• Published 22nd Nov 2014
  • 533 Views, 15 Comments

Secret OC Origins Compilation - Jeweled Pen



A compilation of random one shot stories for different OCs.

  • ...
1
 15
 533

Vanilla Mocha 01

A thick, brown envelope, nearly bursting with its contents, was shoved haphazardly into a door slot. It dropped onto the ground with a loud thump. A moment later a small blue unicorn picked it up in her magic, grumbling softly as she walked back towards her desk across the lobby. “Door is unlocked, do they really have to do this every time?”

She walked back across the room and sat behind her desk, looking at the package and then at a list of names. “Okay, for a Miss... Mocha. Ah! Wonderful.” She trotted out from behind the desk and made her way down the hall attached to the lobby and into a small breakfast room. A few ponies were sitting about and eating breakfast, though one mare in particular caught her eye.

A white unicorn with medium brown hair, she had a golden star as her cutie mark. The only thing she wore was a golden watch over her hoof. Three empty cups and one full cup of coffee were on the table, surrounding a small notebook that the mare was writing in.

“Isn't it a little early to be working?” the desk clerk asked with a smile.

“Hmmm? Oh, no, just a small side project. Not really work. It hardly counts.”

“Vanilla Mocha, correct? I have a package for you.” She held the envelope out.

The mare cocked an eye and took it. “Really? I didn't expect any news for a few more days.” She slowly opened it and pulled out the thick pad of papers within. “Huh. This is... oh?” Her eyes lit up and she jumped to her hooves. “Ohhhhh. I'll be leaving immediately. Just check me out. Thank you!”

She galloped out of the room, leaving her notebook behind. A moment later she returned to grab it, grinning sheepishly. Mocha galloped out from the hotel, stepping out into the open streets of Las Pegasus. Even though it was only a few hours after dawn, they were already ripe with life, ponies running every which way, taxis crowding the streets and the smell of fresh baked bread filled the air from the bakery besides the hotel. The unicorn glanced at the paperwork again, a wide grin on her face. She trotted forward and motioned towards the street.

After her fourth attempt, a taxi skidded to a stop in front of her. She hopped inside, holding out the papers. “I need to go here,” she said, pointing at the address.

The pony gave a swift nod before galloping off, dodging and weaving through the lanes.

Mocha grinned as she went through the paperwork. F&F Productions. She hummed softly as she worked, sorting everything out as she went. All in all the contract seemed simple enough, but there was one thing that caught her attention above all. Complete freedom as a director. They even said the script was ready, but they'd be trusting her judgment and let her make any rewrites she wanted. It was going to be wondrous. Glorious even. So fast, too.

The cab pulled to a stop, making her look out. They were standing outside a warehouse, which made her stop and frown. But the words 'F&F Productions' were emblazoned across the large door. She shrugged and hopped out, hoofing over her bits. She walked to the door and knocked.

There was no answer. She frowned again and knocked, but there was still no answer. She looked around in confusion, before slowly using her magic to grip the door knob and twist it open. The door slid open with an ominous creek. “Hello?” she called out. “It's me, Vanilla Mocha? You mailed me the job offer?”

She pushed the door open and looked around. The warehouse was filled, to the brim, with stuff. Just stuff. Pieces of sets, props. Random baubles here and there. There were lights dangling from the roof and she could hear sounds from the back of the room, ponies talking. She took a deep breath and stepped forward, though every instinct in her body said not to. If this was a movie, this would be the part where the villain stepped out with a mask and machete. Then they'd find out she carried pepper spray tucked away in her mane.

She trotted through the building, navigating the halls of stuff. Abandoned props, pieces of sets, all manners of long since retired equipment were set up against the wall. It made her feel a little at home as she tried imagining what the job would be. She turned a corner and saw them.

Two unicorns, with light yellow coats and striped red and white manes. One of them had a big bushy mustache, while the other was clean-shaven. They were wearing sunglasses and matching berets. They were talking and waving emphatically, but were talking too low for her to hear. She waved over. “Hey, you two called for me?” she asked. “Vanilla Mocha?”

“What?” The two looked up in unison, before wide grins flashed across their faces.

“Stupendous!” the clean-shaven one said.

“Magnificent!” the mustached one said.

“A marvelous entrance! Truly spectacular! Just what we were looking for in our new director. A pony with style, grace, pois!”

She blushed and smiled. “Well, I don't know if I'm all that. All I did was walk in.”

“Don't sell yourself short, not everypony can walk in like that. Isn't that right, Flam?” the clean-shaven one said.

“Indeedly, Flim. Why, we've been wondering when you'd show your magnificent face here!” Flam said.

“What were you two talking about?”

“Oh, nothing you need to worry about,” Flim said with a smile. “Now that you're here, we can begin. Why, my brother and I recently inherited quite the large pension from our dear old grandpappy.”

“May his soul find much rest in the afterlife,” Flam said quickly and for a moment, the two looked quite sad and introspective. Then a second later the energy returned and they were all grins and smiles.

“But, now that this bountiful nest egg dropped in our laps,” Flim said.

“A true gift from the heavens if you will,” Flam added.

“Like a golden egg dropped by the hen.”

“Or a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.”

“Or a treasure, long lost and found when you fall down a hill.”

“Or--”

“I get it!” Mocha said quickly, her neck starting to hurt from having to look between the two in such rapid succession. She felt so disoriented and awkward, these ponies were weird. But, then again, she'd met more than a few ponies in her business who were a tad eccentric.

“Right, I'm sorry about that, we have a tendency to carry on,” Flim said with a mournful shake of his head.

“Re-itterate our point.”

“Indeed, brother of mine. Now, as we were saying, ever since we had this new found treasure, we decided to do what we always dreamed. Create our very first movie, our finest production.”

“That's where you come in, miss Mocha,” Flam said with a dramatic wave of his hoof. “Why, we found your name after a very thorough search. A true up and comer.”

“A rising star.”

“Diamond in the rough.”

“Indeed,” Flim said before motioning towards the set. “Well, we currently lack the resources and ahhhh, financial ability of some of the bigger studios, but we're sure with such a great director as yourself, we'll be more than able to make a movie to draw in the masses! A true blockbuster!”

“A smash hit!”

“Best seller!”

“A true epic!”

Mocha stared at the two, her mind reeling slightly. They just moved so fast and they talked so smooth. She couldn't help it, she was starting to believe it. She didn't know who these ponies were, but she was certain they could make a movie. They certainly had the passion. “Wait, lack the resources?”

“Indeed. We've had to dump most our bits into this production set,” Flim said with a sad shake of his head. “But! I'm sure with your help, we'll be able to succeed.”

She paused for a moment and rubbed her chin. “What, err, exactly do you plan to pay me with?” She hated having to ask questions like that, but a job like this could take a while. She couldn't afford to be off the grid for too long without a way to pay the bills.

“Oh, don't worry! We have enough in the budget for that. It, ahhh, probably won't be what you're used to,” Flim said with a nervous chuckle.

“A rising star like you is probably used to being paid top bit,” Flam said quickly.

“However, we are prepared to offer a modest sum as well as a ten percent share on whatever revenue the movie creates,” he said with another firm nod.

Mocha nodded slowly. “Okay... how much of a modest sum are we talking?” The two shared a look before quoting the number to her. She stared for a moment. “A... a month?” There was another nod. Well, it was far from what she made on her best jobs, but it wasn't that low. She could get by on that. “I suppose that could work.”

“Wonderful!” Flim held out his hoof and the two shook it. There was a slow nod between the two brothers as they just smiled at her. “We'll get all the paperwork drawn up and here is your copy of the script.” He dropped a small folder on her. She barely caught it in time with her magic. She opened it eagerly before pausing.

“What's this?” she asked as she looked at the front sheet.

“That's hiring budget. Just hire whichever actors you feel you have faith in,” Flim said with another one of those smiles.

She paused. “Wait, really? Don't you want to--”

“Nope! We have complete faith that you'll make us proud. After all, your name will be on this movie. We're certain you'll get the best ponies for the job.”

She nodded slowly. “And the sets?”

“We have all those handled. Don't worry one little bit,” Flam said with a nod of his head. “I'm sure you have a lot to get done, production starts in a week though. Best get to it.”

She nodded slowly, her mind reeling as she looked over the folder. So much to do, so much to do! She trotted out from the building, before frowning as she pulled on the door out of the warehouse. Now she could see the lock was broken.

“Flim? Flam?” she called back.

“Yes?” Flam called back.

“The lock on this door is broken. You'll want to get it fixed!”

“Oh, don't worry about that. We're having a pony out here in a few days,” Flim said. The two shared another confident look as they heard the door shut. “I do believe she bought that hook, line and sinker.”

The two shared a hoof bump. “A total sap, that one,” Flam said with a grin.