• Published 2nd Jan 2015
  • 562 Views, 5 Comments

Border Chronicles: Book 1 Friendship in Chaos - Sirion123



Trevor Fields is a young, up and coming junior officer in Belfiore Academy, Cealum's premier Naval Officer School. He is at the top of the class in grades and fitness, but has no friends. That will all change once he meets a certain spirit of chaos.

  • ...
3
 5
 562

Ch 7: Rouge Wave part 1

***WARNING: This chapter contains some dark moments. you have been warned.***


Location:
R-13 Farway, Caelum
Cygnus, Belfiore Academy
2037 P.C.E. (Post Creator Era)


Petrified.

Twilight Sparkle, who faced threats of legendary proportion, who braved such horrors as the changeling queen, Tirek, and Sombra. Who stood by her friends and face every challenge with the fire of courage, sat frozen as if caught once again under a cockatrice's stare. Withering under Skeleton's furious gaze. Inside his soul piercing emerald eyes lie vast fields of burning flames, and a smell of brimstone permeated the p-way. Under the full weight of the guardian's anger, Twilight felt as small and insignificant as a grain of sand.

"My office" he snapped pointing toward his estate room, his icy cold tone sending shivers down her spine.

Immediately Twilight complied.

Skeleton's stare never left the humanized mare, watching with his intense eyes ensuring nothing untoward was to occur. Not that Skeleton expected Twilight to bolt away in a desperate attempt to escape Skeleton's judgement, yet if she did it would not be the first time someone had done something so foolish. With Twilight now stationed in his office Skeleton went to address another issue.

"Now, Discord ple—" Skeleton paused, noticing for the first time the unconscious Trevor on the ground near the wall, "What happened?" He seethed, "and be concise."

"Oh nothing too much or complicated. Human curiosity, random and very powerful magics, concentrated force, and, poof across the hall he goes. I must say he took it like a champ though!" Discord replied, his ever present smirk seemed to grow wider.

"It seems that my hatred of Farway has yet to reach it's limits." Skeleton spat, "Make certain that he is undamaged. There will be dire consequences should he be useless to my plans. Lastly, do tend to the Element of Kindness. I would imagine she is catatonic with how events have transpired"

Discord's answer was nothing more than a silly mock salute.

"Now, to destroy an equestrian princes" Skeleton growled.

Turning on his heels Skeleton marched to his office, slamming his door in righteous anger. No sound followed the close door, silence the only companion for those that yet remained in the p-way.


"Sit" commanded Skeleton, as he stalked across the office.

Twilight had fell into her chair, her hope for surviving this unfortunate series of events faded quickly. Downtrodden, she just hung her head in shame. Skeleton, now rounding the corner of his desk, observed the princess under a critical eye. Her magenta eyes wide in fear, hopelessness and despair. Her hair hung low across her face, random strands of hair stuck to her cheeks, glued their by the trails of tears that were held in gravity’s grasp. One thing Skeleton observed, and brought a sliver of relief, he didn't have to explain away the oddly colored hair and eyes. Farway's blends of magic had effected the genealogy of its inhabitants. As a matter of fact the head of Volcain had fire red irises, and Oaklandus' leader had a dark earthy green natural hair color. Dark violet hair with a magenta and a grey blue stripes would be noted as unique, but wouldn't bring too much attention to the other worldly guest. Only the slight lavender tint might bring questions, but that could be dealt with at another time.

Slowly, and with steely purpose, Skeleton made a show in taking his seat. Each movement slow and methodical, calculated to put Twilight on edge, and feeling every bit as small as she truly was. The whole affair took seconds, but for the two guardians in the room, hours had passed. Finally Skeleton took his seat. Just like the first time they had met, Skeleton lit up a cigarette, once again to the disgust of the purple mare. I am low on cigarettes. If events keep unfolding in more and more unpleasant manners, I will be unable to replenish what I have left. I hope I have enough for now, if I run out, I am worried I'll start acting rashly. He thought exhaling his puff. Now for this woefully incompetent princess.

"Have I made any ridiculous requests?" Inquired Skeleton, his level voice, in complete contrast to the fury he held in his eyes, shook Twilight to her core.

"N-N-No..."

"Have I asked for anything impossible, or unreasonable?"

"N-No."

"Have I asked for anything morally objectionable?"

"No."

"Then explain to me, princess Twilight Sparkle, Why does it seem to me that the royals of Equus ARE INCAPABLE OF LISTENING TO THE SIMPLE REQUESTS I HAVE ASKED FOR THE SAFETY OF OUR RESPECTIVE REALMS!!" Bellowed Skeleton, seething, "DO NOT SEND ANY OBJECT, CREATURE, PONY, GRIFFON, SENTIENT BEING, WITHOUT GAINING MY EXPRESS PERMISSION!! NOT ONLY HAVE YOU FOUR ROYALS VIOLATED THIS DECREE, YOU SEND TO MY WORLD, THE MOST DANGEROUS CREATURE EVER TO HAVE EXISTED IN EQUUS' HISTORY!! YOU HAVE DONE ALL IN YOUR POWER TO DESTROY THIS WORLD. WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY IN YOUR DEFENSE?"

"It...it was an accident..." Twilight whimpered.

"WHAT? CARE TO SAY THAT AGAIN?"

"It was an accident, I swear. All we wanted was peace from Discord's actions. We only meant to send him away from the castle, we never intended to breach the border."

"And my instruction that Celestia was to send you to me alone?"

"She did. I have no clue why or how Fluttershy followed me. She isn't the adventurous type like Rainbow Dash. She's very quiet, reserved, and almost scared of anypony or thing that isn't an animal. She would have never followed me here under her own accord. Something must have happened to cause her to follow me. Most likely another accident.”

“By Fate’s damnable mission. THERE CAN BE NO ACCIDENTS!! You are not some ignorant student anymore princess. Did you forget what I told you during our first meeting? Every action we take causes untold ripples and potential destruction. The actions you royals have taken…” an exasperated sigh escaped Skeleton, “You, all four of you know better then to cast a directionless spell, more so if the casts are virtually the same spell. Worse yet, this directionless spell was cast on DISCORD, a being whose very presence is to illicit trouble. Do any amongst your kind have any semblance of intelligence? Your accident has all but doomed all life on Farway.”

*SNAP!!*

The isolated world that had been Skeleton’s office flickered and drifted away like smoke from fire, what had replace it, however, was horrifying. Before her, Cygnus was bathed in the yellow orange glow of countless fires. Explosions of different hues, violet, cyan, red, green, all indicators of active and passive magic casting. Soldiers, civilians, children, marched toward one another. Opposing sides firing or their weapons all in an effort to slay the enemy. Bodies littered the streets, arcane burns from where the spells hit, rubble crushing the unfortunate souls that had been caught in the collateral damages. Mothers cradled their dead sons and daughters, tears flowing, in an unending cascade of misery. To Twilight, not even the horrors of Tartarus could come close to the atrocities she was witnessing.

“Look familiar princess?

Twilight couldn’t answer, bile rising from her stomach being her only means of response.

“It pains me to admit war is a part of my species. So ingrained into our heritage and upbringing, its comically easy to start war. With only a few well place words I could very well end humanity so thoroughly as to not leave a single trace of their existence behind. I have contemplated doing so more often then I can count.

“The larger the number of people in a group, the more prone to war we become. Ironically unifying and creating only to separate and destroy. This is Caelum, within the next ten years. Fate, the Matriarch for pony kind, tasked me with averting civil war. I had successfully done so before your little accident. But then you four royals had removed any ch—“

A streak of, sickly pale, green energy appeared between the mare and Skeleton, followed shortly by several more. Acting out of instinct, Twilight had ducked down and hugged the earth as closely as she could. Praying to Celestia, Luna, the Matriarch, not to be hit by something so inherently awful as what the Green bolt of the arcane had promised. Calling forth her magic to protect herself in a bubble shield, Twilight shrank in horror. She couldn’t feel her magic. Worse yet, the random fire of magic had sent a bolt heading straight for her, at an angle that if it was successful in striking, the mare would be left fighting just to stay alive. Her hope that Skeleton would step in to save her, was turned to dismay, as, out of the corner of her eye, she saw he had not moved an inch. With no hope left, Twilight forced her eyes shut and braced for the pain she knew was to come. When the bolt was suppose to strike her, she felt nothing. Opening her clenched eyes, Twilight had noticed the bolt had passed through her, no harm done.

“This is only a vision of things to come. No physical harm shall come to you princess.” Skeleton sneered, “Caelum is the first in a series of events that will finalize Farway’s future. Like dominos placed on end, just awaiting the necessary push, to collapse and end life in this realm. If Caelum falls only worse horrors will visit Farway”

*SNAP!!*

The burning city had been removed from them. In its place was an arid desert city. Build from smoothed, almost polished sandstone bricks. Inlayed in intricate and beautiful patterns, were all types of gemstones. Impeccably cut rubies, sapphires, emeralds, diamonds, served to build wondrous murals depicting, what Twilight could only guess, were moments of history. A flash of cyan caught the mares attention, and her jaw dropped in awe. Standing at the heart of the city stood a wondrous, sandstone castle, not to dissimilar to the castle her home town, canterlot, had as an attraction. Yet, such beauty was married by a dark menacing overcast, and frozen in unnatural ice. Windigos? Are they the cause of this? Twilight wondered, briefly. Skeleton just pointed to the center of the mass of sapphire tinted ice, Twilight’s gaze followed. Within the heart of the consuming ice lie a figure in sapphire robes, blueish white hair flowing in the wind shining like a beacon of death.

“Life on Farway ends here. Without the support from Caelum’s navy, King Rawk, eighth of his name, will overtake Terra, forcing it’s newly returned princess to marriage. Desperate to be free from the cruel and tortuous life He will force upon her Isabella Heart will fall to the machinations of the darker side of the Named, Semi-gods if you will. She will ally herself with the Damned, an avatar of those who have been force and unable to avoid their cruel fates, to escape from King Rawk. Those who join The Damned, are forever in his thrall, and Isabella is trapped in an even harsher fate. Unable to cope, Isabella’s magic released without measure, and will encase all of Farway under an unmelting layer of ice. effectively killing all life on the planet.” Skeleton takes a slow, drawn out breath of smoke, letting the information sink in, finally he exhales, “All of this is a result of your accident. Congratulations are in order, I would hazard a guess. You have just killed your first realm.”

Twilight could do little more then cry.

Every action we take, us hold hold the position over the lives of our charges, are long lasting and unforgiving in what horrors in the shadows they cast. I feel this lesson has not taken hold in that supposed mind of yours, even by your elders. Perhaps I should return to Equus, rule as I have for the humans. Remind your solar princess of what happens when you act without thought. Take up my post once again.”

The iced kingdom of Terra faded, and the familiar and now much more welcomed office in place of it. Skeleton took a final hit of his cigarette before putting it out, on the plain glass ash tray laid upon his desk. As he snuffed out the embers, he noticed a letter not there before showing Twilight the current future of Farway. Ignoring Twilight’s empty gaze, Skeleton pick the letter of his desk, deftly flipped it over in his nimble fingers before noting who had sent the letter. Based on the contents of the what was written, Skeleton had his answer to his request. Well, it appears that less punishment shall be meted out.

“What you royals have done can not go without punishment. If only to serve as a reminder of how dangerous accidents truly are. For Luna and Cadence, it shall have to be postponed. I am unable to leave Faraway at present. For Celestia, I will take what she holds dear and place them in grave danger, with her helpless to do anything to protect you all. She will send me the remaining elements no questions asked. Now for you, I th—“

“WHAT!? No you can’t do that! What about if there’s a threat to Equestria that needs the elements to stop? What about the corruption between realms. Why do you have to put my friends in danger? What gives you the Right? What give yo—” Twilight accused, brought out of her melancholy by Skeleton’s threats and demands

SILENCE!” bellowed Skeleton, a bit of spittle spraying the desk, “Discord. That is my right. Out of all the violations of the rules you royals could have done, you brake them with Discord. His chaos only fuels the fires of corruption. It is only his presence to be the only requirement to disrupt and destroy, intentional or not. Discord is a being that should never be beyond an Equus realm. I am being kind in my punishments. Had Falona not protected Discord against such a breach, or not allowed the remaining elements to travel here,” Skeleton gestured to the letter atop his desk, “Equus would be without it’s ruling princess for centuries.”

“The princesses would never give you the elements nor just give up their thrones just because you demand them. I don’t care how powerful you are, They would never hand over Equestria to such a cruel pony, person, as you!”

Skeleton stared for a moment, then laughed. Out of all the reactions Skeleton could have to Twilight’s conviction, His laughter was not one of them. With the raspy and dead voice guffawed, what little backbone she had produced was killed faster then thought could travel.

“Naive fool,” Spat Skeleton, recovering from his laughter, “They already have! Have you never wondered why they call themselves princesses, instead of queens? Celestia sold me her kingdom and charges, in her selfishness, vanity, and arrogance. She is not a paragon of of a self sacrificing, and wise leader. Her sins are grievous and many.

“She…she wouldn’t…”

“You know NOTHING,” Skeleton’s clenched fists slammed against the desk, “You who has not faced the cruel reality of her post, who still holds to her childish beliefs, dare tell me her morals? Let’s see you face the impossible choices, where your knowledge is a burden. In fact what could be a better punishment then to let you face such an impossible choice.

“I will give to you that which you crave, knowledge, and it will stay your feet, and destroy your soul. This is the burden I will award to you, and it you survive with your morals intact… Then I shall listen. Now Dear princess, listen closely to the burden that comes with knowledge.”

Twilight could only shrink back in fear and defeat.

Author's Note:

I really wanted to give you guys something to read. Did I really need to slip the chapter? No... Will it help with the way my chapters are written before I type them out? Definitely. So enjoy.

As a note on the dark scene depicted between Skeleton and Twilight, This is one of about three total dark moments in this story. I needed to further cement just how badly the royals had messed up and the reason behind skeleton's fury. So I needed a brief horrible scene of war and death. Sad to say the events that lead to Isabella incasing her kingdom in ice are not a part of the Border Chronicles, but a part of Borders as a whole for when I actually start making stories outside of FIMfiction Also for anyone who has read my other story NiGHTS: Equestrian Dreams I'm close to finishing the next chapter of that on the rough draft side and hope to post it before the end of the month. So yeah...thats something else to look forward to. :twilightsmile: