• Published 14th Apr 2015
  • 8,779 Views, 1,437 Comments

Chrysalis Wins - Arkolo



Chrysalis's invasion is successful. The challenge of ruling begins...

  • ...
37
 1,437
 8,779

PreviousChapters Next
Ch.2 "Perfect Day" part 2

Chrysalis Wins

Ch. 2 “Perfect day” part 2

With a loud thud, Chrysalis landed back in the throne room. Several vanguard changelings flew in behind her, three of which carried the cocooned Luna. As the queen’s eyes peered around the room she noticed the imprisoned element bearers, and the sun princess. All of them were now hung from the ceiling. Her head sentinel, Vivisect, stood nearby and kept things orderly. This earned a nod of approval from the changeling queen.

Dozens of the largest sentinel changelings stood attentively in the Royal Hall. Their chitin was particularly thick, and gave the appearance of natural rugged armor. The horns of the sentinels were sharp like scimitars, which complemented their proportionally larger fangs.

Vivisect bowed deeply when she saw the queen arrive, the rest of the sentinels on duty followed suit. Chrysalis strode forward with slow deliberate steps.

“Rise my changelings. Now that the elements and princesses are secured, the guard and citizens are utterly leaderless. You may feed, but keep in mind I would heavily prefer your feasting to be exclusively on military targets. Hurting the non-combatants could lead to unnecessary issues. I will only permit to do so if they're being aggressive themselves. I will have additional instructions once I finish counseling with Colony.”

The room filled with chattered approval, many of the common drones immediately departed to run amok in the city. Several sentinels up and left, along with a good deal of the vanguard. Two of her underlings stepped forward. Both Shade and Vivisect bowed as they motioned towards the prisoners.

“My queen we wish to keep the prisoners secure while our brothers and sisters feed.”

Vivisect’s scratchy voice addressed their monarch.

“That’s why you are captain of the sentinels my little zealot. Though, I’m surprised you that you wish to guard as well, Shade?”

“I will have plenty of time to feed later, I wish nothing to spoil your victory my queen.”

“Very well, but I insist, that you at least feed from the element bearers while you guard, they were so full of positive emotions there is plenty left over. Now, where is Colony?”

“Here my queen!”

A changeling much shorter than either Shade or Vivisect stepped through the pair of grand doors. This shorter changeling bore the humble features of the drone class. Short wings, simple horn, and small frill for a mane. Colony made her way to the queen, and looked up to her leader, who stood twice as tall as the drone.

“What do you wish to tell the drones of the hive?”

“Our original plan was far more subtle than this, but as it is we must adapt. Though it would be much fun to vent our personal frustration at this pampered populace, we need to enact new long term plans. In other words let's maintain our discipline even though we're no longer hiding our true selves. We will not waste our new orchard with gluttony.”

“So you plan to limit the frivolity? I know we should plan to eventually keep the ponies in a stable state, but-”

Chrysalis interrupted Colony's almost pleading inquiry.

“All three of you know how rambunctious the swarm can be. There's too much potential for damage if we don't keep this carefully regulated. We need the ponies to continually generate love, and soon, since we're virtually guaranteed have more conflicts coming in the new future. As much as I'd like to let the swarm loose, it doesn’t mean we have an endless buffet, even for one day. I’d rather we not cause any permanent damage because of victorious indulgence and frivolity. Otherwise there would be no reason to move out of the Badlands.”

Every changeling that could hear that final statement visibly flinched. No changeling wanted to go back to the Badlands.

“Your caution is wise my queen. We'll cocoon only active combatants, as you mentioned, then work on getting the rest of the citizens calmed. I suppose excessive terror does taint the taste of raw love...”

Colony’s lips smacked at the thought. The queen’s hoof then pointed to Shade, and beckoned him over to the conversation.

“Shade you've been a long term infiltrator and socialite with these ponies, I know we didn't have time to wrinkle out the details before, what with the daily distractions we had in the Badlands. Now however, we have ample time. So, how well do you think the average ponies will adapt to our presence..”

The vanguard changeling cleared his throat and spoke his words carefully.

“Since we have taken all of their military power, they'll probably feel threatened for a while. If we show them that they'll be treated fairly, then ,with time, they will continue to generate relationships and love on their own. If we introduce a system to make our feeding seem normal, I don’t see why the transition shouldn’t be relatively smooth.”

Colony snorted with incredulity at his conclusion.

“Make our feeding seem normal to them? We still have to fight to gain ground in other cities. We do plan for the rest of Equestria after all. Not just Canterlot. These ponies are stubborn, and capturing their princesses won’t stop most of Equestria from trying to fight back!”

Shade turned to his fellow changeling with a smirk.

“The greatest challenge is over, the rest of Equestria will willingly cave soon. With their military down they'd struggle to organize themselves for battle, much less get themselves properly equipped. Take a moment to think Colony, the average pony doesn't think like the average changeling. The ponies would call our healthy paranoia of danger 'severely jaded and dysfunctional'. They would cry evening thinking about what the average changeling has had to endure. In other words, most of their populace word resort to almost anything other than fighting. The average pony doesn't want to die over a piece of dirt."

Shade walked over to the pods as he spoke of their new subjected population and gently rested a hoof on a pod, observing the pony inside. The vanguard's features creased with empathy, his behavior expressing familiarity.

"In a few years I think we could convince the ponies to be proud to have changeling rulers. Though shocking, we have proven to be more cunning and powerful than their princesses, and the only place we can go from here is up. Everypony wants strong leadership, even if they don’t say so. They will come to see you as a better protector than Celestia my queen. They will come to love you.”

That brought a sharp, toothy smile to Chrysalis’s countenance as she mused over the idea. Being feared and respected was good, and as much as she had hoped for from a pony populace. The confidence displayed by her vanguard's demeanor inspired greater ambitions. To be loved would be even better, especially for a changeling. Celestia’s strength would become a forgotten shadow in the wake of Chrysalis, once she was empowered by the nation’s love. She would have to be the champion of both the ponies and changelings for that to work though.

“I know we discussed the general contingencies should our original plan deviate. Now however, we need to address the specifics of the new situation. What feeding system should we implement that would not inspire fear and resentment from the ponies?”

Colony still seemed unsure and shifted uncomfortably on her holed hooves. Vivisect was utterly silent and unmoving. Shade simply shrugged when his fellow councilors struggled for an answer, and spoke up.

“Make it a regularly scheduled thing, at a common location. A designated ‘Changeling feeding center’ if you will. We don’t have to drain them to the point of discomfort. Also we can explain to them it will be their way of contributing to their changeling overseers, more or less like their taxes to their old princesses."

Shade tapped his chin in thought, before raising his hoof excitedly at a budding idea.

"Except ours is a love tax… hmm, actually I think we could give them a powerful incentive to do so. How about we offer to cut 'normal' taxes' by half for willing donors. You'd probably struggle to manage the volume of volunteers at that point. It's also something that would immediately win you some popularity points with the common folk, and loyalty incentives from the nobility.”

Chrysalis nodded appreciatively at Shade's suggestions, while balancing the agenda she had in mind.

“So my changelings would feed at a scheduled time and place. Hmm, cutting taxes on bits would help the ponies not feel cheated, if I am to gain their devotion. Besides, the raw power is as good as bits or better. My changelings won’t be allowed to feed outside of schedule if that is to work. Other than on prisoners, who will remain free game, I still believe the ponies should have examples of what happens when they don't control their hostility.”

The queen snapped her eyes towards the open windows, and saw hundreds of her soldiers as they merrily flew about. They caused some property damage and chased terrified victims. It seemed some of them already struggled to follow her 'suggestion' from earlier. She would have to lay down a new command. If this new plan was to have any credibility behind it, it would have to start now.

The queen’s jagged horn glowed with lime light, and her eyes gleamed with a white pulse. A wave of transparent power encompassed the city of Canterlot, and every changeling ceased what they were doing. Chrysalis’s telepathic words rang across the city, and entered the mind of all of her subjects with distinct clarity.

Cease feeding, but be sure to keep every pony inside the city. I will announce the intentions and basic ground rules of the new regime this evening.

Nervous chatter erupted all over Canterlot. What could this mean? The queen had told them to stop their chaotic feeding? It was undoubtedly her, only she could reach every mind that way. With resentment, the changeling army formed a perimeter around the city as they chattered among themselves.

Some ponies still ran around screamed, others paused at the sudden withdrawal, and wondered what caused their tormentors to suddenly stop.

Back in the Royal Throne Room, Chrysalis turned to Colony

“Spread the message to the drones, and make sure every pony in Canterlot hears this as well. There will be a mandatory meeting tonight at eight o'clock sharp, in the Gala Hall. All that can, will attend, without exception.”

“Is there anything else you desire my queen.”

Colony’s voice was rather high and chipper.

“Yes actually, send two drones up to Celestia’s chambers, specifically the bathing area. I’m going to make myself presentable for this meeting.”

“Right away my queen.”

The small drone bowed out and left the royal halls, and swiftly trotted down the regal red carpets.

---

Chrysalis strode down the halls, she knew where the sun princess’s personal chambers were. Celestia had personally invited her there while she was guised as Cadance. Navigation of the castle was easy and faster in her natural form. Strides with her own legs were roughly double that of her pink disguise.

Once she entered Celestia's chambers she heard a nervous rustle come from the closet. The muffled noise went deadly silent when the sound of Chrysalis’s hooves clopped in. The queen had already noticed however.

She smirked, and walked up to the closet to open it with her magic. On the other side of the door was a tan earth pony mare with dark brown mane, dressed in the attire of a cleaning maid. Her wide hazel eyes met the queen's. With a squeak of terror the staff pony ducked to the floor and covered her face with her hooves.

“Please don’t hurt me!”

The words were barely decipherable while the mare’s teeth chattered.

“I won't unless you give me a reason to. Anyway, you’re a cleaning pony are you not?”

Chrysalis giggled at the servant's nervous state.

“Y-y-yes.”

“Then get up, and help me get cleaned. Your new queen requires a good scrubbing.”

“Uh-uh-uh-uh-uh----“

The inane mumbles were interrupted as Chrysalis brought a hoof under the mare’s jaw and closed it shut.

“It’s not that hard to show me to the bath is it?”

The trembling earth pony slowly got to her hooves and started an agitated trot to the side rooms. She looked away from the changeling queen, and tried to ignore the fear inducing features.

“R-r-right t-this way.”

“Good, now, what is your name, cleaning pony.”

“P-Plain Thatch y-your majesty?”

“Well Ms. Thatch, I have two of my drones coming, they will assist you in cleaning me.”

“EeeEEEeeEEEE!”

“Stop your cowering, I wish to relax and that squealing does not help. You can put your fears to rest until the meeting tonight.”

“M-meeting?”

“Yes, and if you serve me well now, I’ll let you be one of my personal assistants. It’ll be helpful to have a pony that knows her way around.”

“T-the bath is right here.”

Plain Thatch gestured over to a giant golden bowl, which dominated the center of the bathroom. Several faucets surrounded the gloriously metallic basin, even the drain at the bottom was polished like it was ready for display.

“Do you like your water room temperature or hot?”

The stutter in Plain’s voice had come under control. The steadied earth pony slowly shifted over to the shelves, which lined the walls. Many ointment bottles were so overly elegant they reminded Chrysalis of Saddle Arabian hookah. Plain Thatch picked up a long blue vase and placed it at the edge of the tub.

“Make it extra hot, there’s some really old gunk in these holes that needs to be loosened.”

Plain’s eyes roamed over Chrysalis’s swiss cheese legs, and her muzzle scrunched in disgust. The tan pony pulled on the short levers of three faucets, and steamy water immediate began to fill the tub. The platinum stopper was shut, and Plain poured the contents of the blue vase over and into the water. There were a few minutes until the tub would be sufficiently full. So the brown maned mare tried to make some small talk.

“If you don’t mind me asking your majesty, how did you get holes in your legs?”

Chrysalis wore a devious smirk.

“I don’t mind at all.”

In partial answer to the question the queen extended one very long leg towards the curious pony. Plain’s hazel eyes looked straight into one of the larger holes. The inner lining of the holes appeared to be very waxy, and were coated with a thick layer of build up. Otherwise Chrysalis’s hairless skin held a dull luster on it’s surface, and appeared to be both tough and flexible.

“This is what happens when you live in the primitive conditions of the Badlands for too long. There are several parasites that love to eat away at chitin and flesh.”

“Parasites!”

Plain jumped back and shivered in fright again. Chrysalis continued as if she didn't notice.

“Yes, only newborns have wholesome hooves for a few days, before they’re plagued with them as well.”

“Oh, oh my.”

The tan pony’s mouth dropped into a full grimace. She generally avoided anything remotely creepy and crawly. Yet here she was presented with a job to delve right into that. The queen noticed the reaction and made a knowing smile. She generously decided to keep it clinical, instead of teasing obviously mortified pony.

“It won’t be an issue after a few weeks of sanitary living. Once I get these cleaned out I should heal up soon.”

The queen’s words shook Plain back to her senses, and she cringed as she looked back at the changeling’s appendages with a newfound horror.

“I’m just wondering how you’re standing, if I had holes like that in my legs I’d be in agony.”

“The parasites release a toxin that deadens the nerves. The damage would be permanent if not for our changeling constitution; we can regenerate lost limbs and such.”

“Huh, oh um the tub is full.”

The room was now quite steamy, so Plain Thatch moved over to the window and opened it to let in a mild breeze. Before another moment passed, Chrysalis hopped into giant tub. The deep part of the tub brought the water up to her jawline. It was definitely made for an equine of Celestia's stature, which the royal changeling so happened to be.

The water swirled as oily rainbows danced on it’s surface, and the queen let out a much relieved sigh. A warm sensation sizzled and surged over her mostly submerged form. She slowly twirled her hooves around through the hot steamy liquid, and could feel some of the waxy substance loosen already.

“When you’re done soaking your majesty, I'll help scrub, but I may need you to come a little closer to the shallow end.”

Plain went to rifle through the cabinetry and started to pull out brushes of various sizes. Just as Plain pulled out a rod brush she was startled by the appearance to two changeling drones. She dropped the brush and meeped. The two drones hissed and chuckled.

The queen grumbled out an order at the new arrivals, as the lids of her eyes drooped sleepily. Wallow as she did in the warm comfort of the bath.

“You two, pick up a brush and help. If this pony asks anything of you do it.”

“Absolutely anything?”

“Yes.”

One of the drones picked up a devious smile and licked its lips. Plain Thatch grimaced and picked up a bundle of brushes to try and hide her unnerved expression. She placed the arrangement of cleaning instruments on a tiled counter attached to the edge of the tub. She turned to her two new assistants and pointed a hoof at the arrangement.

“This one is used for cleaning out the deep gunk and mud, you can use this one.”

“Is that a back scratcher?”

The drone’s eyes widened in surprise when he was handed a large hook-like bristled spoon.

“Close enough, and you can use this one, It’s for polishing, go over everywhere with it and the skin should shine.”

The other drone accepted the tool and grabbed it in a green magical aura. Plain finished her instructions and picked up a brush with bristles so thick they resembled the teeth of a comb.

“And I’ll go through your mane and tail your majesty.”

Chrysalis shuffled over to a shallow shelf in the tub, so she was within easy reach of her attendants. The drones immediately went to work, her dark smooth skin was polished and the waxy holes were thoroughly scrubbed. Plain Thatch paused before she ran her brush through Chrysalis’s mane.

“Do the parasites eat at you mane too?”

“Unfortunately. As you will notice nearly all changelings are bald except for their neck fin. I’ve burnt more magic than I care to say in preserving what I have, but a queen must distinguish herself.”

“Of course, of course, hmm.”

The bristly brush was seized between Plain’s front hooves and methodically run through the queen’s chewed on and greasy mane. As the tan pony continued to brush she noticed a large fin, which ran down the back of Chrysalis’s neck, but it was folded down and well concealed within the mess of teal hair. She tilted her head in mild interest, but decided not to question her new monarch, and why she kept it concealed.

The scrub and brush work took nearly an hour alone. There were several pauses as Plain Thatch ordered the two drone assistants to fetch various bottles of soap and oil. Just as one crusted layer of filth broke free, another was revealed.

The pony sweated heavily, and the changelings panted from steamy condition they labored in. Thankfully progress made itself visible. The insides of Chrysalis’s hoof holes had turned a fleshy blue, her chitinous skin went from the dark black to a lighter grey, and her mane had it’s patchy spots smoothed over.

“There I think we’re ready to dry you off, if you would step onto the mat.”

The changeling queen opened one eye lazily, as they had closed throughout the pampering. She groaned in regret as she started to shift. A bath like this was an unaffordable luxury in the Badlands, only the idea that she could return to this again gave her the necessary motivation to move.

As Chrysalis stepped out of the tub she carefully shook each leg, to make sure water didn’t pool within her leg cavities. Several white towels we’re prepared before hoof, and the three servants wasted no time as they rubbed their giant leader down.

Once she was dry, Chrysalis whipped her long neck about experimentally. She felt her thoroughly washed mane flow through the air, and took a moment to caress her locks, which were finally free of matting.

“By the way your skin feels and reacts to the cleaning agents, I think we could finish you off with a good coating of hoof polish, your majesty.”

One last ointment was fished from the drawer. Plain held a bottle full of glossy clear liquid. After she and the two assistants applied it generously up and down Chrysalis’s body, the queen reflected light almost like a mirror.

“Whew, that was quite different from any of my previous work. I’ll take care of the tub your majesty, and you can go back to uh, whatever it is you have planned.”

“Ah yes, planning tonight’s gathering. I should get on that.”

“Speaking of night, I um noticed the sun hasn’t really moved since mid-day. And evening should already be here.”

Plain indicated towards a radial sun-shaped clock that hung on the far side of the bath chamber. The queen’s large eyes widened with worry when she heard the news. She would have to take care of that responsibility now wouldn’t she, or maybe arrange for another group to take care of it for her. A band of unicorns had raised the sun and moon before Celestia and Luna were around after all.

“You two, assist this Ms. Thatch with her cleaning, I have a sun to lower.”

The two drones bowed respectfully and turned to their new manager. The Changeling queen exited Celestia’s living space feeling refreshed, and weary at the same time. Today had expended much of her energy and she still wasn’t done, but she couldn’t be more satisfied with how it had gone.

---

She soon found herself at the observational balcony of the solar tower. She had witnessed Celestia lower the sun from this very position, she supposed she may as well use the same spot. It was right then that she realized she didn’t have a clue about how to do it.

Experimental tendrils of magic reached out towards a noon day sun, which hadn’t moved in nearly seven hours, and attempted to grab it. A grimace crossed her features as she found that she couldn’t grab the large flaming orb in a telekinetic spell, and simply shove it around. She fired a bolt of energy at it, and that didn’t do anything either.

She snapped her fang filled jaws in frustration, and growled at the defiantly bright sphere. A strange thought occurred to her, she almost disregarded it immediately as implausible, but none of the other methods had worked.

Her eyes stared directly into the sun’s hot rays, and her eye’s began to glow white, her horn glowed in it’s green aura and her mind reached out towards the heavenly body in an attempt to manipulate it.

The experience felt surreal to her as her consciousness wandered up into the void between the planet and the orb of radiant life. The sky disappeared from her vision and everything became only darkness and light.

This light apparently had a will of it’s own, and it resisted Chrysalis’s approach. Her mental suggestion to “get moving” seemed to offend it and it didn’t budge. The Changeling queen suddenly became aware of a physical condition on her body, but she couldn’t specify what it was.

She tried again, more politely. “Most powerful light of the sky, please rest, so that your subjects will appreciate you more by tomorrow.” The compliment seemed to work. The glorious light started to recede, and shifted its position to another path in the void. Once it started to roll, there wasn’t much else Chrysalis had to do, so her consciousness retreated back to her body.

“wooooOOOAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! IT BURNS!!!! CELESTIA!!! WHAT IN TARTARUS IS THIS!”

The proud changeling promptly collapsed to the floor and put her hooves on her agonized eyes. She rubbed at them furiously, but the friction only made it worse. Chrysalis cried out in pain and frustration. That’s when she noticed her horn felt off too. Severely blood shot eyes opened to look at the problem.

Her horn was on fire.

“bwAHHH!”

A quick attempt to smother the flames was made by her anxious and fidgety hooves. It stung like no other, but she managed to kill the flames. Her horn felt incredibly sensitive, as if it were freshly peeled of it's chitin. A soft breeze passed by and made her freeze up, she gasped at the sharp pulsating pain.

She was going to pay Celestia's pod a visit, maybe give her a few nightmares for good measure. Then ask why it hurt like lemons in the eyes to move that petulant lightbulb!

With haste she retreated inside, she was glad to note the sunlight had died down. With a sigh of exhaustion she grumbled, and felt discouraged from this hiccup.

“Tonight doesn’t need a moon, and if it’s anything like the sun I’ll wait to find out…”

Her voice echoed resentfully to the heavens. Stars started to appear, but no moon was found in the sky. Chrysalis moaned as she thought back to the meeting she had declared. It was within the hour, and she was in no condition to conduct any long seminars. This announcement would need to be brief.

“My queen what has happened? I couldn’t help but hear some distress from this location.”

It was Colony’s high pitched voice. The lead drone hovered just outside of balcony.

“Has news of the meeting spread?”

Chrysalis muttered with closed eyes, she didn’t bother to lift her head from the floor.

“To every ear in Canterlot my queen.”

“Good, I will be in the gala hall shortly. Tell Vivisect to keep things orderly, I’m in no mood to deal with any kind of rioting.”

“Right away my queen.”

Colony flew towards the royal throne room, and left Chrysalis to recompose herself in the Solar Tower.

Author's Note:

Notes update : 2/18/2021

Added the color illustrations #1,2 & 3 on 2/18/2021

I think I'll leave the old author's notes, I like to look at where I was next to where I am now.:pinkiegasp:

-old notes

Here, a sketch or two

PreviousChapters Next