• Published 22nd Nov 2014
  • 533 Views, 15 Comments

Secret OC Origins Compilation - Jeweled Pen



A compilation of random one shot stories for different OCs.

  • ...
1
 15
 533

Snigurka 03

Play hummed softly as she worked, gently marking pages down and grading homework. It was another beautiful sunny day and the children were outside playing. If she was lucky, she'd have all the homework graded before they got back. That would mean she'd have plenty of time to relax over the weekend. She tried not to give homework over the weekend either, especially during the summer. Children wanted to play, not stay inside and work on their basic numbers. She, for one, wanted to lounge by the pool side.

A soft knock on the door made her glance up. “Hmmm? Snigurka? Shouldn't you be outside?”

The little filly stood by the door, looking sheepish. “No, I ummm, I-I wanted to ask you for help.”

Play nodded and put her pen down. So much for her free weekend. “Yes? What is it, dear?”

Snigurka slowly pulled out the two books she'd been given almost two months before. “I ummm... I need some help.”

The teacher stared at them for a few moments. Since they'd returned from summer vacation a few weeks ago, she hadn't heard anything from the child about it. She'd thought she had given up. Even the other children had seemed to have forgotten about it, there hadn't been any more paper snow past the first few days. “What are you having trouble with?”

“I ummm, I've been making clouds. Real clouds. And I can make ice now. It's really kinda easy once you know how it works. But... well...” She shuffled her hooves together. “I can't... get them to work together. It all kind of just... crashes down.”

Play slowly got to her hooves, letting out a low grunt before following after the filly. “Okay, how about you show me? We can do it outside.”

The filly's eyes widened. “W-what? No! The others will see, they'll make fun of me, please don't make me!” she practically screamed the words, shaking her head.

Play sighed and shook her head. “Very well, if you don't want to do it now, then how about this. When class is over, stay after and you can show me once everypony is gone, okay?”

The filly stared for a moment before giving a nod. “O-okay.”

“Good. Now, run along and go play, recess will be over soon.” She watched the child run off with a smile. The unicorn seemed to be developing well and it always made her happy when her children found something that made them happy. She then sat back down with a groan, going back to grading her homework. She couldn't deny feeling a little excited. She wondered what tricks her student would end up showing her.

The class went by quickly and soon enough she was watching all the fillies and colts wander out for the day, a few waving back to her. Snigurka was the last out, pausing by the door and watching her classmates leave across the yard. Once they were gone she smiled up at Play. “Okay, watch, watch!” She trotted off a few feet away. Her horn began to glow and she chewed on her lip, focusing purely on the spell. Slowly the moisture began to gather and swirl over her horn. At first it was just a small ball of water, but then it began to expand. Inch by inch it got bigger, wider, thicker and whiter. Soon, a big, white cloud hovered overhead, poofy and soft. Play couldn't resist, she reached out and touched it.

It felt cold and wet around her hoof. When she pulled back, it closed the small hole she'd made quickly. “It's a real cloud.” She couldn't keep the awe from her voice. Sure, she'd seen unicorns do more impressive spells, but for one so young this was quite the accomplishment. Even if the filly was breathing heavily.

“Y-yeah,” Snigurka said as she thrust her horn forward. The cloud began to rumble ominously, before spilling water all across the ground and evaporating. She sighed softly. “See? I can make rain but I can't make snow,” she whined softly.

Play smiled gently and reached out to pat the filly on the head. “There there. Have you considered that, perhaps, it's just too hot? You've developed quite the skill already, there's no need to push yourself too hard and--”

“NO!” Snigurka screamed, her voice cracking. “Look, look!” She thrust her head forward and her horn glowed. The water began to quickly freeze until a small frozen puddle rested on the ground. “See? It's not too hot! I can make ice, so snow should be easy. But I can't mix them, t-the spells just don't mix and... and it's not fair,” she said with a soft whimper, plopping down on the ground and staring at it. “I-I have to do it. I have to.”

Play sighed and gave a small nod. “I see. Well, in that care, hmmm...” She rubbed her chin. “The problem seems to be getting the spells to mix, correct?”

“Uh huh...”

“How often have you tried mixing magic before?”

“Err... this time?”

The teacher nodded. “Well, in that case I think the answer is simple. You've only just learned these two spells, mixing them both together won't be easy. You need to practice mixing other spells first. Perhaps mixing your cloud forming spell with your telekinesis?”

Snigurka sighed. “But I want to make snow. Not moving clouds,” she whined.

“You have to start somewhere. Mixing magic is a difficult process I'm sure, so start with the magic you know, don't try mixing two magics you're only just learning.”

The filly nodded and sighed. “Okay...”

------

Play hummed softly as she walked on her way to class. Another glorious, wonderful day.

“Ahhhhh!” Filthy yelled as he ran by, pursued by a raining cloud.

“Mwa ha ha ha!” Snigurka laughed vengefully as she chased after him.

“Snigurka!” Play said harshly.

The filly stopped and the cloud evaporated. “Sorry Miss Write...”

“Don't let me catch you doing that again. Magic is not to be used to torment ponies, understand?”

“Yes ma'am,” the filly said as she hung her head and trotted onwards towards school.

------

Snigurka yelped as the cloud began to wiggle in the air, before suddenly crashing down, shattering against the ground. “P-perhaps a bit too cold,” she mumbled softly. Still, it was at least a hundred and ten degrees out, so she grabbed a few of the shards and laid them around herself, letting the cold move in against her. “Ahhhhh... okay! Time to try again!” The cloud began to form overhead.

------

Filthy hummed softly as he walked to class, his mind racing. His dad had told him all about a new business venture and it was making him feel all antsy. It was just a silly idea, but what if he tried building a shop that--

His thoughts were disrupted as something cold and hard smacked him in the side of the face. He stumbled and looked around, confused. A water balloon?

There wasn't any plastic though. There was some white stuff on the ground, too. But it was quickly melting. He stared at it for a few seconds. Snow?

He quickly shook his head. It was wayyyyy too hot for snow to exist. He trotted on ahead, scowling as another pony rushed off ahead past him. Snigurka? He wondered what had her so excited. His eyes widened softly. There was no way, she couldn't have.

He started walking faster, accelerating rapidly, nearly galloping by the time he got to the school. There was no way, no possible way.

“Okay! Everypony!” Snigurka said, grinning proudly as she lifted her horn up. “I've finally done it! You're all going to see it, here and now. Snow in the summer!”

The ponies went silent and watched, breaths held as the filly raised her horn. The glow formed on her horn as the water began building up, swirling in a mass of liquid. Slowly it began expanding, poofing and turning into a nice, small cloud.

Play trotted onto the grounds and paused, watching the children as they stared at the filly. She sat down and went quiet, watching curiously to see what her student could do. A silent hush flowed over the crowd.

Snigurka chewed on her tongue and kept her eyes closed, building the cloud in her magic, drop by drop. It swirled and built, rumbling ominously. Then it crashed down, frozen solid and shattering against the ground. The ponies stared for a few moments, before breaking into nervous laughter.

“No!” the filly screamed, shaking her head. “I'm not done!” She dug her hooves into the ground, closing her eyes and sending out every burst of magic she had. The cloud began to melt and regather in the air, swirling and darkening even faster this time. Droplets of water began to drip down, but the cloud kept swirling.

Some of the children laughed, but only nervously. Those closest to the cloud began to quickly back away, watching it nervously. There was a light tinkling and then the cloud stopped and began to fall apart.

Play sighed, before freezing. Her eyes widened as she realized the cloud wasn't falling apart. Little drops of snow were slowly falling from the cloud, sprinkling on the ground and coating it in a gentle layer of powder. It began melting quickly, but there was no denying it. The child had made snow.

The children erupted, cheering and yelling at the sight. Snigurka sat down, panting with exhaustion and covered in a thin layer of sweat. She'd done it, she'd actually done it. Snow. In the middle of the summer. Then the cheers began to die and the ponies stared at her.

“What? What is it?” She looked around, then gasped.

Emblazoned across her flank was her cutie mark, still glimmering from the magic of it's appearance. A single large, white snowflake. Her shriek of excitement dwarfed even the crowds.