• Published 22nd Jul 2016
  • 1,164 Views, 10 Comments

Golden Gloves and Big Red Buttons - AtlasAbove



Heavily influenced by Fighting Games from Pics2Fics

  • ...
2
 10
 1,164

Chapter 2

You see, children are born built in social order. It's a survival mechanism from the days of old. In school, during the first few days and weeks, they form groups and cliques to protect themselves. Now, naturally this applies to older people as well, but it's much less noticible in the work place. Smaller sample size. The groups themselves could be based on the smallest hobby or the most obvious physical trait. Athletes and jocks, preppy girls and nerds, delinquents and morons.

And here he is, stuck in the middle. It's a hard knock life so they say. Not strong enough to stand up to bullies. Not smart enough to fit in with the diligent and hard working kiss asses. Not attractive enough to just coast through life. The everypony's problem. Mediocrity runs rampant through the utter stagnation that is his high school career. He wakes up. He goes to school. He goes to work. He plays video games. He sleeps. Such is the tale of one Button Mash.

Where might he be now, you ask yourself? Face first on the ground eating dirt behind the school. Brick Top had his backpack and was casually emptying it into the puddle of mud that never seemed to dry up in the drizzly city. Gilded Feather stepped harder onto Button's back.

"You know Button, if you weren't such a candy ass this would be happening to you." Gilded put a little more weight on Button.

"Nothin' in here but books, Gilded." Brick Top mumbled to the pegasus.

"Not even a fucking cent to your name, huh? Really goes to show just how different ponies can be. In the end, all that matters is who you know and who you're related to. And all you've got is that tired old woman right? Dad couldn't even stand you so he left?"

Button just gritted his teeth.

"Like I said, this is your fault. You caused this. All you had to do was get that new chick to come here. How's that so fucking difficult, huh?"

Button hadn't even bothered looking for the transfer student. Large as she was, she lived in an enclosed space. No one spoke to her, no one came near her. It must be paradise, Button thought to himself. All three colts flinched at the sound of a rough snort and turned.

"Well, I'm here now. Who the fuck are you?" Babs asked, stepping out of the school door. This really was standard fare, she thought. Wimpy kid on the ground, arrogant asshole above, and the muscle watch over if the peasants got restless. Same shit, different century.

"Well, look who it is. Do you remember me?" Gilded sneered, desperate to take back control of the situation.

"Nope."

"You shoved me in the hall yesterday, you fucking retard."

"Then maybe don't get in the way when someone's walking. Retard." Babs said casual, picking at her nails.

Gilded ruffled a bit, obviously not used to someone talking down to him. He pointed at Babs Seed.

"Brick Top will you hit this bitch already?"

Brick Top swung his head from Gilded to Babs, somewhat nervous. The new girl was at least as big as he was, if not bigger. And, she didn't even look scared, Brick Top thought. She's just standing there.

"Dunno Gilded. Never hit a girl befo-"

Babs hit him square in the jaw. Brick Top decided he needed to sit down for a minute or two. Babs pointed at Gilded, who was slowing backing up. Button just sat. Watching.

"You ever fuckin' talk to me again, I'll make you eat your teeth. You get me, featherbrain?" Gilded bobbed his head. "You," Babs pointed at Button. "C'mere."


"You're the clerk I bought cigarettes from last night, yeah? Button Mash?"

The two of them sat inside a carriage headed to the stop near Button's house. Babs had paid and Button hadn't felt like stopping her. Not that he could. Button nodded even though it wasn't really a question. The mare in front of him was big. A full six inches taller and at least 50 pounds heavier. Button figured she had a lot of muscle under the jacket from how quickly she laid out Brick Top.

"Why are they fucking with you?"

Button just shook his head. How are you supposed to answer that? Admit that you can't fight back? That you're just a scrawny wimp that wants to be left alone? Fat chance.

"Fine, I didn't care anyways," Babs snorts and shakes her head. Her knuckles are still bruised from where she hit Brick Top. She blew her mane out of her eyes, and pulled her jacket tighter. Button sunk deeper into his hoodie. The carriage slowed to a stop as people piled on and off. It was raining again, cold drizzle that never really stopped in Manechester. Babs snorted again and looked Button directly in the eye.

"You 'nd me are gonna cut a deal. You bring me a pack of cigs in the morning before school. I'll make sure that asswipe never says another word to you, you understand?"

"Why?" Button didn't realize he'd asked until Babs nearly pushed him out of his seat.

"Because my fake I.D. got taken last night, you dweeb. You gonna do it or not?"


A godsend. A miracle. Button still had a stupid look on his face when his shift ended and he went home. Not a single person came into the shop. Tedious. Boring. Button hadn't even noticed. Half of his worldly problems, ended in the span of an hour and thirty minutes. Is this what it's like, Button wondered. Is this how easy life is for people with good fortune? The dark streets didn't feel so threatening, the the Manechester air so cold. Babs Seed was an unknown, but even an unknown was better than being stuck with Gilded Feather for the next two and a half years. Button turned the corner, stepping into his apartment building and out of the foggy night. Panel lights flickered, floor boards creaked, the elevator rumbled slowly. Home. The smell of old wood filled the aging building. Six floors up, four doors down. Split trim, peeling paint, plain carpeted floor.

Button stepped into the dark apartment. His mom was draped over the couch; back already from her second job. She hadn't even changed out of her work clothes. Button tossed his bag onto his bed and flicked on the bedroom light. Stepping back out into the living room, he picked the dishes up off the coffee table and put them in the sink. Walking back around, Button picked his mother up and carried her to her room.

"You know I'm trying, don't you Steel Shaper?" Quick Type mumbled in her sleep.

Button set her gently on the bed and pulled the sheets up.

"Things are going to get better soon." Button turned the light off and closed the door.

Comments ( 5 )

Hmm...I like it, though I think Button is getting ahead of himself at the end. Life isn't that nice Button...

Gilded messes with Babs or Button again and he'll have to change his name to Gelded.

Those guys are gonna lose some teeth.

Can't wait for more!!!

Is this still going or no

Login or register to comment