• Published 2nd Jan 2015
  • 562 Views, 5 Comments

Border Chronicles: Book 1 Friendship in Chaos - Sirion123



Trevor Fields is a young, up and coming junior officer in Belfiore Academy, Cealum's premier Naval Officer School. He is at the top of the class in grades and fitness, but has no friends. That will all change once he meets a certain spirit of chaos.

  • ...
3
 5
 562

CH 9: Sorority Rules

Location:
R-13 Farway, caelum,
Cygnus, Belfiore academy
2039 PCE (Post Creator Era)


Rainbow shifted uncomfortably, shuffling her shoulder blades hoping to feel something she knew wasn’t there. At this point she would give just about anything to have her wings once again. At first Dash found her new form interesting and kinda cool (fingers were very useful things compared to having to do everything with hooves) but what she was now, versus what she was before coming to the place…Pegasi needed to be in the air. It was quite a certifiable fact that was what they were born for. So if given a choice Rainbow Dash would take her pegasus form over the this “hoo-man” form every time. What did confuse her, and by extension the rest of the girls, was how they moved so naturally, as if they had always been this way.

Everyone, save Fluttershy and Twilight, had been transported to a homely looking place. A quick introduction was made by Skeleton. Applejack, and Rainbow took an immediate distrust of the stallion who called himself the CO of Belfiore. Rarity, being a refined lady, didn’t distrust him, but certainly thought he was…off. Pinkie said nothing, though looked apprehensive, almost saddened. They didn’t have much time to dwell on it for they were immediately rushed of to their bedrooms and told to sleep.

The first five to six days in the academy, all of the girls had Induct, docked, or whatever, Rainbow didn’t pay all that much attention. It’s was the same boring stuff she dealt with already with the Wonderbolts, after she graduated from the reserve tryouts and had her duty station. Their were two extra reason she paid little attention. One and by far the most damning, It was boring. The tournament era stuffs was exciting, the battles and what not, but everything else…The origin of the Named, founding of Caelum, the history of their interactions with Terra and other countries, put Rainbow to sleep faster then an afternoon after she had worked out her new moves. Two, she was incredibly distracted and depressed with her inability to fly. It hurt more then she was ever willing to admit. She did, after all, had a reputation to maintain. Even if no one here knew her yet.

Rarity on the other hand, was absolutely loving every second of being in Farway. Her mane, hair, Rainbow corrected herself, still kept it’s lovingly shade of violet splendor. Little to no effort was needed to keep to its well crafted swirl and shine giving Rarity the look of a model. Her hair even kept the curls in the same style of “magnifique,” as Rarity had called it back home in ponyville. Her curled hair rested both at the small of her back. Two different bangs of hair framed her face, one resting just above her cheek bone, the other on top her udder? Rainbow didn’t really know what to call the massive breasts sticking out of her chest. The fact that Rainbow didn’t have them in any discernible way, only helped Rainbow forget anyway. What ever their called, they seemed like they would throw off my balance anyway…but then…why do I care about them? thought the prismatic, and currently flat chested, girl.

Rarity’s excitement about the world they had found themselves in was that nearly everybody was clothed…all the time. It was an excitement that bordered on fanatic. It wasn’t without some longing, her horn and magic she wished she still had, though her new hands were adequate, that was all they were. Still being stuck in a world were clothes were more or less required had set off the fashionista’s creative spirit. The fact that there were so many cultures and styles of dress she had been briefly exposed to was just a bonus. She could find no words to describe just what she felt, everything that came to mind just felt like it would cheapen the feeling.

Applejack and Fluttershy were fairly neutral about the whole ordeal. Fluttershy feeling more unease at the unknown world and people in it, then what she looked like. Yet, a bold sense of curiosity about the animal life on the world had tempered her fears somewhat. Applejack,, not giving much care either way, just wanted to be home, bucking apples with her family. Still out of everything that could have happened, all the girls held comfort in the fact that none of them had to face this alone. It was something Twilight had taken much solace in.

Twilight unlike the others had vastly conflicting feelings on the whole matter. Curiosity born of wanting to know everything possible, the insatiable scholar in her demanding such knowledge. And a deep sense of guilt of, not only forcing her friends with her to Farway, but what future events were to come and her part she now had to play to ensure what was to pass, passed in the most painless way possible. Her meeting with Skeleton, while terrifying, had nothing on the emotion she had when she left, guilt. Guilt at forcing her friends from their homes for quite possibly the rest of their lives. Guilt with the burden of knowledge, of what events were to come, and what little she could do to stop them. Guilt at the potential lives she had inadvertently ended with nothing more then an “oops.” This hurts so much. Is this how Celestia felt when Luna turned nightmare? thought Twilight.

Though Twilight’s melancholy was quickly explained away to her friends, and they did their best to cheer her up, with little success, only one in their group looked uncomfortable. Pinkie Pie looked like she had taken the bitterest medicine as was unable to rid her self of the taste. She knew full well what her presence in Farway would do, and the unwanted confrontation that was inevitable now. He’s going to figure out who I am before too long. Then he’ll yell and accuse, then grudgingly accept the truth. Yes I do need to come clean, I just wish the drama that is going to come from it was unnecessary. To further complications Farway’s avatar isn’t capable of talking to him directly, else this would all be explained…though the implications of the truth are…unpleasant. *sigh* Suppose it can’t be helped… Pinkie pondered. Out of all her friends she had the biggest secret kept, and the one with the most damage if he couldn’t keep either his anger or tact in check. While Pinkie herself was excited to see this wonderful world before her, She was uncomfortable at what it might cost her and her friends.

And so, late into the after noon, on what was their final day at the specialized indoc for the girls, they weathered on, each accepting the situation as is, but hoping for the possibility of home instead of focusing on what was said. All waiting for the final speaker of the indoctrination of Belfiore, Skeleton.


Skeleton sighed, truly hoping for a break in the tremendously horrifying level of bad luck he was experiencing at such a critical time in Farway’s history. If I ever find Falona before this is over, we’re going to have some words. He thought angrily. He, if he was to be honest, wouldn’t be too harsh with his accusations, or be his usual cold self toward her. He owed Falona, the entity known as Fate to most, too much for saving his love from Skeleton’s stupid naivety. It seems both Harmonous and I have come to understand our failures and responsibilities. What burden truly means. It does not excuse his atrocities, nor will I ever be able to forgive him for what he’s done, for his involvement in my sin. But I understand, were it not for Falona, I fear I would have done the same.

Again Skeleton Sighed. This time, he brought out his pack of cigarettes, quickly snagging one, after the all to familiar *Fla-tink* of his lighter lit up his smoke with practiced ease. After a long stress relieving drag, Skeleton opened the door, and entered the Indoc classroom.

The classroom was a simple affair, thirty or so desks lined up in neat columns and rows. spaced just far enough from each other that a student that didn’t have their required items would have no difficulties in sitting down in the chairs. As it seemed to most of the student body, and the girls sitting currently, found these desk things were designed to be as inconvenient as possible, not to mention uncomfortable. The stiffness of the chairs and the cramped knee room made it difficult to focus on the dull green chalkboard in the front of the room, not to mention the still grey projector like box that the instructors sometimes used to reinforce certain expectations and rules. At the head of the room stood a nice solid oak podium with Belfiore academy’s school crest carved into it’s front.

Six formally equine beings sat at desks that were a hybrid of table and very uncomfortable chair. Before he had entered the room animated discussions were heard, albeit muffled, outside the classroom. Yet the moment his presence was known, the six went dead quiet. The only sounds heard now were the quickened breaths of the girls and the steps Skeleton took. The girls turning their heads to look at the very focused looking man as he stalked toward the podium. Dash who had been slouching early, trying to do the impossible, finding a comfortable position while sitting in the desk, now sat at rapt attention. a foul smoky odor filled the room as Skeleton’s cigarette smoke filtered in.

“Good Evening.” Skeleton’s raspy voice causing them to flinch and shiver, “It appears that I am the final one to greet you to this fair world of theirs…However, that is as far as my curtesy will go.” Confusion colored the girl’s faces, not sure what Skeleton was talking about, “While all but one of you are my guests…I have a set of rules that must be followed implicitly. To Sta—“

“What the hay does Implic…Ipmil…That word mean?” Dash asked, Causing Skeleton to grimace and shoot an angered glare to the Rainbow.

“To follow the rules no exceptions.” snapped Skeleton.

“Oh…” Rainbow replied, albeit quietly.

“Are you quite finished?” Growled Skeleton, smoke billowing out of his nose, filling the room further with it’s repugnant odor, “I have other priorities that have a much greater need of my attention, so it would be preferred to keep this short and brief.” Skeleton took another drag, his freshly lit cigarette now half way burnt, “As I had said, To begin, I must insist with as much authority as I can muster, Do not reveal where you originate from. While other worlders are not an entirely unknown occurrence, I would sooner not have the Named or the church be involved with purely academy affairs.”

Twilight, sheepishly raise her hand, giving it a slight wave as to catch Skeletons attention. Skeleton, took another breath, this time not inhaling that calming smoke he so desperately wanted. He did have to make it last, he only had a few of his vices left…

“Yes, princess?

Twilight shrank under Skeleton’s incredible scowl before giving voice to her question.

“I thought the Named were just a myth on this world. That they were just made up figures the church had made in order to personify the ideal traits of people and demonize the unwanted immoral actions. Are you saying that the Named are actual beings?”

“The Named are very much real, as is their powers, both the good and evil. After what I had shown you when you had first arrived I would have thought you would recognize this fact. Each one of the Named hold the power that is on par with a newly ascended alicorn.”

The girls murmured quietly about the fact before Skeleton cleared his throat, Calling back their attention.

“Now that you have an inkling as to why I wish to avoid such an unnecessary headache, I can continue. Now you will all be issued Items that will be required as part of your stay of, not only this academy, but this world as well. Uniforms, backpacks, writing utensils, basic clothing, shall all be given to you over the course of the next week, before the heritage assembly. Along with being integrated into Belfiore you will be required to follow every guideline listed in Belfiore’s student doctrine.”

Skeleton took the final hit of his cigarette before pulling out a cube shaped ashtray, gently rubbing out the still burning embers on the glass before setting the ashtray on the podium. I only have five left *sigh* This is going to be an impossibly long year.

“Along with the items issued to you, there is one more additional item I require you to wear at all times.” Skelton continued snapping his fingers.

Six simultaneous flashes appeared infant of the girls, followed by simple jewelry boxes in the same place, after the flashes dissipated. Each box was an unassuming uniform shaped cube. The boxes were absolutely identical, the color being to the only identifying factor between them. As a matter of fact, the color of the boxes only served to identify and reinforce which box belong to who. Twilight’s a soft violet, Applejack’s a soft pastel orange, It seemed the boxes were colored to match their original coat colors. But it was what laid inside the boxes that had caught their attention.

Six simple gold bracelets that felt all too known to the girls. Each bracelet had a simple curb chain wrapped around some faux wrist with a single charm shown. Each bracelet was unique, holding a different charm, a charm in the shape of their cutie mark. Twilight’s a star shaped amethyst, Rainbow’s a ruby colored lightening bolt, Fluttershy’s a butterfly shaped alexandrite, Rarity’s a diamond shaped violet flame opal, Applejack’s a heart shaped topaz, and Pinkie’s a balloon shaped sapphire. It seemed a little to coincidental these looked so close to the elements they were all but forced to give up.

“These bracelets have been specially crafted to protect Farway from you. It is to my knowledge you all have face a form of corruption between realms. When your realm started to merge with another, with a dark and evil Celestia’s.” The girls all nodded yes shivering once again, this time remembering how close they come to loosing everything, “These bracelets are designed to filter out you equestrian magic. Minimize the damage your presence here does to the fabric of the borders between worlds. This will allow you to access your unicorn magic safely Ms. Rarity, and you as well, Princess.” Skeleton sneered at the title, gaining a fierce look from Rainbow Dash, “For you Ms Applejack and Miss Pin—” Skeleton’s eyes opened in surprise, briefly before narrowing into a dagger filled look, “Ms Pinkie Pie access to your earth pony magic and endurance. For Ms Dash and Ms Fluttershy, These bracelets will grant you your wings back and allow you to fly. However You must never fl—“ Skeleton couldn’t finish, as Rainbow Dash, had tackle hugged the man with surprising speed.

“Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!” Shouted Dash, tears streaming from her eyes. The one thing she had longed from since arriving being granted. Rainbow squeezed her hug even tighter in excitement that she was going to fly at the first chance she had. Skeleton, stunned by the sudden attack, recovered quickly and tried to get the sobbing girl off of him.

“Miss Dash!” Skeleton stated firmly, it, however, yelled no response,

“MISS DASH!”

MISS DASH!!!” Bellowed Skeleton, Finally gaining the speedster’s attention, “Restrain yourself! I am a married man and this is far beyond appropriate!”

Twilight’s head tilted at the new information about Skeleton, as Rainbow released her embrace, blushing in embarrassment.

“If you could be so kind as to return to your seat. Thank you.” Skeleton’s hand subconsciously neared his breast pocket, toward his pack of smokes, only to realize what he was doing and forcibly move his hand away from the temptation, No, Need to save them for something more appropriate Taking in a deep breath Skeleton continued on, “Yes, These bracelets will allow you to fly. HOWEVER, you are not to fly where you can be seen by either the student body, staff, or populous of Caelum. Is that understood?

Rainbow could only nod yes, animatedly. Fluttershy, not really one for being too far off the ground nodded only once, being perfectly content with not flying at all.

“Now, you all will report to uniform issue at first light, and attend the heritage assembly. Now before I leave you there are two more things I need to inform you of. First, These bracelets contain a small passive charm that makes it so you can speak and read Common as if you were born in Farway.” Skeleton’s emerald eyes turned dark as his attention was turned to Pinkie, “At your convenience, Miss Pinkie Pie, you and I shall have words” Spat Skeleton angrily, “You are dismissed for the day.”

And with that Skeleton turned and left without saying another word.

“Um…Pinkie? What do you think that was about?” Asked Twilight, confused by the anger shown to Pinkie.

“Dunno…Maybe he wants me to throw a “Welcome-to-Farway-and-Caelum-at-Belfiore-HI-NEW-STUDENTS!!!” party?” The party mare replied

“Ah don’ think tha’s what he wanted sugar cube.” Answered Applejack.

“What ever that was about, It did seem he was quite brutish with his statement,” Rarity interjected, “And there’s something else about him too. I can’t find myself able to trust him…Something about him reminds me of Discord…Speaking of…Fluttershy, dear, Do you happen to know where he is?”

“No.” Came Fluttershy’s quiet reply, “He said something about picking up another member of the house…”


It was late into the evening when Daisy arrived at the station. Her simple trip from home to Cygnus a mere few hours ride by train, seemed exhausting if not down right debilitating. The reason for her lack of energy was a simple one. She really didn’t want to return to the academy. There was only one reason she attended Belfiore, One reason she joined the Caelum Navy. It was petty, unwise, and certainly beyond strange and into the questionably moral. Her reason for joining Belfiore was so offer her support to her adopted brother. Daisy held no illusions it was foolish to do so, but after both their fathers disappeared some sixteen years ago, the held solace in each other. If it wasn’t for him, she would still be the antisocial hellion she became after the tragedy. It even gave her her name, Daisy, after his attempts to cheer her up. The irony of what her brother did for her and what she tried to do for him did not escape her. So despite how much she hated Belfiore, time spent with her brother made it worth it.

As the train rolled to a slow stop, Daisy raised her arms. At first it was to stretch, to remove some of the kinks and soreness from staying in the same position for so long, then she reached above her to grab her bags from the overhead storage. Her Backpack, Solid black as per regulations, a soft sky blue sea bag filled nearly to ripping with non-pressed uniform items, civies, blankets, and other such items, her garment bag with her dress whites and blues in what she hoped was still in press condition, after some tricky and clever work, Daisy had all her bags accounted for and slung around her shoulders and in her hands. Everything the was required to have, and a few comforts from home later, she walked, …or rather waddled, off the train.

The train platform was a breath of fresh air, the stuffy stale air of the train being replenished and replaced by the air of the nearby sea. If there was one thing to say about Cygnus it was the smells of the ocean water. Shouts could be heard as the made her way from the train, both giving and gaining space to allowed the crowd to move. Shouts could be heard by the drill instructors as they gathered the new cadets from the train. Suckers, too late to turn back now. You have no idea how much pain you all are going to be in. Daisy thought with a chuckle. Taking a second to look about for her brother, though not expecting to see him. He was often buried in some book on history or combat strategy. So more often then not she had to find her way to the academy on her own, though he made it up by always seeing her off. So when she spotted a conspicuous brightly lit sign with some written scripts she didn’t know in the crowd before the text changed and started flashing the words “Hello Daisy! And I made an oops on the language meet me here!” with a large comical arrow pointing down.

“Odd” voiced Daisy, bemusement evident on her face, “Might and find out what this is about.”

Slowly and with caution Daisy made her way toward the bizarre sign, having some difficulty in managing the crowd with her cumbersome amount of luggage. The short trek was hard, but with her stubbornness and fiery personality she made her way to the person holding the sign.

“Oh good. I was beginning to wonder if you were on this train. It was quite awkward when I did this for the last three ones and nopony knowing who I was looking for. Although, Not having it in your language was more an oversight then an inconvenience. The looks I got were staggering, I think they though me a mad pony…er…man? whatever…” the odd man holding the sign said, “I see your confused. See I’m a new instructor at whatever that school place down the road, as well as the sponsor for a freshly made house. I know the rules forbid this sort of recruitment, leaving it purely up to the students to find applicants. But chaos darn it, this is simply too good an opportunity to miss because of some “rules”. I, Discord, First and last of his name. Do humbly invite you to join the just christened house Equus.”

“Um…er…no thanks…I don’t want to be apart of the academy houses. I have my reasons.”

“Oh, I forgot the clincher, The house is lead by one of Belfiore’s finest young sailors, Trevor Fields.”


Back at Belfiore, in the comfort of his chair, Trevor shivered.

Author's Note:

I'M NOT DEAD!!! And neither are my stories :pinkiehappy:. Sorry this took so long to post, I've been away from any means of typing out the story and posting for practically two months. I've got a new chapter of NiGHTS written so that will be the next post, working of the Fallout story sparingly, and I have one more I'm working on as well...But That one's going to be a long bit before it's posted. ( want to get 4-5 chapters done on it before posting.)

I am also very proud of a goal I've accomplished without a doubt, though It's going to be a little bit of time before FIM actually records it. This is the first novel length story I've every written. I'm about 2-3 chapters ahead in borders on paper, So I know without a doubt I hit 50,000 words so WOOOO!!!! :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy: