• Published 11th Mar 2015
  • 1,500 Views, 30 Comments

Following Their Hoofsteps - Rated Ponystar



For many years, Equestria has been at peace with all six famous mares comfortable spreading friendship while raising their daughters. Yet, the forces of darkness are never one to sit still for long as a new evil erupts and causes devastation.

  • ...
24
 30
 1,500

Chapter 2

The first thing that Apple Streak said when they finally made it to the festival was that Aura’s parents had outdone themselves this year, and Aura had to agree. Not a single spot of Ponyville was left untouched by the festival and its participants. There was so much to do that none of the three girls could figure out what they wanted to do first. In the end, they decided to just walk around and enjoy whatever they could.

Their first trip was to get some lunch where Sugarcube Corner had merged with famous griffin chef, Gustave le Grand. Together, they had combined their dishes into a strange combination of both lunch and dessert. Such as string beans and fried rutabaga with a spoonful of tasty Mrs. Cake’s famous strawberry cream. Caesar salad with crushed cookies and chocolate chips. And even smoked salmon for the non-herbivores with baked potato and whipped cream on top.

The girls ate their fill and more, saying hello to some of their classmates and their families. That was until a food fight started courtesy of the Cake Twins. Pies and broccoli were thrown everywhere as ponies quickly took sides to join in on the fun. Even Glitterfly, who tried to stop it, ended up throwing a cupcake or two after getting her mane ruined by a stray bowl of ice cream. Eventually, some guards came to restore order, but many agreed it had been fun. Well, not for the parents of the Cake Twins who quickly told their children they were grounded after the festival, but they said it had been worth it.

After a cleaning up spell by a nearby Dinky Doo, who was hanging out with her mother and sister, the three sent out for their next activity. They made their way to the performance center where there were quite a few attractions each of the three fillies was drawn too. Glitterfly had been drawn to the latest fashion models of world famous designer Hoity Toity and his new star Coco Pommel. Glitterfly naturally greeted the two since they were associates of her mother, Rarity, and they talked about fashion, much to the annoyance of Apple Streak who asked Aura Nova to end her misery with a choking spell.

To make up for it, Apple Streak chose their next destination and it turned out to be Iron Will, now a martial arts teacher. Having learned from his past, he decided to teach ponies to defend themselves from bullies rather than become one themselves. Apple Streak, along with a few others, went up and learned a few moves although some ponies were surprised to see Apple Streak knock down one of the instructors with a technique her pegasus mother taught her. The real surprise, however, came when Iron Will asked Aura’s aunt, Maud Pie, to come up on stage for a demonstration.

Naturally, Iron Will had been thrown halfway across Ponyville with his assistants declaring an intermission. After allowing Aura to say hello to her Aunt, the three made their way to their final performer and Aura’s favorite: The Great and Powerful Trixie. Aura Nova, for once, wasn’t afraid to use her princess authority to grant her front row seats with her friends. The three had heard of Trixie many times from their mothers, specifically when she was an archenemy of theirs. While she was still a bit braggy, and loud, Trixie was definitely more noble than their parent’s stories made her out to be. Instead of outright challenging others to do better than her, she instead politely asked if anypony would like to see if Trixie could match their talents.

One by one ponies came up and Trixie matched them all from juggling to tap dancing. She eventually stopped to perform magic tricks that had the crowd dazzled with amazement. Aura had been on the edge of her seat with every stunt: the sawing in half, the sword in the box, the magic rings, every card trick possible, and the stories of Trixie vanquishing problem after problem in other towns. It was a dream come true for her, especially when Trixie shot small sparks of fireworks around the audience, but it turned out to be an illusions. Aura giggled at the sight of the fireworks dancing in front of her and tickling her nose, even though they weren’t real.

After the show, the gang realized they only had a little time left before they were needed for the ceremony so they decided to spend some time with some games. Nice friendly games...

***

“That’s a bunch of horseapples dipped in caramel sauce! That throw should have knocked them all down!” cried out Apple Streak, stomping her hooves down in a fury.

“Sorry, but you missed one,” the game dealer, a yellow flutter pony, said while pointing to the last remaining can on the pedestal. “You can try again for another three bits.”

“I already paid fifty to win this! Cut me some slack!” cried out Apple Streak. She turned to Aura who was cradling her yellow ducky plush with disbelief. “How did you get this on the first try?”

“Well, I just judge the weight of the ball, took into account the air resistance that comes with throwing, and analyzed the perfect weak spot by the structure of the stacked cans,” explained Aura with a pleased smirk. “Then I just used that information to come up with the right amount of power to throw it and I won.”

Apple Streak just stared at Aura for a bit before tilting her head. “Eh?”

“I used my brain, not my muscles,” replied Aura, rolling her eyes.

“Oh.”

Glitterfly walked over from her bean bag game, along with the rainbow colored hairclip she won, and shook her head, “We wasted enough bits to last a full month's allowance. We should be heading back for the ceremony.”

“Aw, but I wanted to try one more game! We said we were gonna try for cutie marks in game playing! You two got prizes already and I want to get something!” complained Apple Streak.

“I know the perfect reward for a blank flank!” cried out a voice. Apple Streak turned around only to get a pie thrown into her face. “Banana custard!”

Two sets of laughter echoed in Apple Streak’s ears as she shook off the pie and cream before growling at the two fillies she didn’t want to see today. The first, red furred earth pony, had three flowers for her cutie mark as well as those same flowers in her long blond mane. Her friend, right beside her, was also an earth pony, but brown furred with a black short mane that flared out and she had whistle as a cutie mark. Unlike the first one, who looked to be quite beautiful and elegant, the second had muscles and a cocky grin. “Flower Crown and Pennywhistle. I thought I tasted something rotten with that pie.”

“What do you two want? Can’t you just leave us alone today of all days?” asked Aura, who hid behind her plushie when they stared at her. “Please?”

“Why? Everypony else is greeting you three blanks flanks like you’re the queens of Equestria when its really your parents day. What did you three twerps do? Oh right! Nothing!” laughed Flower Crown while bumping hooves with Pennywhistle. “Seriously, what any great traits do you have?”

“Yeah, especially since,” Pennywhistle raised her hoof and pointed at Glitterfly, “one of them is a spineless doormat.”

“I’m not a doormat!” shouted Glitterfly, growling, but she soon shook her head and composed herself. “I just think its a waste of time to deal with you two rude mares.”

“Oh, and let’s not forget the moronic earth pony who wants to be a Wonderbolt,” said Flower Crown, flapping her forelegs while making a funny face. “Duh, I’m gonna use my hooves to fly ‘cause I got no brains to hold me down.”

“That’s it! I’m gonna buck your head off!” shouted Apple Streak, ready to rush forward, but Glitterfly caught her first. “Let me go!”

“No! No fighting! We’re not gonna let them get the best of us! We don’t need to solve this with violence and make things worse!” shouted Glitterfly. “Besides! We need to be on our best for our parents! Do you want to embarrass them like this?!” She nudged her head over to a crowd of ponies who were eying the commotion.”

“My moms would understand! Especially, when dealing with these jerks!”

“See, Penny? One’s a hothead and the other is spineless,” said Flower, smirking.

“Cutie Mark Crusaders? More like Cutie Mark Losers,” laughed Pennywhistle. “Don’t know what’s special about you besides being the children of your famous mothers. I happen to be one of the best athletes in Ponyville.”

“And I have won many beauty pageants,” said Flower, flicking her mane and tail.

“So what! We’re gonna find who we are together and we’re gonna be just like our parents!” said Aura, stepping forward in front of her friends. “So leave my friends alone!”

“Or what? You’re gonna turn us into toads? Oh, wait, you can’t. Because your magic sucks!” shouted Pennywhistle, pointing at a gulping Aura. “For somepony who happens to be the daughter of one of the most magical ponies in all of Equestria, you might as well have been born an earth pony. I can’t image how embarrassing it is that you are such a disappointment!”

Aura closed her eyes and winced at the accusations. A tear dripped from her eye before Glitterfly put her hoof on her shoulder. She looked up and saw a smile on her older friend’s face. “Don’t listen to them. You’re a smart filly and you were the one to come up with the idea of us being Crusaders like our aunts. You’re no disappointment to us.”

“Yeah, what princess said,” seconded Apple Streak, grinning and lightly punching Aura on the shoulder. “Don’t listen to these jerks. By the time you’re grown up, you’re gonna be known all over the world for your magic.”

“Ugh, this is so cheesy I could throw up,” complained Flower Crown, faking a gag. “Are you three done yet?”

“No, but you two are.”

The two bullies froze up when they heard that voice. Others who had been watching gasped at the new arrival and bowed. Aura Nova’s expression instantly changed to glee upon seeing who it was, as was Apple Streak’s who was finding the frightened faces of their tormentors an enjoyment. Glitterfly, however, turned red in the face as her eyes began to sparkle. “Prince Leon de Armor,” she whispered with admiration.

“Cousin Leon!” shouted Aura with joy upon seeing her favorite older cousin.

The first male alicorn in the history of Equestria glared at the two squirming ponies with his white wings flared out. “I suggest you two leave and enjoy the festivals somewhere else. Far away from my little cousins and her friends.”

“Y-yes your majesty!” they both said and quickly fled with their tails between their legs.

Sighing, Prince Leon smiled as his cousin rushed over to him and hugged his legs. “You okay, Aura?”

“Yup! Now that you’re here!” shouted Aura, giggling as she broke the hug and squatted down.

The prince grinned upon seeing this and squatted down too before shouting, “Sunshine! Sunshine! Ladybugs awake! Clap your hooves! And do a little shake!” They both went through the dance style their mothers had both invented before laughing and hugging each other once more.

“That is still the most cutest thing I’ve ever seen,” sighed a dreamy eyed Glitterfly.

“You only watch it for when Leon does the ‘do a little shake part’, right?” asked a grinning Apple Streak, earning her a smack on the head from Glitterfly.

Prince Leon turned to the others and smiled. “How are you ladies doing?”

“G-good, Prince L-L-Leon,” stuttered a blushing Glitterfly.

“Glitter, how many times do I have to tell you. Call me Leon, we’re friends after all,” he said with a shining smile.

“Right, sorry.”

“Anyway, I was asked to collect you three. It’s time for the ceremony to start and Mrs. Rarity was really freaking out about the costume designs,” said Leon, levitating Aura onto his back. “Follow me.” He started trotting forward while ponies bowed to him and Aura who waved back.

Glitterfly followed with hearts in her eyes while Apple Streak rolled hers at the sight. “You know he’s gay, right?”

“He’s not gay!” hissed Glitterfly, with a look that screamed “pain” for even suggesting such a thing. “He’s just a bit more feminine than most stallions.”

“The guy shampoos that mane of his six times, gets pedicures, loves fashion, and enjoys chick flicks. Either he’s gay, or his testosterone levels are lower then my Uncle Braeburn. And he’s gayer than any gay I know,” pointed Apple Streak. It didn’t help the fact he was bowing his head towards the guys more than the girls.

“It just shows that he’s sensitive and all! I will not hear anymore of this,” demanded Glitterfly, putting her nose in the air and walking further away from Apple Streak.

“And they say denial is the first stage...” whispered Apple Streak.

***

Naturally, the ceremony would be taking place at Town Hall which had grown twice as big since its founding years ago. A big stage had been set up with the banners of all the Elements and the National Flag of Equestria flying high in the wind. Flowers and banners of all colors were placed around the stage and over the purple curtains where the Elements and their daughters would be presented. Across the stage were hundreds of chairs and benches placed for family members and friends they had made throughout all their adventures. That didn’t mean that others weren’t allow to watch as thousands had gathered around the chairs to the point where goggles were being sold for others to see.

A special section was made for the other Princesses and Princes of both Equestria and the Crystal Empire to sit in. Normally, the children of the Elements would also be there, but their seats were empty this year. Princess Celestia rose from her seat and made for a microphone nearby. The place went completely quiet as a smiling Celestia spoke, “Greetings, one and all to this year’s Anniversary of the Elements. Where we gather to celebrate the achievements of Equestria’s greatest heroines for their bravery and dedication of the years to protect us and the harmony that which we believe in. I shall now introduce them by family.” Celestia smirked as she motioned towards a small orchestra that began to play. “First up, The Elements of Loyalty and Honesty. Captain of the Wonderbolts, Rainbow Dash, and Co-Owner of Sweet Apple Acres, Applejack Dash. And their daughter, Apple Streak Dash!”

The crowd cheered as the curtains revealed the first Element family, the loudest being Applejack’s many relatives and fans of the Wonderbolts. Rainbow Dash’s outfit looked white at first, but to the awe of the crowd it started to change colors while mixing into a perfect reflective rainbow light. She spread her wings and lifted herself up for a quick pose, showing off her golden lightning bolt earrings, shoes, and necklace. The golden item that shined the most was her winner’s crown from her first Youngest Fliers Competition where she performed and mastered the Sonic Rainboom.

Applejack, wearing her signature hat with a red velvet ribbon around the top, quickly pulled her praise hungry wife down back to earth. Her dress was green like the grass and decorated with red, green, and yellow apples of all kinds. To any normal pony, they looked the same, but each one was the type of apple for all the family members that were close to her both past and present. Like Rainbow Dash, she had a golden necklace with an apple.

Apple Streak’s dress was more like Dash’s, having the blue color scheme with red and orange glittering diamonds to represent her mother, but she had a similar hat like that of her mother’s only red in color. Her hooves were protected by her mother’s old boots from the only Grand Galloping Gala she ever went too, but had lightning bolts stitched in on it. Rarity and Apple Streak had argued for days about the clash of designs, but the stubborn filly refused to change it for the sake of honoring her mothers. Although, in truth, she and her parents would rather not wear a dress at all, but it was proper to do so.

“Next, our Elements of Generosity and Kindness. Famous fashion designer, Rarity Belle, and reformer of Discord, Fluttershy Belle. Along with their daughter, Glitterfly Belle.”

This time most of the high class nobility and animals who had attended cheered for the next two as the curtains rolled back. All three of them bowed and politely waved to their fans. Fluttershy, being who she was, allowed herself to fall back a bit to let her wife and daughter take more of the attention. Her dress had been the simplest of them all, a request Rarity couldn’t ignore from Fluttershy since one look of her begging eyes and the unicorn was easily turned. Her dress was green, naturally her favorite color, but decorated with flowers and light yellow ribbons. A crown of flowers decorated her head, and her golden necklace with a butterfly was around her neck.

Rarity had gone all out for her dress. Her blue and white dress was decorated with sapphires and amethysts along each seamline, as well as her cutie mark designed by diamonds. She had requested the finest crystals from the Empire to design her own clear crystal shoes, earrings, and tiara that she wore proudly on her head. She had based this design on Princess Platinum’s that she wore when her secret lover, Commander Hurricane, asked for her hoof in marriage. It had all fitted perfectly well with her golden necklace with the shape of a diamond.

While Glitterfly’s dress was mostly made by her mother, some of the sewing was done by Fluttershy who wanted to help make her daughter’s dress perfect. It was purple, to represent her mother’s mane, with pink at the helm line and decorated with various jewels. Stitched around those jewels were butterflies and birds. Glitterfly also had a necklace with a silver crystal in the middle that was a gift from Prince Leon on her last birthday, one he personally choose himself. Naturally, Glitterfly had channeled her shy mother that moment and ran into her room to hide under the covers, holding the necklace close to her heart.

“And finally, the Elements of Magic and Laughter. Princess Twilight Sparkle, Princess Pinkie Pie, and Princess Aura Nova!”

A blast of confetti went off from various hidden party cannons as the curtains opened up, revealing the newest royal family, earning the biggest and loudest cheer. To this day, many ponies still found it hard to say the word “Princess” with Pinkie Pie. Even though, by law, she was royalty through marriage, the party pony didn’t really use the title that much and seemed to think of it as an afterthought. She even went so far as to refuse a crown made for her, unless it was a birthday crown with candles on it. The only time she ever got involved in politics was when she had to plan parties and balls, or if Twilight needed her help with masoning projects. Living in a rock farm does have its advantages.

Naturally, Pinkie Pie’s dress had been pink and frilly with as many ribbons and buttons as could be put on it. She also had a pink sun hat with a violet flower and a small pink parasol placed on it for decoration. Mixed with her pink dress were yellow sunflowers from her hooves to her tail and the golden necklace with a balloon symbol.

The only ones dress that had stayed mostly the same was Twilight’s princess dress that she had worn to her coronation. She had insisted that she loved the dress and wanted to wear it, but eventually was convinced by Rarity to add a few changes. There was a lot more glitter in her dress and she had extended sleeves for her wings. Her golden shoes now held giant ruby’s in the center and her crown had an added set of wings by the star. Finally, she had a golden necklace along with a star on it.

Aura Nova had requested her dress to be like that of a mage’s, similar to her hero the Great and Powerful Trixie, but with enough representation for her parents. She wore a purple mage’s coat with magical runes that only the most advance of magic users would know about. Most of them were for protection, but also spoke of luck, love, and power. She had pink ribbons on her black shoes and wore a purple magician's hat that had the cutie marks of her mothers mixed together in the center.

With all six Elements, and their daughters, finally on stage the crowd roared and whistled in cheer before Celestia stepped back to allow Twilight to come forth. “Thank you, one and all for coming this year. As you know my friends and I... I... I...”

Everypony looked at the wide eyed Twilight in confusion as her voice trailed off, but upon seeing in the direction she was looking in above, they began to gasp. All the attention on the stage quickly turned to the sky as an army of dark clouds, crackling with thunder and swirling with green mist, slowly began to cover the town. Foals huddled up to their parents as a dark and cold chill began to make its way through the crowd.

Applejack turned to her wife and asked, “Dash! Did the weather patrol miss this?!”

“Hay no! Those aren’t even normal clouds! Even the Everfree Forest doesn’t have this. Something is off!”

“Rainbow Dash is right,” answered Twilight, glaring at the clouds. “Those clouds seem to be powered by dark magic. We need to-”

Before she could finish, the sound of explosions echoed in the air as dark fireballs rained down from the clouds. Ponies screamed as they fled in fear, the fireballs crashing into Ponyville and starting to set it ablaze one by one. The princesses and Shining Armor quickly summoned shields to protect the stage and nearby civilians from the death from above, but that wasn’t the only danger.

From the flames, tall figures holding weapons began to slowly walk out of flames. Everypony, including the Crystal Ponies, gasped upon seeing what they were. It was like looking at a minotaur with the head of a soulless pony with no eyes. There was no fur or skin, its entire body was made out of black crystal .

There was only one known figure in history who could do such dark magic. One figure who had long been declared dead. A gravestone even held his name that ponies often went to spit at and curse his evil soul.

And that figure was The Dark Tyrant.

Sombra.

Author's Note:

DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!