• Published 8th Jul 2015
  • 1,727 Views, 8 Comments

Mario & Luigi: Pony Party - NintendoBrony64



Mario and Luigi are sent to Equestria and embark on another adventure to bring peace back to Equestria.

  • ...
3
 8
 1,727

The Shadow Thief

Author's Note:

Sorry for the wait, this one took longer than I though it would to write. Every time I had an idea for the chapter a new thought would enter and I had to decide what to put down. :ajbemused:

But, I'm finally finished and I hope you all enjoy. :twilightsmile:

In the center of the maze, the Mane 6 were trapped in their own individual pink magic bubbles. They tried everything they could think of to escape, but nothing worked. Twilight and Rarity tried using their magic to try to cancel the bubbles with a spell Twilight knew, but they had massive migraines after the attempt. Applejack tried kicking the bubble's walls, which only proved to tire herself out faster that usual. It was like with every kick she felt more and more weight adding onto her hind legs. It didn't help that the bubble would just absorb every kick she threw either. Rainbow Dash rammed the bubble in hope of busting her way out, but that only resulted in her ricocheting within the bouncy interior.

Pinkie was having the time of her life bouncing round in her bubble while Fluttershy silently watched. They have been at it for at least an hour now, and were showing extreme exhaustion.

Rainbow Dash groaned as she tried catching her breath. "Geez, it's like that time our Cutie Marks were taken from us!"

"Please, darling, don't bring that horrible experience up," Rarity said. "It makes me fell sick to my stomach to think that I couldn't tell the difference between gorgeous and tacky!" Her face suddenly turned slightly green from the memory.

"It's all part of the security system," Twilight said. "Trapping those that try to steal from the archives is only part of the enchantment. The second part is to capture the culprit and/or anypony that touches a book, and prevent them from using any magic or strength they possess. Even my Alicorn magic is blocked off."

"Wait, if that's the case then why is there nopony else here with us?" Rainbow asked.

"The library was closed today," Twilight said. "So it makes sense that nopony would be here with us."

"Mario and Luigi are not here either," Rarity said after a quick look around.

"Oh, I hope they're okay," Fluttershy said softly.

"They're National Heroes in their kingdom!" Rainbow said. "There's no way they'd let themselves be caught!"

Applejack gave the cyan pegasus a deadpan look. "So are we Rainbow Dash, and yet look what happened to us."

"Maybe they'll run into an old friend that they know from their dimension and team up and defeat some sort of monster in order to save us!" Pinkie said with a big smile.

Everypony was silent after Pinkie's outburst.

"Yeah, I highly doubt that," Rainbow said.

"Well whatever the case, we'll have to wait until Mario and Luigi to reach us and hopefully find a way to free us," Twilight said. Her statement gained a nod from her friends, and so they got comfortable in their prison bubbles.


Mario and Luigi continued down the seemingly endless corridor of books and shelves, with the occasional paper earth, unicorn, and/or pegasus pony attacking them. What they didn't expect to find during their venture, however, were Question Blocks they found floating in their path. They would have to figure out how Question Blocks were in this dimension later. Right now, they needed to rescue their new friends.

After a few hours, or at least that's what it felt like, of walking they decided to take a breather for a moment and sit on a couple of conveniently placed chairs.

"Is it just me, or are we experiencing a sort of pattern with our lives?" Luigi asked as he munched on one of their newly obtained Mushrooms.

"What are you talking about little bro?"

"I mean, I get the feeling that after this we're going to be thrust into another world saving quest! I've noticed that's always happened after small events like this one. It's not just in our kingdom, but in others as well. Who's to say this kingdom, not to mention this dimension will be any different?"

Mario sighed. "Yes, I've noticed that too. I wouldn't really be surprised if that happened while we were here, but who knows." Mario bit into a Mushroom. "This could be a simple break in that the Princess wanted us to look into, and then the rest of the month will go by without anything happening."

Luigi popped the last bit of his Mushroom into his mouth. "I hope you're right bro. This past week has been very relaxing, and I'd like that to last a little bit longer."

"GAH! Back off you bozos!"

The sudden outburst caught their attention. At first they were confused; who else could be there...! They then noticed someone running towards them, while being chased by four paper pegasi. Upon closer inspection, the person being chased was the last person Mario and Luigi would ever see..

"You've got to be kidding me..." Luigi groaned.

The one ahead of the chase was someone they've run into several times in both the Beanbean and Pi'illo Kingdom. The self proclaimed "Shadow Thief", Popple.

The thief leaped over the plumbers and continued their dash. Popple gazed over his shoulders and yelled. "You two look strong and durable, be a good distraction!" He then dove behind a fort of stacked books that the Mario Brothers could have sworn was not there a second ago.

Mario and Luigi turned back towards the pegasi that were now charging towards them. Mario jumped up and stomped his feet into the first two pegasi, making them burst into harmless paper sheets.

"Help!"

Mario quickly turned around only to find his brother being towed away by the last two pegasi. He struggled to get free from their grasp, but to no avail. Mario saw no other way to get to his brother. He can jump pretty high, but the altitude they were gaining was too high even for him.

"Come on, there's got to be some way to get up there." He looked around to find any possible way to reach his quickly ascending brother. *Sigh* "Looks like I'll have to use the shelves." He backed up a bit to get a running start, and with a sprint, he leaped up and began applying his experience in wall jumping on the surprisingly sturdy bookshelves.

Luigi's face slowly lost it's color as he watched the floor became beyond his reach. "Oh Mamma Mia. Too high, much, much too high."

Suddenly, the two pegasi holding him up looped and changed their angle and accelerated towards the floor. This is when Luigi unleashed an unmanly scream.

"Luigi!"

His fear vanished at the sound and sight of brother jumping up the bookshelves. Luigi braced himself as Mario tackled him and forcefully removed him from the pegasi's grip, and safely hop back down the bookshelves towards the floor.

Luigi released a relieved sigh. "Thanks bro. I thought I was a goner for a minute there."

"Don't thank me yet," Mario said as he turned his attention back to the circling pegasi.

The brothers watched as the pegasi dived towards them. Then, at the last second, they rolled out from under the dive bombing pegasi, making them slam into the floor and explode into paper sheets.

"Whew, I'm glad I had you two take out those Paper-Mache freaks."

Popple came shuffling out from behind their book fort and marched over to the Mario Brothers. "It was very clever of me to assume that you two were capable of beating those things. The Great Shadow Thief has an eye for potential rookies, see?"

Mario and Luigi deadpanned at Popple's boasting.

Since he was no longer being hunted down, he could study the brothers a little more closely. "Hey, wait a minute..." His eyes squinted as he studied them with more intensity. Then it hit him. "Are you kidding me!? How did I manage to run into you two palookas here?" He started angrily stomping his feet. "I thought I was rid of you lot since you ruined my plans on robbing the Pi'illo Kingdom of its treasures!"

"The real, question here is," Mario spoke up. "How did you end up here in Equestria?"

"I was trying to steal from some bigshot's castle," he said calmly. "I was able to get in thanks to his security literally sleeping on the job." He then had a huge grin on his face. "I mean, c'mon, with security as lazy as that, they were just begging for me to rob them dry!"

He then scowled. "I was on my way to the castle gates, until I was caught by some the big guy and some weird Koopa flying around on a broom."

Mario and Luigi turned to each other, then back to Popple. "You seriously tried to steal from Bowser?" Luigi asked.

The thief clearly wasn't listening as he continued his rambling. "Then the Koopa on the broom tried to hit me with some spell. He missed, and blasted the gates wide open. Thinking that was my cue to disappear, I leaped through, but instead of obtaining freedom I went through some weird Poison Mushroom trip and ended up here in Magical Pony Land."

"Well, at least we now know how Bowser came up with the idea of how to get rid of us," Luigi whispered to Mario, to which nodded in acknowledgment.

"How long ago was this?" Mario asked.

"Um...pffft...several months, give ore take..."

Their eyes widened. So Popple was in this world far longer than they were. "What are you doing here inside a library?" Mario asked.

"Some pony actually told me that if I was looking for treasure to steal, then the 'Canterlot Library' would be the best place to look."

Silence filled the corridor as Mario and Luigi gave him blank looks. Popple ignored them and continued talking. "But so far, all I keep running into are those Paper-Mache freaks and possessed books ever since I tried to get through a secret door that was hidden behind a giant painting." He sighed. "Oh well, I've been through worse. I guess we're in this together until we get out of this place."

He then began walking aimlessly down the corridor. The Mario Brothers sighed heavily before fallowing.


After several hours of trudging through the maze, a few battles, and listening to Popple's nonstop babbling about how awesome a thief he is, they eventually make it to a pair of tall doors.

"This must be the end of the maze," Mario said.

"I hope so," Luigi sat on the floor, took off his shoes and began rubbing his feet. "I don't think my poor feet could take much more walking."

"I don't know why you're moping. I feel perfectly fine," Popple said.

"That's because you made me and Mario do all the fighting."

Mario tossed Luigi a Mushroom. "There's no point in arguing. By our luck, there's going to be a 'Boss' on the other side of these doors so you'll need to refuel your energy."

"Wait, you mean there's something even worse than what we've been running into behind those doors?" Popple asked.

"Most likely."

"...Well, it's been nice knowing you! I believe I'll take my chances with the bozos that we left in the dust. See ya, suckers!" Within seconds, Popple had disappeared back into the maze.

The brothers just stared in the direction the thief had bolted. Luigi then turned to Mario. "Should we go after him or..."

Mario shook his head. "There's nowhere for him to go. Besides, saving our friends is more important."

Agreeing with his brother, they walked up to the tall doors and pushed them open. But, there was nopony there.

"Where are they? This is the end of the maze, right?" Luigi asked as they searched the room.

"Guys! Up here!"

The sound of Twilights voice caught their attention, and they quickly looked up. There they were, floating in separate magic bubbles.

"Now, how are we supposed to get you out of those bubbles?" Mario asked.

"Well, they're inside bubbles," Luigi backed up a few steps. "We just have to pop them."

Twilight's eyes widen. "Wait, Luigi don't-!"

Too late.

Luigi dashed forward and jumped. Luigi's feet slammed into the bubble Twilight was trapped in, but unfortunate for Luigi it didn't pop. Instead, he was repelled onto the floor with just as much force as he used on the bubble making spider web cracks. Everyone in the room cringed.

"You okay there, sugar cube?" Applejack asked.

All Luigi could manage was a painful moan. Suddenly, Twilight's bubble began vibrating and producing electricity. A spark transferred from Twilight's bubble to the others until all of them were surging with electricity. Then they began to merge with one another.

"Um, what's happening Twilight?" Fluttershy asked; fear evident in her eyes.

"I don't know! Luigi must have triggered the defense system!"

Once the bubbles became one, it was easily three times the size of the originals. The electricity ceased and then fell to the ground which shook the room. The now grounded bubble wiggled before sprouting two arms with fists roughly the same size as the Mario Brothers, and a giant eye opened in the center of the bubble. It gazed down at them, furrowed its eye, and gave off a loud gurgling sound.

Boss Battle
Prison Bubble

The room flashed, temporarily blinding Mario and Luigi. When it was safe to open there eyes, they noticed that the room was much bigger than before, and looked like a Coliseum Stage. Now they had enough space to dodge any incoming attacks.

"Huh, this also seems to happen every time we fight a 'Boss'," Luigi said as he looked around.

The Prison Bubble raised its fists and brought them down hard, sending a shockwave towards the brothers. Mario managed to jump over the attack, but because Luigi wasn't paying attention, it caused him to be sent flying backwards a few feet.

The Boss swung its open palm down to crush Mario, but he dodged by jumping onto the monster's hand and running up is arm. Once he was close enough, he leaped up and planted his feet onto the top of the monster's head. Although just like Luigi from earlier, he was caught off guard as he sprung upwards do to the Boss's rubbery exterior. The Prison Bubble watched as Mario fell back down, it then brought one of its fists back and punched Mario when he was eye level and sent him sprawling along the floor. The ponies trapped within the Boss cringed as all they could do was helplessly watch.

Mario and Luigi groggily rose to their feet. Luigi turned to his brother, "Man, not even Bowser hurt this much."

"We're in an entirely different world Luigi," Mario said. "Of course there are going to be enemies we're not use to fighting."

"I'm just surprised that this is the first enemy that doesn't have spikes, and we can't rely on jumping on them like we normally do," Luigi said finally regaining his senses.

"Which means we need to find it's weakness."

They turned their attention back to the Boss when they heard their friends screaming and noticed it had bounced into the air. Upon landing, it slammed its fists onto the floor and created another shockwave. Mario was able to dodge, Luigi however jumped a little too late and the attack nipped his feet causing him to trip and summersault, turning him into a ball rolling towards the Prison Bubble.

Mario, in the spur of the moment, quickly ran up behind his rolling brother brought his foot back and kicked; turning Luigi into a projectile and crashing into the surprised monster's giant eye. The monster stumbled back rubbing its now pain filled eye.

"Ah ha!" Mario cheered. "So your eye is your weakness!"

Luigi jumped to his feet and glared at Mario. "Did you really have to kick me that hard?"

Mario scratched the back of his head and smiled sheepishly. "Sorry."

The brothers returned their attention back to the Prison Bubble to find it glaring and trembling with anger. With a loud gurgle, it's arms retracted into its body, and began barreling towards them.

"Whoa!"

"Incoming!"

The brothers narrowly evaded the steamrolling Bubble as they dove to the sides. The Prison Bubble was moving so fast that it couldn't navigate correctly, and crashed into the bookshelf walls and stopped completely. The Boss rolled back to reveal the giant eye swirling.

The poor ponies inside looked like they were going to be sick from the ride they just went on. "That was NOT fun..." Pinkie moaned.

Mario and Luigi took this as an opportunity to strike and stomped their feet into the Boss's eye. With a pain filled gurgle the Prison Bubble rotated its body back upright, and regrew its arms. Then, in a pit of blind rage, it flailed its arms around desperately trying to crush Mario and Luigi. They managed to avoid being pummeled into the floor, albeit just barely, by jumping over its fits when swung to the side and side stepping when swung downward. Then it raised its fists into the air and slammed them down to create a massive shockwave that the brothers didn't expect, and the attack shot them into the air.

While still airborne, Mario noticed that the Boss had halted its rampage to catch its breath. He quickly recovered and looked to Luigi, who had turned to him and gave him the same look of understanding, and they nodded to each other. Mario held out his hands and Luigi grabbed them. He then spun a few times to gain speed, and when he landed he used the momentum he needed, and he tossed his brother at the Boss with everything he had.

The Prison Bubble looked up and saw Mario rocketing towards it. Being too exhausted to react, it couldn't stop Mario from slamming his feet into its eye. The tremendous amount of force behind Mario's attack caused the Boss's body to crack. Mario back flipped a few feet from the Boss ready to continue; Luigi quickly rejoining him.

The Prison Bubble raised its arms to attack, but its body suddenly freezes and its giant eye widened. The cracks in its body increase and light began to flow through, and finally the Prison Bubble exploded into a sea of rainbow colored stars.

After the stars disperse, Twilight and the others fell to the floor where the Boss once stood. The ponies groaned as they tried to steady themselves; all of them disoriented from the ride. Light then filled everyone's vision, and they were back in the room from before the fight.

"Dose this sort of thing happen a lot with you two?" Twilight asked.

"Yeah, but we're use to it," Mario said.

Suddenly, the room violently shook causing many of the books on the shelves to crash to the floor. The room was then covered in a pink aura, and everyone watched in awe as the room shrank. The room stopped shrinking, and the aura disappeared and the shaking came to an end as well. Now, they were standing in what appeared to be in a lounge.

"Okay, anypony gonna tell us what the hay just happened?" Applejack asked.

"I guess the monster was connected to the Library Security Spell," Twilight said. "The library must be back to normal."

"Does that mean that it will be easier to find the pony that tried to steal from the library is still here?" Fluttershy asked timidly.

"That's quite possible darling, that is if he has not escaped already," Rarity said.

Mario cleared his throat and brought the ponies attention to him. "Actually, we found the thief before we came to find you."

"Really?" They all asked in unison.

"And, turns out that it was someone we've run into a couple of times back home," Luigi said.

"What!?"

"But, how is that possible?" Twilight asked.

"He apparently got here the same way as us," Luigi sighed. "He was trying to steal from Bowser's treasury. Kamek used the same teleportation spell on him, which led them to use it on us."

"Ha!" Pinkie suddenly appeared behind the brothers. "I told you that they would meet somepony from their world!"

"You also said that it would be a friend of theirs," Rainbow said with a raised eyebrow.

"Anyway, we'd better go after him before he can escape," Twilight said trotting towards the doors with everyone following.


Meanwhile, through a door behind a giant painting of Celestia, down a spiral staircase, a cloaked figure walked up to a book sitting on a pedestal in the middle of the room. Upon opening it, the book produced a bright red glow revealing her face. Starlight Glimmer smirked and chuckled as she removed her hood, and gazed upon the contents of the book.

"With this, I'll be able to take my revenge on Twilight and her friends," she said with sinister smirk.

Comments ( 2 )

Since he was no longer being hunted down, he could study the brothers a little more closely. "Hey, wait a minute..." His eyes squinted as he studied them with more intensity. Then it hit him. "Are you kidding me!? How did I manage to run into you two palookas here?" He started angrily stomping his feet. "I thought I was rid of you lot since you ruined my plans on robbing the Pi'illo Kingdom of its treasures!"

Don't forget the Beanbean Kingdom too Popple!

Login or register to comment