• Published 22nd Jun 2015
  • 318 Views, 2 Comments

Rosemary's Malady - AngryPenguin



A diary has been found containing details of a plague that almost devoured the first three tribes before they could find peace.

  • ...
 2
 318

Day 5

Hello, again. I’m sorry if I’m writing slowly, tonight. I’ve been so busy helping father clear some of the snow from our field and tending to Grape and Mother. I’m so tired, Diary. I want to sleep, but I can’t. I’ve left home. I’ll tell you what’s happened today…


I yawned. This was going to be a long morning. My hooves were already sore from shoveling the excess snow from our field. The wind was so much worse than it had been. It stung my face, like hundreds of tiny daggers piercing the sensitive flesh around my cheeks and muzzle. I moved my scarf around my face, to help with the harsh gusts.

“How are you holding up, Rose?” Father called.

I shivered. “G-good. Just a little chilly!”

He scanned the white horizon and sighed, heavily. “It’s no use. We’ll be out here for hours and not have a thing to show for it.” He trotted over to me. “Let’s get back inside. Do you think you can make the herbal tea for your mother and sibling? Orange can help you.”

“Of course.”

We forced our way inside through the wind. Before Father closed the door, I looked up into the sky, and I could have sworn the Windigos were staring at me. Watching me. My eyes grew wide, as the door shut. They were truly evil beings! They took solace in our misery! I let out the breath I was holding and stared at the wooden door. This was their fault! They were making the disease worse! They were starving and freezing us to death! I had to hold back a scream as my rage built itself on that foundation.

“Whatever is the matter? You look so disturbed.” Father spoke up.

I shook my head in an attempt to rid myself of my angered expression. “I-it’s nothing!”

From the corner of my eye, I saw he was looking at me. The concern on his face matched my anger. I went over to the wood stove and began boiling the already-collected water. Since it was so cold, the water in our well had turned mostly to ice. We had to leave the slushy liquid over the stove almost all morning. Thankfully, it was almost boiling.

I rubbed my eyes. No mirror was needed to tell I had severe bags under them. Tossing and turning all night was taking its toll on me, and it was definitely slowing me down. Earth ponies are supposed to be able to withstand fatigue to a certain extent. The story my mother told me returned to my thoughts. What if I really was part unicorn? That would explain my exhaustion coming so easily.

“Rosie, what’s wrong?” I heard Orange’s voice behind me.

“Just thinking, is all.” I quickly faked a smile and added another small log to the fire under the stove.

He pulled a stool next to me and hopped onto it, placing his small hooves on the cabinet. “About?”

“Oh, just whether or not I’ll meet a handsome stallion.” I lied. It was actually the last thing on my mind.

“Gross!” He stuck out his tongue.

I chuckled. “You’ll meet the mare of your dreams, one day.”

“No! Fillies are yucky!” He scrunched his nose, making me laugh more.

“Care to help me?” I ruffled his mane.

He nodded.

“Alright, Get ready to sprinkle a small amount of herbs into the bowls. They are strong, so it doesn’t take much.” I instructed.

I carefully poured the scolding water in two bowls. One for Mother, and one for Grape. When the bubbles ceased, Orange added a pinch of herbs into each one. He, then, covered the bowls for the tea to steep.

“Alright. Now, we just wait a few minutes.” I told him.

Only moments passed before he let out a sigh. “This is so boring! I wish Grape could play with me.” His ears drooped.

“Soon, Orange. He needs to get well.” I felt bad for him. “Do you want me to tell you a story? Mother told me the same story, and she even said it was true!”

He gasped, excitedly. “Really? You can tell me the story?”

“Of course.”

He situated himself on the stool as I sat on my haunches and took a deep breath. “I’ll tell you the story of our origin. Almost a century ago, our great grandmother lived in this very house with her sister. She was still lonely, though, and wanted nothing more than be in the company of a special stallion.” I giggled at his interest, despite the fact that it was a love story. “None of the earth stallions in our tribe interested her, so she decided to venture out into the far away land of Unicornia.”

“Unicornia?!” He gasped. “But those lands are forbidden to us!”

“She was not bothered by that. In fact, she covered her forehead with decorative hats to hide her nonexistent horn. It worked for a short time. She did meet the stallion of her dreams: A unicorn. They were very much in love, and even married eventually! He didn’t even mind her being an earth pony, and kept her secret with him. Alas, she was discovered one fateful day.”

“How did the unicorns find out?!” He was at the edge of the stool, eyes wide.

I put a hoof to my chest, for a dramatic feel. “A strong gust of wind carried her hat away, revealing her forehead. A nearby guard saw, and informed the town of a fraud among them. Little did they know, she bore a foal.” I rubbed my belly to simulate being pregnant.

“W-what did they do to her, Rose?” He whimpered.

“She was captured, and thrown in jail. For days, she wondered what had become of her lover, until he snuck by the guards and rescued her from the horrible torture. Their reunion would not last, however, as she had to flee the unicorns’ land, or she would surely suffer a horrible fate! Her husband was devastated. The worst part, is he never knew of his unborn foal, only that she had left him sitting on a hill.”

“Did she come back?”

“Yes! She was here long enough to give birth, then, she left her baby in the care of her sister. She vowed she would return to her beloved husband.” I held my hoof outwards.

“Did she?”

I wore sadness. “She did not. She was caught by the earth pony tribe, and was to be put to death. But…” I said before he drooped again. “She managed to escape before they executed her. To this day, nopony knows what happened to our great grandmother, only that she disappeared without a trace.” I finished the story, uncovering the tea.

“What about her husband? What happened to him? Did the unicorns know they were married?” He stumbled over the questions.

“Who knows? I’m sure the unicorns did nothing to one of their own.” I told him.

“So we are… unicorns?!” He began to feel his forehead in search of a horn.

“Maybe, Orange. We’ll never know.” I smiled.

“That was a great story! I can’t wait to tell Grape when he wakes up!” He clopped his hooves.

“You know you aren’t supposed to be around him.” I scolded.

He blushed. “I know, but I wanted to make sure he was alright! I only peeked in the door a few times since last night. He’s been sleeping an awfully long time.”

I sighed. “He’s just resting. This sickness is probably taking its toll on him, as well.”

“Now, do you think you can carry this bowl to Father? Tell him it’s for Mother. I’ll give the other to Grape.” I set the bowl on a thick cloth, so it wouldn’t burn him, and balanced it on his back.

“I can do it! I’m a brave stallion, remember?” He saluted.

I saluted back, and stifled a laugh when he disappeared through the corridor.

With the bowl on my back, I carefully tiptoed upstairs. Upon opening the door, I spotted my little brother fast asleep under his wool blanket. I smiled. He looked so peaceful, but I had to wake him up for his tea. Trotting over, I held the tea in my hoof and shook him gently with my other.

“Grape, get up, darling, you need to drink this.” I whispered.

He didn’t move. He must have been so tired!

“Grape, sit up.” I whispered a little louder.

No response.

“Grape?”

I uncovered his head and placed my hoof on his forehead. He was so pale. So… cold.

“Grape Seed!” I dropped the bowl, spilling the hot liquid on the wooden floor.

I picked up his torso and held him close, putting an ear to his nose. He wasn’t breathing!

“No! No! You can’t be! Please, get up!” I shook him, again.

His body was limp in my forelegs. I started sobbing, loudly. My brother was dead. He was dead, and I could do nothing about it. “Father!” I screamed. Tears poured from my eyes, onto my legs. My body began to shake by itself. I screamed for Father between sobs. I could finally hear the pounding of hooves below me. I hugged his small body close to me. The welts were bigger and had spread all over him. I buried my head in his neck and wept. I didn’t care if I caught this damned disease!

The door flew open and my father galloped inside. “Rose! What hap-“ He froze when he saw Grape. Tears immediately began falling from his eyes.

“No… It can’t be!” He trotted to us and felt for his pulse. “Nothing…”

“Why couldn’t I go, instead?! Why?” I screamed at him. “He’s so young! Father, he can’t be gone!”

Father gently took my brother from me and held him for a moment, before setting him back onto the bed and carefully placing the blanket over him. He wiped his eyes. “My son. My beautiful son.” He wrapped his hooves around me and pulled me into him. We cried for several minutes. I didn’t know what else to do. I couldn’t bring him back. I couldn’t do anything. Just cry.

“Rose, I need you go downstairs and put your brother down for a nap. I’m going to Doctor Pine. I-I have to make burial arrangements. Be strong, darling. I know you can. Okay?” He sniffed and held my shoulders. I tried to speak, but only hiccupped through my tears. Instead, I nodded.

He sighed, wiping his eyes, again. “We must keep our hopes. If not, what else could we live for?”

Father trotted to the door and looked back at Grape one last time. I watched him hang his head and continue through. When the door closed, I looked to the outline of Grape under the blanket. I collapsed onto the bed and sobbed into the mattress.

“Grape, I’m so sorry. I should have left sooner for the plants. I could have helped find a cure! I’m so foolish! I’m so ignorant!” I said.

I remembered what Father had told me to do, so I kissed the blanket where his forehead was, and left him. A part of my wanted to stay so he didn’t feel lonely. It wasn’t fair. Not at all! Why was life so hard for us? What did my family do to deserve this?! We were only humble earth ponies, trying to make a decent life for ourselves. Chancellor Puddinghead would get an earful from me if I ever met her. This was too much!

Trotting into my room, I saw Orange had already fell asleep. I held back more tears as I listened for his breath. Fortunately, he was still alive. It was silly of me to think he would be… dead. He wasn’t sick. As I stroked his mane, I was lost in my own wonder. Why was this disease only affecting certain ponies? Why is it working so fast? But I mostly wondered… Why did it kill my brother?

“I’ll find those plants. I’ll bring them to Doctor Pine. You’ll see, I’ll find a way to make your life better, little one.” I kissed Orange and trotted back into the corridor. I sniffled, looking towards my parents’ room. I had might as well go and check on my mother. It would break her heart to tell her, but she deserved to know.

I closed my eyes as I arrived at their door. I took a deep breath and walked in. Peach slept on her small bedding, while my mother watched her from her bed. I was surprised to see her awake.

“Mother?” I said, softly.

She slowly turned her head and smiled. Her fur was patchy in some places, where the hairs were falling out. I closed the door and walked to her. The small table next to the bed held the empty bowl I had instructed Orange to bring her.

“Come here, my beautiful daughter.” She patted the bed next to her.

Doing as she said, I propped my hooves on the bed. “Do you need anything?”

“No, darling. You’ve done so much for your brothers and me. I’m so glad to have you here.” She coughed. “Where did your father run off?”

“H-he went to get Doctor Pine. Mother, there’s something I need to tell you.” My eyes welled up.

“Grape. I know.” She sighed, weakly.

“How did you know?” My voice cracked.

She held my hoof in hers. “I saw him.” She smiled through her own tears. “Rose, I saw him. He was so happy. He told me he was in a better place. He said he would see me soon.”

My eyes widened. “M-Mother, what are you saying?”

“I won’t be here for much… longer. It’s just a matter of time before-“

“No! I won’t lose you, too! I can’t, Mother! I need you! I-I’ll go find those herbs! We can find a cure!” I screamed.

She looked at me with sad eyes. “My dear, you are a strong, young mare. Haven’t I taught you anything? No matter what, you must have… hope. It doesn’t matter what is happening. You keep your hope. Keep your joy. Spread them to others, so that they will know they are not alone. Rose, I’ll soon have to join our precious Grape Seed. Do not have sorrow for me, I’ll always be there watching over you. If you feel lonely, remember I’ll be with you. I may not go today, or even tomorrow, but it will be soon. I just want you to be prepared. I know I am.”

“I can’t…” I wept.

I felt her hoof stroke my mane. “Yes, you can.”

Before I could cry again, I heard her start to sing. Her voice was still beautiful, even if she was too weak. I rested my head on my forelegs and listened to the familiar lullaby that, so many times, lulled me to sleep.

“Hush… now…
Quiet… now…
It’s time… to lay your sleepy head…”

I closed my eyes. She told me she would be dying, soon. She was only trying to warn me. Deep down, I knew it would happen. I was in denial. I denied the truth so much, I believed my own lies. I listened, intently, to the song. My eyes were burning from the tears that had dried, but I had, at last, stopped crying.

“It’s time to… go to bed…”

That night, I left my home. After everypony fell asleep, I gathered some of my things and a blanket and tiptoed out the door. I, of course, left a note. I told them I would be back, soon. I would do it. I would find those herbs and cure this horrid disease!
I closed the front door and looked up into the cloudy night. The Windigos were there. I knew they were. They were watching me. Judging me. Growling, I forced my hooves into a gallop. I didn’t know where I was going, only that I had to gather a little bit of information. I would find a place to sleep, first. Luckily, I came across an abandoned shed while running…


This shed is so dark and cold. I was lucky I could find a pile of old hay to rest. Even under the blanket, I can feel the cold chill of the night against my hide. I’ll have to bear it. Diary, I know I can do it. Mother told me to have hope! So, I will! In the morning, I’m going to Doctor Pine. I’ll casually ask her where she thinks the herbs are. I’ll play it off as curiosity. Nothing is going to stop me.

They are burying my brother, tomorrow. I couldn’t bear to watch them lower him into the cold ground. I still weep over the loss of somepony so young. He was so full of life, Diary. Why did he have to go? I just hope I can recover quickly. This pain. It’s so unbearable. It feels like my heart has been ripped from my chest. I’ve never experienced death of a loved one. I don’t know how to react. Diary, I’m going to need you more and more over the many moons to come. I know I can count on you. I’m starting to think my destiny has been chosen long after I received my mark.

Rose

Author's Note:

Hey guys! It's been a while! :twilightsheepish:

It has not been a good month for me. Really, I need a hero! :raritycry:
Anyway, I hope there aren't too many mistakes in this chapter. Haven't had my contacts so i'm forced to reading glasses. (Still can hardly see)
I hope you guys enjoy this chapter! As always, constructive criticism is welcome!
-AP

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment