• Published 26th Jan 2015
  • 3,551 Views, 416 Comments

Table for Two - KitsuneRisu



There's a cafe at the edge of town: cozy, warm, and inviting. A place to go when you need somewhere to be. But here, in this cafe, everyone is equal. In this cafe, everyone is free to speak their mind. And in this cafe, the Gods listen back.

  • ...
10
 416
 3,551

Temperature - Twilight Sparkle & Rarity [Cold in Gardez]

It was not, as coffees went, a particularly sophisticated order.

Hot milk, a shot of near-boiling water forced at high pressure through finely ground beans, and a tablespoon of cocoa powder, all mixed thoroughly with – most important – a spray of whipped cream on top. To the other patrons, the ones seated around her or in line behind her when she’d ordered, it barely even qualified as coffee – more like a hot chocolate with a bit of caffeine added for kicks.

A foals’ drink, in other words. The sort of order that provoked little smiles from other customers as they indulged in their bitter, black brews. Coffees that beat the tongue into submission until it was too scalded and scarred to remember what sugar or cream tasted like anymore.

Twilight Sparkle blew on her cafe mocha and gave it a careful little sip. The hot liquid stung her tongue, numbing it, and she quickly pulled the cup away and swirled the burning liquid around her mouth and teeth to cool it. With nothing else to occupy her mind, she gazed out the wide window beside her seat.

Ponies trundled through the light snow. The storm had tapered off by morning, leaving a few inches of white powder on the streets and roofs. Flurries still fell, not enough to add anything appreciable to the piles on the ground but enough to look pretty. It built on ponies’ coats as they walked through the muffled, still air, leaving a white dust on their manes and backs that turned to sparkling dew as soon as they walked in through the doors. They stamped their hooves and shook themselves like wet dogs in the entryway, between a pair of folding wax paper screens the cafe set out for days like this.

Twilight heard the chair across from her table slide out, followed by the quiet creak of wood as somepony settled into it. The faint scent of cotton and lilac told her who. Without looking, she lifted her cafe mocha and took another careful sip.

Still a shade too hot for her liking. She considered taking a gulp anyway, but discarded the urge and set the cup down on the battered table. She was a patient pony.

Outside, through the glazed panes, snow fell in faint veils. It shrouded the distant rooftops. A faint tracing of frost creeped up the edges of the glass, concealing the world beyond with white and silver fractals that vanished when her breath touched them.

Twilight and her guest stared out in silence for a long minute. She could hear the other mare’s breath, slowly calming as she recovered from the effort of trudging through the storm.

“Bit for your thoughts?” Rarity finally asked. Her chin was propped on her hoof, her nose just inches from the window. It fogged every few seconds as she exhaled.

Twilight tilted her head. To be truthful, she was thinking about dozens of things, each for no more than a few seconds before some new thought chased it away and ran off with her imagination until it too was overthrown. Rather undisciplined of her.

Still, Twilight owed her an answer. “Energy, I suppose.”

“Energy?”

“Mhm.”

“How do you mean?”

“This coffee, mostly.” Twilight nudged her cup with the tip of her hoof. It was not really coffee, of course, but that was a needless distinction and would have distracted from her main argument. “It’s still too hot.”

“Ah. Did you try stirring it?”

“No, that would have melted the whipped cream.”

“Of course. May I ask why you have whipped cream on your coffee?” She smiled at the question, her eyes darting between Twilight’s mug and her face.

Twilight glanced at the mug. “Well, it’s a cafe mocha, actually.”

“Fair enough. What does that have to do with energy?”

“Heat is energy.” Twilight sipped at her mocha again. Perfect. “I was wondering whether the liquid was losing more heat through conduction or radiation.”

Rarity’s eyes flicked down to the mug held between Twilight’s hooves. “You have radioactive hot chocolate?”

“No. I mean, yes, I guess, but it’s not a source of ionizing radiation. Well, except maybe for some trace amounts of potassium, but that would hardly be measurable. It’s perfectly safe.”

“A relief to hear, I’m sure.”

Twilight arched an eyebrow. “You’re mocking me, aren’t you?”

“Twilight, if I were mocking you, it would be because you ordered a little filly’s drink from a big filly’s cafe.” A tiny smile bent up the corners of her mouth, softening the impact of her words. “I’m surprised they even serve those here.”

“I’m a grown mare. I can have whatever I want.” She took another sip. “Anyway, it’s a popular item. They have those little marshmallows instead of whipped cream, if you prefer.”

For a moment – just a fleeting instant – Rarity’s eyes betrayed a hint of interest, but just as quickly her expression returned to the lidded indifference she so often wore. “Hm, not for me, thank you. They’re too sweet. Cloying, really.”

“Of course.” Another sip. Not perfect anymore – it had cooled a hair past that point. Still delicious, though, as it traced a molten chocolatey path down her tongue and throat.

Silence returned. They gazed out the window as a gust of wind sent the snow fleeing down the street like a frightened ghost.

“So, which was it?” Rarity asked.

“Which was what?”

“Radiation, or the other thing.”

“Conduction?” Twilight took a longer sip now, almost a gulp. The mocha had cooled further and was well on its way to lukewarm. “It’s probably a bit of both. Depends on the emissivity of the ceramics used in the mug. I did some of the math for it, but then it started snowing again, and I guess I got distracted watching it.”

Rarity glanced out the window. “It is beautiful. Cold, though.”

“What, this?” Twilight shook her head. “It’s barely below freezing.”

“And I’m sure in Canterlot this would be a balmy spring day,” Rarity countered. “But we don’t live on the side of a mountain.”

“You don’t like the cold?”

“I’m of two minds about it.” Rarity turned away from the window, gazing up instead at the blackboards fixed on the wall above and behind the register where, written in chalk, the Owner announced the day’s specials. “I don’t like being cold, no. But, ponies who are cold tend to buy clothing, and I do appreciate that.”

Twilight nodded. “I know the feeling. Ponies who are cold tend to use the library more often.”

Silence proceeded from that statement. Rarity turned back toward her, an eyebrow raised.

Twilight fidgeted. “Okay, fine. No they don’t.”

“Well, more’s the pity. Perhaps I’ll stop by this afternoon for a little light reading.”

“That would be nice.” Twilight hid her smile behind the mug as she took another drink. The mocha was merely warm now, and she gulped it down unhesitatingly. When she looked up, Rarity had turned back to the window, gazing out with her chin resting on her hoof again

“Bit for your thoughts?” she asked.

“Thinking about our friends,” Rarity said. “I wonder if they’re warm, or cold, or something in between.”

“Well, Dash is probably up there somewhere.” Twilight made a vague motion with her muzzle toward the clouds. “She’s been planning this storm for days, she said. The others are probably inside, staying warm. Unless they’re outside, being cold.”

“That does cover most of the possibilities.”

Twilight shrugged. “That’s winter for you.” She took a final swig of her mocha, lapping up a dollop of whipped cream that had somehow survived the whole cup’s journey.

“Any good?” Rarity asked.

“Very. Cooled off a bit too much at the end, though. There’s probably some optimal pace at which to drink a hot beverage so it doesn’t scald your tongue when you start, or get too cool by the end.”

“Sounds like a promising thesis statement. Oh, you’ve got some cream on your nose.”

Twilight blushed, rubbing her muzzle with her hoof. “Sorry, was a little left at the end.”

“Oh, it was there since I walked in,” Rarity said, the ghost of a smile on her lips. “It just looked too adorable to spoil, though.”

Ah. Twilight’s blush doubled, recalling the smiles the other customers had given her. “Well, uh—”

“Miss Rarity?” The Owner said, stopping suddenly by. “You appear to have had time to consider. Can I take your order?”

“Yes.” Rarity turned to him, all smiles. “I’ll have the cafe mocha, please. With those little marshmallows.”

“Very good.” He sketched a slight bow. “I’ll have it right out for you.”

Silence again. They filled it by gazing out at the drifting snow.

Author's Note:

Conversation scribed by Cold in Gardez.
The Cafe is appreciative for his time.