• Published 14th Jun 2016
  • 2,455 Views, 73 Comments

Spike the stallion - Wonder



Spike wants to be a pony again and Twilight wants to test a highly dangerous and possibly deadly spell. What could possibly go wrong?

  • ...
10
 73
 2,455

Idle thoughts

Spike looked around the area nervously. When Rarity had suggested to take in a walk in the park to calm their nerves he assumed it would be just an average walk but his expectations had been almost immediately smashed to pieces. What was meant to calm him only made him feel awkward and uncomfortable. Why was that? It may have had something to do with the fact that for some unknown reason, practically every couple in town was in the park on the date. That would have been fine if many of them weren't kissing. Who kisses in public?! Rarity either hadn't noticed, which he highly doubted, or she didn't care. She just kept on walking without a care in the world.

"Um Rarity. Maybe we should just call it a night." Spike suggested his discomfort evident in his tone.

"And miss out on a romantic night like this!? I thought this was meant to be a date." Rarity said with a faux gasp before grinning devilishly. "Just ignore the other couples. We're here to have fun, not to watch other ponies enjoy themselves." Rarity hummed a simple tune as she looked around the park.

"Sorry, it just feels a little weird, that's all. I'm not really too familiar with romance and stuff." Spike shrugged. As far as he was concerned, he was only an apprentice in the ways of love. Rarity was an adept. Compared to her he knew nothing about romance. If she said walking in a park full of couples was romantic, then who was he to argue. That didn't stop the situate from making him feel uncomfortable. It didn't help that he was slowly but surely getting more and more tired. He may have a body of a stallion now but apparently, Twilight's spell didn't give him the endurance of an adult. This is what he gets for waking up early to do chores. He silently promised to himself that he would sleep in till midday.

Rarity, unaware of the minor discomfort Spike felt, continued to glance at the ponies around them and wondering how they were able to be so open with their relationships. The park wasn't what Rarity would consider to be the ideal location for a date but Ponyville could only offer so much in the ways of romance. The most romantic thing to happen to her all year was today. In fact, this day might have been the most romantic date she had ever been on, which was a rather sad thing to admit. To think her, one of the top fashion designers of Equestria, being reduced to seeing milkshakes and pizza as a milestone in her romantic life.

The old her had aimed for relationships with highborn nobles which had unfortunately only ended in tragedy. She would never forget her horrid encounter with Blueblood. Since then she had learned how horrible some nobles could truly be. One mistake and you could be ridiculed and publicly shamed for life. No, it was much better to find someone normal. It may not help advance her social status but she was done with the upper class. Beside her she heard her companion yawn and thought to herself. 'Maybe normal wouldn't be so bad.' She turned to face Spike who was only mid-yawn and smiled.

"A little tired, are we? Surely you aren't bored of me already." She joked.

"Oh no, it's not that!" Spike's eyes shot open from half-mast as he stammered. "I had an early start this morning. I didn't mean to be rude. I'm honestly enjoying myself-"

"Darling, relax." Rarity went from a light chuckle to a loud chortle that some would say was unbecoming of a lady. "I'm only teasing you."

"Oh, r-right. Of course you were." Spike stuttered in embarrassment. "I'm sorry if I'm making this date a little weird."

"Nonsense, darling." Rarity replied almost immediately. "Despite the simplicity of it all this has been one of the best dates I have ever been on. Sure it may not have been as romantic, thrilling or dreamy as most of my books but I have had fun and that is what matters."

"So, are you having fun now?" Spike asked.

"I am having a marvelous time, darling." The two had reached a reasonably comfortable patch of grass away from most of the other ponies. Her fur was already covered in dirt from earlier so a quick rest on the ground couldn't hurt. She lowered herself to the ground and signaled for Spike to follow. He watched her for a few moments before following her example.

Rarity looked out across the park. From where they sat they could see all the other couples and everything they were doing. As Rarity watched them she couldn't help but feel jealous that others had such fulfilling relationships. It made her feel a little insecure about her own love life. She didn't know why but she soon found herself leaning into Spike's withers. The stallion didn't seem to mind but she did notice that his body did get slightly warmer. He did seem to become embarrassed rather easily but he was a good stallion, Better than some she had known.

Just in the last few hours he had shown many fine qualities that she found quite appealing. He was kind, caring and willing to keep her from harm. Despite his slight immaturity he was a true gentlepony at heart and even though it was their first date he genuinely seemed to like her. Sure it wasn't like something out of one of her books but it was romantic none the less. Certainly the best date she had been on so far and most definitely the best stallion she had met to date. Wait a moment. Was she falling for a pony she had only known for one day?

Slowly she tilted her head to get a closer look at his features. His jaw was rather sharp with is muzzle being flat like most stallions. His eyes were a beautiful shade of green that reminded her of rare emeralds she had once used in a dress for a client. His two toned hair shared a similar shade of green which despite her general dislike of the hair colour was well groomed and quite fetching. The only thing she found odd about his features were the two sharp fangs protruding from either side of his mouth. They reminded her of vamponies that she had read in some of her more... in depth stories. They weren't intimidating in the least, in fact she thought the fangs made Spike look more mature and a tiny bit mysterious.

She took a quick glance at his thighs noticing he had a small amount of muscle. It wasn't anything to brag about but it was definitely there. Her eyes followed the pattern of his muscles until they reached the image on his thigh. She still had no clue what his cutie mark represented but she assumed it had something to do with his job. What an odd cutie mark it was though. A sealed scroll surrounded by green fire? She couldn't think of any literal meaning whatsoever. It must have been metaphorical. Maybe his job was to dispose of sensitive documents.

She heard Spike cough and quickly turned her head back to face him, scared that he had caught her inspecting his body. Thankfully he didn't seem to notice her looking and was still looking across the park. He appeared to be deep in thought. She found herself wondered what he might be thinking about. Was he thinking about work? Maybe he was thinking about what he should do next for their date. She didn't know why but a small part of her hoped that he was thinking of her.

Strange. Why had she thought that? It didn't matter if he was thinking about her or not. She had admit it would be nice if someone was thinking about her once in a while. Rarity shook her head to get rid of the depressing thought. Curse her mind for thinking of such things. Was she really having those type of thoughts about a pony she had only known for one day? First she started talking to herself and now she can't even think straight. Actually what had happened to that little cynical voice in her head? Now would have been the perfect time to strike.

"Rarity, are you alright?" Spike spoke softly, jolting the older mare from her own thoughts. She found that he was now staring right into her eyes, a small blush on his cheeks. Why was he staring at her? It took her a few seconds to realize she was practically resting on top of him, her barrel pressing up against his, her muzzle lying gently on his withers. How long had she been leaning on him?!

"I-I am fine, darling. Just resting. Don't mind me." Why had she said that!? Rarity wanted to get off him but part of her fought the urge to move away from her source of warmth. She hardly even knew this stallion yet she was acting so casually around him. In fact she didn't even act this way when she was by herself. Sure she might use the occasional flirt to win over clients but to cuddle up to somepony was on a whole nother level of flirting. Although she had to admit the position she was in was rather comfortable. Maybe just a few more minute of this and then she'd move.

Spike seemed to accept her response and turned back towards the park. He felt a tingling in his chest that he usually felt when around Rarity but instead of having butterflies in his stomach it felt more like a pegasus was stirring up a storm in his chest. He must be doing something right for Rarity to be cuddling him but he had no idea what it was. Maybe being an adult was easier than he thought. He turned to Rarity who was resting on his shoulder with her eyes closed. She wasn't quite sleeping, she seemed to be in the grey area where relaxation and sleep meet. Rainbow Dash was apparently a master of that realm.

It wasn't uncomfortable for him in the least, in fact it made him all giddy inside, so he decided to simply let her be for the time being. If this is how dates usually went then he hoped this date would never end.

Author's Note:

This chapter, for some reason, was kinda tricky to write. I didn't want to rush anything but I didn't want to take thirty chapters either. I hope I did a good job but I'll let you be the judge. Hopefully it all went to plan.
Feel free to either praise or rebuke me. Either is fine.