• Published 3rd Jan 2015
  • 650 Views, 11 Comments

Made for Radio - Shrike Windstorm



What happens when a safety paranoid broadcaster and his excitable high-speed brother meet a notorious party animal and her calmer, creative twin sister? You get a story that's just made for radio!

  • ...
 11
 650

Chapter 1 - The Letter

Clear Signal was an extremely troubled pony, to say the least. Paranoid and scared of meeting new people, afraid to leave the safety of his locked and barred room, talking to the outside only through radios and his brother, most ponies who even knew of his existence simply thought he was a highly anti-social unicorn who preferred the company of machines to other ponies. In a way, they were right. He did prefer the company of machines, for the simple reason that unless you somehow gave an AI complete freedom of thought and will, a machine would never turn on its creator. Such was his mentality, ever since the day he found his parents dead, killed by some petty thief. Sometimes Signal even wished he was a machine. That way he wouldn’t have to deal with such fickle things as emotions or social interaction. He could last forever as a machine, as long as he was well looked after. But then again, all machines need somepony to do exactly that – look after them.


Late Morning, the Storm Household, Canterlot Suburbs

“Dear, Signal has a letter! From the Conservatory! Oh how exciting, I wonder if they offered him a place? Of course, we’ll have to tell him that we put him down for it, but he’s so talented, and he really shouldn't waste that talent up there in his room and... Oh it’s so wonderful!” came the call of a rather hysterical mother to her husband as she picked up the morning mail. Tender Heart had adopted the young colt named Clear Signal into her rather eclectic family after his parents were killed. She had known that nopony else would accept a reclusive, untrusting pony such as he into their household, and she wouldn't let such a unique pony throw away his childhood in an orphanage simply because he was too afraid to talk to strangers.

“Yes, yes it is,” was the gruff reply of her hippogriff husband, Steller Storm, another misfit in pony society, with his half-pegasus, half-griffon parentage. He took the letter from his wife, looked at it briefly and nodded to himself. Taking the letter in a claw, he quickly flew up the stairs and skilfully landed next to his adoptive son’s door. He rapped his knuckles against it as he called through the thick wood. “Signal, I have a letter here for you.” No reply. Sometimes a more direct approach is needed, he thought. “Signal, here, now!” he shouted. The sounds of a groan, then hooves clopping on the floor over to the door and finally the distinctive *click ... click* of two locks being opened in short succession emanated through the door. Finally, the large chunk of wood that separated Signal from the outside world swung open, to reveal a rather annoyed but curious blue unicorn.

“What is it Dad, I’m busy fixing the amplitude modulator, Shrike touched it and accidentally fried it.” The hippogriff looked on, nonplussed by the situation; it was something they’d had to learn to deal with over the years, though recently Shrike’s power problem had been getting worse.

“This came for you in the post just now,” he said, firm and straight to the point as always. “Your mother put you down for it without telling you, probably so that you wouldn’t freak out and refuse. Personally I think it’s a good idea, but it’s up to you whether you go or not.”

“Go where? Give me that.” Signal grabbed the envelope from his father and read the letter as he turned it over with his magic. The wax sealing the envelope was stamped with the image of a bar of music. Just below that were the letters CMC, in elaborate flowing script. “The Canterlot Music Conservatory...” mused Signal, as his eyes flicked over the stamp. He gently pulled apart the seal and removed the letter from its paper casing. “To Mr. Clear Signal,” he read, “Having listened to your samples, we at the Canterlot Music Conservatory would like to extend an invitation to you to join our school as part of our scholarship program for talented musicians.” He stopped speaking as his eyes skimmed across the rest of the page, taking it all in.

After a moment, Steller broke the silence. “So, what does it say?”

“They’re basically asking me to come study there as part of a special program thingy, but they've also exempted me from some of the things normal students have to do. For example, I don’t have to live in one of the campus owned buildings.That's got to be at least one of the reasons why mother put me down for it. So that I don't have to share a room with anypony else."

“As far as I understand it, yes. And on that note, I believe I have found the perfect place. It’s only about twenty minutes from the conservatory if you walk and whilst it’s certainly not the biggest apartment ever, it will certainly be big enough for you two,” said Steller. Signal started slightly at the mention of two. “Don’t worry, it’s just Shrike. He’s going to live there as well, there’s enough room and he can look after you if you need help.”

Signal looked up resignedly. “Dad, why do you always prepare things so well? I appreciate it a lot, don't get me wrong, but sometimes, well... Out of curiosity, do you have a plan for any and all situations stored away in case of emergency? ” His father smirked gleefully, much like his other son. “Ugh... I guess I can’t really say anything otherwise until we go and look at this apartment place, can I?”

“Not a chance Signal, or your mother would skin me alive.” That garnered a small grin out of the unicorn, because despite her name and usual disposition, Tender Heart could go absolutely ballistic if she thought that ponies were wasting their potential, and she usually took it out on whoever was responsible for that blocking of talent. She was calm and kind most of the time, but when she was angry with someone she was a force of nature worse than Shrike.

“Alright then, let’s get this over with.”


Around noon, Wave Street, Central Canterlot

For the benefit of the only being without wings, the group walked, the bright sun shining down on their backs as they trotted along the pavement. Steller and his two sons certainly drew a lot of attention, with more than a few ponies crossing the street to avoid them. Steller sighed, he was used to the discrimination but it still grated on his nerves that ponies could be so unkind when it came to something they were unfamiliar with. Whether it be aimed at him and his strange half and half appearance, Shrike’s wings and accidental lightning magic or the fact that in public, Signal hid behind his brother in fear of all the ponies surrounding them, it didn’t matter. What mattered was that nopony, or at least, very few, ever looked past that different exterior and saw what they were actually like as ponies. Tender Heart was one of those few, and that’s why he had ended up marrying her.

As they walked, Shrike jumped about, his extra energy pent up from having to go so slowly. As his hooves hit the pavement, sparks flew like hot metal being struck with a hammer. Steller sighed once more, he really would have to do something about that, it could be quite dangerous. He remembered one time when Shrike had accidentally knocked someone out by shaking their hoof. That was an embarrassing incident indeed, but at least the pony had been alright. After a few minutes more of zapping innocent stone slabs had taken place, Stellar spoke up. “Fine Shrike, you can fly.” The hyperactive Pegasus exploded upwards with such speed that his cry of thanks was muffled by the sound of the wind he caused. The hedges to their side shook in the sudden gust, before settling back down again. A few ponies’ hats were blown off, and more than just those few looked disapprovingly up at the sky, perhaps expecting Shrike to return and apologize. Unfortunately for them, that wasn't going to happen. Steller chuckled to himself, it was amusing to see some of the more uptight ponies rustled by something, especially if it was his speed-inclined son.

Shrike's departure had also managed to unsettle Signal, however. This happened more regularly than Steller cared to admit. They would go out, and Signal would relapse from the confident, sarcastic pony he was when messing with technology or sound into a timid and frightened one. This time, it was probably due to the stress caused by the idea of leaving home and moving to somewhere new. They walked in silence for a few minutes before Steller decided to broach the subject with his son. “Signal, we need to talk. You’re getting worse.” Steller wondered whether he was doing the right thing, but he needed to make sure that Signal understood that he would have to be around other people at the Conservatory.

Signal sighed, trying to blend into the wall next to him, desperately hoping that no one would notice if he suddenly disappeared. that plan didn't quite work however, as blue and purple tends to stand out quite well on stone. It didn't take Signal long to realise that there would be no disappearing today. “Fine,” he huffed. Steller nodded, pleased that Signal was willing to even speak with him.

“I know that it’s difficult for you to talk to other ponies, but you’re going to have to do that if you go to the Conservatory. I need to make sure that you think you can manage that, otherwise there’s no point in us even trying to help you with it. You need to help yourself to get over your fears - go out there and meet some new ponies. It doesn’t need to be many, maybe just two or three others, but you need to expand your ‘can talk to’ circle to more than just us, we’re not always going to be there.” Steller paused, waiting for his words to sink in. “Do you think you’ll be able to manage without one of us there?”

Signal had stopped, considering his father’s words. “I think so. I make no promises however.” The unicorn smirked.

“There we go," Steller smiled and ruffled his sons’ hair. "I knew you could do it. You just need to come out of your shell a bit so that everypony can see how annoyingly sarcastic you are.”

“Hey! I’m not that bad!” Signal protested. Steller raised an eyebrow, daring his son to believe his own excuses. “OK, I totally am, I apologise for all the headaches and suffering I've caused you my liege,” Signal said, trying not to smile. Steller merely chuckled at his son's dry wit.

A moment later, an excited shout flew towards him, stirring him from his thoughts. “Hey dad! This place is awesome!" Shrike called excitedly. "Well, I predict it’ll be awesome, but Mr Grumpy over here won’t let me in without you.” Steller almost started laughing again. When they got going, both his sons were equally as talkative, one dripping with sarcasm and cynicism, the other genuinely excited about life and everything in it. It seemed that Shrike had flown straight to the address, without pausing to race a falcon or de-leaf all the trees in Canterlot Park. The latter had been an accident, to be fair.

A beleaguered-looking grey unicorn with a house for a cutie mark stood next to Shrike, a matching black briefcase held in his magic, with a tormented expression on his face. As Steller and Signal approached, the estate agent turned away from the hyperactive pegasus, hoping the new arrivals would be calmer. When he caught sight of Steller, a slight frown crossed his face, before the cool professionalism of a stallion who’s sure he can sell you anything returned. “Good afternoon sir, my name is Chart Survey, I believe we spoke earlier.”

Shrike stopped what he was doing as a grin crept across his face. “Wait, so after all the time that I've been standing here pestering you for your name, it’s just a shortened version of your job description? Your parents either guessed really well or pressured you into this.” He paused for a second, as if thinking deeply. “Or perhaps, you changed it when you became an estate agent, because your old name was awful!” Previously unfazed, Chart looked shocked and took a half step back, his look of utter confusion and horror plain for all to see. Steller glared at Shrike. After only a few minutes in his company, he was well on the way to making the seemingly stallionly estate agent have a breakdown. Maybe they shook hooves when Shrike got here, Steller pondered, in which case the poor stallion was probably already lost to them. Ah well. At least Steller’s glare seemed to have some effect on Shrike, the latter having wisely shut up before his father’s fierce predatory gaze.

The poor estate agent still hadn't quite recovered from Shrike’s apparently psychic guesses, but a gentle cough from Steller hurried him back from the brink of possible insanity. With a shake of his head, Chart quickly regained his composure. “Ahem. My name is a personal matter, and since we are here strictly to discuss business, I would ask you to refrain from asking me anything more about it.”

Just as the yellow pegasus looked as if he was about to launch into another set of probing questions, his father decided that the best course of action was to move on as quickly as possible. “Shrike, do as he asks, he has other commitments to meet today, I’m sure.” Chart nodded, thankful for the brief reprieve from the incessant questioning. The house which they had been completely ignoring for the last five minutes was a two story affair that consisted of a large ground floor and smaller upper flat, with a short staircase outside leading to a separate door. Chart opened his briefcase deftly, picked out a key and opened the ground floor to the world. Shrike bounded in immediately, flicking the light switch as he did, and illuminating the front room.

Shrike dashed through rooms, not even pausing to look around. By the time the rest of the group had got through the door, the pegasus had already rushed around every room. “This is great! Can we live here?” Steller fought the urge to rub his forehead in exasperation, and decided to simply cast a look at Shrike that told him it wasn’t his decision to make. Shrike almost seemed to take a half step backwards under his father’s scrutiny, but quickly regained his vigour and bounced off again.

The estate agent, already exhausted from his previous bout with the pegasus had by now totally given up hope of retaining his sanity. He only wished that it would be over soon. “Well sirs, if you’d follow me, this shouldn't take too long,” he said with a hint of pleading.

Steller caught onto it immediately and agreed that it would be better for all parties involved if things were finished quickly. “Of course, lead on.” Tensions dissolved once more, Chart regained his business-like air and began to lead the two more sedate ponies through the building.


“... And here is the other bedroom, as you can see, which has its own-“

“Excuse me, Mr Chart?” Signal cut off the estate agent before he could start yet another sales pitch. “I noticed when we came in that there was another floor, but there’s no staircase leading up to it anywhere.”

“Ah yes, there is in fact another flat above us, which can only be accessed from the stairs outside. Incidentally, it too is for sale, both flats were owned by the same pony I believe,” Chart explained.

“And you didn’t think to mention it?” Signal questioned.

“Well no, your father said that he was looking for a single flat for the two of you, and I believe that this flat is far nicer than the one upstairs.” Chart felt a headache coming, probably a migraine. He didn't get paid enough for this.

Signal wasn't convinced. “Nevertheless, would it be possible to have a look inside? And where can I get access to the roof?”

“Roof access? I suppose... from the other flat... Alright, I can take you there now.” Chart sighed as he led the group outside again. He now completely regretted his decision to take this job. Just a flat for some students they said. A mundane task they said. He was going to need to take a whole weekend off sick just for this.


The stairs loomed ahead, a towering monstrosity that threatened to come crashing down around them as they climbed. Soon, they would reach the top and the doors to the ancient and mysterious temple would open once again, and all its secrets would theirs! All theirs! Chart opened the door. The creaking sound as it swung open brought Shrike back to reality and away from his alternate fantasy world. The ponies filed in one after the other, crowding into the smaller room. Shrike swooped in, on a mission to save the world from an evil mustachioed mastermind. He pushed his back up against the wall and edged around it, kicking open one of the doors into the next room.

He paused. So this room was the reason the rest of the flat was so tiny, somepony had taken out the rest of the walls here to create a (relatively) huge room with whole wall windows that looked out in opposite directions. He walked in, imagining the multitude of things he could do with a room like this. Indoor volleyball, a gaming den, fill the entire thing with beanbags... The choices were endless. Signal came in, his jaw dropping as well. The unicorn thought for a moment as his brother bounced around the empty space, then turned to the estate agent. “Onto the roof. Right now.”

Chart nodded, too tired to bother protesting, and led Signal to a small staircase with a trapdoor at the top. Signal rushed through it onto the flat roof, and gazed out across Canterlot. The building was at the top of the street and the hill, with a line of sight to almost anywhere in Canterlot. Shrike followed his brother up onto the roof. It really was a sight to behold. “Just... wow.”

“Shrike, I couldn’t have summed it up better myself. It’s perfect!” Signal could barely contain himself with excitement.

“Perfect?” Shrike asked, confused.

“For a radio station Shrike, my own radio station!”

Shrike grinned even wider at his brother’s excitement. “That’s a pretty good idea.”

"Pretty good? It's fantastic!"

“Well, seeing as you both like it, I think this’ll do, don’t you think so boys?” Steller smiled as he walked up to his sons. He put a wing around each of them and gave them a hug.

“Daaaaad...” Shrike protested.

Steller laughed, “oh come on Shrike, I’m not that bad.”

“Yes, yes you are. It’s embarrassing.” Signal frowned at his father disapprovingly.

“Oh alright then.” Steller paused, then turned to Signal. “So if you’re going to make your own radio station, what are you going to call it?” Signal thought for a moment as he looked down the street.

“I think I’ll call it... Canterlot Hill.”

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment