• Published 11th Jan 2016
  • 3,045 Views, 108 Comments

Faultlines - FawkesThePhoney



The apocalypse has come and gone so long ago that it may have never happened at all. But now, the rebirth of ancient heroes begins again the struggle for the world, and with it a final chance for those who could not save it before.

  • ...
4
 108
 3,045

Wake Up

“Hey, hey, breathe. Hey—look at me. Breathe. In, out, just like that. There. There you go. In. Out. In. Out. Take it easy.”

“By Celestia….”

“I know. It’s crazy. Keep it together, though. I’ve been there. It gets better, promise.”

“I… I thought this was all some kind of trick… but…”

“Yeah, we all thought that at some point. Heh, I thought Lyra was full of crap the first time she came up to me. And yet, here we are.”

“It’s real…”

“All of it. Welcome back, Caramel.”

“Thanks, I guess—argh!”

“Hey, take it easy, take it easy. Come on now. Ugh, where’s Redheart when you need her? I’m not cut out for this.”

“It hurts…”

“It’s going to. It’s memory. Memory hurts. Ponies don’t realize how much it hurts; you’d be surprised what some of us have gone through. Lightning Dust has it really bad. Some of the stuff she’s seen…”

“Yeesh. “

“She gets nightmares about it. Nothing important, I’m told. Just shades, you know? Echoes. But sometimes when we’re training she’ll get a look on her face that gives me the shivers.”

“I can imagine.”

“Yeah. She’s out for blood. A bunch of us are.”

“What do you mean?”

“You don’t feel it?”

“What?”

“In your gut. Stirring. You’re awake now. You know what this world is like, Caramel. And now you know what it could be. Doesn’t that make your stomach churn?”

“…yeah. It does.”

“Exactly.”

“B-but I still don’t know what’s going on! How many of us are there? What are we trying to do? Are the bearers with us?”

“Calm down. You’re fine. Waking up can be quite the adjustment. You’ve already seen pretty much everyone we have. There are a few others that are out on missions, but they should be back within the week. As for the bearers? Great question. No one knows where they are.”

“None of them?”

“None of them. And it’s not for lack of trying. Blueblood’s using what influence he has to track them down. It’s only a matter of time.”

“And then what?”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean what happens when we find them?”

“….Then we can finally get started.”