• Published 18th Dec 2014
  • 830 Views, 5 Comments

The Princess of the Night: The Sorcerer - theanarchisteire



Ok, this is my first attempt at a fanfic, reviews are encouraged! We all know Nightmare Moon was banished from Equestria, but what if she wasn't simply imprisoned on the moon like everypony thought?

  • ...
7
 5
 830

Necessary Precautions

“The College of Mages,” Gerard read aloud, “a safe haven for sorcerers of all kinds and a receptacle of arcane knowledge. Presided over by the Council of Seven, otherwise known as the Supreme Council. Well,” said Gerard as he closed the book, “they sound like a positively cuddly bunch!”
It had been several days since the College had paid Gerard and Luna a visit. Luna had immediately postponed Gerard’s Elemental training in order to teach him the basics of Symbology. His precise attention to detail made him a natural in the discipline, and he had insisted on helping Luna set up a myriad of protection runes around his land, in case the College tried to send any more representatives.
“I am sorry?” asked Luna, confusion writ on her features, “Cuddly? They sound like the exact opposite of cuddly!”

Gerard looked at her blankly. “It was sarcasm…”
Luna tilted her head slightly to the side as she said “Sar… casm? What is this sarcasm you speak of?”
Gerard’s jaw dropped. “You don’t have sarcasm in your world? Oh you poor, poor people. Our next lesson will have to be ‘An Introduction to Sarcasm’.”
“Of course it will be,” said Luna in an extremely sarcastic tone.
It was Gerard’s turn to look confused. Luna merely laughed, that laugh that sent pleasant shivers up Gerard’s spine.
“Of course we have sarcasm in our world Gerard, do not be silly!”

Just then the sound of an alarm bell halted their conversation in its tracks. It was the signal that magical beings were approaching the perimeter of Gerard’s land. The pair looked at each other.
“You stay here, I will see what is happening.”
“No! It’s you they want, I’m not letting you go out there alone!”
“You know you stand no chance against them!” said Luna, her voice rising now. “Last time you got away with a concussion, but this time I do not think they will have any qualms about hurting you more seriously, or even killing you if it came to that.”
“And if I let you go out there alone they could capture you and take you back to the College to do whatever it is they want to do to you!” Gerard’s eyes narrowed. “I’m going with you, and that’s final.”
Luna sighed, realising the futility of arguing further. She went to Gerard’s writing desk and picked up a black permanent marker.

“Gerard, give me your arm,” she said, holding out her hand.
Gerard complied. Luna grabbed his arm and yanked up his sleeve as there was a large bang in the distance.
“They are trying to take down the shield,” muttered Luna as she began to draw a symbol on Gerard’s forearm.
“And what are you doing exactly?” asked Gerard, trying not to squirm.
“I am attempting to make up for your lack of training in Elemental magic by drawing the symbols for the elements on to your skin. In theory, if you tap them, you should be able to use them like normal Elemental powers,” she muttered, finishing the second symbol and starting on his other arm.

“In theory?”
“Yes.”
“So it’s never been done before?”
“No.”
“How do you know if it’s going to work then?”
“Trust me Gerard, it will work.”
“What if, for the sake of argument, it doesn’t work? What’s the worst case scenario?”
Luna hesitated, avoiding Gerard’s eyes.
“What will happen Luna?” he asked softly.
“It will most likely kill you,” she whispered softly, looking anywhere but into Gerard’s eyes.

“But you’re sure it’ll work?”
“Ninety per cent sure.”
Gerard looked in to Luna’s eyes and nodded. “Ok, I trust you.”
Luna finished drawing the last symbol and put the marker away.
“Are you ready for this?” she asked, holding Gerard’s hand.
Gerard was very keenly aware of how their fingers were intertwined as he gulped and said:
“Yes.”

In a flash Luna and Gerard stood on the edge of Gerard’s estate, where the road passed through an ornate set of gates, topped with two eagle statues. Just outside these gates stood eight men and women, all dressed in sharp suits. All wearing silver pentagrams. One woman’s hands glowed with a green energy, but when she noticed the two standing there, the glow faded, and her hands dropped to her sides. One of the sorcerers stepped forward. His slicked back dirty blonde hair was very familiar.
“Why hello again!” he said, smiling at Gerard and Luna. “How are the two lovers on this fine morning?”

Luna and Gerard stiffened simultaneously.
“We are not lovers,” muttered Luna, blushing.
“Hit a nerve, have I?” smirked the American. “No matter. As you can see, we have you vastly outnumbered. Our request is the same. All you have to do is hand over that beautiful woman there so we can run some tests. And you, Gerard, is it?”
Gerard bristled. “How do you know my name?”
“Our scryers found it. It seems you forgot to include mental barriers along with this shield. Anyway, as I was saying, you can do whatever you want. Why, you could even come to the College and continue your magical training there.”
“And let you experiment on Luna? I think not,” said Gerard, taking a threatening step forward. He was now at the very edge of the shield.

The assembled mages laughed.
“And what,” the American asked, his eyes glinting dangerously, “are you going to do to stop us? Use some of that pitiful magic of yours? Distract us by dying loudly?” he took a step closer. “You. Are. Nothing.”
Gerard bristled, advancing further. He was now on the other side of the shield. He was aware of Luna standing behind him, of the assembled mages readying their magic. He ignored all of this though as he tapped his forearm and flung it wide. A shard of ice about a foot long erupted from his palm, striking the cocky American mage in the shoulder. The force of the blow flung him back, blood spurting from his brand new wound.

Suddenly everything was happening too fast. The other sorcerers moved, preparing to unleash their magic. The woman’s hand glowed and a beam of light shot towards Gerard, who tapped the earth symbol and raised his arms, causing a wall of rock and dirt to shoot up in front of him. He was acting completely on instinct, his only motivation to protect Luna and not die in the process.

Luna flew past, having sprouted wings from her back and sporting a long horn on her forehead. She fired an energy blast of her own, hitting the female sorcerer in the leg. She screamed in agony as everything below her knee melted away, leaving only a stump. The wound was immediately cauterised, but Gerard did not think the woman would be thankful for small mercies. He lowered his shield and threw a ball of fire at the mage aiming at Luna. The man wheeled and screamed in agony, and Gerard sent a gust of air towards him, snuffing out the flames. The act of mercy had the unfortunate side effect of blowing the man in to a hedge, where he became entangled.

While Gerard chuckled at his predicament, the man did not seem as amused. Gerard’s laughter was cut short as someone barrelled into him from the side, knocking him to the ground. He looked up as the American’s fist connected with his jaw, slamming his head into the dirt. Gerard looked up, dazed, as the mage drew back for another punch. He tried to retaliate with a punch of his own, which the man brushed away with ease. He slammed his fist down and Gerard heard an unhealthy crack, warm liquid suddenly covering his face. He tried to focus, but his head continued to spin and blood continued to pump from his nose. He reached up and found the man’s wounded shoulder. In a moment of clarity, he pushed his fingers in to the wound, causing the American to scream and fall backwards, off of Gerard.

There were cries of “fall back!” and flashes as one by one, the group’s teleporter disappeared and reappeared, taking another mage with her each time. Last was the American, who looked at Gerard.
“This isn’t over.”
Then, in a flash of light, Luna and Gerard were left alone. Gerard attempted to stand as Luna’s horn and wings disappeared.
“Well, at least we know the symbols work,” said Gerard, attempting to stem the flow of blood with his sleeve. Luna limped over to Gerard, pulling his arm away and inspecting his nose.
“You’re hurt,” stated Gerard.
“It is nothing. You, on the other hand, are bleeding everywhere.”
Gerard shrugged her off.
“I’m fine, it’s only a broken nose. Let’s get home and see what’s wrong with you.”

***

Gerard ordered Luna to sit as he held a clump of tissues to his bleeding nose. It hurt like hell, but it was not his most pressing concern. He knelt down and lifted Luna’s dress, examining her lower leg. What struck him first was how smooth and powerful they looked. Following quickly behind that was horror. There was a deep gash several inches long on her calf. Gerard swore as he gently touched the edge of the wound. Luna gasped in pain and he quickly withdrew his fingers.
“Gerard, you must disinfect the cut before I can heal it,” insisted Luna.
“Ok,” said Gerard, discarding the clump of bloodied tissues and grabbing the disinfectant.

“You’d think healing magic would have something to disinfect things…” Gerard muttered as he gingerly began to apply disinfectant, wincing every time Luna gasped in pain. He tried not to stare at Luna’s legs, a difficult task, considering he was cleaning one of them. He was suddenly thankful for the length of Luna’s dress, and the fact that the cut was on her lower leg.
“Yeah, you’re ‘thankful’,” whispered a voice in his head sarcastically. “You can’t lie to me, you know you’re wishing the cut was a bit higher.”
“No,” Gerard replied internally, “I wish it wasn’t there at all!”

Luna jerked her leg back sharply as Gerard pressed too hard against the gash.
“Sorry, sorry!” exclaimed Gerard, silently chastising himself for not paying closer attention to what he was doing.
“It is ok,” Luna assured him. She focused, and the wound started to close slowly, the skin zipping up, not even leaving the faintest hint of a scar. Luna’s brow furrowed, sweat forming on her skin. Gerard stared in awe as the gash finished closing over, leaving her leg smooth and unblemished once more. Gerard ran his fingers gently over the now healed skin, causing Luna to shiver slightly.
“Gerard, could you please carry me to my room? I am feeling quite weak after that.”
Gerard pulled Luna’s dress back over her legs, resisting the sudden urge to look. He stood, broken nose forgotten, and picked her up, slowly making his way towards her room. When he arrived he lay Luna gently on her bed, pulling the covers gently over her. He then tapped the fire symbol, lighting the lavender incense placed around the room. He returned to Luna’s bedside, finding her already asleep. He gently leaned down and kissed her forehead.

***

He returned to the living room and sat on his favourite armchair, alone with his thoughts. It was not something he enjoyed.
“You like her!” teased the man sitting in the chair opposite Gerard.
“You’re not supposed to be here,” muttered Gerard, avoiding eye contact. The man looked almost exactly like Gerard, only… darker, somehow, with fiery red eyes.
“Oh, you poor thing,” mocked the man, “are your pills not working again? How terrible for you, and how fun for me.”
“Shut up,” muttered Gerard through clenched teeth. “Marek, just go away!”
“Why? Are you afraid I’m going to mess things up between you and Luna? Please, as if that would ever happen,” scoffed the man, Marek.

“Stop…” moaned Gerard, cradling his head in his hands.
Marek leaned forwards in his chair, a look of sadistic glee on his face. “You think that just because you can cast a few spells that she’ll fall for you? You’re pathetic!”
“Please… just go away…” Gerard was trembling now, tears beginning to fall from his eyes.
“The American was right. You. Are. Nothing,” hissed Marek, standing over Gerard now.
“STOP! JUST STOP!” screamed Gerard, pitching off his chair and curling up on the floor, sobbing openly now.
There he lay, murmuring softly as Marek’s hateful laughter filled his head.

Author's Note:

So I hope you liked this chapter, especially the last paragraph, it was so fun to write. As always, feel free to put any compliments or criticisms in the comments section.

Comments ( 1 )

Wut an american mage? Dont make me laugh!!

Login or register to comment