• Published 16th Nov 2014
  • 970 Views, 22 Comments

Gloom and Doom - casualbrony10



Tirek is defeated and Twilight is princess of friendship, but all is not well in Equestria. An ancient force has been released and prepares to plunge the land into misery.

  • ...
3
 22
 970

Doom

Gloom felt a sense of calm, despite the hurricane of dark magic raging around him and the energy exploding out of him. He didn't have to lift a claw, now that his spell had taken over, it would do all the work. He remembered all the unicorn mages he probed so long ago, all the years he spent formulating this ultimate dark spell. Ironic, considering that the result would be relatively simple, but the sheer size alone made it a work of art. First, the Crystal Heart would be his focus, it's unique properties critical to the spell. A pulse exploded from Gloom, coating every living thing in the Crystal Empire in Gloom's magic, the pulse then imploded back in on itself with a roar. It was a twisted parody of the Heart's normal functions, except as the wave washed over the helpless ponies a second time, it took them with it. The ponies all vanished into the shadows, visible only as tiny lights being pulled into Gloom. An entire city of ponies swallowed into the depths of the Heart. Gloom felt an immeasurable surge of power mixed with glorious pain. It was similar to his usual process of dominating ponies except many magnitudes more potent and efficient. No more mind magic, no more maintaining connections, all were now trapped in eternal misery within him. He only had one city now, his hold on Canterlot and Ponyville was failing with the destruction of his avatars and the distance to Tartarus was too great, but this way, he had gained greater power than he could have ever gained the old way.

Now for the second step, Gloom felt the massive well of darkness deep below the Earth. The same force that created the Umbra, the magic that Sombra tapped into. If only he knew that the Umbra was just the tip of an iceberg, a shadow of the terrible thing dreaming beneath the world, and now with this power, Gloom could finally reach deep enough to touch that darkness. He had felt it so many more times before, ever since that fateful day he swam in the shadows as a lowly windigo, but always it was out of reach, a thin but deceptively strong ribbon of rainbow light between the great dark and the surface. He longed to become a part of that dark, he needed it, to add its misery to his. With a focused spell, he pierced the ribbon of light with both magic and mind.

Miles away, the Tree of Harmony's glow dimmed, but the ribbon did not vanish, instead Gloom's effort opened a tear, through that tear a vast consciousness touched Gloom's. Gloom felt himself in a cold embrace, in his mind's eye he saw 3 lights advancing through the dark towards him. He could not look away, his trance paralyzing him, but he did not wish to. As they neared, Gloom realized that the lights were three eyes. A perverse joy sounded through his mind as he was lost in a glorious sea of misery, hatred, and malice.

The bearers of harmony, Spike, and Discord arrived at the Crystal Empire in seconds, the rainbow power granting them speed. The sight that greeted them was out of a nightmare. The light and color of the empire was gone, before their eyes ponies vanished as a wave of evil washed across the city. It the center, a maelstrom of dark magic whirled around the spire. As suddenly as it appeared, all the darkness imploded upon itself, converging underneath the spire. When it was over, there was only silence; the streets were empty, not a single soul was left in the empire. Gathering their courage, the band of friends flew to the spire. They landed in the square just outside the structure.

"I really have a bad feeling about this," Spike whispered in Twilight's ear. Twilight looked over at Discord, and what she saw terrified her. Discord almost never expressed fear, even after being bested by Tirek Discord was more sad than afraid, only once had she seen him scared and that was the moment they had petrified him. Now Discord looked like he was about to panic, sweat dripped from his face and he was shaking.

"I've never sensed something like this before, it feels so evil, so chaotic, even more chaotic than me, yet at the same time it is in perfect order. It's like an ink blot on the fabric of reality itself. What did Gloomy do? It doesn't even feel like Gloomy anymore!"

"That's because it isn't, at least, not completely," A voice said from the entrance to the spire. What stepped out was Gloom, but his appearance had changed drastically. The liquid that formed his hide had been replaced by opaque black crystal, and two large wings made of glittering darkness billowed from his back. A long horn protruded from his forehead, but unlike every other unicorn horn Twilight had ever seen it was not in the shape of a cone, instead it had sides and edges. It resembled a crystal pyramid stuck into Gloom's head. His eyes glowed not the usual blue, but a mix of crimson, bright green, dark purple, and icy blue flames burning in his eye sockets. His voice was different, no longer hoarse with sobbing, but clear and smooth. The echo to his voice was more pronounced, as if an entire legion of voices whispered behind his own. He had ceased to cry entirely, and actually wore an unsettling grin, showing razor-sharp teeth. "How do you like the new look? Very impressive isn't it? I've never been one for looks, but the aesthetic benefits of apotheosis can't be denied."

"Apotha-what?" Pinkie asked.

"Apotheosis, the elevation of somepony or someone to divine status, he is claiming godhood," Twilight quietly explained.

"Freedom never felt so wonderful. I'm sure you can appreciate freedom, can't you brother?" Gloom addressed Discord.

"I have freedom, friendship is not a prison Gloomy, or should I say Erebus?" Discord's eyes narrowed.

"Ah, I knew you would recognize me regardless of the face I wear or the mouth I speak through. Makes no difference, the labels ponies come up with have never mattered, call me what you will, it will not change the outcome of the game."

"Whoa, Gloom let Erebus possess him, that is beyond messed up," Rainbow whispered.

"You truly do care about these little animals, don't you Discord? What happened to that mighty master of chaos I knew all those centuries ago? It didn't take much convincing to pit you against them, for me or Tirek. I can give you one more chance, unlike Tirek I will not betray you, you know that I reward my allies well, you've seen it. As long as our sister exists we will always be shackled. You and I can work so well together, Harmony cannot overcome us both."

"No, never again. I'm sure that you do offer the freedom I crave Erebus, but with you I would be at worst a minion at best an ally. You can never give me friendship. You would see me as useful, valuable even, but to these ponies I am priceless. They care about me Erebus, despite everything I've done they still forgave and accepted me. They are the closest thing I have to a family. I was a fool to give that up once, I will not make that same mistake again," Discord replied. The ponies were touched by the sincerity of Discord's speech. Fluttershy and Twilight both had tears in her eyes.

"They will be dead in time, they are mortal. You have lived eons, you will blink and they will be gone." Erebus stated flatly. Discord chuckled, surprising the dark spirit.

"Oh Erebus, I'm the spirit of chaos, it is against my nature to think that far ahead. I live for the moment, and in this moment these are my friends. When the time comes I will deal with that, but until then I could care less about the future."

"Hmmmm, as you wish. And this must be the Starchild herself," Erebus turned to Twilight, "I have seen you, twinkling in my dark, you shine very brightly. You are a very important piece in a game beyond your understanding, the offer Discord refused applies to you too. I can teach you everything about magic, 10,000 years of knowledge can be yours. Haven't you ever tired of being a piece, a willing pawn of others? Don't you wish to play for yourself? I can even ensure that your friends will remain unharmed, you can all live forever at my side. Abandon that old, dead tree and serve me. I will appreciate you for what you are, not simply point you somewhere on a map."

"First of all, my name is Twilight Sparkle, not Starchild. Second, there is no way you could keep that promise since I have friends and family all over Equestria and beyond, I doubt you would spare all of them. Third, I could never live with myself if I helped you hurt anyone, be they pony or dragon or whatever, whether they are my friend or not. Fourth, all the knowledge and magic in the world is worthless if it is used for evil. And lastly, if I joined you I would be betraying my friends and everything I stand for as princess of friendship. So here is my counteroffer Gloom or Erebus or whatever you are. You will surrender every pony that you have taken, give up the Crystal Heart, and undo the damage you have done. We are not looking for a fight Erebus, but we will do whatever it takes to defend Equestria," Twilight was surprised at her own courage. Inwardly, she found this creature to be the most disturbing and terrifying thing she had ever encountered, yet despite her fear she spoke with resolve. Nothing could be allowed to threaten her friends, deity, spirit, or whatever.

"Twilight, such a fitting name. Twilight is the time of change between day and night, the mixture of dark and light, ending and beginning. You are an interesting paradox. You are smart and yet you know so little, you represent friendship and yet you only just discovered it, you are harmony and chaos intertwined, you learn and yet you teach," Erebus looked thoughtful, "Many have stood against me, whether they knew it or not. Harmony, Amore, Starswirl, Clover, Celestia, Meadowbrook, and so many more. They were all strong, but not unique, not like you. You have a dangerous talent Twilight, you are made better by others and in turn you better them. You have magic itself flowing in your veins Starchild, a spirit cloaked in mortal flesh. I can help you throw off the final chain, just help me kill that cursed tree and break my chain. If you insist on opposing me then you will lose, this body is charged with power beyond your imagine, your light cannot stop it," Erebus seemed to want Twilight even more than Discord.

"You have my answer Erebus. Girls, take him down." As Twilight finished speaking the rainbow power flared brightly around her friends. A massive rainbow arced towards Erebus. The blast struck him with a clap of thunder, but he didn't flinch. Instead of enveloping him, the rainbow reflected away from him in all directions, repelled by the crystal of his body. The rainbow broke up into its 7 colors and faded into sparkles and then nothing. The ponies could only stare in shock and horror as Erebus glared at them.

"Foolish," Erebus raised a claw and started to take a step forward. Twilight blinked and suddenly Erebus was right in front of her. There was not blur of movement or flash of a teleport, Erebus just instantly occupied a different space. The raised claw swung towards the 7 ponies and impacted the shield of rainbow light. Twilight saw Discord rush behind Erebus, but he was quickly kicked away with devastating force. Discord flew backward through the crystal spire, and smashed into a house. The shield cracked and flickered where the claw touched it, before quickly giving way. The rainbow magic violently failed and the ponies and dragon were hurled to the ground in a small explosion. Erebus landed in front of Twilight, he leaned down to get right in the stricken alicorn's face, "Very foolish."