• Published 23rd Nov 2014
  • 1,504 Views, 24 Comments

A Free Spirit in Ponyville - HalfAngelHuman



Free Spirit is not like other Changelings. He's a Half-breed Changeling. Exiled by the Empire, he was forced to find a new home, the kingdom of Equestria. But will he be accepted in a place that is on the high alert on Changelings?

  • ...
5
 24
 1,504

A Free Spirit in Ponyville Part 1

Author's Note:

This is my first fanfic ever! :pinkiehappy: Criticism is welcomed. I hope you enjoy it.

Free Spirit stumbled his way through the Everfree forest, cuts and bruises covering his little body. Celestia’s setting sun was the only thing that drove him forward, other than need to find shelter. As he followed the nature-made trail, his mind couldn't help but remind him why he was in this predicament in the first place…

You're a disgrace to the Changeling name…

Spirit shook his head, trying to dispel the painful memories.

Filthy half-breed…

Tears began to well up in his light-blue eyes. Why did they have to keep reminding him that he was a “half-breed”? He had no family, no one to love him. The others…they wouldn’t even acknowledge him as a Changeling. All they saw was an impure being.

“It’s because of this stupid heart I was born with, isn’t it?” he thought to himself. “If only I wasn’t born with this wretched heart, maybe...maybe if I wasn’t a hybrid, they would’ve let me stay...” As if to add to his misery, his mind dived deeper into his memories, retrieving the memory that tortured him the most.

Five Months Ago

Free Spirit stood before the Changeling Counsel, fearful of his life. Whenever somepony was summoned to the Counsel, it was never good. But what made Spirit so scared was not the fact that he now stood in front Counsel, it was the fact that Queen Chrysalis herself was present in this meeting. “Half-breed Free Spirit,” Chrysalis began, “You stand before the Changeling Counsel, for we have found you a threat to the Changeling Empire.”

“W-what!? What do you mean ‘a threat’!?” Spirit interrupted.

“SILENCE! You shall speak when told to! Understand?” Chrysalis boomed.

“Yes, my Queen. Forgive me for my disrespect.” Spirit quickly replied, knowing fully well that it would be unwise to get on the Queen’s bad side.

“You are forgiven, half-breed.” Chrysalis said. “Now, as I was saying, we have found you to be a threat to the Changeling Empire. You know what the Hive Mind is, right?”

Spirit’s fangs pinched together in slight irritation. Just because he was a half-breed doesn’t mean he didn’t know what the Hive Mind was. The Hive Mind was the collective consciousness that connected all the Changelings in the hive together under one mind, hence it was dubbed the Hive Mind. “Yes, my Queen.” came the response.

“Well, we have discovered that you are not connected to the Hive Mind. You seem to be a “dead line”, as it seems. You’re also free thinking, another problem. Because you're not connected to the Hive Mind, we cannot look into your mind, so we have no idea what could be floating in that head of yours. Do you understand the implications?” Chrysalis explained.

“Yes, My Queen. But I would never-”

“We can’t be sure. So I hereby banish you from the Changeling Empire.” Chrysalis ordered. “You are to leave immediately. If you return, you will be treated as an enemy of the Empire and killed on sight. Any objections?” She asked the other council members. No objections were given.

“B-but! Please, give me a chance! Please!” Spirit begged, taking a half step forward. His only answer was a magical bolt landing in front of of his feet, stopping him in his tracks.

“Leave now. Or the next blast will go through your head.” Chrysalis threatened, horn still smoking.

Backing away from the small crater the attack had done, Spirit stared forlornly at his ex-Queen, tear spilling from eyes. Without any further words, he turned around and ran out the door.

By the time Free Spirit came to, the last flickers of the sun had just went out. “Oh no,” he gasped. “Oh no, oh no, oh no! Great, now it’s dark and I haven’t even found a cave yet…” He started to panic, prancing in place. “Darn it all! Well... looks like I’m sleeping in a tree tonight...again.” As he flew up towards the nearest tree, he saw something out the corner of his eye. “Is that..light?” He wondered. Changing plans, he glided towards the beacon. “If it is light, then that means there’s a house, which means someone is living in it, which means that someone might have food! And on top of that, it means SOCIAL ACTIVITY! WOOHOO!!!” And with that, he sped off to the light source.

“There you go, Angel. Now, eat up and off to bed with you.” Fluttershy said to the little bunny, handing him a carrot. Angel surprisingly listened to Fluttershy, taking the carrot and scampering off to his basket. “Wow, no fuss this time.” Fluttershy said to herself, amazed. She turned around to go upstairs to do the same. “It’s so peaceful tonight.” She thought, closing her eyes.

SOCIAL ACTIVITY! WOOHOO!!!”

Startled by the sudden outburst, Fluttershy flipped right out of her bed, landing face first. “Owww.” She said, rubbing her injured muzzle. “W-w-what in Equestria was that noise?” The yellow pegasus whimpered. “That couldn’t have been Pinkie Pie. Even she wouldn’t be up at this hour.” As she started to ponder the mystery of the of the voice’s owner, she heard someone knocking on the front door. “How could that be?” She wondered, making her way to the door.

“W-who is it?” She asked cautiously behind the door.

“I’m just looking for a place to stay for the night, that’s all. If you don’t mind that is.” The stranger answered.

That voice…

“Wait, are you the one I heard shouting social activity?” Fluttershy questioned.

“You heard that? Oops, my bad. I must have woken you up. I’m so, so sorry if I did.”

“It’s alright.”

“...Sooo?”

“Sooo what?”

“So, may I spend the night here?” The stranger asked again.

“...I don’t know.”

“Please, I mean you no harm. You see, I’ve been traveling alone for quite some time now and I don’t have any money. Just let me stay for the night and I’ll be on my way.” The stranger pleaded.

“...Okay. But don’t try anything funny.” Fluttershy agreed, opening the door.

And what she the saw gave her more of a fright than the stranger’s outburst a few minutes ago. Standing in front of her, was a Changeling. Its light blue eyes staring back into her soft blue ones. Its pincer-like fangs that were on full display were pinching together in joy. To Fluttershy, it was the Angel of Death.

“Oh thank you so much! I promise i’ll find a way to make it up to you!” The Changeling cheered.

“Y-y-y-our a C-c-c-changeling!?” Fluttershy squeaked.

“Yeah, is something wrong?” he said.

“C-c-c-c-changeling…” And with that, she fainted.

“Hm? Miss? Are you okay?” Spirit said, nudging her body.

“...Yeah something is wrong.”