• Published 5th May 2012
  • 3,391 Views, 98 Comments

I Dream to Fly - MrDynasty



Scootaloo has a dream, a dream most pegasus can do at an early age. A dream to fly.

  • ...
7
 98
 3,391

Rainbow on a Rainy Day

“Finding Rainbow Dash is hopeless! She’s probably in the clouds somewhere.”


Scootaloo stared at the clouds for a couple of seconds before looking back at her bandaged wing. She prodded the wing that she had fallen on earlier that morning; it seemed okay and possibly sturdy enough to come out of the bandages.


Scootaloo removed the bandage from her wing and stretched the feathered appendage as far to her side as possible. Both wings were sturdy and seemed to be in good condition. Scootaloo looked into the sky and scanned the area to see if she could find the cloud that was the closest to the ground.


She found one that was only about ten metres above the ground, unusually low for a cloud, but she couldn’t complain.


“I’ll never reach it from here… It’s still too high for my wings.”


Scootaloo looked around and found a tree that she could easily climb; it was the closest one to the cloud. She walked over to the tree and attempted to climb it. Climbing a tree was difficult for Scootaloo because of the bandage she had around her hoof; it hurt to try and grab onto things. Getting a good grip onto the tree, she hauled herself up, hanging onto the branches and wobbling constantly from the tree’s instability.


Five minutes after beginning her ascent into the tree, Scootaloo reached the top and was peeking out from the leaves at the top over to the cloud. She stretched out her wings and prepared to leap from the tree. Her concentration was completely focused on the cloud.


Getting ready to pounce, she flapped her wings frantically. “I can do this… I can do this! What would Rainbow Dash say?”


Scootaloo spent a minute trying to get a good balance on top of the tree; it was hard as the tree was really old, probably older than Ponyville in general. She was beginning to have second thoughts about trying this. Instead, she blocked those thoughts out and got back into position.


“Ready…. Three, two, one… NOW!”


With a sudden tightening of her muscles, Scootaloo leapt from the tree and started to slowly ascend towards the cloud. A few seconds after leaving the relative safety of the tree, the muscles in her wings started to burn with the exertion.


“C’mon!”


Scootaloo reached out her hooves as far as she could, desperately flailing her forelegs in an attempt to grab the cloud. Her wings ached and stopped working, they tucked themselves back in and Scootaloo came crashing into the ground.


She landed on her head and couldn’t move as she began to lose control of her body. She attempted to lift her hoof with limited success. She couldn’t concentrate and her body gave up on her, darkness started creeping over her eyesight, when suddenly a cyan pony’s head came out from above the cloud she was trying to reach.


Then… darkness.




Scootaloo felt her body being touched and moved around; it felt strange, like it wasn’t actually her body being touched. She could hear the faint sound of her name being called, as if somepony was yelling to her from a far distance. She then tried to open her eyes. Slowly, she regained her vision and saw that she was lying on the grass that she landed on, only to realise Rainbow Dash was there looking at her with a very worried expression.


“Scootaloo! Can you hear me?”


She tried to speak; instead, she breathed heavily producing only a sickening guttural sound. In order to respond to Rainbow Dash, she tried to nod her head.


“Okay good. Now, can you talk? Can you tell me what happened?” Rainbow began to slowly and very carefully move Scootaloo’s head, inspecting it thoroughly.


Scootaloo lifted her hoof and reached for Rainbow Dash, trying to grab her.


“Listen Squirt, we need to see how badly you’re hurt. Just hang on and stay awake while I check the back of your head, okay?”


Scootaloo replied with a nod and lowered her hoof.


Rainbow Dash lifted Scootaloo into a sitting position; the grass that had been under her head was stained a glistening crimson. Rainbow was barely able to stifle the gasp as the back of Scootaloo’s head came into view. Oh no, this is bad... this is really, really bad, she thought to herself while forcing a small smile to try not to panic the bleeding, broken filly sitting on the ground.


“I-It... It really doesn’t look that bad,” Rainbow quickly stuttered. She was trying to convince herself of this more than Scootaloo, while doing the best she could to hold back the tears that had begun to cloud her vision.


“Say something if you can feel this.” Rainbow lightly touched the back of Scootaloo’s head where the blood was matting down her mane.


Scootaloo cringed and let out a small squeak.


Rainbow walked around to Scootaloo’s front and held onto her head, looking into her eyes. Eyes that normally sparkled with life were now glazed and dull, seemingly staring into the far distance at nothing.


“Listen to me Squirt, I’m going to tuck my head under your arm and I need you to wrap it around my neck, then I’m going to try and haul you onto my back. Can you do that for me?”


Scootaloo lifted her arm and nodded. Still disorientated, she wobbled slightly as Rainbow let the filly go and slid her head under Scootaloo’s arm.


“Hold on tight, but don’t choke me okay?”


Scootaloo wrapped her arm around Rainbow’s neck and squeezed as hard as she could.


Rainbow wrapped her arm around Scootaloo and pulled her up onto her back. “Good, now wrap both your arms around my neck and hold on tight.”


Scootaloo did as she was asked.


“Squirt, I need you to stay awake for me, try as hard as you can to keep yourself awake okay?”


Scootaloo hugged Rainbow’s neck tighter in response.


Rainbow started to jog towards Ponyville, then turning into a gallop, then a run. In no time, Rainbow was galloping through Ponyville with Scootaloo on her back, running as fast as she could towards the nearest place she knew she could get help. Everypony who was outside stopped what they were doing and watched as Rainbow went running past, nearly in a panic.


Only a couple seconds later, Rainbow ended up at Twilight’s front door. “Twilight, open the door now! Scootaloo needs help and the hospital is too far away!”


A large amount of loud taps were heard from inside the library, almost as if somepony was galloping. The door flew open with a purple magical aura around it, Rainbow ran in with Scootaloo slowly drifting away on her back.


“Twilight, I need you to get a pillow or something, fast!”


Twilight was standing to the side of the entrance door when she started to trot over to a wooden cabinet. She pulled out a pillow and placed it in front of Rainbow Dash.


“Okay, Squirt…” She noticed Scootaloo was paying no attention, her half-lidded violet eyes staring at nothing in particular. She looked as if she could let go any second now. “Scootaloo! Listen to me!” Rainbow yelled, causing the filly to jump slightly. “I’m going to lower you down onto this pillow and I need you to lay your head on it. Can you do this?”


Scootaloo nodded.


Rainbow lowered her front legs, extending her hind legs, Scootaloo was trying to come down onto the pillow when she accidentally slipped. She grabbed Rainbow’s mane and pulled it as she fell. Rainbow cringed and gritted her teeth. Rainbow then lowered her head further, allowing Scootaloo to let go while being flat on the ground. She held Scootaloo’s head up and moved the pillow under her, then letting go. There were some strands of Rainbow’s mane on the floor.


Twilight trotted up to Rainbow and quickly inspected limp orange filly that had just been placed on the floor. “Rainbow what happe-”


“There isn’t any time Twilight! Get some sort of medical stuff, I don’t know, anything! Is Spike here? If he is, I’m going to send a letter to the paramedics; if not, I’m going to gallop to the hospital.”


Twilight nodded and yelled towards the bedroom upstairs, “Spike! Get down here, we need your help!” Then she galloped down into the basement to find the first-aid supplies.


Rainbow looked back down at Scootaloo. “Listen to me Squirt, you’ll be fine, don’t go unconscious, we need you awake okay? Scootaloo? Scootaloo! Wake up!”


Scootaloo’s head was shaken slightly by Rainbow’s hooves. She was beginning to lose consciousness.


“Scootaloo!!” Rainbow yelled, as the tears she had tried so hard to keep at bay began flowing freely down her face, making dark blue trails through her bright cyan coat.


Everything started to fall away again. Sounds began to muffle and her peripheral vision disappeared, giving everything the appearance of looking through a telescope. Scootaloo could feel her muscles giving up and her brain failing to cooperate with her. As the searing pain at the back of her head began to quickly subside, everything disappeared and the darkness took hold once again.