• Published 13th Dec 2014
  • 1,707 Views, 65 Comments

My Fair Draconequus - JLBDreamer



Discord has to prove that he’s reformed by behaving himself at the New Era Gala. Its up to Fluttershy, Twilight and the rest of the Mane Six to make sure he’s ready but is the task impossible for the Lord of Chaos?

  • ...
1
 65
 1,707

Prologue

Princesses Celestia and Luna sat enjoying a lovely spread of cakes and tea in the royal dining room discussing nothing in particular. It wasn’t very often that they were able to afford merely enjoying each other’s company in peace and calm.

“Luna, the lunar eclipse is scheduled soon, isn’t it?” the elder alicorn princess asked serenely sipping the last of the liquid from her levitating cup.

“Yes, we plan to make it a magnificent spectacle to celebrate the new era of calm and unity we are entering.”

Celestia nodded noticing the levitating tea pot, that she distinctly remembered neither she or her sister touching with magic in the last few minutes, refilling her drained cup from the corner of her eye. She decided to ignore it for the time being and addressed her sister once again. “I was considering holding a gala that night with your eclipse as the main event. After the recent troubles Equestria has faced it will help to lift everypony’s spirits. What do you think?” She turned to her sister only to see a bemused expression on her face which no doubt had to do with the familiar chaotic energy she noticed winking into the room.

“Oh I think it’s a sappy idea,” Discord said levitating a cup and saucer to his place at the table “but you ponies love your galas.” He pretended to ignore the two princesses, Celestia’s surprised and Luna’s disapproving glares were priceless but he knew how Luna hated being ignored, as he levitated the teapot to fill his own cup.

“What is thou doing here Discord?” the night princess demanded in a loud imperious tone.

“What does it look like? I’m here to enjoy a cup of tea with friends of course,” he said mirthfully downing both the tea and the vessel that held it in one gulp. “You know the perfumed aroma of this tea is very good. I didn’t used to get the whole tea party thing but Fluttershy finds some interesting brews and it opens the way for meaningful conversation. Another cup ladies?”

When fresh steaming cups appeared out of thin air in front of the three occupants of the table the atmosphere, to the Draconequus’ delight, became equal parts awkward and tense.

“I was meaning to spend some quality time with Luna so unless you have another reason to be here Discord…” Celestia began before Discord rose abruptly from the table pounding his eagle talon upon it cutting her short.

“You know you really know how to make somepony feel unwanted. I was behaving myself too. I could have given the cups and saucers legs or made it rain tea from cows. Oh wait! I still can!” Discord cracked his knuckles dramatically and ended pressing his palms together with glee. “What should I do first?” he chuckled insanely as the teapot on the table suddenly grew a horn and mane from the curve in its spout, a pair of wings from its sides and a tail replaced the handle. “Oh look it’s the newest alicorn princess. Just look at how delicate and refined her porcelain complexion is!” He finished his masterpiece giving it four legs and a tea party themed cutie mark. “It’s the Princess of Tea and Conversation!” The teapot began flying freely around the room.

The elder alicorn quelled her unease because she had learned it was the best way to deal with the chaotic beast currently baiting she and Luna for the sake of his own amusement.

“I appreciate you are extending your paw in friendship but a little notice before you decide to join us is the considerate thing to do,” she said patiently while ducking as the Princess of Tea and Conversation buzzed her from above.

Luna, who couldn’t understand her sister’s ridiculous quest to reform the Lord of Chaos, decided to take a different tactic. “Discord thee cannot materialize in and out of any room in the palace unannounced as you please. Stop your foolish antics at once!”

Discord was really starting to tire of the pony royal family’s lectures. It had been bad enough that Celestia had summoned him constantly to complete tasks attempting to teach him what she thought were valuable lessons before the Tirek incident but now that she had clipped his wings and wanted him to stay on the castle grounds until she felt he’d learned his lesson he really was loosing his patience. At first he’d been happy to stay inside and do as ordered. He thought it wouldn’t be long before they saw how serious he was about reforming this time, but now that 3 months had passed his pent up energy was broiling with disquiet. Its not that he didn’t understand Celestia not trusting him at first but her continued skepticism was not warranted. Luna, for pony’s sake, was almost hostile even when he’d tried lightening her mood with a few harmless tricks.

“Luna,” he said with a grin appearing next to her chair “I certainly can appear wherever I want in the castle as I have proven just now. Of course if you meant I shouldn’t you probably are correct. Yes, yes glower all you want miss archaic moon princess but you know I’m right.” He next appeared next to the sun princess. “Celestia, I thought you inviting me to stay in the castle was a sign of your trust and friendship, but now you ponies are telling me I’m not welcome in your presence. I guess I was wrong.” He snapped his claws and the teapot became a normal vessel again and plummeted crashing to the table shattering. Take that Celestia. I hate how you insist I’m your guest when it’s obvious you actually intend to keep me prisoner.

“Discord you are welcome to join us in activities on the condition, the same that all must observe, that you follow our rules of conduct,” Celestia stated raising a hoof to stop her sister from an outburst. “You must either be invited or ask permission first.”

“Rules!” he mimed a gagging reflex. “Chaos doesn’t follow rules or set appointments.” The teacups he had previously materialized vanished as he snapped his claws.

“Thou were wrong to welcome this creature Celestia. He doesn’t belong here. He will never truly reform.” Luna stood preparing to exit the room as Discord stuck his tongue out at her.

“Luna,” the older alicorn said in a gentle tone “all indications from his recent actions show that he has turned over a new leaf. Surely he deserves the opportunity for a fresh start just as you did?”

Celestia then turned her gaze to the chaotic being watching their argument with an unmistakable glint in his eye as he floated in mid-air with his legs crossed and one talon resting on his chin. Oh, of course you are enjoying the fact you’ve caused a slight confrontation between us but I’ve lived long enough to understand your head games. “Discord surely you understand friendship means respecting each other’s boundaries?”

“Well yes,” he said flopping his ears down slightly “I do know I must do that. I am respecting that. If I didn’t I’d have us having a tea party on the ceiling. You don’t give me any credit at all Celestia.”

The night princess frowned. “Thee must earn respect and trust. This must not be surprising after thy recent betrayal.”

“That again! Are you going to keep bringing that up?” the Draconequus said empathically. “Its in the past. I mean, even Fluttershy has forgiven me and since she was really my only true friend at the time she’s the only one that has the right to be mad about it.”

“It was only 3 months ago that is not a long time,” Luna insisted.

Discord’s eyes flashed dangerously as he materialized a calendar that floated inches from the night princess’ nose. It had a large red circle around a date labeled ‘Tirek’s Defeat” on the page indicating it was exactly three months ago. “Regardless, it’s in the past Luna, as in, not the present!” To emphasize the point all of the calendar days were magically crossed-off one by one and the pages unfurled through each month with a flourish that he deliberately made sure brushed the alicorn’s nose.

Celestia tried not to sigh in exasperation but only partly succeeded. She had come to understand over the last few months that despite him truly trying to reform Discord would always be unpredictable and try to push ponies over the edge in some fashion. She couldn’t truly blame him for that was his nature and she had been keeping him on a tight leash lately. “Discord is trying his best Luna. Change takes time.”

“Ha you see Luna! Celestia understands me! I knew I didn’t waste that bouquet of flowers.” He found himself smiling just a little bit for some unknown reason. “Not that I really care what you think of me Celestia,” he hurriedly added trying more to convince himself than anypony else he really hadn’t changed all that much.

“Discord,” Celestia addressed the Draconequus “you must continue to make changes and over time more will accept you. Once we are certain of your rehabilitation you will be given the freedom you desire.”

“Time-Schime,” Discord grumbled pulling away from the princess “nobody ever notices when I’m good. They only notice when I’m causing chaos.”

The older alicorn’s eyes shined for a moment. “Then I’ll give you a chance to show what you’ve learned to the best in Equestria. Discord you are hereby invited to the New Era Gala. What better opportunity could you find to show you have entered a new cycle in your life than to celebrate a new cycle of nature?”

Discord stood slack-jawed in shock taking a moment to recover. “You want me to go to your little ball?” A neon question mark appeared over his head.

“Sister that is not wise. I doubt the Draconequus, even on his best behavior, could not disrupt the festivities.”

“I can too behave Luna!”

“Doubtful…”

“What do you want to bet? Hmm…” he practically hissed.

“A bet?” Celestia was only partly surprised he wanted to turn her olive branch into a game.

“We do not bet.” Luna snapped. “It is beneath us.”

“Not even if say….” Discord said scratching his chin in midair before he brightened and declared, “what about if I promise never to set hoof, talon or paw in your wing of the castle ever again if I cause one teensy-weensy mishap at your Gala?”

Celestia smiled. “What do you say Luna? I think it’s a good idea.”

“What doest thou mean sister?”

“I think it would be an excellent motivator for him to make changes and I know his offer must be a little tempting even for you.”

“Very well,” the moon princess said “if you succeed I will never again complain if you materialize without notice in any room in the castle.”

“It’s a deal Luna. “

Celestia could see by Discord’s body language he was still unhappy. “Discord, I hereby allow you to leave the castle grounds to seek out the help you need to learn what you must do to meet your goal.”

Though he was satisfied he’d made a small victory Discord still felt unbearably restless so her statement was a great relief.

“See you all at the Gala then. Ta ta!”

The two sisters stared at the spot the chaotic being once occupied in silence.

“Well this should be interesting,” Celestia said with a good-natured laugh.

***

Fluttershy worriedly skidded to a halt in the middle of the meadow glancing around the clearing. “Oh Angel…” she sighed. “I’m so very sorry but you must take your medicine. Please come out!”

Seeing a rustle in the bushes the mare rushed over and gently pulled the branches apart. She gulped seeing a pair of red eyes staring back at her through the dark hole.

“Hello Fluttershy!”

“Eep!” she cried falling back covering her eyes with her hooves.

The owner of the crimson eyes, which were now their normal yellow and red combination, suddenly appeared hanging over her dangling an angry Angel Bunny by his ears. “Is this what you were looking for?”

“Discord?” the Pegasus asked timidly peeking out between her hooves.

“The one and only,” he said proudly with a wink. “Now where do I put this bunny? In a cage, a trap or a stew pot?”

Angel bunny chattered angrily at the Draconequus swinging futilely at the paw that held him aloft.

“Angel that’s not nice! Discord was just joking,” Fluttershy said fluttering up to the proper height to look the rabbit in the eyes. At least I hope he was. She really hated the fact that her best animal friend and best friend couldn’t get along.

“Ah you know me so well, Flutters dear.”

“You can let him go Discord,” the mare said in a sad tone.

Discord shrugged and released the bunny that was promptly caught mid-fall by the hovering pony.

“Now look at all the trouble you’ve caused,” she scolded the rabbit flying into the house with her charge.

Discord sighed knowing it was better to wait for the pony to finish whatever she was doing and poofed himself to her couch. He was hoping for a warmer reception from Fluttershy. Why, she hasn’t even offered me a hug.

“Now just take your medicine Sweetie, like a good bunny,” she crooned setting him on her coffee table and then filling a teaspoon with a greenish looking liquid.

Angel bunny screwed up his face, turned his head to the side, and crossed his forelegs over his chest. Discord cleared his throat causing both pony and rabbit to look in his direction. “Do as Fluttershy says pipsqueak,” he said leaning back in the couch drumming his fingers and smirking menacingly “unless you’d rather your ears be replaced with horns.”

Fluttershy shot Discord a disapproving look but didn’t complain because Angel grabbed the spoon from her and took his medicine before running off.

“It’s been awhile Fluttershy my dear,” Discord said with a grin reclining on the sofa. “Three months since I’ve popped in on you, if I’m not mistaken?" Discord of course knew full well how long it had been but he didn’t want to sound like he’d missed the yellow Pegasus as much as he had.

“Well,” she started averting her eyes as her voice trailed off gradually, “I-I wasn’t expecting you to visit too often.” The truth was that for Fluttershy the last three months had been miserable. While her other friends seemed to have put the whole ordeal with Tirek behind them she’d found herself haunted by Discord’s betrayal. Her chest tightened just thinking about it and the doubts that she’d been trying to ignore began bubbling up to the surface now that Discord had finally visited her.

“Well the Princesses are watching my every move and I didn’t want to take liberties and impose on you.” Discord was somewhat upset she wouldn’t look at him. She was acting almost like she used to, before their countless letters, picnics, tea parties and adventures and he felt a knot in his stomach begin to form. “Are you upset with me?”

“Its just…” she started before hiding behind her mane and starting to sniffle.

At that moment Discord was resolved to do whatever he had to do win her confidence back. “Let’s deal with the Ursa Major in the room, shall we? You still don’t trust me even though you said you forgave me.”

The yellow Pegasus cringed. “Its not that so much. Its just hard to feel so close to you, like I used to, I’m sorry.”

Discord felt an uncomfortable tightness in his chest as the liquid drops that had been gathering in her eyes slowly began to leak down her cheeks. Instantly he transported beside her snaking his body around and tipping her face to look up at his with a single talon.

“Look Fluttershy I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings. When I said your friendship wasn’t enough I didn’t mean you were lacking. I meant I thought I wanted what I used to have. You do know I used to rule Equestria?” She nodded as he released her chin. “Well I thought if I had a choice between friendship and ruling again I’d rather have the power but I was wrong.” He found the pony’s lack of response disturbing. “I found when I was betrayed I wasn’t really as upset about loosing my power, it was the betrayal. So I know how you feel.”

“You-you think so?” Fluttershy asked softly.

“Yes I do.”

“Well you don’t.”

“Fluttershy….” Discord began nervously “my dearest friend…”

“Don’t you ‘my dearest’ or ‘my friend” me Mister!” she popped up flapping inches from his face. “After all the time I spent on tea parties and letters! I never complained when you suddenly popped in and scared me half to death! I never complained when you rearranged the animal houses or made my furniture come to life.” Discord cringed. “I never complained because I thought you were my friend!”

“You were… you are!”

“Then why did you ignore me for three months after I forgave you for trying to take over Equestria?” The Pegasus sank down to the floor and the flood of tears she’d been holding back burst forth.

“No don’t cry Fluttershy," he begged in defeat. “I-I’m sorry. I know I really messed up this time. I don’t blame you if you don’t want to see me ever again but I really don’t want that to be the case. Your friendship means more to me than anypony’s.”

“Really?”

The Draconequus thought a moment. Though it was distasteful he had to swallow his pride if he wanted to be back in the pony’s good graces. The single bouquet had worked well on Celestia but he had to make sure Fluttershy forgave him. He snapped his fingers and the house was filled with flowers. The pony lifted her head and blinked at the apologetic display in surprise.

“Fluttershy I wasn’t sure if you’d welcome me back. I missed you. You are the best friend I’ve ever had.” He bit his lip uncomfortably. He was the Lord of Chaos for crying out loud so why was he willing to grovel just to win back one tiny, yellow Pegasus' friendship?

“All I wanted was a genuine apology,” Fluttershy said with a gentle smile and a gentle hoof on his arm.

“So you forgive me?”

“Yes,” she nodded.

The Draconequus swept the pony up into a joyously fierce hug. “Oh I knew it! That’s why you are my favorite pony of anypony in Equestria Fluttershy!”

“I…can’t...breath…” Fluttershy gasped.

He loosened his grip, without dropping her, with a slight blush and cleared his throat while looking away trying to hide it. He’d shown her far too much vulnerability already.

“So now that we’ve made up how about you help me with a teensy little bet I made with Princess Luna?” He asked when he had recovered his composure.

“What?” she asked leaning back to better see his face.

“She bet me that I couldn’t behave myself during a boring party their royal stuffinesses are planning.”

“Oh my…” Fluttershy said. She tried to picture the Draconequus at an event like the Grand Galloping Gala and he just didn’t seem to fit.

“I’m sure I can manage with a little bit of help from you, my dear, sweet Fluttershy.” He said smoothly batting his eyes while extending his lashes for greater effect.

“Well I don’t know a lot about royal manners. Maybe Twilight would be better, or Rarity, they know a lot more than I do when it comes to balls and fancy parties.”

“Twilight lectures me almost as much as Celestia and well, I’m not so sure the others like me very much.”

“I could go with you to talk to them, if you like.”

“I insist you do. “ He informed her.

“How about some tea while you tell me all about it?"

“I thought you’d never offer darling Fluttershy.” The Draconequus returned her sincere smile with one of his own feeling truly content for the first time in three months. The pony that he still cradled in his arms threw her front legs around his neck and hugged him. He really couldn’t understand why this particular equine made him feel so warm and fuzzy inside with her attention and affection. What he was certain of was their bond hadn’t yet been broken beyond repair and that made him a very happy Lord of Chaos.

Author's Note:

This is my first MLP Fanfiction. My first fic in a long while, period, and its exciting to get back to sharing with a fandom I enjoy! Constructive criticism and questions are welcome. This will be a six part series and updates will be about once a week.

** Edit 2-15-14- I found a few errors a spot or two I thought I could improve the sentence structure and word use over the last few days so I've made some small revisions. I'm sort of a chronic reviser and often do this. I suppose I'm a bit of a perfectionist. lol.