• Published 5th Jul 2015
  • 3,186 Views, 193 Comments

Dinner at Ravenloft - Meep the Changeling



Vinyl's father invites her and her friends to the family for a weekend visit. Unfortunately for Vinyl, there is something she neglected to tell her friends about her family...

  • ...
4
 193
 3,186

The Friends

Octavia Melody - 12th of Solar Dusk ‘03 EoH - Noon

I was unconscious for the rest of the weekend. I woke up an hour before we had to leave, and that entire hour was spent with Vinyl’s father doing tests. Apparently I was perfectly healthy for a vampire.

While I could still eat meat like a werewolf, and my hunting mode took the form of my previous wolf form, all other traces of that curse had been removed. While I was sad I wouldn’t get to fly, at least I was truly a person again. The only thing to do now as to go home and practice my new abilities with Vi.

Well, I also needed to work through controlling my new… urges. I had expected wanting to drink blood. I had not expected the more… seductive urges. I now understood Vinyl a lot better, and maybe felt just a touch bad for all the times I turned down her propositions.

“Okay, does everypony have everything?” Vi asked in her normal speaking volume.

Ow! Why was everything so loud?

“Yep!” Lyra said with a smile.

She was about twenty feet away. I could see the little lines and bits of food on her teeth. That was just unsettling.

Cole nodded and gave Meep a playful elbow. “I made sure she didn’t forget to pack herself.”

Huh, even with vampire vision Cole’s smile was perfect.

I rubbed a temple with my hoof. Everything was too loud!

“You doing okay Octy?” Vinyl asked with a frown.

“Is everything always this loud to you?” I asked.

“Huh? Oh, I’m sure you'll get used to it soon.” She laughed.

Bon-bon shook her head and walked forwards into the middle of our group. “Okay, so two things. First, why the buck are we not all getting bit? It’s apparently nothing but perks!”

Vi sighed and shook her head. “Look, I’ll turn you later if you want me too. But not now. It’s going to take about three months to get Octy totally in control of herself. I live with her, so I can do that. If you want to be a vampire, cool! But you will need to either wait till I can focus on teaching you or stay here for a few months so you don't accidentally kill somepony in a blood lust.”

Cole nodded to herself, “That sounds like a good reason. Lyra, is that a good reason?”

“Yes. Very good.” Lyra commented.

“Thank you Lyra.” Cole finished.

I had to smile at their little back and forth antics. It was good to know they accepted my decision. Or well, had completely expected Vi would turn me at any rate.

Bonnie nodded in agreement. “Okay, that answers that. So next thing. Meep was a changeling the entire time, Vi is a vampire, and Octavia was a freaking werewolf!”

“What are you saying?” I asked curiously.

“I’m saying that It’s pretty damn clear that we all have something we are hiding from each other. Why don’t we all come clean right now and get it all over with?” Bon-bon asked. Then she bit her lip nervously, gulped, I heard her heartbeat speed up, and she announced. “I’ll go first.”

“What?” Meep, Vinyl, and I exclaimed together.

“I didn’t actually go to college to get a business license.” Bon-bon admitted.

Lyra rolled her eyes. “Seriously? That’s the big secr- Wait where were you going all the time then?” She asked giving Bon-bon and causing glare. "You were visiting a human version of me went you!?"

Bon-bon rolled her eyes. “I was working for the Special Homeland Intelligence and Espionage Logistics Department, as a part of a special team called M.A.T.”

There was a half second of silence before Meep muttered, “They need a shorter name for that.”

“They’re working on it.” Bonnie added. “So um… I was kinda hunting monsters and tracking people who might be summoning or controlling them. I always wondered why we were told there were no vampires or werewolves. Guess I know now.

“They retired me when a mission went bad. Remember that time I was it the hospital Lyra? Yeah that. After that my cover was compromised… That’s why I really wanted to move to Ponyville. Kinda had the mob after me. I don’t anymore, and it’s completely safe now… But, I used to be a Special Agent.”

Lyra blinked twice. “Really?”

“Yes.” Bon-bon answered.

“You’re not making that up because you want to look cool since your friends are supernatural creatures or shape shifters?” Lyra demanded.

“No. And if you don’t believe me I can prove it. We could stop in Canterlot and I could get us a tour of the Special Forces barracks.” Bonbon offered.

“No, I believe you.” Lyra sighed. “I’m just pissed because now I have to tell everypony my thing or everypony will just find out in some convoluted way in a few months!”

Seriously? Were none of us just normal ponies? I shook my head, “Okay, so what is it?”

“You know the conspiracy theorists I keep in touch with?” Lyra started, “Well we’re actually an Equestria wide organization dedicated to finding the truth behind everything. Like, literally everything. We’re called B.A.R.D.-”

Bon-bon gasped, “The Brotherhood of Adventurers, Rogues, and Detectives actually exists?”

“Yep! It’s not just a foals club or some college pony thing. It’s a real organization, and we actually do have a hidden library of lore. I’m head of the Ponyville chapter. Most of my um… shenanigans, are from when I’ve been working to uncover things. Currently we're investigating the Everfree forest to try to find out what’s really causing it to fall to chaos. Humans are my pet project for the B.A.R.D.” Lyra finished.

“Okay.” Vinyl said slowly starting to point to everypony in turn starting with herself, “So, Vampire, changeling, former werewolf now a vampire, spy, adventurer…” She stopped with her hoof pointed at Colegate.

Everypony turned to look at the blue mare, wondering what she might have been hiding from us this whole time. Colegate shuffled her hooves nervously, bit her lip in worry, gulped and announced, “I… was adopted!”

Everypony facehooved in unison.

“Nothing else?” Meep asked. “Were you like, the daughter of Faust or something? Sent to Equis to bring better dentistry to us mortals?”

“Nope!” Cole laughed. “Just adopted. But since everypony else shared a deep secret… I um… I slowly doctored Meep’s photos of her Twinkleshine form to be more attractive over five years. That way when she made sure she was keeping up the disguise she was implementing the changes I made. Originally her flanks were more squared, and her nose didn’t have that little heart shaped patch of slightly darker fur between the nostrils… I um… mostly wanted to see if you would notice the changes.”

Everypony cracked up into laughter. After five minutes of laughing, once the tears were cleared out of our eyes, it was clear our friendship had survived the weekend and was far stronger for it.

Vi got up, shook her head and said, “Right then my changeling, former werewolf now a vampire, spy, adventurer, and normal unicorn friends, let’s go home before our collective weirdness has Cole mutate into an alien or something.”

“Yeah!” Lyra laughed, “With my luck she’s actually a transformed human and just doesn't know it.”

“Oh, you are so not going to start spying on me to test that theory!” Cole objected.

Yep, everything was back to normal for us. Which apparently was one sixth of our collective group.

“Lyra, you can administer crackpot science on the train. Let’s get going.” I chuckled.

"Ponyfeatuers!" Meep shouted suddenly, making me flinch. "I almost forgot!"

"Forgot what?" VI asked in confusion.

"Octavia!" Meep beamed a mischievous smile at me. "The count wanted you to know that when Vinyl was a filly she called her dad-"

"Don you dare!" Vi shouted pointing her hoof threateningly.

"Daddypookins." Meep finished.

Vi groaned and held her hoof in her hands as everypony giggled. Myself included.

"Ha!" the Count's voice echoed from somewhere in the castle. "Thanks for that Meep!"

"Thank you for a wonderful weekend Daddypookins-in-law!" I called, making Vi give me a betrayed look.

I smiled, leanded over and gave her a loving kiss. "Don't worry hon, you're still the coolest mare I know."

I picked up my bags, marveled at how light they felt to me now, and headed for the cart, whistling happily.

~~~~~ End ~~~~~

Author's Note:

So, did Vinyl return the wayward daughter of Don Tequila to her home. And having no further concern, she and her companions sought adventure in the West. Many adventures and shenanigans did Vinyl have. Honor and respect were heaped upon her name and, in time, she became a princess by her own hoof... And this story shall also be told.

Comments ( 126 )

First!

Also, the werewolf Octavia is adorable.
Also, Vi's dad is like an amazing combo of Dracula and Doctor Milokio from the Awesomes.

6171141 Um no? Vampires using formal speech is kind of a part of the genera.

... If I didn't have a gf, I'd be reading this now... Though, I still know that I'll love it ^_^ *Like and fave so she can remember to read it sooner*

6171171 Do you read romance stories with your girlfriend together or something?

6171183 No, I chat with her the majority of my day. I usually read when I know she'll be gone for a while or is asleep nowdays. Otherwise, I'm more or less checking fimfic at least once every ten minute to check if she's back. So I might read some of this when she's sleeping :P (and she's a like six hour train ride away from me, kinda hard to read it with her :P)

6171353 That's volume one, abridged.

I would go through and just point out every single reference in each chapter, but since I read it already that would be cheating. Also, spoils the fun of finding them all. Oh well, still a fantastic story Meep. :pinkiesmile:

6171453 The comedy tag is now in full effect... Though I think you realized that.

Excellent Vinyl vampire story. There were a literal endless barrage of references but none of them were forced and you use pop culture material in such a magical way.

I imagine this story will tie into your other stories and if so I can't wait.

6171547 Im glad you liked it! Part of my general writing style is references which actually mean something to the story, so I'm glad you enjoyed them.

I am actually saddened that I did not notice this was a Sequel until after I finished and looked through your other stories... (T'was the name Ravenloft as a long time Pen and Paper player that caught my attention).

I feel this story balanced itself well between first and third person, and it was great fun to see how each of the different members of the group interacted with one another, as well as speculate on what they were all hiding from one another (I have a soft spot for stories with characters are hiding something, heh).

Also I really liked Lyra and Vinyl's father here, punslingers are the absolute best. I feel like you didn't over do the quirkiness of Lyra like so many are wont to do. Lastly, good use of references, they integrated well, and felt natural. Overall, very good stuffs, glad I read it~

Welp, time to bookmark and rummage in the other stories, for when I have proper time to give them. First up, The Bridesmaids.

6171680

(T'was the name Ravenloft as a long time Pen and Paper player that caught my attention)

That was a little tip of the cap to my fellow D&D nerds. Glad you caught it!

I feel like you didn't over do the quirkiness of Lyra like so many are wont to do.

Yeah, sadly a lot writers take my second favorite pony and write her like she is actually medically retarded and also manic. I find her far more fun with she's pretty smart, but easily distracted and has weird tastes. Fun and weird with a dash of quirky makes the best Lyra.

Welp, time to bookmark and rummage in the other stories, for when I have proper time to give them. First up, The Bridesmaids.

I think you'll like that one. As for my other works, when you get to Across the Sea of Time, there is a pretty large time-skip between this story and that point in the AU. I decided to hop ahead on my time line and do a fic I felt like at the time which exploded into way longer than I thought it would. Though by all accounts (Save one) it's pretty darn good.

6171795 Bri-chan... You should know better than to give me ideas by now.

6171866 The total number of people who got the joke is now... 2 of 35. Oh god I'm old!

Bon-bon rolled her eyes. “I was working for the Special Homeland Intelligence and Espionage Logistics Department, as a part of a special team called M.A.T.”

:rainbowlaugh:

There was a half second of silence before Meep muttered, “They need a shorter name for that.”

:facehoof:

"Daddypookins." Meep finished.

Great timing there.

This was great. It was nice to see these 6 in action again. Vinyl's dad is just perfect at being "that dad" with the awful jokes. Well, awful to most anyway.
------

“They retired me when a mission went bad. Remember that time I was it he hospital Lyra?

in the

6171916 Happy to write these guys again! This didn't quite sate my appatite for them though.. I may need to do another one. One that's more... Lyrabony.

6172558 Heh, I actually named the character Meep based on the sound I make when surprised. Though that's just the version of her name she goes by since ponies cant pronounce changelish properly. So it's more of a nickname. Her full name is Mhi'par Ka'ra, each ' designates an infrasonic chir, something ponies cant actually hear or make. So you know, revised name friends can pronounce is what she goes by.

6172754 I got it from a college humor skit. They may have made it up, they may have gotten it elsewhere.

And now Luna's Pony commandos team is formed!

6172987 Almost, at least now you know what their skills are and why they have them!

6173809 Im glad you liked it Timuri!

That was actually something I didn’t know myself. “Where was I bitten? I don’t know.”
“Third base!” the count exclaimed,

THE REFERENCES! THEY'RE COMING FOR US!

I really enjoyed both of the stories, however all the spelling and grammar errors really annoyed me.

6175345 I'm sorry if the grammar annoyed you. I'm sure my editor did his best. I know I did.

6175525 As this is a lampoon of vampire tropes, a nod to Drac was needed.

OH. My. GOD. BEST VAMPIRE/WEREWOLF fic EVER. PLEASE WRITE MORE. I need to know what happens to Octavia and Vinyl. pleeeeeeeease. Also I do believe I saw a Hellsing reference. That was awesome. I need more please.cs624631.vk.me/v624631352/3899e/WT3o7PyHoJk.jpg

6177548 No worries! I am going to do more! The next new story I upload will continue this storyline :3

that was an awesome story, I more would be awesome, plz:twilightsmile:

6177548 that photo tho

i just read the first chapter, this is now my second favorite story on fimfiction. i'm impressed, thank you for making this.

6178837 That is perhaps the most flattering thing I have been told about my writing. Thank you! I hope you enjoy the whole thing!

6175373 I would be happy to be a second spell checker and grammar checker for you. I'm no grammar-Nazi, but I've done enough writing and editing to help you out.

6180378 I would love that. If you could just PM me with any corrections and where to make them I'll take care of it.

6189255 I'm glad you're loving it ^.^ I spent a long time making the jokes good and part of the plot... Except for Ravenloft that's just for D&D fans to raise an eyebrow at.

6205506 I am actually surprised that no one else saw that hint about Octavia there...
6205640 I take it you liked that I made the name a literal description of the city. It's a dark place nestled in the shade within a hollow spot of the earth.

6209624

:rainbowderp: Interesting.

I thought so too. That was easily the coolest plotpoint in this entire movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ

6171876 Make that 3 out of 35.

6210915 I have updated the score! High hoof buddy! ^.^/)

6210955. Bad part, I only caught it during my second run through. Cuz, ya know, Liked it so much, just had to read it again.

6213296

Now that feels like an important detail for the overall series.

Oh well you know, it's only kidna massively important.

The unnamed brother is Sombra, isn't he?

He is, and yes they are.

Clearly the right move for every reason other than making sure it was an epic fight.

Well, to be fair, she was very grumpy that morning.

Well, I also needed to work through controlling my new… urges. I had expected wanting to drink blood. I had not expected the more… seductive urges. I now understood Vinyl a lot better, and maybe felt just a touch bad for all the times I turned down her propositions.

Understanding at least, just in time for an eternity of crazy vampire sex. :derpytongue2:

Yeah, that's a good reason.

Bon-bon rolled her eyes. “I was working for the Special Homeland Intelligence and Espionage Logistics Department, as a part of a special team called M.A.T.”

Hahaha! Perfect, especially since this was apparently written before you'd watched the first half of season five.

Ooooo, and she was a monster hunter, even better.

Lyra's secret is pretty fun too.

Everypony turned to look at the blue mare, wondering what she might have been hiding from us this whole time. Colegate shuffled her hooves nervously, bit her lip in worry, gulped and announced, “I… was adopted!”

Hah! Of course, readers of the first story know the secret that she's fairly psionically powerful, so she does have that going for her.

“Nope!” Cole laughed. “Just adopted. But since everypony else shared a deep secret… I um… I slowly doctored Meep’s photos of her Twinkleshine form to be more attractive over five years. That way when she made sure she was keeping up the disguise she was implementing the changes I made. Originally her flanks were more squared, and her nose didn’t have that little heart shaped patch of slightly darker fur between the nostrils… I um… mostly wanted to see if you would notice the changes.”

Bwhahahahaha!

I can see why we needed this backstory for the L-six, it is definitely going to come up in Sea of Sky. And now I believe that I am totally caught up. Well, except for that chapter of Sea of Sand, wanted to get the rest of this story read first.

6215421

Good plan. It'll be fun having bat-vampire Vinyl and wolf-vampire Octavia later on.

Yup! Well, the next three months are going to suck. But after that!

Hahaha! Perfect, especially since this was apparently written before you'd watched the first half of season five.

Ooooo, and she was a monster hunter, even better.

My editor made me aware of that episode back when I had him look it over. The hilarious thing is I had written out their backstories before I even wrote The Bridesmaids! Also for extra lols, take "Special Homeland Intelligence and Espionage Logistics Department" and make it an inishilisum.

Hah! Of course, readers of the first story know the secret that she's fairly psionically powerful, so she does have that going for her.

Yes, but WHY she's psi adept is pritty important...

I can see why we needed this backstory for the L-six, it is definitely going to come up in Sea of Sky.

Yup! Almost immanently.

6241826 What's B.A.R.D. a tip of the cap too? Oh, just a little thing I dont expect young folks to have actually heard about. It's basically what every single fantasy setting since 1967 has ripped off of been inspired by. Till D&D 4e fucked it to death with a splintered 2x4...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L8kSJShAnk

It's criminal that this still has so few views....but there is that you've got a perfect record on votes at least!

Two vampires, a Harper, a SHIELD agent, a shapeshifter, and a powerful psion. Still looking forward to seeing more of them in Upon.

Sorry, I'm very excited after reading this, so please bear with me.

But Oh my gawd..... This is a very nice piece of work, only downside is the lack of details on the surroundings, but that's just it. Storyline was intriguing, grammar was nice, dialogue well executed, and yes, I'll recommend it to a lot of people.( not that I know a lot to recommend to....)

But this story deserves more reads.... and upvotes....

6320996 This is honestly the best thing I have ever written. My only regret is that I can't sell it or profit from it in any way. This could have been an amazing novella.

6533026

They have national allies with carnivores like Griffins I would assume they at least know about different meals made with meat.

6551735 Exactly this! Also we see Big Mac fishing, and in an episode in Canterlot we see a Pegasus at a restaurant being served what could be a flit of fish, so at the very least I think that Pegasi eat meat. Which would make scene, they could be based off ospreys or something.

Login or register to comment