• Published 6th Jul 2015
  • 306 Views, 4 Comments

Princess Celestia Discovers Cheesecake - Luna Lens



Celestial overhears a conversation about a certain dessert and decides to investigate for herself.

  • ...
 4
 306

Chapter 1

Princess Celestia lay atop a set of plush, red cushions in her private study. Court had ended for the day with surprisingly few ponies arriving to give the usual petitions: disputes over bits owed, Nervous requests for courtship, nobles arguing over the proper pronunciation of hors d'oeuvres after a particularly boring party had left them with nothing to discuss… well alright, that one might have been at least a little interesting, but besides that, it was the typical grind. Celestia had, of course, listened to each one wholeheartedly, not wanting to give anypony the idea that she showed apathy towards the concerns of her subjects. It would not, after all, be very Princess-like to leave the citizens of Equestria without a place to voice their opinions no matter how petty or mundane they might be.

Of course, some ponies did approach the Solar Princess with more serious petitions such as the modernization of Canterlot’s older infrastructure in the skyway district, which the diarch was quick to approve. Many places in the city were becoming outdated with its continued expansion. Still, even these did little to entertain the Princess as she sat attentively atop her dais. Often, the only thought that gave her strength to ensure her continued raising of the sun was the dependance of her little ponies. She, along with her sister and the royal council were in charge of the entire nation, making decisions that would affect ponies from all around the land, and most did not even realize just how much they relied on their princesses for their continued well-being.

But today was different. Today there was something Celestia was looking forward to. A small, white cardboard box floated in her magic next to her. It contained an experience ponies seldom partook in. It was a treat reserved for the elite of the elite and nopony else. Even the princess had not had the privilege of tasting such a delectable sweet as the one she was set to indulge in just a few moments. Perhaps it was the sheer difficulty the pastry presented to those who attempted to bake it, or perhaps it was merely a niche of desserts, not popular enough to be learned and forever destined to take a back seat in the world of gastronomy. Whatever the case might be, one thing was very clear. Cheesecake was seldom found in Equestria and considered a delicacy by the few who were interested enough to make themselves aware of its existence.

Celestia herself had only seen the sweet rise in popularity a hoofful of times in her many centuries of rule, and among those times it was still difficult to find. She shrugged it off as a simple fad among the richest of ponies and nothing more. She paid it no mind as it surfaced over the years. That is until this morning when she was out for a leisurely stroll. Of course she never went for these walks as herself. Faust forbid she go as the princess. No. Whenever she went out it was always in a disguise. Had she attempted to simply walk down the streets of Canterlot in her normal royal attire she would have been swamped by ponies bowing and offering her random gifts of varying quality. Even if this weren’t the case, she was still bound to her duties as the Princess of the day, court included, unless she bribed her sister to pull double duty and take over for her. This is exactly what she had done today.

That was how things usually went between the two: favors traded for a court session here and a conference there, but never in excess. Both sisters understood the weight of their duties quite well and were more than willing to perform them...most of the time.

Anyways, we’re getting off track here. Celestia walked around that day, though everypony else simple saw a white unicorn with a light pink mane and tail. As she strolled around the streets, she couldn’t help but overhear others’ conversations, and one in particular from a couple caught her full attention.

“...the greatest cheesecake I’d ever tasted! I’m telling you, Mr. Lamp, it is not a treat to simply pass up,” a mulberry-colored mare with a teal mane said in the usual haughty, Canterlot dialect the Princess was used to hearing among the upper class. To be honest she found it rather annoying, but never said anything to others about it.

“I’ve heard of that type of cake, but I never thought much of it. If it truly is as delicious as you say it is, than surely the princess would know of it? I hear she’s rather attached to her confectionaries.” Celestia couldn’t help a moment of surprise at the stallion’s remark. Sure, her love of cake was well known to ponies close to her, but she had never publicly admitted to her cravings, and she did her best to keep them hidden. She shook off the feeling quickly, picking up to a brisk trot to catch up as the 2 ponies trailed off without her.

“Perhaps she has. I overheard one of the maids say something about her wanting to keep her...indulgences a secret the last time I visited the palace.”

“Well, I suppose it can’t hurt to at least look into it. Alright, where can I find the pony who makes this...cheesecake, you called it?”

“That is indeed its name. However, there’s only one I know of. She’s a gryphon.” the stallion raised an eyebrow. “I know, I know! I was hesitant to approach her myself, but the aroma from her bakery was simply intoxicating! She claimed it was a special cake she only made on occasion. It came with a hefty price, but one look and I simply knew I must have it!” The mare seemed to be getting lost in her own thoughts, likely remembering how mouth-watering the sight of the precious pastry was sitting there on the counter waiting for her to consume it. “Anyways,” she continued, snapping back to reality, “ I must be off to tend to the flowers. They won’t water themselves. Ta-ta, dear!”

Of course, you all know just how much the Princess enjoys her cake, so naturally she became interested in this gryphon as well. She recalled stepping into said bakery a few times. It wasn’t far from where the ponies were talking, but she had never once seen a gryphon tending to the customers. However, casting her thoughts to the wind, the Princess turned away from the two ponies and proceeded to the nearest intersection.

Ah, how lovely a city Canterlot was, she thought to herself as she walked alone, ponies bustling about wearing suits or carrying colorful bags in their magic from the shops nearby. Celestia passed a jewelry store where a salespony was conferring with a young mare, a playwright which appeared to be closed, a barber shop filled with ponies all being trimmed and groomed, and a few other buildings whose facades gave little clue as to what was going on inside, but nonetheless were pleasing to the eyes. She waved to a filly and her mother who were watering a garden outside of a short tower. They looked up and smiled back at her.

Not all of the ponies were nearly as kind or indifferent though. Some of them scowled at the princess, completely oblivious to her true identity. Most of them had a rather snobby air to them, so their demeanor wasn’t at all surprising, but it still lowered Celestia’s spirits just a little, but never mind that! She was nearly at the bakery now. It was a short, square building at the end of the road, built out of the impeccable white quartz most structures were made of here. The door sat in a recessed area in the center of the shop’s face flanked by two large windows and topped off with a painted, pink-frosted cupcake above. This was the place. It was a lovely place that Celestia had many fond memories of. The building was much, much older than it seemed. It was the place she had first tried Key Lime Pie. She absolutely loved it and had not stopped coming since, albeit with her disguise each time.

She approached the shop perhaps a little too quickly and pulled the door open with her golden magic and stepped inside. Sure enough, there behind the counter stood a gryphon. She was wearing a white apron with dried batter stains and a neutral expression on her face. She perked up as soon as she saw Celestia and moved next to the cash register.

“Good day, ma’am. What can I help you with” she asked in a kind voice. Wow, that pony was right. There really was a gryphon here. Celestia shook off her momentary stupor and walked up to the counter.

“Oh, hello.” She looked at the cakes behind the glass. “Do you bake here?”

“Yes, ma’am. I’ve been here for about 5 years now. I don’t think I’ve ever seen you here before though.”

Had it really been that long since Celestia had visited? It felt to her as though she had only set hoof inside this place yesterday.

“These all look wonderful,” Celestia continued, “but I was interested in one in particular.” The gryphon shifted her shoulders slightly and looked at the Princess with a questioning glance. “Do you make...cheesecake?” The gryphon’s expression immediately changed to one of surprise with a hint of shock.

“Uh, y-yes. I do. Not many ponies know about it. I’m surprised you asked.” She scratched her claws lightly on the tiled floor and continued. “I’ve only had one other pony ask me for it, and it is my most expensive dessert.”

“Money won’t be an issue,” Celestia replied as she pulled a beige bag out of her...tail?

Right, er, she laid the bag on top of the counter with a very distinct and pronounced rattling of Equestrian bits. The gryphon’s eyes widened a bit as she looked at the sizeable bag. “Keep the change.”

“Oh, of course. Thank you, ma’am. Would you like that in a box?”

“Yes, please.” The gryphon turned away and began walking towards a shelf but Celestia

called to her. “Oh, miss, I never did get your name.” The gryphon turned around to face her.

“Éclair, ma’am.” She turned back around and proceeded to a shelf off to the side.

Éclair, a rather fitting name for a baker, if a bit simple. Although I don’t believe I have encountered a gryphon baker before. Celestia mused quietly to herself while she waited for Éclair to return. She turned her head lazily from side to side, taking in the details of the room she was in. To the right were a group of tables--empty at the moment--whose white surfaces were spotless. The counter in front of her made a sharp turn on her left side and stretched, parallel to her body, all the way back to the front door. Behind said parallel portion of the counter sat a shelf with unfrosted cakes behind a set of frameless, glass doors. DIrectly in front of the princess ,behind the main counter was a door leading to the alleyway behind the bakery. To the right of the back door were additional cooling racks, and to the left there was a cargo lift which ,presumably, led up to where they actually baked the bread. To the far right behind the counter sat a steel wash basin with some small pots stacked on a table next to it.

The place was rather spartan, Celestia thought, but of course it would make sense to only have what they needed. After all they needed the space to move the big bread racks around.

Éclair turned back towards the counter with a small, string-wrapped box held in her beak. She approached the counter and set it down while simultaneously reaching up with a claw to grab the overstuffed bag of bits and put it on the floor. “Pleasure doing business, ma’am. Hope to see you again soon,” she chirped, almost literally mind you. She was clearly ecstatic, probably because of the huge profit she just turned.

“I certainly hope to visit this place more often!” With that, Celestia took the box in her golden magic and turned to leave. She opened the door and stepped back out onto the road. To say she was excited was an understatement, but it would be rather un-princess-like to bounce and laugh like a school filly, so instead she cantered away back to the palace.


Celestia clambered up the palace steps, slowing to a trot so as not to trip and spoil her prize. She always liked walking through the palace to get to her chambers.

Canterlot Palace proper was an amalgamation of discs, cantilever towers, bridges and spires all built and suspended off the side of the mountain. It was a marvel of equine engineering even to this day. It stood tall and proud, watching over Canterlot and all of Equestria.

It was...mostly flawless. It was built during an era when safety wasn’t nearly as important, or perhaps it was and the architect was so excited that she forgot to add safety railing to the plans. Celestia couldn’t quite remember which one of the two was the reason, but it was nothing a little barrier spell couldn’t fix. She continued up a set of golden stairs up to the throne room, but rather than continuing through the antechamber, she turned left into the throne room proper, quickly dropping her disguise and walking calmly, box in tow to her dais where Luna sat attempting to deal with some very uncooperative ponies. It was true, she had asked to Luna to fill in for her, but the pained expression her sister had forced her to intervene. She took her place and continued the day's proceedings. Fortunately for her court ended early, but you already knew that.

At long last, Celestia was free. She pulled her box from under the dais and walked out of the throne room. She turned left and walked out to a set of stairs that lead to a base of a tower. She walked through an archway and began her long ascent to her room.

Her hooves took her further and further up the spiral staircase. She reached a terrace which had a bridge that lead to an adjacent tower, but she continued higher on her set of stairs into a narrower spire set atop the tower she already climbed.

Ugh, I really must do something about all these stairs. This is getting ridiculous, she thought to herself. Eventually, Celestia reached her private chamber, casting a spell upon the double doors, undoing her security wards and letting herself in.

The room was spacious--far larger than what the diameter of the tower should be able to accommodate. She had a certain brown stallion to thank for that trick. The walls were painted a lovely sky blue with some dark blue scroll accents sprinkled in. Opposite the door was a large, gold-framed window which lead out to a balcony that held a view of the land below. Ponyville was clearly visible, along with Trotterdam, and if you looked really close you could see Baltimare at the far end of Equestria. On the left side of the room stood a fireplace with a roaring flame already going. The purple carpeting was covered by little other than some cushions to lie on along with a table and some bookshelves. There were other rooms with more furniture for the Princess. This one was more of a relaxed study or perhaps a lounge.

Celestia walked to one of the sets of cushions, positioned herself over them and then lay down, starting with her hind legs. She tucked them in and lowered her rump toward the floor and then slid her front legs forward, lowering herself to a prone position, keeping all 4 hooves firmly planted on the floor. Her pastel mane flowed gently in the solar wind along with her tail. Her wings ruffled a little, readjusting themselves after being tucked against her sides for so long. Her forelegs shifted around slightly to find the most comfortable position, and after that, she levitated the precious box toward her.

Before she began, however, a cloud of smoke began to materialize in front of her. It coiled itself into a sphere of smoke and emerald flame before solidifying into a scroll.

“Oh. a letter from Twilight!” she exclaimed as she noted the purple seal. She held the scroll up and broke the seal. A full read could wait, but a quick scan could come before her cake. She skimmed the letter to get the gist of the details. It seemed that Twilight had met a new friend. Her name was Sunflower. At the bottom of the page was a picture of the earth pony mare. She had a brown coat and auburn mane as well as a very appropriate sunflower cutie mark. A warm smile spread across her lips. She was so very proud of her little Twilight, but her pride for her student could wait. She set the letter down and turned her attention back to her cake.

Oh, how she anticipated the first bite. She hadn’t been this excited since she discovered her ability to control the sun so many centuries ago. She looked at the box in the same manner a hungry lion would stare at its prey. Yes, her excitement was almost palpable at the moment. It was probably enough to give a dozen changelings an experience beyond their wildest fantasies.


Oh dear...I just said that out loud, didn’t I? Well, at least nopony can hear me.


Unable to take it any longer, Celestia threw open the lid on the box to reveal one, singular, round pastry. It was small, about the size of a muffin. The cake was a pale yellow in color with a golden-brown crust on top and had a smooth, flat texture all over. Beside the cake was a small bag of cranberry sauce. She had seen this enough times to know how to prepare it. She pulled cake, sauce and all from the box, opened the bag and drizzled it onto the disposable plate right next to the cake.

Using her magic, she first cut the cake in half, then into quarters, and then cut a small chunk from one piece and swirled it around in the thin puddle of cranberry sauce. Once she was satisfied with the coating of the sugary stuff, she raised the chunk to her mouth and popped it inside and began to chew.

Celestia’s eyes shot wide open as she gasped, momentarily stupefied by the explosion of flavor in her mouth. She rolled the wondrous cake around in her mouth. It was soft and creamy and squashed at the slightest pressure, and the flavor...oh the flavor! The cake was perfectly sweet, causing pure bliss in the Princess’ mouth. There was an underlying taste--one vaguely hinting to a lemon flavor. The cranberry sauce added a bittersweet taste, balancing out the overall flavor of the cake and transforming it into the most amazing thing that Celestia had ever tasted. A smile began to split her lips, followed by an uncontrollable giggle.

The sheer bliss would have been enough to make any pegasus’ wings stand at attention for hours, but Celestia had more self-control than the average pegasus...to bad she wasn’t using it. Her plumages shot up and out to either side of her, but she hardly even noticed. She was too busy giggling manically while she popped another bite of cake into her mouth. Despite her lack of control, she didn’t plunge her face into the plate. No, things had ended with much awkwardness and many years of taunting the last time she did that. This time though, it wasn’t just her own restraint that stopped her from shoving the whole thing in her maw. Something about the cake made her take it slowly. This cake was...different than the others. The others were good, but this? This was divine! Now we are talking about a pony who is basically a goddess, so if she calls something divine, then it truly must be mind-blowingly amazing.

Celestia chewed slowly, savoring every bite. This cake was amazing. It was incredible! It was better than sex! Well, that last opinion may have been distorted. It had been a very long time since the Princess had engaged in any sort of intercourse. It was not due to her duties, but rather...well, it was hard to find a stallion--or mare--of her...stature. In fact, the last time there was a pony as tall as her she courted her and…*Ahem*



Celestia cleared her throat for some reason. Anyways, as I was saying she courted…*AHEM*


...


“Uh...wait...c-can you hear me?” I asked uncertainly.

“Yes, I can hear you perfectly.”

“But, but how?! and for how long?!”

“No more than a few minutes. I believe the first I heard from you was something about pleasuring changelings with my emotions, but I must ask this of you now; if you crossed the abstract plane, pierced the veil of this universe and permeated the cloud wall bordering Equestria then the least you could do is keep your narration on track.” Celestia looked scornfully right at me, but stopped as she considered what I was saying at this very moment. “That is an odd reaction to describe my face just after a scolding,” she said. Wait, hold on...she heard THAT?

“Gah! Uh, well y-yes, well I have to keep narrating for the readers-”

“Readers? Are these the ‘readers’ Twilight’s pink friend continuously speaks of?”

“Well, uh...yes? Uh, look I’d very much like to finish my story. I’m rather tired and my dictation software is starting to act up.”

“Dictation software?” A look of genuine confusion crossed her face, but only for a moment. “Nevermind. Just continue and then leave me alone”

“Uh, very well. Er, let’s see where was I...uh oh yes! She courted this mare-”

‘How about you skip over that?”

“fine, but I’m going to make the cake taste slightly less good.” Celestia made a pout but stayed silent. Eventually she turned back to her cake which was now almost completely gone. She felt mostly satiated now. It was surprising since it had been but a mere morsel, a tiny thing--likely smaller than your average gourmet dish. As she took a bite from the final remnants, she considered how the cake was not nearly as good as before. Granted, it was still far superior to any other cake she had had in the past, but it wasn’t quite the same as that first heavenly bite.


“I hate you right now.”

“Hey, you were the one who interrupted me.”


She took the final bite. This was it. After this it would all be gone. Celestia shed a single tear from her right eye. She reflected upon how incredible--enlightening, even-- the experience had been. She had just discovered a whole new avenue of taste. Surely there must be other types of cheesecake. A treat this good can’t possibly be relegated to just one flavor. Oh she would definitely be returning to see Eclair more often in that beautiful bakery. Oh, what a treat she had.

Celestia swallowed the remaining chunk of cake and wiped the crumbs off her muzzle with her magic, vaporising them harmlessly into the air. Curiously, she didn’t feel any sadness at having devoured such a beautiful treat. Rather she felt...complete, whole and satisfied. It was a rather peculiar feeling. She had always been left wanting more, but this time...this time was not like the others. She was content.

Celestia calmly returned the remnants back to the box, closed the lid and floated it off to the side. Fully satisfied now, she picked up Twilights letter and began to read.

Comments ( 4 )

May I make an unofficial sequel about how Luna discovers eggnog?

6175091

Go ahead, if you like.

“That is indeed its name. However, there’s only one I know of. She’s a gryphon.” the stallion raised an eyebrow. “I know, I know! I was hesitant to approach her myself, but the aroma from his bakery was simply intoxicating!

“Good day, ma’am. What can I help you with” she asked in a kind voice. Wow, that pony was right. There really was a gryphon her. Celestia shook off her momentary stupor and walked up to the counter.

here

her plumages shot up and out to either side of her, but she hardly even

Her

I mostly enjoyed the last part, where Celestia talked to the narrator, now that I have founded as an :rainbowlaugh: moment . Now, I would review this better but I am exhausted from reading from 6:00am to well 8:00pm today.

Login or register to comment