• Published 31st Mar 2015
  • 2,441 Views, 35 Comments

Equestria's Other Monster - james_the_unicorn



Life in Equestria is not just castles and servants. James was a human not raised in a palace, but rather, in the wild. This is his story.

  • ...
7
 35
 2,441

Getting Cleaned Up

I opened my eyes slowly and my vision was blurred. I was laying on something soft, as if I were lying on a cloud. Was I in heaven?

"... I watched over him for two years, because I didn’t want to see him killed..." who was that voice...?

"... Mean he was in the forest for two years, princess?" Fluttershy? Was that Fluttershy? My vision soon adjusted and I found myself in a bed with blankets over my body and bandages wrapped around my arm. Whoever the doctor was, I really need to thank them for their excellent job, and it already felt a little healed. My leg was still weak, but it was still working. Looking around, I noticed the room was well decorated and was someone's bedroom, though they were generous enough to share.

"... Prince Chris is already too much for my sister, so I had to hide him from her... I just wish I was more of a mother to him than a guard..." Who was that? Was it a human voice?

"... Don't worry about that, princess Luna; you just need to spend some quality time with him..." That was definitely Fluttershy's voice, so she probably had something to do with it. The door slowly opened and I saw the familiar pink mane start to peek through, and in a natural response, I swung the blankets over my head and averted my eyes.

"Good morning, James! How’s your arm and leg?"

"… They’re fine... give it a few days and my leg will be working again."

"U-Uh, why are you covering your head? I already saw you, there's no need to hide anymore..." she was right, she was not scared of me anymore, but I still didn't want her to see me.

"I-I.."

she walked over to the side of the bed and bit the corner of the blanket gently, tugged it off of my head, then took a good look at me. My face had some small scars and was patched with dirt, my hair was in locks with dirt laced in them, and my eyes fixed on hers. "s-sorry I don't look decent,"

"Oh, nonsense, you just need a little bath and that's all."

"Yeah, that sounds about right."

"Here, let's go get you cleaned up," she let me sit up, and then reached her head under my right arm, giving me some support.

"Thank you, Fluttershy, that's really kind of you."

She blushed a little and smiled. "you're welcome, James." she led me to the bathroom and I sat on the edge of the tub, getting ready to get my shirt off, but found that she was still standing there.

"Uh, can I have some privacy, please?"

"O-OH! I'm so sorry, I didn't realize you were not comfortable, I-I was just waiting to see if you needed any more help-"

"It’s fine, Fluttershy, you've done more than enough. Thank you."

She blushed and walked out.

I had my clothes set next to the door and was lying in the warm water, realizing just how relaxing a real bath was. What I did not realize was that while I was washing myself up, Fluttershy got my clothes and walked into town. She walked into the carousel boutique and talked to her friend Rarity.

"Um, excuse me, rarity?"

"Yes, Fluttershy? What can I do for you?"

"I, um, was wondering if you could help me with something... Can you fix up these clothes?" she showed the clothes in her bag and rarity turned a pale green from the sight. "Oh my word! Why are these clothes so dirty? And torn?"

"They, uh... are very old clothes."

"Wait, are these clothes Prince Chris's?" "Um... well..."

"I’ll have them in mint condition in a jiffy!" she went right away to her sewing machine without letting Fluttershy finish what she was saying. in almost half an hour, Rarity had finished fixing up the clothes and had them all in a beautiful box, as if it were to be sent to royalty and placed it in Fluttershy’s bag. "I hope the prince finds it to his liking!"

"I-I'm sure he will. Thank you, rarity" Fluttershy walked off without saying another word.

I soon realized my fingers and toes began to prune up, obviously showing that I was in there long enough, so I stepped out and grabbed a towel, wiping myself off quickly, trying not to put too much weight on my right leg. Once I was finished I went to grab my clothes I saw they were missing and I looked around for them. "... Fluttershy, where are my clothes?" there was no answer. "Fluttershy?" since she did not answer the second time, I limped over to the door and peeked out. She was nowhere to be seen and neither were my clothes. I started to wander the room and turned to see a figure in front of me. The surprise made me yelp, but I soon noticed that I was looking into a mirror, and I was seeing myself. My torso had a number of scars on it and I looked like I had not had a decent meal in days. I usually collected enough food to keep myself sustained, but I had the foolish tendency to offer some to the woodland animals that I came across. I couldn't allow myself to see these animals go without the food, considering I was on their territory. I couldn't bring myself to kill any animal either, but I knew my need for meat was crucial to my survival. The timber wolves were not real animals in my book, so I was able to fight them off all the time. Afterward, I would find their hunt and somehow manage to cook and eat whatever unfortunate creature they caught. That was the only way I could get any meat, because I couldn't kill any animal.

My thoughts were suddenly cut short when I heard Fluttershy come through the door to the room.

"O-oh! I-I'm sorry, was I interrupting something?"

"No, I was just looking for my clothes, and-"

"O-oh! I’m sorry, b-but you see... I-I had my friend Rarity fix them up for you..."

"You what?"

she reached into her bag and took out a box, decorated beautifully and held together with a bow.

"Are you sure that's for me? It looks like it's made for a prince, not something like me."

"w-well, you see..." she spoke so softly that I did not even notice as I gently opened the box and saw my olive green shorts and bright red shirt, both washed and sewn up, without a single tear or hole to be seen. "This is amazing...! I’ve never seen my clothes this good condition since I woke up under the Everfree shade.

"This... this is amazing...! Thank you, Fluttershy!"

she blushed lightly and looked away. "It-it’s not me you should be thanking... it's my friend Rarity who fixed them for you."

"But you're the one who took them to be fixed." I reached out and scratched her ear gently, then watched her smile and rub her head into my hand, enjoying the feeling. I continued to scratch her ear, for a while, until I realized I was still standing there in my towel. "U-uh... I should probably get dressed, now."

"O-oh! Okay! I’ll just wait out here..."

once she walked out of the room, I threw on my clothes and looked in the mirror, seeing my hair, face, and now my clothes cleaned up and looking more presentable, I felt a little more human than I've felt in years.

"y-you look great, James..."

"Thank you, Fluttershy... Thank you very much.

Author's Note:

Not to worry, your remaining questions will be answered in future chapters!