• Published 31st Mar 2015
  • 2,441 Views, 35 Comments

Equestria's Other Monster - james_the_unicorn



Life in Equestria is not just castles and servants. James was a human not raised in a palace, but rather, in the wild. This is his story.

  • ...
7
 35
 2,441

My Guardian Alicorn

That night, I slept on the couch, because I insisted Fluttershy would take her bed that night. it was the least I could do, in return for all that she'd done for me already. Up until now she became my only friend, healed my wounds, and allowed me to live with her while I recovered fully. I could not believe just how quickly the events unraveled, but this was a wonderful turnaround for me. But things got much more interesting, even in my dreams. That night, I slowly slipped into my slumber and began to dream about the forest. Gazing into the sky and seeing the stars, as my fire would keep me warm. I was not alone, however. I noticed that there was an alicorn beside me, staring up with me. Her mane and tail were formed of the dark blue night with stars just as bright as they were in the sky. I thought I recognized her from somewhere, but I could not remember why.

"Greetings, James. Are your injuries recovering well?" she spoke with a strange tone, a little loud, but still gentle, almost motherly.

"Yes... thanks, but... who are you?"

She walked toward me and I saw that we were about the same height. "My name is Princess Luna. I am the one who raises the moon and stars in the night, and I am the one who watches over the dreams of everypony."

"And you are not afraid of me? Lots of ponies that saw me ran away, so why aren't you afraid?"

"That is because I have known you for two years, and I have watched over you all this time."

"Why would you-?"

Without allowing me to finish, I saw her sapphire eyes glow a bright white and everything in sight flashed, as we appeared in a room of a castle. At the very end of the room was a mirror, where I saw myself fall out of and hit myself on the head. The sight of that blow to the head made me cringe. "That must've hurt. Glad I don't remember that part." I then saw the princess walking into the room, and when she saw me knocked unconscious on the floor, she gasped and ran over to me. I saw her look over myself without any sign of fear. She then used magic to lift my body and carry it out the window into the woods. "That explains how I got there, but why?"

My question was put aside for now however, when the area flashed again and I saw myself earlier in my time in the forest. I watched as I saw myself try to communicate with the ponies, only to scare them away. I saw the cart they were pulling had lots of materials in them, and one of the bags fell out. I always assumed it was an accident, but when I watched carefully, it was covered with a blue aura and it levitated off of the cart. Looking around, I soon saw Luna in the distance, as she quickly placed a blade and a few other necessities into the bag. "All this time, I thought they were just accidents..."

The area flashed again to another scene. This was much more recently, when I began to start my camp fire, but instead, I cut my thumb. I saw myself turn away, but when I watched the fire, the same blue aura covered the firewood and ignited it. Then I looked into the sky and saw the princess flying over the area.

"... you were the one who watched over me all this time." the area flashed once more and I saw the campsite empty, and Princess Luna and I were standing face to face once again.

"I apologize for not revealing myself to you."

"It’s okay, I’m not upset... but I have one question... why did you bring me out to the forest?"

The princess lowered her head. "My sister adopted a son many years ago. I watched the pain, sorrow, and stress that she endured as she raised him. I did not wish to see her undergo more with another child. Instead, I made the mistake of bringing you to this place. I did not wish to stand idly by as you struggled to survive, so I began to watch over you and assist you from the shadows."

"You have a wonderful heart, princess. I’m thankful for everything that you have done for me."

She smiled at my words and nodded. "It is time you raised from your slumber, my child. It is almost morning, and your host, Fluttershy, will be happy to see you."

Then the dream faded to dark, as my eyes slowly opened to the first light of the morning. so many questions were answered, but new ones took root.

Comments ( 10 )

I am glad this story updated, a fine chapter if a bit on the short side. :eeyup:

Like this chapter, but I wouldn't mind a quicker update time. All in all it was good.

Yes, new questions do pop into mind, such as, if that's the mirror I think it is, why didn't he change into a pony when he got here?

Strange, but I'm sure you'll come up with something.

Great chapter btw. :twilightsmile:

6005748 sometimes, a short chapter has more meaning than an endless anecdote. don't worry, i don't usually make chapters that short, it's a rare occurrence.

6005880 i hope the content will make up for my periods of hiatus. sometimes i have writers' block and sometimes my schedule messes me up. i hope you can forgive me. i have other stories in progress if you'd like to read any as i continue to work on this one.:twilightsmile:

6005952
Oh, it wasn't a complaint, just an observation, feel free to make your chapters as long or short as you please.

Not bad, but...there's a few glaring errors in the story- grammar first and foremost. Also, some of your sentences are fragments; it's a bit of a challenge to the reader to have to read the chapter one little bit at a time. As for the grammar, I'd suggest getting a proof/pre-reader.

Hope this helped!

6009213 thank you for the feedback, but unfortuantely, my only editor did not do his job well, so not i don't have one to proofread and edit the story. :facehoof: i'm doing the best i can to fill his shoes, but naturally that is becoming a challenge, as you can see:ajsleepy:.

:rewriten comment:did abandon this story

This is a great side story to the monster of canterlot. I enjoy reading this very much

Login or register to comment