• Published 6th Nov 2014
  • 27,792 Views, 2,678 Comments

The Evening Sonata - Daniel-Gleebits



When Sunset Shimmer hears strange sounds outside her apartment, she finds an old enemy who seems down on her luck. Can Sunset Shimmer help Sonata Dusk to cope with her life as a normal teenage girl?

  • ...
58
 2,678
 27,792

Preview of the Sequel

Author's Note:

I don't know whether this will annoy as many people as it interests, but here's a short preview of the upcoming and long awaited sequel to the Evening Sonata. Return to Equestria: The Rise of Roam. I just want everyone to know that I haven't forgotten this I'm working on it I swear! :fluttershysad:

As I've said before, this continuation will be in a different setting than the original story, so therefore I made it into a separate story rather than continuing it on here.
Nevertheless, the focus is still on Sunset and Sonata, that aspect will not change. There'll simply be different things going on in the land of ponies.

Return to Equestria: The Rise of Roam

Sunset Shimmer


The message in the journal had troubled Sunset excessively.


Dear Sunset Shimmer,

I know that we had planned on your excursion to Equestria in a few weeks time. However, I fear that your visit must be postponed for the time being. Whilst I look forward to your visit, and so do our friends, a most serious rumour has reached Canterlot, and the Princess’ are convening to discuss it.

I write this to you now in case the situation becomes dire enough that I am forced to take certain measures. I do not wish to cause you any alarm.

I hope to write back to you with good news on the subject. Until then,

your friend, Twilight Sparkle


“And ya’ll don’t know anything about what might be going on?” Applejack asked. “Like from when ya went back last time?”

Sunset shook her head. “Everything was fine.”

“Are we really going to have to deal with that Discord guy?” Rainbow Dash asked. “That guy was a different shade of weird.”

“He was all different kinds of shades,” Pinkie observed. “None of his clothes matched.”

“That’s not what I—“

“Um, well, I think he might be nice,” Fluttershy said tentatively. “Deep down, you know?”

“He said that he was reformed,” Sunset said uneasily. “And if the historical record is anything to go by, he would usually have turned this world inside out by now if he wasn’t. Still,” she looked around gravely at them all. “I’d feel better if you guys just kept an eye on him.”


All of their friends were there who could come. Even Aria, her story notebook under her arm, stood in front of her, a frown on her face. All of her friends were frowning actually. Only Sonata, her hand clutched in Sunset’s own, looked eager and determined.

“You’ll text us all the time, right?” Pinkie asked plaintively.

“I don’t think mobile service crosses dimensions, Pinkie,” Sunset said kindly.

“If they did, the roaming charges would be horrendous,” Rarity agreed.

“I have an idea,” Sunset said brightly. She pulled out the magical journal, and tore the page out with Twilight’s message on it. Folding this up and stuffing it into her bag, she handed the journal to Pinkie Pie. “You keep that. If you write in it, I’ll be able to read your messages in Twilight’s journal and reply to you.”

Pinkie’s eyes filled with tears. Before Sunset could read the signs properly, she leapt forward and threw her arms around Sunset’s shoulders. Then Sonata, Rarity, Fluttershy, and all of her friends jumped in too. Even Aria, looking furtively around to make sure no one was looking, put an arm into the mix and patted Sunset’s shoulder.

“Hopefully we won’t be too long,” Sunset said reassuringly, as they all let go. “If it’s a big problem, we’ll send you a message to tell you about what’s happening.”

“If it’s something big, shouldn’t we come too?” Rainbow asked.

“Ya’ll just wanna see what pony land looks like,” Applejack said, smirking.

“Nuh uh!” Rainbow snapped, colouring up. “Sounds lame.”

Applejack said nothing, but smiled to herself in victorious silence.

“Well, we’ll see you later then,” Sunset said. She took Sonata’s hand as they all waved, Pinkie clutching the journal and crying loudly over it. For a moment, Sunset gazed at her friends, feeling an unaccountable sense of longing for all of them. And then she saw, just behind them, a fluttering white handkerchief.

“Bye, Discord,” she called over their heads.

“Be well, Sunset Shimmer,” Discord said dramatically, waving the handkerchief daintily. “Our prayers go with you, from your fondest of friends.” So saying he pulled said friends into a patently too large a hug and arranged his pinched face into something approximating elegant despair.

Sunset almost laughed. She looked at Sonata for a moment, and then they both turned, and walked into the portal together, the stone warping and rippling as they passed through.

Comments ( 104 )

Reply to my comment when the sequel's posted! I wanna read it :pinkiehappy:

THE HYPE IS REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there a date we should expect deployment by?

Whoa! AWESOME!!!!

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD! YES!

As long as you're working on this, then it's fine with me. The sooner I get to read this sequel, the sooner I can have a happy moment in my life.

I'm glad you're working on this. I look forward to reading it.

YYEEEIIII Sequell!!!! Good start, I can't wait to read it.

Yes... Please, yes...

I'm Excited. It feels like it's been so long. I'll probably end up reading through Evening Sonata again. My memory is a little vague on the story now. I remember the concert to save aria's leg; when that joke chapter came out with Applejack and the cider; the art show with fancy pants oh and Fleur De Lis. She was a Bitch. Anyway whenever that sequel comes out I'll be here.
P.S. If you happen to need a cover for any of your stories let me know.

Squeeeeeee!!!

Oh my god I can't wait for this!

“You’ll text us all the time, right?” Pinkie asked plaintively.

“I don’t think mobile service crosses dimensions, Pinkie,” Sunset said kindly.

“If they did, the roaming charges would be horrendous,” Rarity agreed.

I love it already.

Dude, I'm so fucking hyped! Evening Sonata was hands down one of my favorite stories, and now the sequel is coming!

(Now if only some people would help with the TVTropes page...)

Goood...
Goooood...

Damnit. Now I have to wait. I don't like waiting.

If Twilight told her not to come to Equestria yet, why is she still going?? :rainbowhuh:

ALSO OMG A SEQUEL EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :pinkiehappy:

Oh ho! Funny seeing you again good sir. Still need to read the threesome...

It's happening! :rainbowkiss:

*hype intensifies

Yes!

--Excited Spade

I write this to you now in case the situation becomes dire enough that I am forced to take certain measures. I do not wish to cause you any alarm.

Twilight, you're going completely the wrong way about that, then. You haven't forewarned her about what the measures or situation would be, but you have framed things in an alarming fashion. Maybe some details would fix one or both of those.

It seems like you didn't lie, you could get to write what you lost after some of your chapters... umm, let's say vanished :rainbowlaugh:
I can't wait! :twilightsmile:

Oooooooooooo, shiny! Now you got us excited and the wait will be killing us, dammit :rainbowlaugh:
Can't wait though, gonna be another great ride!

Not bad. I can't wait to see where this sequel takes us.

6174434 Ehhh, there seems to be a general cultural stigma in the US born, I think, from their historical aversion to communism. Buzzwords like "Socialism" are held with voracious but little understood negativity, and so government programs that might actually help people and lessen the burden of every day life are stigmatised by the conservative right as being "against freedom" and "lazy", somehow.
The arguments themselves aren't very compelling in my opinion, but the general population in the US seem succeptible to buzzwords. As such programs like free healthcare that people in Britain, Europe, Canada, and even Cuba, take for granted, Americans generally view as something unattainable or impractical at best, and an impending disaster at worst, despite being just as viable as everywhere else if they didn't spend over half of government spending on a bloated military, most of which they don't use.
It also doesn't help that pharmaceutical, insurance, and a plethora of other company types have a vested interest in preventing it.

6173279 Not to worry, the first chapter will be out by the end of the week. I won't be able to update it as quickly as before though. Things have changed a little since then, so I can't make the same promise of 3-day updates.

6172774 Yeeeah, ever notice how she has a habit of doing that? She's always doing it in the show, usually followed by a phrase using the word "panic".

6171580 It's not obligatory. Some people don't like explicit stories *shrug*

6171530 Because Twilight underwhelmed the situation, because Discord told Sunset that she needs to go, and because Sunset is a good friend.

6171464 Don't worry, it won't be long now.

6171229 Yes. Someone go help with the TV Tropes page. Come on guys, a perfectly legit way of criticising my story without having to do it to my face :pinkiecrazy:

6171156 :yay: indeed

6170940 I might just take you up on that if I may. I've found that making my own is a time-consuming process. :twilightoops:

6170795 Oh geez, put pressure on me, won't you? Someone's happiness is on the line!! :rainbowlaugh:

6170701 No later than the end of this week. Sunday at the very latest. The first chapter will be up. Unless I die. If it's not up by then, presume I am either dead or in some way incapacitated. Like, in a coma, mind wiped by a horrible accident, or suffering loss of internet connection.
The horror... :pinkiesick:

Oh hell yeah! This is gonna be great! :ajsmug: Can't wait!

6176464
There are people that don't like explicit stories and then there are those how have read more explicit stories than they can remember.
I fall into the latter group.

THE HYPE IS REAL

…Seriously though, I loved "The Sunset Sonata", so I'm looking forward to more stuff set in the same universe. SunAta is cutest ship.

Don't feel bad if you can't update it every 3 days like the last time. Life gets in the way. I can relate. At least you're not a lazy writer like yours truly.

Will the sequel follow the events of your extremely gory "A Nightmare Night Kiss"?

Cause I like gory stories

6178494 Originally it did, but I've changed a few things since then. The events of a Nightmare Night Kiss are no longer canon to this. There is an affliction in Equestria, but it's not vampire ponies.
There will be some stomach turning scenes though. Or at least things that would turn my stomach a little.

Im gain, looking forward to see what the sequel brings. :pinkiehappy:

wooowoowooo sounds fun :333

I'll be looking forward to this. :3

6202050 I've visited it a few times for Otakon, so yeah, I have a bit of experience with Baltimore.

6203820 More than anything it was a comment on the unscrupulous character of Filthy Rich, and a means to lighten the mood. Sorry it bugs you.

6207748 Well, I'm glad that someone enjoyed that joke :pinkiesmile:

6176420

-claps for the truth-

6211193 It confused the hell out of me too, to be honest. From my perspective Sunset was meant to feel guilty as much as any decent person should, especially for punching someone in a wheelchair and then telling them a deep personal truth that laid their soul bare, but all-in-all it was for the greater good.
The mere fact that Sunset felt guilt was more a testament to her good inner moral compass, but I frankly expected the readers to react positively.

6211323 I myself am not against drugs as such, the general point here was to convey the point that Sonata was willing to try something that she didn't know the first thing about to succeed. Whilst the pills are generally innocuous, as demonstrated by Hoity's use of them, the fact of the matter is that he didn't tell her what they were, didn't know how they would affect her, and did it behind people's backs.
The moral ambiguity wasn't the drugs themselves, it was the lack of responsibility surrounding why they were given and taken.

6232914 Nice okay, I remember that entirely now. And you'd just used Aria to mention said underhandedness too. Yeah I was not in the right brain space to be reading when I said that, I reread it a dozen times and ending with chalking it up to dialect differences that I'm no good at overcoming. Now that I remember, I wanted to mention it strange that Fleur considers herself on good terms with her 3 former girlfriends, but does that mean Photo Shop was just not considered a girlfriend?
It's okay with Fluttershy, she had her moments of usefulness. No need to beat a dead horse.

6234362 Photo Finish was less of a girlfriend, and more of a mutual agreement sort of person.

6306611 People have been kind enough to say before that they appreciate my ability to keep individuals in character. I'm just happy that I decided to share this idea with everyone way back when I started writing it :raritywink:

Login or register to comment