• Published 15th Jun 2015
  • 1,213 Views, 9 Comments

Snowy Days and Nights - TheBluWaffle



When Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy get caught in an unexpected snowstorm, it's up to Dash to save a weakened Fluttershy from an icy grave.

  • ...
1
 9
 1,213

Part 2- Wake

Dash was dreaming. That's all she was doing, dreaming. Her body was gone, her mind was blank, her soul was at peace. The outside world was nothing to her in this moment. She wasn't worried about anything. Not dad, not Derpy, not even Fluttershy. Peaceful dreams enveloped her, and for a moment, it seemed like this would be her last dream, her very last breath. She wasn't worried though, not in the slightest. If this was it, then she would welcome it. She would be happy, happy and in peace.

Suddenly, a warmth washed over her, and her dreams disappeared. Her hooves, her mind, and her entire body regained feeling. She took a deep breath, taking in air, sweet air. It felt much better than it ever had to breath. Her hooves started tingling, feeling something covering them. A second later, she sighed again, opening her eyes slightly.

Her sight was hazy, blurred items could be seen around the room. She could hear the loud beep's of the heart monitor, which was stinging to her ears. She tried to move her hooves, but for some reason, she couldn't. She was still very weak, even after sleeping. She moved her head around, trying to spot anyone. No one else was in the room. She had hoped that dad and Derpy would be here but, they weren't, which saddened her deeply.

Her ear perked up when she heard the door open. She glanced over to see who it was, smiling, thinking it was one of them. To her dismay, it was only the doctor. She sighed.

"Hello, Rainbow Dash." He said, walking to her bed.

Rainbow Dash didn't respond. She didn't really want to speak unless it was something extremely important.

He leaned up against the bed, putting his hoof up to her forehead. Dash closed her eyes for a second.

"Hm...you're still a little cold." He picked up his stethoscope around his neck, lying it on her chest. Dash gulped, still not speaking.

"Your heartbeat is mostly back to normal." He put it back around his neck. Dash didn't look directly at him, multiple questions burning in her mind. She just wanted to wait until he had a moment.

He stood back up, walking over to a small counter with multiple cabinets. He opened one and reached inside, feeling for the contents. Dash finally sighed, opening her mouth for a question.

"W...Where's my family?" She asked weakly.

He picked out a bottle of pills, walking back to her. "You're dad and one of your sisters are outside in the lobby. They aren't allowed in the rooms at this time but--"

Dash gasped. "Wait...dad and...Derpy?" She asked.

He thought about the name. "Yes, Derpy Hooves, I believe it was." He nodded.

Dash smiled. They were here, thank Celestia.

"I will say too, you're dad sure was worried. He told me that he spent about 2 hours searching for you two, and he nearly had a panic attack when he couldn't find you."

Dash's smile grew. 'I knew he was looking for us.'

"We almost needed to take him in too. He was shaking like a mad Pegasus, and I wouldn't be surprised if he has a cold." He said.

Dash closed her eyes, imagining them in the lobby.

The doctor held out his hoof and a glass of water. "Take this." Dash accepted it, downing the pill and the water in seconds. She was extremely thirsty.

"C-Could I get...another glass?" She asked him, trying to sit up. The doctor immediately pushed her back down.

"Whoa Rainbow Dash, don't try to sit up alright? Your not strong enough yet." He warned.

Dash begrudgingly stayed down, even though all she wanted was to get up and run around the place, maybe even fly a little.

He sighed. "Look, I know you probably don't want to rest all day, but it's for your own good. You need to regain your strength, especially after seeing how weak you both were.

The word "both" immediately raised another question.

"Flutters...h-how is Fluttershy? Is...is she okay?" She asked, worried like heck.

The doctor didn't answer at first. He seemed a little nervous by the question.

"Please...d-don't hide anything...just, t-tell me..." Dash closed her eyes to prevent the tears. Her mind was divided between okay, and possibly dead.

The doctor sighed. "Look Dash..." He walked back over, leaning against her bed, as if to comfort her. "When you brought her in, her heart was not beating at all, and it looked like she had been dead for about an hour." Dash sighed, fearing the worst. "Honestly Dash, she should be dead..."

Dash gasped. Should? He just said should...does that mean--

He smiled. "Fluttershy is alive, Rainbow Dash. She's very lucky to be alive as well. She was so weak that we really couldn't do much to heal her. If we tried to do anything to her, we might of injured her ourselves. But somehow, someway, we able to get her heart working again. She's resting right now, and it's possible that she might not wake up for a while, but she is alive, so you don't have to worry."

Dash was lost for words. She was now shedding tears of shock and joy, an interesting combo. She closed her eyes, sniffling, basking in that fact: Fluttershy was alive, breathing, sleeping, dreaming. It made her want to fly around the hospital and shout to everyone, especially Derpy and her father.

The doctor put a hoof on her shoulder, sighing. "I can tell that you really care about her Rainbow Dash. That's why I tried everything in my power to keep her warm and alive. The way you burst through the door, carrying her in your hooves like a pure protector, that screamed at me that I had to keep this yellow Pegasus safe, but when I realized her condition, I knew I had to find a way to get her heart working again. It wasn't easy either. Right before you got in here, the heater went out because of this blizzard, so it was like, 65 degrees inside, but, I found a way. Believe it or not, I actually had to put her in front of an oven to get her warm. Luckily, her heart started again, very slowly, but it was there. We quickly gave her a couple of anti-drugs to counter the effects of pneumonia, then we set her in a bed and left her there, and I made sure that her heart was still beating when she got there." He said.

Dash stared at him through her teary eyes. He did all this to safe her sister. He found a way, even through the complications. This pony, was Dash's sole hero right now.

"Th-Thank you..." She said weakly. Then, she did something that she normally wouldn't do to anypony...she found a little extra strength, sat up, and before he could protest, she hugged him tightly, not wanting to let go.

He, of course, was slightly taken aback. He wasn't expecting her to sit up again, after what he said, and he defiantly wasn't expecting her too hug him! Even then, he returned, trying not to hug her too tightly.

"Th...Thank you..." She said again, softer than before. She released her grip, falling backyards on the bed. The doctor led her through so she didn't actually fall backwards, but she was more, being guided backwards.

Dash smiled at him, happy to have his presence in the room. It's almost like she made a new friend within a couple minutes of waking in the hospital. Odd.

He stood up. "Well, I have to leave you now, but I'll be back later. I have to check in on Fluttershy, to make sure that everything is alright. I have a feeling that it should be, but, I just want to be sure." He explained to her.

"No...please do. It, would m-make me feel more...secure." Dash said, feeling slightly sleepy.

"Of course." He started towards the door. "You have a nice sleep, Rainbow Dash..."

"Wait..." Dash stopped him, feeling drowsier. She had to know one thing before she drifted off to sleep. "W-What's your...n-name?" She asked, fading.

He smiled. "Doctor Hooves' the name, Rainbow Dash." He left the room without another word. Dash smiled at the door, before lying her head back down and closing her eyes, letting the power of the drug take her into sleep.

Author's Note:

Title was inspired by the Linkin Park instrumental with the same name.
Notice that I use Dr. Hooves again. Remember that this is way in the past! Dash, Derpy and Fluttershy are all about 12 years old.