• Published 14th Oct 2015
  • 923 Views, 10 Comments

This Isn't In The Journal! - Baileyjrob



Dipper and Mabel go through the portal and find themselves trapped in Equestria.

  • ...
1
 10
 923

Chapter 1: Going in Blind

Silence. Silence resonated throughout the library: A nervous tension hung like death over the room as the two beings took the other in with fearful eyes. Thoughts raced through their minds as they struggled to comprehend the other. The unicorn's eyes danced over the intruder's strange body, failing to understand this beast she'd never seen the likes of. Dipper's too raced around, taking in all the details as his breath stayed. Unicorns existed in their world, that he knew, but this was the nightmare realm. He was wary of everything. The two stayed in silence for moments as the tension rippled and radiated through the air before it cracked with a snap. They both frantically pulled out books and began flipping through pages rapidly. Mabel focused on her brother's actions, but did nothing herself. Dipper flipped through the journal, looking for any notes on unicorns of the nightmare realm, and the unicorn herself rapidly flipped through books at blinding speeds, somehow understanding the words of pages that moved so fast they themselves could hardly be seen. They both dissolved into panic as their breathing picked up. Mabel walked over and put her hand on Dipper's back as he slammed the journal shut. Twilight followed suit, and they both spoke with panicked yells.

"THIS ISN'T IN THE JOURNAL!!"

"THIS ISN'T IN THE BOOKS!!" They both yelled simultaneously. Dipper gripped his head in frustration and panic and turned to Mabel.

"There's nothing in there about magical unicorns of the nightmare realm!" He gripped her shoulders fiercely. "I have no idea what to do!" Mabel chuckled and spoke whilst batting her hand.

"Aw Pshhhh," she sounded, getting more than a bit of her spit on Dipper's face, though he didn't notice through his panic. "I've dealt with these guys before. They're not actually magical. They can just play rave music, and be absolute je- WATCH OUT!" She yelled, pointing at something behind Dipper. He turned and yelped himself as both of the two dove to the ground as a chair sailed overhead and crashed against a wall. The two of them turned to see the wreckage of the chair and looked back at the unicorn, who was momentarily rubbing her forehead in annoyance. The twins slowly backed away as the unicorn did some sort of strange breathing ritual, wherein she lifted her hoof up to her head whilst inhaling and lowered it down and away from herself whilst exhaling. She repeated it a few more times before opening her eyes and glaring at them. Dipper and Mabel's faces contorted into one of fear.

"Alright," she said glaring at them. She looked them over once more, though this time, rather than fear, her eyes conveyed a feeling of anger with the slightest hint of academic curiosity. "Who- no... what are you two? Why are you here? Are you from the Everfree? Are you some monster?" Dipper and Mabel recoiled with each sentence, the beginning of which were always punctuated with a sharp entrance and each one stung them with fear. Dipper looked back in fear at his sister, but after seeing the equally fearful expression on his sister he knew what he had to do. He inhaled then exhaled, internally steeling himself. He took a step forward with a determined and defensive look. One that radiated the confidence that Dipper most certainly didn't feel. He would protect his sister though, and that would change for nothing.

"We could be asking you the same question," Dipper said, the confidence having made its way to his voice. He had hoped it would cause the unicorn to back down, but instead it only served to make her narrow her eyes.

"YOU'RE an intruder in MY home." Each pronoun she spoke she punctuated with a hoof pointed at the person in reference.

"This isn't your home, this is a public library. The sign told us," Dipper retaliated, determined to not back down to the unicorn. He didn't know what it wanted or what it was capable of, but he would make sure Mabel got out of this. He couldn't very well do that if the first creature he encountered took them out.

"It doubles as my home," she replied calmly while maintaining her glare. "It's closed during these hours." Dipper raised an eyebrow in confusion, wondering why the door wasn't locked in that case. "Now answer my questions."

Dipper groaned and rubbed his nose. Now that he was calmer and could think clearly, it was obvious that the unicorn wasn't intending to attack him unless he pulled something. Still, he didn't want to take any chances. He was ready to fight if necessary, but it'd be more beneficial to make allies. Especially if said ally knows the nightmare realm and has magical powers. On the flip side, that'd be an awful enemy to make. He'd (apparently) invaded her home and been openly hostile to her. He'd have to try to carefully repair the situation. First order of business would be answer her questions.

"Okay, okay," he ceded. "My name is Dipper Pines, and this is my twin sister Mabel." He gestured to the girl standing behind him before drawing his hands back after a wave and nervous smile from Mabel and a curt nod from the unicorn in response. "So... you asked what we are? Well... humans, I guess. I assume that's what you mean..."

"Humans?" The unicorn tilted her head. Her glare was still present, but it was being lost behind a look of curiosity and inquisitiveness. She seemed to be almost struggling to keep the look up, making Dipper question the authenticity of the glaring look, and the possibility of it being a facade. "Humans..." she repeated, "Is that what your species calls itself?" Dipper nodded, and the unicorn smiled brightly as a spark of excitement ignited in her eyes. "Humans! An entirely new species that I've never heard of! Maybe nopony has!" She quickly trotted in place in excitement with a little squee. Dipper and Mabel exchanged befuddled glances. "I could have discovered a new species! But you're clearly intelligent, so how could you have stayed away from public eye for so long, and why show yourself now? Oh! Maybe you're some strange breed of golem animated using some sort of near-organic fiber. Or maybe even organic tissue created by some sort of mad scientist. Oh, or maybe-" She stopped, realizing what she was doing. She coughed and cleared her throat, shaking her head a little before lowering her head back into its glare position again. Mabel nudged Dipper with a bright smile.

"Dipper! She's into nerd stuff too! You can be nerds together!" She gasped.

"Irrelevant," the unicorn said as Mabel continued smiling. The unicorn, having turned her gaze towards Mabel, turned it back to Dipper and continued. "What do you want here?" Dipper took a moment, considering how to answer. He didn't know what this creature knew, how she thought, what she wanted, or even how this world worked. He had no idea what would be the right thing to say. Honesty, he decided, was the best policy here. He would just have to hope.

"Safety and shelter," he said. She rolled her hoof, a gesture Dipper recognized as similar to a human saying to elaborate. "We got..." Dipper considered just how much to say, before deciding to somewhat forgo the truth. He'd do everything he could to not lie, but the whole truth wasn't necessary. "displaced." The unicorn continued its glare, looking over them once more as it searched them for any signs of falsehood. When they checked out, she raised her head once more and smiled softly.

"Well... okay then. I'm truly sorry for the... rude welcome," she said as she glanced over at the broken fragments of wood from the chair. "I'd never seen anypony like you before, and I was worried you might be some strange creature from the Everfree." A few questions about what she'd just said ran through Dipper's mind, but he chose to continue defusing the situation before getting curious.

"No problem. I imagine living in the nightmare realm will do that to people." Twilight raised an eyebrow at that statement. She too had questions, but like Dipper chose to hold off on them until everything was calmer... barely. She looked between the two siblings as an awkward silence hung in the air.

"Oh," she exclaimed, a thought coming to her head. "I haven't introduced myself. I am Twilight Sparkle." She heard a barely repressed laugh coming from the two, and after a quick glare they slowly became quiet. When it was done, she regained her smile. "I am of the species pony, subspecies unicorn. Though I'm sure you've heard of us."

"Nope!" Mabel spoke aloud out of nowhere. "I mean, we know about unicorns, but not ponies."

"We have ponies where we come from, but they're not sapient or... purple." Twilight stared in shock before facehoofing. Of course. They said they were displaced. They're from a far off land. Though how is it possible that there are ponies there that aren't sapient? Yet the unicorns are? That doesn't even make sense... I wonder if their culture considers unicorns as supreme. If that's the case, it would make sense then that they don't associate the two, and consider other ponies to be a lower form of intelligence than unicorns. To go so far as to say 'not sapient?' That's extreme to say the least. What's going on here... "Twilight?" Twilight was startled out of her thoughts by Dipper's voice. "You've been holding your hand-"

"HOOF!!" Mabel yelled into Dipper's ear, popping out of nowhere. He jumped in shock and pain and covered his ear with a groan.

"Yeah. Hoof. You've been holding your hoof to your chin-"

"MUZ-!" Mabel yelled, popping up before immediately having her mouth covered by Dipper's hand.

"Muzzle." Twilight nodded and simply explained she was thinking. Dipper nodded in understanding when she finished. Twilight looked outside and noticed the still hanging moon in the sky and sighed.

"It's getting late you two. We should head to bed. I'll get something for you guys to sleep on. Tomorrow I'll introduce you to my friends." Dipper appeared concerned, but before he could get a word out Mabel squeed.

"Oooh! Are they pony people like you?"

"Um... yes?"

"Yay!" Dipper chuckled as Mabel ranted to herself about what pony play things they were gonna do. He turned to Twilight.

"What if the other... ponies react similarly to you?" Twilight abashedly rubbed the back of her head as Mabel stopped talking to listen once more to the conversation. A light blush formed on her cheeks at the embarrassing reminder of her actions earlier that night... morning... whichever it was.

"Many will probably be scared of you. They may even flee. I wouldn't be worried though. I'll get the town to accept you two slowly, and I doubt anypony would attack you. If they do, I'll defend you." Mabel chuckled at that and Dipper rolled his eyes.

"How will you protect us? I mean, sure you can levitate chairs, but so what? Mabel took on three unicorn that were at least twice as big as you back home and destroyed them." Mabel chuckled and held up her fist and pointed at it.

"I made them bleed rainbows." Twilight stared, horrified at the two.

"Why would you make anypony bleed?"

"Because they were jerks and I needed their hair." The two stared at each other before Twilight decided to forget she heard that.

"They must have been weak mages. I assure you, I can protect you." Dipper gazed in contemplative thought as Mabel punched the air, apparently recreating her fight with the unicorns. Dipper sighed and looked once more at Twilight.

"Promise?" Twilight smiled and moved her hoof in an x across her chest before shoving it in her comically large eye.

"Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye." The twins looked on, incredibly confused at the display.

"You've got it wrong, silly," Mabel said with a laugh. "It's 'cross my heart and hope to die, stick a needle in my eye.'" Twilight gasped in horror.

"That's awful! Why would you say that?" The two groups looked at each other before Twilight groaned. "You know what? Nevermind. l'll just get you some sleeping arrangements." Soon the twins had a place to sleep, uncomfortable as it was, and Twilight had bid them good night. She laid up in her bed, awaiting sleep, as she thought about the events that had transpired. She was nervous about these... humans, and worried about how her friends would react. More than anything though, she was excited at the academic prospects this could grant and what she could learn. It was with a racing heart that she fell asleep, unknowing of what would happen the next day.

Author's Note:

The official first chapter is done! Whew. I hope to update this more frequently, but there's just so much crap going on in my life that I have a tough time occasionally. I got pissed off on Supremacy: 1914 followed by a loss on the final part of the semifinals in a Nine Men's Morris tournament at school and thus lost my extra credit that I was so incredibly close to. 3 weeks of training down the drain. I needed to take a break from all things happy after that.

Comments ( 6 )

I hope you can translate binary: 01000111 01110010 01100101 01100001 01110100 00100000 01101010 01101111 01100010 00100000 01101111 01101110 00100000 01110100 01101000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01100011 01101000 01100001 01110000 01110100 01100101 01110010 00101100 00100000 01110100 01101000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01110011 01110100 01101111 01110010 01111001 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110100 01100001 01101001 01101110 01101100 01111001 00100000 01100101 01101110 01110100 01100101 01110010 01110100 01100001 01101001 01101110 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110011 01100001 01111001 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01101100 01100101 01100001 01110011 01110100 00101110 :trollestia:

Well, well, well... THIS is certainly a fun turn of events! I'm VERY much looking forward to how this plays out. I suppose I have to wait for now though. Ah, well. The next chapter will come soon enough.

6578528 01010111 01101000 01111001 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100001 01101110 01101011 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00101110 00100000 01001001 00100000 01101000 01101111 01110000 01100101 00100000 01001001 00100000 01100011 01100001 01101110 00100000 01101000 01100001 01110110 01100101 00100000 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100011 01101000 01100001 01110000 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01100110 01101111 01101100 01101100 01101111 01110111 01110011 00100000 01100010 01100101 00100000 01101010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01100001 01110011 00100000 01100111 01101111 01101111 01100100 00101110

6578528 You said Great job on this chapter, this story is certainly entertaining to say the least.

Pinkie and Mabel, in Equestria.....reality will know fear.

Login or register to comment