• Published 12th Feb 2015
  • 204 Views, 0 Comments

Tiger Tiger Side Stories - Triaxx2



Companion stories to Tiger Tiger

  • ...
 0
 204

Hearts and Hooves

“I hate this holiday.” Twilight groaned.

“Why?” Robert asked curiously. She raised an eyebrow.

“Why don't you have a special somepony? Somepony as special as you should have somepony to share the holiday with. When am I going to see grand foals?” she put her head in her hooves.

“Oh.” he shrugged. “All in your own time.”

“He says, with a special some... tiger of his own.” she replied.

“Who just so happens to be more than a thousand miles away.” he answered. “And before you ask, yes, we do have a holiday similar to this one.”

“I suppose it's another unpronounceable one isn't it?” Twilight asked.

“More so than most.” Robert nodded. “The principle is the same though.”

“Ah. Well, I guess somethings are universal.” she sighed groaned again. “I don't suppose you'd be my special somepony just to annoy my family would you?”

“I'd be delighted, but somehow I don't think Princess would take it very well.” Robert chuckled.

“No, I guess not.” she sighed, and turned back to her books. “I don't recall Celestia ever telling me that it's this much paperwork to be a princess.”

“I don't think she even notices anymore.” Robert shrugged. “She's had several centuries to train excellent clerks to do it for her.”

“Hmmm....” the thought began to percolate in Twilight's head as he stood and trotted softly out of the castle.

---

“Pinkie?” Robert called into Sugarcube Corner.

“Robert?” she called back.

“Where are you?”

“Inside silly.” she answered and suddenly was there. Robert decided not to question it.

“Good. I need your help.”

“What is it? More Parasprites? Buffalo on a rampage? Passels of pink party ponies?”

“A party.” he said quietly. Pinkie exploded. An instant later she was in his face.

“What kind of party?!” she asked and opened her mouth to begin listing off potential party options. He caught her lips just in time.

“A quiet, somber party. Hearts and Hooves day is in a few days as I am quite certain you are aware.” she nodded, lips stretching as her face moved up and down. “Good. Some of us are not looking forward to the holiday, simply because we do not have special someponies or those of us who do are separated from them.” she nodded slowly, and he let go.

“I don't know.” she confessed. “Quiet and somber isn't the kind of party I like to throw.”

“I fully understand.” Robert nodded. “But that's what I want. A quiet respite from the excessively lovey-dovey flaunted in your face holiday festivities.”

“Hmm... Okie Dokie Lokie.” she grinned. “I know just the thing.”

---

“Is this necessary?” Twilight asked, as she was led from the castle.

“Judging by your attitude, I'd say it is.” Robert replied, nodding her towards their destination. The Apple Family barn was not a place decked out in candles and bright red ribbons. Still, it wasn't entirely unadorned. Dark red streamers ran down the outsides, and within, lanterns hung, turned up as if to chase away shadows.

A dozen pegasi stood just inside the entrance, holding mugs of cider and talking about things. Twilight glanced among them and noticed they were all recent arrivals to Ponyville. Most of them she knew from the most recent counts, had moved from Cloudsdale, and all had been listed as single ponies. Of course whether that meant they were single, or if they'd just moved in as single, she wasn't quite sure. The report hadn't gone into that much depth about it and she hadn't had the opportunity to look further into it. Goldwing was in attendance, chatting quietly in the corner with Granny Smith, who's presence surprised Twilight somewhat. More surprising were the smattering of unicorns, and the large number of Earth Ponies. Of course, she wasn't surprised by the earth ponies, since she was aware they were among the founders, but she'd never seen quite so many in the company of others.

Pinkie was, of course, present for the party, and was... not quite her normal self. She slid, effortlessly amidst the guests. She moved almost gracefully in between guests, intruding only occasionally, and even then only to fill drinks or offer snacks and then she was gone. Just as any good hostess, and as a party pony, she bent her own inclinations to fit the party, and still found time to host a second one across town. That latter was something lost on Twilight until later, when she heard about the great party Pinkie threw, and realized it wasn't the one she had been present for.

There was, she discovered, no alcohol at the party. No one had even tried to sneak any in. Well, one had, but he'd had to be taken to the hospital. Pinkie was an adamant enforcer of the rules. Still there was plenty of regular cider, provided thanks to Granny Smith, or so Pinkie informed her. The food was typically top notch. And if the mood was perhaps too somber for anyone to believe it was a Pinkie party , that was the intention.

She found as she circulated the party, that no small number of the attendees did have somepony special, that they were separated from. Granny Smith spoke of her husband in glowing tones, calling him strong salt of the earth. Gold Wing had similar words for his late wife, though she was 'one of the feistiest.

The contingent of Pegasi were not all permanent residents. Some had come for temporary work, or to finish out weather internships ground side, before permanent station in Cloudsdale or in another city. Those that were permanent residents were standing separate from those who weren't, though close enough to talk with the others. Twilight found that curious, and made a note to ask Rainbow Dash later. Still she found a third group of ponies, this one mixed between the three races, and standing together, chatting idly. One of the unicorns noticed her.

“Twilight.” he nodded his head, and tipped his drink towards her. The others looked at her.

“Sorry, didn't mean to intrude.” she said.

“You're not. You're part of this little family whether you realize it or not.” One of the earth ponies said, to the nodding agreement of the rest of the group.

“What family is that?” Twilight asked.

“We've all got family in the guard.” one of the Pegasi smiled. “My wife is a courier. Her family has a long tradition in the guard.”

“That's where I met mine.” another of the unicorns nodded. “She wanted to stay in a few more years, get that next promotion before retiring, but I had all I could take after the changelings.” he shook his head.

“My husband has another year in his contract, then he wants to get out. Too much weird stuff going on lately.” nodded another earth pony. She looked at Twilight for a moment. “Not that I guess you need to be told, since I hear you've been at the center of most of it.”

“I know. It's been... something else. I never really understood what my brother meant. He always said that being in the guard was like being part of a family. I didn't really get that until I moved here and met the girls. Someone so close that you're family no matter what blood says.” Twilight smiled.

“Yeah, that's pretty much it.” the guard unicorn nodded, and a couple others echoed the sentiment. There was a throat clearing over the mike on the impromptu stage. Robert was up there, and he took a breath.

“I'm not going to make a speech. If I do that, I'll ramble off, or break down. So instead, I propose a toast.” he raised a glass in his paw. “To loved ones, those far away, those who have passed, and those we have yet to meet.” nothing but the sound of glasses raised met his toast. “May those far away come home safe. May those who have passed already be patient in their wait. May those yet to come be delivered without delay.”

The party did not end, so much as it faded away. Twilight found herself walking back to town with Gold-wing.

“So tell me, Princess...” he started.

“Please, call me Twilight.” she said.

“Sorry, old habits die hard. Tell me Twilight, why were you here?” he waved a wing back behind him to indicate the receding barn.

“I didn't want to spend another day being surrounded by...” she paused.

“Yeah. It's hard being a single on a day meant for couples.” Gold-wing nodded. “I remember some of what that's like.”

“The worst part, is I feel like I bring down every pony around me.” Twilight shook her head. “I don't want to be alone, it's just...”

“I was once given a piece of advice.” Gold wing said. “I never thought I'd be the older friend giving advice, but with age comes the ability to say screw the rules.” he grinned. “Be happy. If you're happy one way, don't let the world try and force you to be happy it's way.”

“Let me guess, you were single on Hearts and Hooves?” Twilight said.

“What? No, I was never single until my wife died. No, I broke some ponies nose with a beer mug because he made a comment about the grin on my face.” Gold wing laughed. “Best skirmisher I ever met, but he snored like an elephant.”

“That's terrible. Couldn't they fix him?” Twilight asked.

“Sure, but no one would let them. Seems he sounded worse beforehand.” he laughed until they reached the castle gates. “This appears to be your stop. Unless someone else has erected a gaudy crystal castle in town.”

“It's not THAT BAD.” Twilight hissed.

“I assure you that I have seen many things. And while this is no where near the worst of them, it stands out like a particularly sore thumb.” Gold wing chuckled. “In any case, I bid you good night Princess.” he stretched out one wing, swung the joint in front of himself, and bent his neck in a bow. Then he stood and walked off into the night.

Author's Note:

Canon. Since there's no indication of whether the holiday occurs during season 4, this one couldn't really be worked in anywhere without seeming forced.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment