• Published 15th Jan 2015
  • 15,153 Views, 1,431 Comments

Unity - Kieva Lynn



Ponyville, Equestria. Fallow Meadows, Indiana. Two towns torn from thier worlds and deposited together on a third. Can Human and Pony work together? They'd better hope so, because they're not alone...

  • ...
39
 1,431
 15,153

Chapter Thirty-Five

Unity
Chapter Thirty-Five

"Wh... What!?" Twilight exclaimed. "How do you know my name!?"

The man smiled. "Come with me please. I'll explain everything." Rising to his feet, introducing himself as Agent Marsh, the man led the four ponies towards a utilitarian structure that had clearly been built in haste on the site of Fallow Meadow's abduction. As they walked, he explained; "When the town here vanished, We immediately began investigating every possible lead, no matter how unlikely. One of the considerations we explored was the idea that our people might have been abducted by some extraterrestrial force."

"Well you got that bit right, more or less." Twilight confirmed.

Agent Marsh continued, "Yes. Of course, we've barely made it as far as our own moon with manned expeditions. Building spacecraft to go looking was clearly out. But as our scientists ran every test they could come up with on this area, they found a number of anomalies; traces of exotic matter, energy signatures that didn't match anything on record... Long story short, we were able to use the data gathered to determine that what had taken the town hadn't taken them across space; it had taken them to another reality."

"I still don't really get that part." Rainbow said.

Twilight explained "It's multiplicity theory Dash. There's not just one universe, but an entire multiverse of realities running in parallel with each other."

"And with the information we gathered from Fallow Meadow's disappearance, combined with another abduction to the west some time later, we were able to produce a prototype gateway with which to go looking for our people." Marsh said.

"You can move between realities now?"

"Not exactly. As I said, it's a prototype. Less a door than a window. But we can tune in a parallel world, and explore it from within the gate facility, which is the building I'm taking you to."

Applejack said "This is all well and good, but it don't explain how you knew Twi's name."

Marsh grinned. "Ahh yes... Well, as it turns out while we were investigating the abductions here, a certain Princess was conducting her own investigation, reaching the same conclusions, and using magic to create the same results we got with technology; a window for looking for you. Our search team and yours met about three months ago, and once the language barriers were out of the way we figured out pretty quickly that we were both searching for the same thing."

"So, you've spoken with the Princesses?" Twilight asked. "That's wonderful!"

"You'll be able to speak with them as well." Marsh said. "Your human friends from Fallow Meadows ended up where Ponyville used to be. That's how I knew to start searching for you. Princess Celestia contacted us half an hour ago."

"Is there any delay?" Twilight asked. "We'll only be here a day before we're pulled back."

"No. And in fact the pull back may be a good thing. If you're able to take things back with you, we can send a beacon. That way, there'll be no more searching, both world's gates will be able to tune directly in to where you are."

"Oh what a party I'll be able to throw when we get home!" Pinkie cheered. "I mean, it's not a good as a 'we all get to go home' party, but being able to talk with everypony again is awesome!"

"It sure is Pinkie." Applejack grinned.

"And don't count out actual travel yet." Twilight said. "Surely we'll figure it out sooner or later."

The agent nodded. "Probably. The project leader here is sure they'll manage it someday, though he doesn't expect it anytime soon." As they walked along further, Twilight told the agent a condensed version of what they had learned about Singularity. In time, they stopped at a door, and Marsh slid a card, and opened it. "Here we are. The gateway room is straight ahead."

The pony quartet followed the narrow hallway into the building, where it soon opened up into a large chamber full of equipment. and standing at the center of the chamber- "Princess!!" Twilight exclaimed. She galloped towards Celestia, jumped to embrace her mentor, and passed through, landing with a thud on the padded floor.

"Oh dear. Are you okay Twilight?" The Princess asked.

"I'm fine, but what...?"

"Remember, this is like a window, not a door." Celestia explained. "I'm actually standing in the Canterlot throne room."

"Yeah that does make sense actually." Twilight mumbled, rubbing her horn.

"I am most pleased to see you are well." Celestia said. "Not that I ever really doubted it, not with ponies as capable as you and your friends, but it is still gratifying to see firsthoof."

"Indeed." Another voice said. Luna stepped into view, seeming to materialize from nowhere though Twilight knew she must simply be stepping into the window's radius. "It is pleasing to know that both Ponyville and Shetland Crossing have survived."

"Well, beggin' your pardon Princess, but we haven't all made it." Applejack said, stepping next to Twilight. "We've lost a few, especially early on. And of course your nephew..."

Celestia gave a small, sad smile. "At ease Applejack. Our guests here have already told us of what happened with Prince Blueblood. 'Tis a sadness. But perhaps unavoidable under the circumstances, and I take no exception with what Unity has done with him."

Luna said "Nor do I... Though in all veracity I must say the tale of this Xix-xax's Celestia disguise is the funniest thing I've heard since my return... 'Uranus' indeed..." She seemed to be fighting the urge to laugh again.

"Quite." Celestia said. "I suspect they heard my sister's peals of laughter in Los Pegasus."

"I'm just glad we've made contact." Twilight said. "The question is, what do we do now?"

Celestia looked up, over Twilight's head, at one of the humans standing just outside the window. "Do you still wish to proceed with your plans?" She asked.

"Yes Princess." The woman answered. "We have a beacon that Miss Sparkle and her friends should be able to take back with them. Once we get the dimensional coordinates, it will be child's play to open windows directly there."

"Establishing open communications, if nothing else." Luna said, nodding. "But I suspect Tia was asking about the other part of your plan."

"Well, the final choice belongs to our guests. If they're willing to help, we'll proceed."

"Hang on, help with what?" Rainbow asked.

Agent Marsh said "So far, we've kept the truth of what happened to Fallow Meadows and the people who vanished in Arizona a secret from the general population. But that can't keep forever, especially not now that we know there's an ongoing risk that more places could be taken. So, our President is planning to hold a press conference to reveal the truth. It'll be held this evening. What we were hoping you might be willing to do, is, after the President's speech, answer a few questions as well."

"How many humans will be watching this?" Twilight asked.

"At least several million."

"Good thing Flutters didn't come." Rainbow whispered.

"Yeah, even I'm terrified at that kind of an audience." Twilight said. Steeling herself, she added, "But if you think it will help, I'll do it."

"Do we need to travel somewhere else?" Applejack asked.

"No ma'am, the conference is being set up at the edge of the old town limits." Marsh answered. "In the meantime, if you don't mind, we'd like for you to discuss what you've learned about the source of the abductions with some of our staff. I expect they'll follow you better than I did..."

XXXX

Several hours later. Twilight paced nervously back and forth behind the curtain that separated the conference podium and stage from the preparation area. She didn't dare to sneak a look out the curtain, but she could hear the sounds of a large crowd of reporters milling about. "Settle down Twi, you'll do fine." Applejack said.

"Yeah! You always do!" Pinkie agreed.

"Thanks." Twilight gave a smile, then looked up as a pair of human males in black suits and dark glasses stepped in, looked around, and signaled to someone else still outside the curtain. They were quickly joined by more people, one of who walked right up to the ponies and greeted them. "I take it you're the President?" Twilight asked.

"That's right. And I'd love to stay and talk, but with my schedule I'm here just in time. If you'll excuse me..." He stepped up to the front curtain, waited as someone announced him, and stepped through. Guided by Agent Marsh, the ponies gathered around a television showing the broadcast live. He began by summarizing what had happened months earlier, with the town vanishing, and the area being cordoned off; the rumors and conspiracy theories that swirled around; Apparently people had blamed everything from aliens to zombies, all with the government involved in one way or another. From there, the President went on to reveal what the scientists had discovered, and the construction of the window. The early exploration of other worlds. By this point, everyone in the assembled press was riveted, whether they believed what they were hearing or not.

"It was three months ago that the search teams experienced a major breakthrough. While performing the initial reconnaissance on the eleventh world they had managed to tune in, they witnessed the arrival, through a window similar to those we've learned to build, of another intelligent species."

The President's words were cut short by a roar of questions from the press, the two most often reported being:

"Were these the beings responsible for taking Fallow Meadows?"

"Are we now in danger of an alien invasion?"

Waving for the crowd to calm down, he answered "Our first suspicions were the same. But when we made contact with them, when we worked through the language barrier and were able to communicate, we discovered just the opposite: They, too, had recently experienced the abduction of an entire town. They, too, were searching for their people. And so I, along with a handful of other world leaders, used the windows to meet with their leaders. We made an agreement to share information. And we continued searching."

"And have those searched bore results?" A reported called out.

"Yes and no. We have not yet found the world where the abductees have been taken. But they've found us. Earlier today, we learned that those taken from Earth and our ally's world, Eqqus, seem to have met each other, and also allied together to survive. They found the alien machine responsible for the abductions, and gathered information from it regarding it's purpose. Sadly, it cannot send the towns back where they belong. But it can send small groups back temporarily."

"Sir, are you saying that some of our missing people are back on Earth now?"

"Not exactly. Apparently the machine is extraordinarily old and isn't working right anymore. It switched the two groups that were trying to return. Our people are on Eqqus, and theirs are here." At this, the press began clamoring for interviews. Waving for them to be calm again, the President said "We cannot grant one on one interviews. Time is short, they will be automatically pulled back to the other world in a few hours. But, one of our guests has agreed to answer a few questions..."

"I guess this is it." Twilight said. "Wish me luck."

The reaction in the press, and across the world from countless people watching on television, was mixed. As the curtain parted to admit a small purple unicorn, most simply stared in jaw-dropped silence. Some gasped, and still others mumbled out a variety of obscenities. Unnerved by the general silence, Twilight nonetheless trotted across the stage and reared up on her hind legs, with her forehooves balancing atop the podium. "Hello... My name is Twilight Sparkle, and I guess I'm here to answer any questions you might have for me..."

XXXX

Three hours later, the four ponies were back in the gate facility, waiting. They knew that they should be getting pulled back to Singularity at any moment. Each of them was now wearing saddlebags loaded with supplies the base staff had thought might be useful for Unity, and Twilight wore the beacon around her neck. "I just hope this stuff actually goes back with you." Agent Marsh said.

"It should." Twilight answered.

Applejack said "Yeah. According t' that Pazu guy, the whole reason they made it possible t' come back was in case we needed t' get something."

"What all's in these bags anyway?" Rainbow Dash asked, poking her muzzle into one of them.

One of the scientists answered "Well, seeds for one thing, so you can maybe grow a wider variety of food. There's also samples of the organisms needed to culture some basic antibiotics, along with instructions on how to do so and small supplies of other useful medicines you probably won't be able to make on your own for awhile yet."

Another said "Plus, we've included a computer drive with up to date news and entertainment, and several other trinkets that could come in handy."

"Well thank y'all for that." Applejack nodded. "Wish we could pay you back."

"You already have by letting us know what's really going on." Marsh said.

Rainbow said "And now that we'll be able to talk to each other, you can let us know if anyone else gets taken. Then we can find 'em and maybe, what's that expression....?"

"Pay it forward?" Pinkie suggested.

"Yeah that's it!"

"Sounds good. Although, so far as that goes... I wonder if it would be possible to stop the machine from grabbing anyone else?" Marsh wondered.

"I don't see how." Twilight answered. "I mean, if you'd seen this place with your own eyes you'd understand. It's huge! 'Bigger than New York City' according to Bert. And the technology level is so far beyond ours..."

"Well, it was just a thought." Marsh said, and would have said more but at that moment the ponies began to fade from his sight. "Guess this is it. Good luck." He said, but they were already gone.

XXXX

Singularity. Two ponies, a changeling, a fairy, and a goblin sat in a circle, passing their time playing cards. "Do you have any fours?" Rarity asked.

"Go fish." The goblin replied.

Sighing, The unicorn was drawing a card with her magic when a rush of displaced air blew through, scattering the cards all about. "What in the world-?" She started to ask, but stopped as Fluttershy gasped.

"They're back!" The Pegasus cheered, and rushed to the returned teams sides.

"How did it go?" Xix-xax asked.

"Yes, how was Canterlot?" Rarity added.

"Pretty cool, honestly." Reginald chuckled. At the unicorn's confused expression he said "We got switched."

"Oh! So you went to... And they were on... Oh my."

"Yeah." Bert said. "But we were able to come back with gifts. Not the least of which is this..." He pulled his arm out from behind his back, revealing-

"Tank!" Rainbow cheered, grabbing the tortoise up in her hooves and flying about excitedly.

"I've never seen anyone so excited about a turtle." Herbert chuckled.

Nigel sat a satchel down in front of Twilight. "This is for you. There are some books from Celestia and a number of potions a zebra insisted we bring you... I can't believe I just said that."

A moment later, amid what looked like a burst of static, an image of Agent Marsh appeared nearby. "Excellent. The beacon works." He said.

"So we'll be able to communicate now!" Twilight cheered. "This is wonderful! If you'd like, we can show you what this entire facility looks like from outside, then you'll see what I meant before."

"That sounds good. Hang on a moment though..." Marsh vanished, though not in a manner that suggested the window had been closed. Rather, he seemed to step out of sight, indicating that he had moved outside of the gate's range. After a moment he returned. "That should do it."

"Do what?"

"This." A voice spoke as Princess Luna appeared. "Excellent."

xx

Several minutes later, everyone was standing on the outside platform where Harmony had landed. From the open windows, the princesses and several human scientists were intently examining the vast Singularity complex. "You weren't kidding." Marsh said. "This place is like nothing I've ever seen."

"Indeed. I can see no manner of shutting it down." Luna agreed. "Understanding the systems well enough to do so could take dedicated scholars decades."

"Well... Whoever gets to study all this might be able to get some help from Pazu." Belle said. "But, I have to ask... Even with what it's doing wrong, would we really want to? I mean, it's still saving people in actual danger too..."

"A valid concern." Celestia said. "But, not one for the moment."

"So, what do we do now?" Fluttershy asked. "Just go back to Unity?"

"I suppose so." Bert said. "It's not like we can do anything more here."

"Go ahead then." Marsh said. "Just keep the beacon with you, so that we can home in on your exact location."

"We will." Twilight assured him. She turned to Celestia. "Princess, I know it's been awhile since I was last able to do this, but-"

"Go ahead my student. I welcome an oral report."

Twilight nodded, cleared her throat, and began: "Dear Princess Celestia; Over the last few months, I've learned that circumstances can make friends even where you least expect them. Friendship can bring even people from entirely different worlds together. And in working together, they can all gain from each others knowledge, experience, and unique perspectives. Ponies- -and humans- -often wonder why there is so much pain and difficulty in the world. Maybe it's there to give us the push we need to move beyond what we're comfortable with, to inspire new alliances and new friendships where they wouldn't form otherwise. But whatever the case, I wouldn't trade away the experiences I've had here, the new friends I've made here, for anything. Which means that this expedition is a success even though it didn't find us a way home. Your faithful student, Twilight Sparkle..."

Author's Note:

Almost there folks, one chapter to go :)