• Published 1st Feb 2015
  • 598 Views, 1 Comments

And Then There Was One - ElementalPony



How far will it take to make Twilight Sparkle fall into despair?

  • ...
2
 1
 598

And Then There Was One

“Ah knew it!” shouted Applejack. “Ah I knew we couldn’t trust that slippery snake Discord! After what happened with the elements of harmony it was only a manner of time before he was up to no good again!”

“Stop it!” cried Fluttershy. “Oh j-just stoooop it...” tears fell down her rosy cheeks. Surely all the rumors couldn’t true, how could Discord have betrayed her again?

”I agree with Fluttershy” said Twilight Sparkle. “Yelling isn’t going to get us anywhere. Once we get to Canterlot we’ll come up with a plan, but for now we need to stay calm.”

“CALM?!” demanded Rainbow Dash. “You want us to stay calm while Canterlot is being seized by Discord and his chaos magic?! Are you out of your mind?! As soon as this train pulls up to the station, I’m kicking some serious flank!”

“Now, now” cooed Rarity. “Surely one pegasus could not do to take an entire chaos god all on her own. You’ll need your friends darling, and a good plan too. We can’t just fight him head on.”

“Yea!” chimed Pinkie. “You’ll need all the help you can get! Because otherwise you’ll get captured, and then taken prisoner, and then left alone without your friends in a miserable pit for the rest of your days, or at least until you succumb to the chaos magic and then you’ll be set free as a slave. And you will never remember who you used to be, because the chaos magic will take hold of your mind, and you’ll forget your family, your friends, your dreams, and ambitions, and all you’ll want to do is make everypony miserable FOREVER!”

Everypony stared jaw dropped at Pinkie, except for Fluttershy who, slumped in a corner of the Ponyville Express, began to cry even more at the thought of losing all she held dear. After that no one spoke, but instead sat in quiet reflection.

---

After an hour of traveling it was Twilight who first noticed something was wrong. “Did it always take this long to travel to Canterlot?” she wondered. She closely studied the scenery and after a mile she realized something was terribly wrong. Wherever they were headed it was certainly not Canterlot, because they had been passing the same trees over and over again. She turned around to announce her discovery to her friends, only to realize that her friends were gone.

Confused she turned around again and stared out the window. The trees had become gelatin, and the ground was made of ice. The train tracks had disappeared and it seemed they were headed for nowhere. Then from the air, or the sky, she could not tell, came a godly voice who spoke unto her.

“I really thought you’d have figured it out sooner” and then HE giggled. “Whatever happened to princess Twilight Sparkle? I thought you were supposed to be smart or something...”

Twilight opened her mouth to retaliate, but then all before her melted into nothingness and as she screamed for help she simultaneously woke with a startle. It was only a dream. No, it wasn’t a dream; it was a memory, a recollection of the past.

How long ago, she could not remember, had she and her friends valiantly rode into Canterlot to try and stop Discord. How foolish they were to think they did not need a plan. They did not even make it as far as the outskirts of town before the train was seized, and they were all captured.

Twilight was imprisoned; they all were, in separate parts of the palace dungeons. What became of her friends she did not know, perhaps, she hoped, they had escaped without her and were plotting HIS demise. Perhaps they would no longer recognize her. Although Twilight did not think even she could recognize herself at this point, just a shell of a mare.

She had not succumbed to HIS chaos magic, but the dreams of her failure haunted her, reminding her of her grave mistake from so long ago. She was given sufficient nourishment to live, barely, and although she could walk, and although she could talk, she never felt like she was alive. She knew she could stop eating, and she knew she could give up, but her will was too strong, and she had suffered for too long. She would not die or succumb to the chaos. She knew eventually HE would decide what to do with her, and it was then, she imagined, her friends would begin their glorious revolution, but until then she would resist. Because she knew every moment she lived she defied HIS expectations, and she refused to indulge in HIS little games. HE wanted her to quit, to give up, to give in. That was HIS game, HIS goal to break her, but no matter how empty she felt inside, she could never be broken. As long as harmony still existed in her heart, chaos magic could not reign supreme, and so she had every reason to live on.

---

Days, months, perhaps even years passed. Then finally, while resting, she heard a click. She looked up, and saw Shining Armor, but no it was not Shining Armor it was only his body. The chaos magic had long since drained him of whoever her brother used to be. Now he was nothing but a living husk, his only purpose to serve his master. This was the fate all ponies would eventually fall. He did not recognize her. He only told her to come, as he opened her cell door, and warned her against any funny business.

Twilight was in no mood to defy. Her body was so emaciated and weak, and her magic was so drained, she could not resist even if she wanted to. She could only follow the evil that inhabited the husk of her brother. She swore that once she regained control she would kill the chaos that infected him, because how dare the magic of demons make a mockery of the once proud and righteous guard. She knew that by killing the magic she would in turn be killing her brother, no, her brothers body, because her brother had died long ago, but it would be a mercy killing done out of respect for the real Shining Armor.

It guided her through the ever-familiar path to the throne room. The day of reckoning had finally come. Twilight could do nothing to stop whatever HE planned to do to her, but she was at least looking forward to the smug grin on her face, as HE realized she won, that HE could not defeat her.

They approached the door, and it opened with magic. Inside HE sat, waiting, on Celestia’s throne. The two sisters were placed on either side petrified in stone. Twilight remembered though they could not move, but they could hear every word HE said, and every word she said. The room was uncharacteristically tidy. Shining Armor’s husk pushed her inside before it exited shutting the door behind her.

“Welcome Twilight Sparkle.” said Discord gleefully. “I’ve so been looking forward to this day!”

“Why?” asked Twilight, “You think locking me up for months on end is gonna make me change? Did you really think I’d succumb to your chaos control? Well it’s NEVER going to happen! Do what you will, but I will always stand strong against you!”

“HA!” he laughed. “Is that what you think? You really think I thought you thought I would think to try and break the princess Twilight Sparkle? I never expected you to give up, and I’d have been disappointed if you did. I guess that explains why you chose to stay alive all this time...”

“Wait?” said Twilight unexpectedly. “What are you talking about?!”

“I know you” said Discord. “You are Twilight Sparkle, element of magic, alicorn princess. You’ve fought off the forces of evil more than I can count with my claws, wait...” Discord magicked his left hand to contain an infinite amount of claws. “Nevermind. The point is that I knew I couldn’t break you, and that was never my goal. I could have petrified you like your pony princess’, but I had another idea in mind.

“I separated you from your friends, and then separated your friends from each other. Eventually one by one they gave into the chaos, and they resisted, oh how they resisted, but their hearts were not in it, and they eventually cracked. Pinkie Pie was the first to go, being drove into utter misery. How could she smile, when there was nopony around her to smile with her? Rarity was next, after the chaos magic persuaded her she would become the most famous and well liked pony in all of Equestria if she let the despair into her heart. Applejack fell third, after being convinced profusely that you lied to her. You promised you’d help her find a way to defeat me, but as you can see that plan never came to fruition. Rainbow Dash submitted next, feeling betrayed that her friends were no longer there for her. She eventually swore she didn’t care what happened to anypony else anymore, she just needed to get out, to be able to fly and soar in the sky. Naturally Fluttershy was last. The kindest and most forgiving of all you ponies, I have to admit I was a little sad to see her go. However, rest assured she serves me well, making over ponies just as miserable as I’ve made her.”

Twilight couldn’t believe what she was hearing. How could she have been so wrong? Everything that had led up to this moment came crashing down before her, but then he went on.

“Though I waste my breath, because surely you must already know this. I do recall the visions?”

Then at once the memories flooded back. She remembered the visions, when she saw her friends quite vividly at the points they were most low, when they renounced the teachings of friendship they had advocated for years. When they begged for mercy, scared, and ragged, to be accepted by the chaos lord. Twilight, however, had shoved them off at bad dreams, assuming she had only been imagining the worst. With time the memories faded, or perhaps it was due to the nature of the chaos magic. "What a cruel and heartless magic" she thought, to simultaneously remind her and make her forget the suffering of her friends.

“No...” she whimpered. A single tear ran down her cheek.

“Yes my dear.” Discord said softly. “All those visions were real.”

“NO! NO! NO! NO!” Twilight screamed. She threw her head the ground and covered her ears with her hooves, but it was no use because she could hear the voice inside her head.

“You saw them because they wanted you to. In their final moments, before they gave in, all their thoughts came back to you. It was Twilight who led them to their demise; because it was Twilight who taught them that friendship was a magic that could overcome chaos, and it was Twilight’s fault they were all so miserable, if was all your fault that they were trapped in lonely small dirty disgusting cells...”

“LIES!” roared Twilight. “IT’S YOUR FAULT! THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT! “ The hysterical mare stared at Discord, far beyond the realm of rational thought.

“Perhaps.” replied Discord, “but it was only a matter of time till they came to the conclusion it was you. You see, they knew their mission was a failure before it even began. No one could stop me, not even your precious princess’. Speaking of...” he glared at the statues of Celestia and Luna, “Don’t they just make the most wonderful decorations?”

Discord snapped his claws so now the stone Celestia was dressed like a clown, while the stone Luna wore a mismatch of clothes that included a visor, rubber duck inner tube, and oversized glasses.

With the mockery of the princess, combined with overwhelming feelings of emotional betrayal, Twilight let out a guttural roar that echoed throughout the entire chamber. It caused such a clamor, and was so bestial in nature, even Discord, for a moment, was startled. However, as emotionally charged as Twilight was, she was also physically exhausted. So when she collapsed to the floor of the throne room with a thud she realized It was over and HE had won.

Discord poofed over from his throne to in front of the limp body of Twilight Sparkle.

“Now, now, my little pony, no need to be so despondent. Perhaps you are weak, perhaps your mentors have gone, and perhaps all your friends have forsaken you. However, there is one more matter to take care of. I would be happy to let you rot in a cell, but seeing as how I can no longer emotionally hurt you, and it’s really a waste of resources to keep you there anyway, I want to give you a choice.”

Twilight could only half understand what was going on, but she couldn’t move, or talk, all she could do was listen.

“The chaos magic takes hold of those who have given up hope, and are driven to despair. If you let it, it will seep into you, slowly betraying your mind and emotions. It’s tendrils will trickle down into your subconscious, taking hold and convincing you everything you had ever know was a lie. As you feed into the deception the magic becomes stronger until eventually it takes over, and the pony you used to be simply vanishes. In short, your body becomes a lifeless being that only serves to follow the will of its master, and that master is me.

“However, there are many ponies who have willingly accepted the chaos, some who even embraced it. Thus, because they come into the chaos all on their own, they are able to control it while maintaining their normal state of mind. There are many powerful ponies who have become subservient to me, because their power stems from their own ability to manipulate the chaos magic. The magic on it’s own isn’t inherently powerful; it’s the way in which one uses it. That is why it’s preferential to most to embrace the chaos, because they can still live in their own little worlds, while also believing they have purpose all the same.

“Right now you are at an emotional low. If I so willed it the chaos magic could take over your body and the Twilight Sparkle we know would cease to exist. Or, if you choose, you can embrace the magic and train yourself to manipulate the chaos around you. I would, of course, be your personal mentor. The choice is yours Twilight Sparkle. Choose wisely.”

Discord snapped his claw and was lying back on his throne. He snapped his claw again and five ponies appeared around him. Fluttershy flying up on the right was fanning him with a giant leaf. Rainbow Dash, flying up on the left was holding a platter and feeding him grapes one by one. Rarity and Applejack were at his feet giving him a foot massage, and Pinkie was in front on him, juggling rubber chickens on a unicycle, while dressed like a turkey. Twilight noticed how their pupils had faded, and their lives had gone. Those weren’t her friends; those were her friends’ bodies. It was a cruel and sadistic sight, but nothing surprised her anymore.

She tried to focus on what he had said, because she had only heard bits and pieces. From what she gathered the options were to become Discords mindless slave, or to become his apprentice. She loathed either choice, but she knew what she had to do. “At least,” she thought, “If I stay conscious, and if I can think clearly, I can plan my revenge. I might despise myself, and detest the things I have to do, but at least there would still be a chance, there could still hope. If she was a slave she could do nothing, but if she if she was a subordinate, she could maybe do something.

She couldn’t get up, so she simply enunciated, the best she could, with a hoarse whimper,

“I-I choose...” Twilight coughed, and then spoke again. “I choose t-to embrace the c-chaos, and I h-hope, Lord Discord, you’ll have m-mercy on me.” Twilight could no longer vocalize her thoughts, and again fell into an exhaustive despair. Though her plea seemed to please Discord because he replied,

“I see you’ve made a wise decision.” HE snapped his claws and the other ponies were gone. Then HE snapped his fingers again, and a restorative light appeared around Twilight. She could feel the cold warmth of the chaos magic as it filled her with newfound energy and strength. In only moments she stood, and she was healed as if she was never injured to begin with. However, something was different. She was still of sound mind and body, and she had remembered all the events leading up to this moment, and yet when a moment ago when she wanted to swear her revenge, she no longer felt animosity toward Discord.

She looked over the chaos god, then down at the floor, and then looked at HIM again. Was this the same god who had madly tortured her moments ago? Was her mind drawing a blank? Because all she felt now toward him, was not love, nor hate, but simply admiration. She was honored to have been chosen to be HIS apprentice, for how could one not feel honor when being acknowledged by the Lord Discord.

Discord said nothing, but simple stared at her with a seeming indifference. Twilight Sparkle knelt down on a single hoof and bowed her head to speak,

“Master, I am ready to embrace the ways of chaos, and I am ready to begin my training.”

Author's Note:

I hope you enjoy! There's not much to say. I guess I just wanted to imagine what it would take to finally make Twilight 'fall'. She is one of the most strong willed characters in the show, and I do think it would take a lot of convincing to will her to change.

Comments ( 1 )

Personally, I think this story is excellent. Maybe a little bit of proof reading could be needed but otherwise I really like it.

Login or register to comment