. Over!”

In front of both of them lay the severely damaged remains of what was once the transmission tower, the only means that the colony had had of communicating with Celestia. All two-hundred meters of the tower lay partially buried in the terrain.

“Just thought I’d ask,” Spitfire said nonchalantly as she passed her copilot, stepped over the bit of tower that lay in her way, and began trotting towards the outpost, a rather simple structure. “Maybe we can establish an orbital transmission post with the equipment inside for contacting the Sulacolt, in case our APC transmitter fails.”

“Celestia will be worried,” Soarin’ stated as he joined her, “When we tell her that the tower bucking fell over.” He drew a small firearm with his mouth.

“Just because we were supposed to fix the transmission tower,” Spitfire reassured as she tried to open the door of the outpost, “Doesn’t mean,” the door would not budge, “That we would be,” she turned around and bucked the door in, “Able to! Hah!”

Already armed, Soarin quickly took point, entering the outpost’s interior to find that it had not been visited in some time. Its walls were tattered and torn, showcasing signs of explosive damage; the consoles and various electrical components that had been housed were utterly destroyed, leaving only frayed wires and charred hulls to mark their locations. And at the very center lay the former tower’s core and controls, also damaged beyond repair.

Seeing as there was only one room with nopony other than the two Wonderbolts, Soarin’ holstered his pistol. “Somepony had one hell of a party in here.”

Spitfire approached the core and made a quick analysis of the damage. “And a deliberate one at that.”

Soarin’ looked at her in disbelief. “What?”

Temporarily ignoring her copilot, Spitfire immediately put a hoof to her earpiece. “Shining Armor, somepony sabotaged the transmission outpost. I repeat: Somepony has deliberately compromised the security of this complex.”


Outside the palace’s doors, they took their positions.

Shining Armor placed a hoof to his earpiece, “Cardinal, are you getting a clear picture from our helmet cams?”

Inside the APC, Cardinal sat at the overwatching station, simultaneously monitoring all of the screens. “I am, Captain Armor.” She looked at Fluttershy, who was watching intently. “Are you well?”

Fluttershy nodded meekly. “For now.”

Refocusing on the task that lay ahead of them, Shining Armor got to work. “Applejack, Plug, get the doors. Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, take point and be ready.” Shining Armor threw himself against the wall of the doors, telekinetically readying his Pulse Rifle. Satisfied with the dark read “95” that was displayed, he ordered,“Everypony else hug the wall and get ready to move in!”

Everypony followed their orders. Rarity, Fleetfoot, Redheart, Nag, Steed, and Apple Snack moved up against the wall. Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie positioned themselves in front of the doors and readied their Smart Guns. Applejack and Plug then pulled the massive doors apart, revealing the interior.

A long hallway built primarily out of moonstone was revealed before them. However, the potential beauty that the architecture might have inspired was dampened by the jumbles of cords and wires connecting to overturned and damaged flood lights as well as portable generators that had been placed throughout the hallway. A few, stray potholes were littered about on the floor, indicating signs that acid blood had been spilled.

Dim, flickering light from the partially intact flood lights adequately illuminated the dried splashes of pony blood that stained the floor and walls.

Rainbow Dash’s eyes widened. “No...”

“Twilight,” Pinkie Pie murmured.

Shining Armor swiftly took point. “Stay. Focused. We won’t know until we find a body.”

As the captain advanced, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie managed to follow, bringing up his rear. Applejack and Plug entered the palace interior, followed by the remaining ponies.

“What in tarnation?” Applejack questioned in disbelief.

“Keep moving,” Shining Armor ordered as he stepped around an acid blood pothole.

Checking the ceiling, Steed sighed, “So much for modernizing.”

The group continued down the hallway and came upon what appeared to be a reception room of circular design. To their left and right were spiraling staircases that connected to a balcony overlooking the room.

A similar scene was displayed before them, as Shining Armor, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie quickly entered the reception room. Two floodlights had been placed in the middle of the room but now lay on the ground, glass shattered. Extension cords ran throughout the room, leading up to the second story. A single, isolated dried blood stain was painted partially on the balcony overlooking the first story as well as on the tiles that lay directly beneath said balcony, indicating that somepony had taken a fall.

Cardinal ordered, “Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie, hold your positions.”

Without speaking a word, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie held their ground, covering Shining Armor as he took the left stairwell and as Applesnack took the right stairwell.

Simultaneously, Rarity and Nag moved forward on the first floor, checking the entrance of the hallway that began on the opposite side of the room, underneath the bloodied balcony.

Seeing that three hallways connected to the second story balcony, he scowled. “What the buck was I thinking,” Shining Armor rhetorically asked himself, still holding his Pulse Rifle in his magic. “It’s a bucking palace. It could take hours, maybe even days, to clear by ourselves!”

“Maybe we don’t have to,” Applesnack said as he peaked around the corner of the hallway on the far right. “If we can get our hooves on some schematics. Building blueprints-”

“This place is a thousand years old, Applesnack. I don’t think that Luna would leave any blueprints lying around.” Shining Armor quickly ordered, “Everypony maintain positions!”

The two soldiers held their positions. Applesnack asked, “Wouldn’t these ponies need to draw up some sort of electrical mapping? I’m guessing that their makeshift lighting system runs throughout the whole structure.”

Shining Armor pondered the idea. “They would require a layout to do so.” He subconsciously weighed his options. “But we can’t just charge in blind to clear a palace-”

“-And we can’t clear the palace without charging in blind,” Applesnack finished.

“Captain Armor,” Cardinal interrupted over the com channel, “You may not have to.”

Temporarily ignoring her, Shining Armor ordered, “Applesnack, throw down some ball breakers,” as he started back down the stairs.

Pulling a small, electronic disk from his battle saddle, Applesnack threw the disk against the wall of his corridor. The disk immediately opened up in a rotating fashion and began emitting a dim red light. He quickly moved to do the same with Shining Armor’s corridor and the third remaining one. “Sonic electronic mines are in position, captain. If anything tries to get past it, we’ll hear the boom.”

As the others began forming up on Shining Armor in the center of the room, he said, “Talk to me, Cardinal.”

“While it will take time to secure the entire palace, it may be possible to secure files regarding the layout of the structure, revealing key defensive positions and any other tactical data.”

“Excellent idea, Cardinal.” Shining Armor asked, “Where can we find these ‘files’?”

“Any datacore could contain the desired information. However, the Hub would be the most likely place.”

Everypony looked at each other, save for Applesnack, Rarity, and Nag who were keeping a lookout on the unexplored corridors.

Rainbow Dash asked, “What Hub?”

“The base of operations which is located at the center of the mining establishment that was constructed outside of the palace.”

Shining Armor asked, “Do you know exactly where it is?”

“I was onboard the Sulacolt when the colony was established as well as when we resupplied the ship with energon. I am aware of the site’s layout.”

Shining Armor ordered, “Alright. Applesnack, Nag, Steed, and Plug, you’re on esc-”

-Shining Armor, somepony sabotaged the transmission outpost.”

Everypony displayed a small amount of shock in reaction to Spitfire’s sudden interruption and her equally sudden report.

“I repeat: Somepony has deliberately compromised the security of this complex.”

A series of “buck”s and “shit”s were given by the four white pegasi as Shining Armor quickly asked, “Are you absolutely certain, Spitfire?”

“I’m staring right at the remnants of of tower’s control consoles. Magic blasts have destroyed everything. If a unicorn didn’t do this, I’ve got nothing else to work with here.”

He inquired, “Is it recent?”

Spitfire and Soarin’ continued to examine the damage. “No. Far from recent.” She observed, “They’re not only cool to the touch, but they’ve been oxidizing for quite some time.”

Rarity protested, “But the unicorn aliens can shoot just like we can! Besides, why would somepony deliberately cut off communications?”

“Rare’s got a point,” Applejack agreed. “A pony’s gotta have a motive to do something like that.”

Cardinal chimed in, “Rarity’s hypothesis seems more logical, Captain Armor.”

“Fine, fine!” Shining Armor quickly reevaluated the situation. “Unless we find a survivor who can tell us what happened, we stick to the plan. Applejack, Pinkie Pie, and Fleetfoot, stay with me. Redheart, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash, you three will form a squad and stay in the courtyard. I’ll trust you to watch our asses as we try to cover some more ground.”

“Shining Armor,” Cardinal advised while diligently cycling through the camera feeds of the strike force, “Dividing our already limited resources would be extremely unwise.”

Shining Armor countered, “There’s just too many of us, Cardinal. If we bunch up in these hallways we’ll be begging for friendly fire. If they stay in the courtyard, they can have a clear line of sight at any incoming hostiles. These things like the element of surprise. Right, Fluttershy?”

Slightly caught off guard by the sudden inquiry, Fluttershy fumbled with her earpiece. “Y-yes, they do, unless there’s no other choice.”

“Great, then the bugs won’t be able to sneak up on them. They watch our backs while we get a hold on the palace and hopefully bring the fight to them.”

Cardinal warned, “Please keep in mind, captain, that your private fireteam and I will not be able to render any assistance while pursuing the Hub; and the members assigned to patrolling the courtyard will need time to find you. You’ll be on your own.”

Shining Armor stated, “Noted,” and took his hoof off his earpiece. “Nag, Steed, Applesnack, and Plug, you four are on escort duty. Head back outside and hook up with Cardinal. Use the APC to get to the Hub and find us that layout along with any other information; Applesnack will assume command in my absence.”

Plug asked, “What about you, sir?”

“We’ll start with the first floor and continue in formation. Rules of engagement still apply.”

Having stayed in tune to the whole conversation, Spitfire asked, “What about us, Armor? We could provide air support, keep an eye out for any bugs.”

“Negative, Spitfire,” Shining Armor denied. “We’re down to our last dropship. If you encounter another flying bug, much less a whole swarm of them, it’s game over.”

Cardinal added, “If the Cheyenne were to be destroyed, the only remaining alternative mode of transportation would be the Sulacolt’s cargo transporters which are incapable of providing emergency evac, Spitfire. It would be wise for you and Soarin’ to remain where you are unless said emergency evac is required.”

Shining Armor agreed, “Cardinal has the right idea. Get back to the dropship, have it on standby, and await my command.”


Spitfire scoffed. “You two call the shots. We’ll hold up in the Cheyenne and keep a lookout. Spitfire out.” The pilot removed her hoof from the earpiece, muting it. She turned to leave. “You heard the boss ponies. Let’s go.”

Soarin’ stepped aside, allowing her to go first. “Isn’t this exciting,” he asked rhetorically.

Her response was immediately interrupted as she stepped outside of the outpost with a suspiciously audible Splotch.

“Agh! What the buck?!” Spitfire quickly jumped over the puddle of annoyingly adhesive saliva that had collected in front of the door. “Watch your step, Soarin; I just stepped in some sorta goop!”

Taking her advice to heart, Soarin’ carefully stepped over the puddle. He jokingly asked, “Is it that time of the month for you?”

The response that she gave him was a slap across the face with the hoof that had been coated in the “goop”, followed by stomping off towards the landing pad.

Soarin’ caught up with her while trying to wipe away his newly acquired saliva. “You should rent a sense of humor sometime, just sayin’.” Not wanting to be locked outside, he dashed up the ramp ahead of her.

The action went unnoticed as she stomped up the ramp. “You’re an ass,” she stated as she hit the iconic red button, making the ramp close. She made her way to the cockpit and took her seat. She then started up the engines.

Soarin strapped himself in his own seat. While pressing his own array of buttons, he sighed, “And now we wai-” CHSIIK

Spitfire jerked her head towards her copilot to see a bloodied spear-tipped tail, profoundly sticking out of Soarin’s throat, pull itself through the stallion’s neck and through the entire back of the seat that it had just pierced.

To Spitfire’s horror, a pitch black, cowl-headed pony dropped down from the roof of the cockpit and landed on its hooves, tail still dripping from the kill. A flap of its unsightly wings and a sharp-second mouth revealing-victory shriek made an adequate incentive for Spitfire to make a desperate draw of her sidearm.


Cardinal gently called back to the cockpit of the APC, “You’re doing a very nice job, Fluttershy.”

The four pegasi specialists, regardless of the smooth ride, were standing ready for any attack.

“Thank you, Cardinal!” Fluttershy called back as she maintained her speed. Her eye twitched. She knew this. This had happened before. She remembered this happening. Her eyes grew in horror, and she slammed on the break.

The passengers jolted forward as Nag yelled, “Fluttershy, what the hell are you doing?!”

Fluttershy frantically threw the APC into reverse. “We need to go back!” She shrieked, “I won’t let them die in that hellhole!”

Applesnack quickly unbuckled himself to get to the cockpit. He felt the wind get knocked out of him as Cardinal slammed him back down in his seat to clear her own path to Fluttershy.

“They’re still in there! They’re still in there! I have to get them out!” Fluttershy’s yelling was interrupted as Cardinal pulled her struggling arms off of the controls. “Let me go! I have to get them out!”

“Fluttershy-” she started.

“They’re in there! I have to get them o-”

“Fluttershy,” Cardinal said sternly as she grabbed Fluttershy’s head, forcing eye contact. “Fort Pike is not under attack.”

She faltered, blinking rapidly. “W-what? What do you mean it’s no-”

Applesnack squeezed himself into the cockpit and demanded, “What the hell is going on?!”

Temporarily ignoring him, Cardinal repeated, “Fluttershy, Fort Pike is not under attack. We are on Equestria’s moon.” She let go of Fluttershy’s head. “Applesnack, Nag, Plug, and Steed are with us. They are not dead.”

“What?” She sputtered, “But they’re KIA! Celestia herself told me tha-”

“-Those are Captain Armor’s memories!” Applesnack realized, “Her memories are melding with his!” He glared at Cardinal. “She’s reliving HIS memories! That’s not supposed to happen!”

Fluttershy looked back and forth between the two. “What? What’s going on? I remember. I know what I saw-”

“I don’t bucking believe this. Of all the times for her to fall apart-” Applesnack began to place his hoof to his earpiece. An iron grip from Cardinal’s foreleg procured his undivided attention, however.

“She is fine,” she deadpanned. “Alerting the captain will delay our mission and induce unnecessary complications.”

Silence filled the APC. He turned his head to Fluttershy. “Are you okay?”

Looking down at herself and then back at him, she asked, “How did you survive? Nopony got out of Fort-”

“Don’t!”

Fluttershy jerked back, startled by the outburst.

Applesnack’s concern dissipated. “Don’t you DARE finish that sentence!” He put a hoof to his forehead and sighed in exasperation. “If you feel like it’s going to happen again, just let us know, alright?”

She nodded. “Right.” As he backed out of the cockpit, she added meekly, “I’m sorry.”

“Cardinal, you reading this?” Shining Armor’s voice echoed through the APC. “Looks like calculus, physics, and trigonometry.”


Deeper inside the palace, Shining Armor, had detached his motion tracker from his battle saddle and was keeping the device level with his telekinesis. The constant pat pat pat pat now accompanied the white noise that the unicorn’s horn was making.

Fleetfoot had taken point with his Incinerator and was the first to frown at the upcoming T junction. The corridor ahead was not a viable means of continuing, due to the fact that its ceiling, along with however many floors above it now rested firmly on ground level in a manner that could only be described as a “cave in”.

“Took a thousand years,” Fleetfoot muttered, “But this place is finally falling apart.”

“Given the circumstances,” Shining Armor theorized, “I’d bet that it wasn’t natural.” He surveyed the damage. “Attempting to move the pieces could cause the whole hallway to collapse on us.”

“I don’t like how things are getting worse, sir.” Fleetfoot advised, “I’ve lived long enough to know when an unfair race is being set up. I think we should just bug out and call it even.”

“Keep those opinions to yourself, Fleetfoot,” Shining Armor ordered as he turned around and began heading the other way through the T junction. “We’re getting this job done, one way or the other.”


“I feel extremely vulnerable right now,” Rarity complained as she continued to scan the eternally starry sky for any airborne xenomorphs.

“Wanna trade?” Rainbow Dash flapped her wings with utmost irritation as she held her ground. “I haven’t been able to fly in the last ten hours! My wings are killing me!”

“You two are taking this whole alien invasion rather calmly,” Readheart observed as she continued to check her six in a paranoid fashion. “Just one of these things could kill us all; we’re currently coexisting with at least two-hundred of them.”

“I’m wearing a gun that can shoot anything that moves,” Rainbow Dash scoffed. “Rare’s got herself a gun that shoots explosive ammo, and you’ve got a gun that shoots fire.” She growled as her wings continued to flap. “We’ll be fine. We’d be BETTER if I could take this battle saddle off and fly, but for now we’re good.”

“You’re a rather optimistic one,” the nurse observed sarcastically.

Rainbow Dash scoffed, “We’re doing a hell of alot better than we were at Fort Pike.”

“Twilight might be dead.”

The two turned their attention to Rarity.

“Look at us,” She spat bitterly. “Our friend might be dead or worse! And here we are, standing around like a trio of idiots, when we should be killing those horrible monsters and saving Twilight!” She sniffed, “Or recovering her body.”

“Don’t talk like that,” Rainbow Dash said as she holstered her Smart Gun and wiped Rarity’s cheeks with a hoof. “Twilight’s brother is in charge, remember? If anypony can handle this and make it better, it’s him.”

“It should be Celestia and Luna,” she said. “They supposedly care about Twilight, but they’re staying back in Equestria and playing around with politics and bureaucracy!”

“I know.” Rainbow Dash sighed, “It sucks that we’re on our own and stuck with a bunch of perverted guard jocks, but Shining Armor knows what he’s doing.”

Redheart asked, “You mean you don’t know?”

The two looked at her with looks of confusion.

“Those four ‘perverted guard jocks’ have been serving with Shining Armor for years. They’re his personal fireteam.”

“We heard that part,” Rainbow Dash retorted. “Doesn’t mean we have to like ‘em.”

“That’s not all.” Redheart explained, “I think they’re part of some sorta black ops team or something.”

Raising an eyebrow, Rarity asked, “And you know this how?”

“Mostly hearsay.” She added, “But I’ve picked up bits and pieces from various enlisted ponies, from my tours across Equestria.”

Rainbow Dash stared at her in disbelief. “Say what?”

“Nurse Redheart, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash, please maintain your patrol and vigilance.”

“Sorry, Cardinal.” Redheart quickly went back to watching the starlit sky and courtyard walls. “Medical studies. Train under different doctors, give lectures at various schools, etcetera. I stay in Ponyville for a while, get a letter of request, and hit the road for a month or two.”

BANG

The three ponies immediately turned their attention to the sound of the gunshot and the sight of a bright red flare rocketing straight up into the sky.

Rarity exclaimed, “Somepony’s still alive!”

Redheart asked, “How far away?”

“Half a klick,” Rainbow Dash answered. “Give or take some.” She began to struggle with her battle saddle. “Help me get this thing off, and I’ll go after ‘em!”

“Are you crazy?!” Rarity moved to restrain her friend. “You are NOT going out there alone and unarmed!”

“Girls-”

“I’ve tangoed with one of those flying buckers before, and I can do it again!”

“Girls-”

“And you almost got killed doing it! We need to-”

“GIRLS!”

The two mares turned to Redheart. “WHAT?!”

“I don’t think we need to move out.” She pointed in the direction of the dissipating flare.

The two, comically tangled in each other’s limbs, looked onward to see a lone object flying towards them.

Rarity let go of Rainbow Dash and telekinetically picked up her Pulse Rifle that she had dropped in the tussle. Aiming down the sights, she questioned, “An airborne?”

“Not fast enough,” Rainbow Dash responded as she set her Smart Gun on the incoming target.

Redheart put a hoof to her earpiece as she primed her Incinerator. “Cardinal, are you seeing this?”

“Wait a minute,” Rainbow Dash muttered as she squinted.

“Cardinal, answer me! Cardinal!”

“I know that color scheme...”


Pinkie Pie, still holding her Smart Gun like a Griffon would, had taken point as they entered a vast chamber that appeared to have been a dining hall. Several portable tables had been set up in the center of the room in three rows; several had been smashed, and the various papers and equipment that were set up on them were not spared. Smashed and shattered floodlights were strewn about the perimeter, but it was the wall that caught their attention.

Equations written in a mysterious blue ink were plastered across it. Diagrams of spheres and lines were also drawn in the same blue ink and depicting several “arrows” being drawn from the tiny sphere to a larger sphere.

Entering the chamber after Pinkie Pie and Fleetfoot, Applejack muttered, “What in tarnation?”

“That looks like something Twilight would do,” Pinkie Pie observed,while slowly scanning the wall.

Scrutinizing the wall, Fleetfoot scoffed, “What kinda pony has time to do math homework in the middle of a bug invasion?”

“Indeed,” Shining Armor agreed. “Pinkie Pie, watch our six. Applejack, investigate the tables. Fleetfoot, check the other end of this room.” He put a hoof to his earpiece. “Cardinal, you reading this? Looks like calculus, physics, and trigonometry.” There was an uncanny pause. “Cardinal, do you read?”

The four ponies looked at each other with growing concern.

“Cardinal,” he ordered, “Respond.”

“I read you, captain. Mechanical malfunction prohibited me from responding immediately.”

Ignoring the explanation, Shining Armor gave a precise view of the wall for Cardinal through his helmet cam. “Somepony was keeping themselves busy. They had something specific in mind. I can read the equations, but the diagrams aren’t making any sense.”

“Get a complete scan of the wall, captain, and I can analyze it at a later and safer date.”

He performed a slow panorama of the wall and placed a hoof to his earpiece. “Got it?”

“Got it.”

Applejack had finished her examination of the tables’ contents and slowly approached the wall. “Building materials, mostly. Screws, tools, some sciency toob thingamabobs, and some other junk.” She lightly tapped the arcane substance, revealing that it was not completely dry. “This stuff sure is sticky,” she muttered while giving it a sniff. “I aint never smelled somthin’ so,” she paused while wrinkling her nose, “Dead.”

Fleetfoot flew back from the opposite end of the room to Shining Armor. “Heavy equipment's magically welded into a barrier, sir. Entry to the next room is blocked.”

“Aaaaw,” Pinkie Pie pouted. “Guess we go back.”

“Negative, soldier.” Shining Armor attached his Pulse Rifle to his battle saddle and telekinetically withdrew his welder. “We cut through.”


“Mother,” Xenith fretted as the two trotted down the metal grated corridor, “I really think we should conduct more field tests before initiating the final phase of Project Pride. We’ve only just finished preliminary testing.”

The president, trotting at a brisk pace, deadpanned, “I wanted this project completed ASAP, Xenith. You know how important she is for our master plans to succeed.”

“We only procured two-hundred liters of energon, madam president. The math practically screams that it was refined at a highly inefficient rate, and we don’t have a lot of raw energon left to indulge the study.” She urged, “Until we can crack down on the refining technique without Luna’s assistance, I strongly advise that we hold off on the project until we can guarantee that she’ll have an adequate supply of fuel for her new body.”

Teeth gritted, she countered, “And I strongly advise that we get her online and on our side ASAP before Celestia gets wise to our plans!” The mare telekinetically levitated a keycard that hung from her neck as they approached a vault door at the end of the corridor. "Sigma-9's diversion has only aroused more suspicion in OUR direction! A miscalculation on my part, yes, but the fact of the matter remains that we MUST accelerate our efforts!"

Quickly swiping said keycard in a slot on the wall, the door acknowledged the card’s level and granted access. While the door slid open, the president made a beeline for the opposite end of the laboratory. “Let’s get this show on the road, ponies!”

Xenith quickly added, “Please reserve all questions and concerns!”

Three ponies in lab coats assembled in front of a curtained chamber protected by bulletproof glass adjacent from the lab’s equipment and computers.

“We’re ready to initiate the project, madam president.”

“I’ll send for a security tea-”

“That won’t be necessary,” the president interrupted. “She won’t be able to do anything, and if she could, she wouldn’t.” Before any could object, she lit up her horn. “Trust me,” she said with an aire of monotone confidence.

Obliging her, two of the scientists manned their posts while the third entered the glass chamber and pulled the curtain aside to reveal a half organic, half metallic, currently deceased entity that was being held in restraints and connected with tubes.

Her mane was gone, completely shaven, her horn replaced with an ornamental metal device; the left half of her face was infused with gun metal gray plating. Her torso was not so fortunate; all of the flesh and skin had been replaced with metal plating and rather hideous tubing.

Three of her legs were now completely cybernetic, gun metal gray like the rest of her, and lacking the iconic cheese holes; but the right foreleg was still completely organic, untouched by the company’s science. Her tail had been removed and replaced with a triple jointed metallic one to ensure that balance could still be maintained. And finally, her organic wings had been replaced with triple jointed metal extensions that drew heavily from pegasus biology, in terms of design.

“I simply adore bioengineering,” the president murmured with a grin. She looked to the scientists. “Ready?”

They nodded in response.

She turned back to her personal masterpiece. “Then I'd say it's time to welcome back our Queen Chrysalis.”

Author's Note:

No, I did not abandon this project. I'm about to enter my senior year of the school of high (For the non-'Muricans, that's the thing before university.) Hence why I've been absent for so long. Also, the writing assignment for said school of high that actually had a deadline required my attention. Now that THAT'S out of the way, I can get back to something that I actually want to finish. I can only assume that some of you will have questions, so fire away in the comments. Please, it's the least I can do for being such a horrible author.

Side note: I'm tired of making my fingers go numb from properly indenting each paragraph and line of new dialogue.

Comments ( 4 )

Well, it's better than nothing.

I like how you built the suspense. Can't wait to see what happened to Spitfire. :pinkiegasp:

3122263 Wow. Been a while since someone's read this work. I'm going to complete it, but I won't be able to work on it for a LOOONG time. I'm a senior in highschool, and I've got a job as a writer for Project Possible, so yeah. My schedule's booked solid for a while.

The mayham has been doubled.:pinkiegasp:

Well, I hope this gets finished... it's so good!!

Login or register to comment