• ...
11
 115
 2,352

chapter 5 A Nightmare In the Woods

"Hmmm maybe if I... no, no, no, that won't do...what if...AUUURGH wrong, wrong, wrong! It's all wrong!" Rarity screamed in frustration as she tossed her sketches of new dresses to the floor. It was late and she knew she should get some sleep, however the events of the day would not leave her mind be and she desprately needed a distraction. Sadly her favorite past time wasn't providing its usual release.

"Of all the times to have a mental block, this is THE. WORST. POSSIBLE. TIME. Stupid Sam! How can a lady get any sleep knowing that, that.. human is alone with her best friend?" Rarity fumed. It was true, although she cared for all her friends deeply, she had the deepest connection with Fluttershy as they had known each other far longer than the others knew them.

"Ooooh I do hope she's alright. I mean really now! What was I thinking? Leaving her there all alone? How could I just leave her to the mercy of that beast?"Rarity said as she chastized herself.

"That's it!" she said with determination "I will sit here no longer! Though it disturbs me to go back, I have to help Fluttershy right now." she finished by punctuating her statment by pounding her hoof on the ground before going off to gather her gear. Five minutes later she was standing at the entrance to the Everfree forest.

"Alright, here I go.... right now..... this instant...ummm..." Rarity mumbled as she tried to go in but found that she couldn't seem to get her legs moving.

"Oh come now Rarity you were just here this morning! Just go in." she said trying in vain to will herself inside.

With a sigh she resigned. "It's no use. I just can't work up the courage to go in by myself." she said letting her head hang. She just couldn't go in all alone. Not in there, not that filthy terrifying place full of beasts and monsters.

"Beasts and monsters...BEASTS AND MONSTERS?!?!" Rarity yelled loudly, her head snapping to atention.

"A-a-and Fluttershy...SHE'S IN THERE ALL ALONE!!!" With newfound urgency coursing through her, she ran into the forest determined to find her friend.

"YES THAT'S RIGHT RARITY! YOU CANT AFFORD TO BE SCARED FLUTTERSHY NEEDS YOU!" she nearly screamed as she pushed herself to run faster. Ten minutes later, she still couldn't find the camp.

"(Huff huff)...Where...is (huff)...that..blasted (huff) camp?" She said, nearly out of breath from her long sprint. She clearly hadn't thought this through. The forest was so dense that even the small light from her lantern barely illuminated the area around her.

"I should have just woken Twilight and asked her to teleport me there." she said continuing on "Now I'm stuck here in this dreadful place. Can it possibly get any worse?" As luck would have it, yes it could. For just then Rarity heard a roar and a hiss coming from behind her. As she whipped around to discover the source she saw a pair of green slitted eyes peering in from the darkness, soon joined by another and another, until there were 6 pairs of eyes staring straight at her. As she backed away, one set of eyes began to grow close. Close enough for her to see what they belonged to. She came face to face with something that looked like a mid sized black cat. However after the waist instead of another pair of legs, there was a long almost serpent like tail. Rarity gasped as she realized what it was. There had been stories told of this creature.

It never hunts alone, they like to toy with their prey, and their speed is the stuff of legend, one of the Everfree's most deadly creature the Lindwyrm. Rarity quickly spun around and bolted as fast as she could, the lindwyrms giving chase, close enough that she could feel their hot breath. As she powered through the foliage desprately trying to run from the monsters, from behind her she could hear them make a noise almost like...laughter? They were laughing at her, at how slow she was to them and at the sound a icy chill ran through her body as the facts settled in.


'They're toying with me...I'm nowhere near fast enough to get away...I'm...going to die.' The thought pounded at her, trying to force her to go faster every part of herself screaming out in fear until, at long last she could go no further as she collapsed in a small clearing. The Lindwyrms stopped wanting to toy with their prey a bit more. Rarity crawled over to a small tree and looked back at her assailants, tears beginning to stream down her face.

'I'm going to die....I'm going to die...I'M GOING TO DIE!' her mind screamed as absolute fear and dread took hold of her. The Lindwyrms seemed to sense her fear and began to move closer. However as they drew near, the sound of a flute began to play forcing the Lindwyrms to stop dead in their tracks. Suddenly a loud crack roared out from behind Rarity's tree and one of the Lindwyrms was blown back with half of it's head blow off. The Lindwyrms jumped backwards in surprise as a certain yellow pegasus rushed to her friend.

"RARITY! Are you ok?" Fluttershy said while hugging her friend. Before she could answer Sam came out from behind the tree and was loading his long barreled weapon with a object that looked like the one they found earlier that day. Having regrouped, the Lindwyrms enraged at their comrades death, rushed forward to attack Sam, but he was more than ready. As the first one came near, Sam jammed his knife down into its skull then he shoved the open end of his barrel into the next ones mouth and with a deafening crack blew off its head. Next he flung the one he stabed into the next one, knocking it away then coming back and jamming the knife into the side of the next ones head.

As it died the momentum from both its lunge and the blow causing it to slide off the knife, which he quickly flipped while ducking to the right as he rammed the knife into the stomach of the next one as it leaped overhead, effectivey gutting it. Finally, he took out another shell and reloaded his barreled weapon and aimed it at the Lindwyrm, that was trapped under its dead friend and with one last deafening crack it was dead. Rarity couldnt belive her eyes. In the span of 15 seconds, six of the most terrible monsters ever to walk Equestria were dead and all thanks to him. Sam quickly slung his weapon over his shoulder and sheathed his knife and knelt down to Rarity.

"Are you ok?" he asked while removing his helmet. Rarity's eyes teared up in relief. She was safe she was going to live; She quickly hugged Sam tight only managing to say through her sobs, "Thank you." Sam then picked her up.

"Let's get you back to camp, you'll be safer there." As all three of them made their way back to camp, exhaustion overtook Rarity and she fell into a deep sleep.