• Published 6th Nov 2014
  • 27,792 Views, 2,678 Comments

The Evening Sonata - Daniel-Gleebits



When Sunset Shimmer hears strange sounds outside her apartment, she finds an old enemy who seems down on her luck. Can Sunset Shimmer help Sonata Dusk to cope with her life as a normal teenage girl?

  • ...
58
 2,678
 27,792

The Sunrise Sonata, Part 10

The Sunrise Sonata Pt10


Sonata Dusk

“Hey Sonata. Don’t often get calls from you.”

“Oh, heh, yeah. Sorry about that.”

“Don’t worry about it. Honestly I get so many calls a day. These Applewood stars are so needy and shallow. Oh if we only had our magic still; why did we never come here?”

“I think you didn’t like the crime.”

Adagio laughed. “True. I swear I never get used to how dangerous humans are compared to ponies. I mean seriously; what were we supposed to do against guns?”

Sonata didn’t want to get too far off topic here, and so attempted to bring the subject around. “Yeah. Well, I wondered if I could ask you something.”

“Go ahead,” Adagio sighed. Sonata pictured Adagio in her mind, lying on a couch with the phone held idly to her ear. The thought made her smile.

She explained the general story to Adagio for what seemed like the umpteenth time since it’d all happened. Adagio didn’t interrupt, but Sonata thought she heard her hum and tut at certain intervals. When she had finished, Adagio questioned her on a few particulars.

“So what do you think I should do?” Sonata asked.

“I’m not really sure what you want me to say,” Adagio admitted, sounding a little puzzled.

“Tell me what I should do,” Sonata replied, a little desperately. She clutched the phone hard, feeling the plastic bending a little under her fingers. Then she heard something from the other end of the phone that made her frown. Adagio started to laugh. It started out as barely a chuckle, but then erupted into sincere, amused laughter. If it had been anyone else but Sonata, they might have been offended, since Adagio’s tone of voice was naturally haughty and faintly disdainful, but Sonata could tell her laughs apart from long experience.

“Sonata, I have to say I’m honestly shocked at you,” Adagio giggled, her laugh winding down.

“What?” Sonata asked, unnerved. “You always had the answer in the old days.”

“I’m not going to tell you what to do, Sonata,” Adagio said, sounding stern. “I haven’t told you what to do for a long time, and you don’t need me to now.”

“But...” Sonata’s objection refused to form.

On the other side of the phone, Adagio sighed. “Okay, so I’m guessing you tried to get advice from your other friends first?”

“Oh, yeah,” Sonata coughed, but Adagio didn’t seem to take offence. “Mostly they told me they don’t see it as a problem.”

“I can see why you do,” Adagio said quietly. “You and I are a lot closer to Aria than they are. Well intentioned though they might be, they probably don’t see anything wrong with Sunset telling Aria what she needed to hear.”

“So you understand, then?” Sonata asked hopefully. She felt all along that she had not properly conveyed her feelings on the matter clearly enough to her friends, but if Adagio knew how she felt already, perhaps some real advice awaited her at this juncture.

“I do,” Adagio stated, sounding serious. “And I have to agree with your friends.”

Sonata’s heart sank. “W-What?”

Adagio gave a longer, heart-felt sigh on the other side of the line. For a few moments she didn’t speak, and then she began again in a slow, deliberate voice, as though she were measuring her words.

“In a way, I think all of this was kind of my fault.” Sonata began to interrupt, but Adagio cut her off. “You’re mad at Sunset for having a go at Aria, but—“

“I’m not mad at her,” Sonata interrupted defensively.

“Disappointed then,” Adagio amended patiently. “You’re disappointed in Sunset for what she said and did, but in all honesty... if I’d said those things to Aria when I should have, maybe Aria wouldn’t have gotten hurt in the first place.” Again she spoke over Sonata as the latter tried to interrupt. “Look. After we lost, I didn’t... I mean, I had no drive any more. I realised that what we were doing was just never going to work. I guess that’s what the real curse was. I suddenly understood that trying to take over the world would never have worked, and me dragging you two along for it was just me dragging you both deeper and deeper into a hole.”

“But we agreed with you,” Sonata said desperately. “We went along with all of it.”

“Did you have any other choice?” Adagio asked, sounding tired. “The point is, Aria and I, we weren’t the same. Aria had the most difficulty, but I could have changed her mind. I could have made it easier for her and you if I’d tried, but...”

Sonata waited for Adagio to go on, but she did not. What she heard made Sonata feel queasy, as though it were something she’d guessed at but never acknowledged, yet at the same time knew that she’d never even contemplated anything like it. Never had she thought of Adagio and thought that she hadn’t done her utmost, not acted when she needed to. But Adagio obviously thought that she hadn’t.

“All of this could have been avoided if I’d said something to her,” Adagio went on eventually. “Don’t blame Sunset for what she did. It needed to be done. It was unfair to her as well as you and Aria that she had to be the one because I didn’t do it when I should have.”

“But...” Sonata began again, but once more couldn’t think of any actual retort. Seated on the sofa, she felt her muscles deflate as though air were being let out of them. If what Adagio said was right, then had Sunset had any choice in the matter? And if she had no choice, was any of it really her fault?

“But what?” Adagio asked.

“But... she still went overboard. Didn’t she?”

Adagio’s tone was patient. “Look, Sonata. We’ve lived a pretty long time, caused quite a bit of trouble for people. If I’ve learned anything from all of that, it’s that it’s really, really easy for people to fight. And sometimes it’s hard for them to stop fighting, but when they do, they almost always laugh about it later.”

“Or you do,” Sonata pointed out.

Adagio laughed. “Well yeah. I mean come on, some of things that we got people to argue about, it was just so pathetic sometimes, wasn’t it? Remember that time we got those Oxford students to disagree about the date the university closed in the Tudor era?”

“I didn’t even know what they were talking about,” Sonata choked, remembering the whole ordeal fondly. “Still don’t, actually.”

“Exactly. But we found them the next day all fine didn’t we?”

“I guess,” Sonata admitted.

“The question is: If she fancies you, do you fancy her?” Yet again she forestalled Sonata’s interruption. “You’ve already told me that you thought you did before all this happened. Just try to imagine if she hadn’t spoken to Aria, how would you feel about her now?”

Sonata considered. It was hard to force her brain to acquiesce with all of the doubt build-up. The pent up feelings of uncertainty and what might be called betrayal formed a kind of dam that was blocking Sonata’s ability to picture the scene.

“Picture the last time you felt that way towards her,” Adagio prompted after a considerable silence. Sonata frowned in thought, and then closed her eyes.

There was Sunset sat on the couch next to her, pink pyjamas on, a plate of breakfast in her hands. The imaginary Sunset turned to her and gave her mind’s eye a tender smile. The wall of doubt and hurt in her mind seemed to diminish a little, or at least not be so impactful as it had been. Without Sonata’s meaning to, the image in her head deviated somewhat from reality. She blushed and tucked that thought away until she went to bed that night.

Perhaps taking her silence for confirmation, Adagio hummed in a satisfied sort of way. “See?”

“I didn’t say anything,” Sonata gabbled hastily.

“Exactly,” Adagio replied. Sonata could practically picture the sneer on her face. “Come on Sonata, we’ve been manipulating people’s emotions for how many years? Our own must be as transparent as all the rest.”

Sonata wanted to say something, but as had always been the case, Adagio cut straight through any pretension and stabbed at the honest core. Then she went in for the kill, again, as she always had done.

“Fine. Then tell me that you don’t love her.”

“Huh?” Sonata squeaked, the heat leaping into her cheeks.

“Say the words,” Adagio commanded. “Say I don’t love Sunset Shimmer. Say them to me right now.”

Again, Sonata stayed silent. It was as though her insides had all seized up, like everything was tensing for an explosion or disaster. Adagio laughed, actually laughed an uncontrollable level of mirth that Sonata hadn’t heard come from her mouth in years.

“In many ways, Sonata,” Adagio gasped, recovering. “It’s wonderful how little you’ve actually changed. You never were as affected as either me or Aria were.” She sighed over the phone again and spoke in the most approximately friendly tone as her voice could make. “Just go to her, Sonata. If she’s as great as you thought she was, you’ll work it all out.”

Sonata didn’t have time to reply. She heard a button being pressed, and the line went dead.

“Well that was kind of rude,” she mumbled, feeling nettled by the conversation.


The abrupt end to the call had thrust Sonata out of the theoretical contemplative realm of discussion, slap-bam into the practical, linear-time world of immediate action. No sooner had the phone cut off then she stood up, immediately aware that if she was going to go to Sunset and settle anything at all, she first had to get to her. Which, given that she had Sunset’s phone and didn’t know where she was going, made the situation difficult to say the least. She thought desperately for a few moments, wandering aimlessly around the room and chewing her thumb, trying to imagine where Sunset might go.

“What had she said?” she muttered to herself. “Someone I should have gone to see long before now.”

She passed the window, and her heart leapt in her chest. A streak of gold and red made her press her nose to the glass. There she was! Heading for the school.

Leaping into her boots, Sonata dashed for the door, swung on the handle and closed it again all in one fluid movement that would probably have ripped the door off its hinges if she hadn’t been so light.

It took exactly three minutes and seven seconds to burst out onto the main road beyond the plaza and begin sprinting towards the school. The crowd was thin in the hours before the five o’clock rush, and Sonata could still see Sunset’s mane of fiery hair between the people giving her shocked looks and lurching out of her way.

When she came to the road across which the school statue stood, Sunset had stepped behind the statue’s base, hiding her from view. Hopping with impatience as the traffic light ground the traffic slowly to a halt, Sonata crossed the distance in three seconds and made for the statue. She’d kept her eye on the spot, barely allowing herself to blink. So when she turned the corner and found no Sunset, she gaped in surprise.

She turned left towards the massive horseshoe school sign. She turned right in the direction of the quaint little houses that bordered that side of the school. She walked a full circle around the statue, unable to comprehend what was going on. Where did she go?

“Excuse me,” Sonata said to a passing student evidently emerging from a holiday class. The girl gave her a slightly wary look.

“Yes?” she asked.

“Did you see Sunset Shimmer go by here?”

The girl blinked and looked instinctively left and right. “Um... no?”

Sonata sighed. “She was just here. I saw her by the statue and then she seemed to just disappear.”

The girl frowned slightly. “The school horse statue?” she asked.

“Yeah, this one here,” Sonata jabbed a thumb at it. It was right behind her after all; which other statue could they be talking about?

“You do know that the back of the base here is, like, a portal or something, right?”

Sonata looked at the girl for a long moment. Then she raised a hand and pressed her palm hard against one ear. “I’m sorry, what did you say?”

“This bit of the statue’s base,” the girl gestured at the smooth marble surface. “It’s a doorway or something to some other world. Sometimes anyway.”

“A portal to Equestria?” Sonata said, as though to herself.

“Yeah I think that’s what it’s called. Doesn’t work all the time though I think, because I know a whole bunch of people tried to get in after that Twilight girl left the first time but it didn’t work.”

“But it works now?” Sonata asked. The girl just shrugged. “Did she go to Equestria?” Sonata breathed.

Experimentally, she pressed a hand to a corner of the base. It seemed solid enough, but as she moved her hand to the side towards the centre, she felt a familiar tingle. Something she hadn’t felt in a long time.

“Magic!” she cried excitedly. The girl behind her jumped slightly.

“Uh...” she ventured, but before she could think of anything else to say, Sonata pressed hard into the centre of the marble block and slipped straight through with a “Whoa!” of surprise.

The girl contemplated whether or not she should go and get help or something. But then her phone rang and her mind was taken up with altogether more pleasant distractions as she walked away.


Sonata tumbled through lights and wind. There wasn’t very much time to think about her surroundings before she toppled out again, but as she lay on the hard floor with her eyes closed tight, the lights reminded her a little of passing scenery when she’d been on the train to Baltimore, except with far more colour. Also a curious feeling had come over her as she fell, as though her entire body had dispersed in many directions at once before zooming back together again.

She pushed herself up, but her arms felt strange. She tried to flex her fingers. Then came the first moment of panic. Her eyes shot open, and she saw that her fingers were gone. Instead, a shiny black hoof surrounded by short, dusky blue hair stood in place of where her hand had been. She tried to stand up, but instantly found herself uneasy on her feet and toppled onto her back. From this undignified position she saw that her feet too had turned into hooves. She also became aware that she was naked. She waited for a feeling of insecurity and instinctual need to hide herself to overcome her, but after several moments of high-quality pausing, concluded that the feeling just wasn’t there.

Experimentally, she rolled over and raised herself on her arms and legs, or hooves she supposed, and instantly felt a rightness to the position. Which disappeared when she tried to step forward and somehow managed to collide one of her back legs with her front ones, causing her to topple face-first into the cold, crystal floor.

“Ow...” she squeaked. Even so small a sound echoed faintly around the empty chamber. Looking up, she took in her surroundings for the first time.

She was in a wide, circular room with many doorways leading off to innumerable long hallways. Hangings dangled from the ceiling emblazoned with Twilight’s cutie mark, and seven thrones made from a more reflective crystal than the walls and floor stood in a circle at the chamber’s centre around a golden platform. Sonata stepped carefully towards the nearest chair, which was emblazoned at its peak by three blue diamonds, and gazed at her reflection. Her eyes widened at the sight of herself. She turned her pony-body this way and that, her mouth falling open.

“I’m adorable!” she cried. “Ears! Mane! *gasp* Cutie mark!” she turned her backside to move it closer to the shining crystal. The mark took the shape of a heart covered over by – to Sonata’s astonishment – a jagged-handled paintbrush. “Wasn’t it a music note before?” she wondered aloud.

With a little difficulty, she trotted over to the largest of the doors, and pushed it open. A land of fantasy spread out before her. No familiar gleam of steel, glass, and concrete, but rolling fields of green, high mountains, and a quaint looking village with fairytale houses. The sky seemed bluer, the clouds shapely and even, and everything just seemed to burst with more colour.

“Equestria...” she breathed in awe. She’d dreamed about the place for years, imagined like her sisters coming back here to rule, to spread discord and chaos and feed from its terrible energies. Whilst that desire, that dream, had long since diminished to nothing, the thrill of being back was still almost overwhelming. That was until she heard a voice.

Over the cusp of a nearby hill rose several ponies. Sonata was so taken by their utterly adorable appearances that she at first didn’t notice exactly who they were. Before she got a good look however, she pulled her head back in through the door. She had an idea that her appearance might not be welcome, especially if they knew who she was. At best her presence was questionable, at worst, criminal.

She headed back inside, dithered in the throne room for a few moments, and then spotted the way that she’d gotten her as the only thing in the room that could give any true cover. A tall mirror surrounded by a medley of oddly assorted machinery stood apparently in pride of place against one wall, an old journal perched atop the frame. Not stopping to contemplate this odd sculpture, she dashed behind the mirror and tried to be inconspicuous as the doors to the chamber swung open.

“-wonder what would happen if two Rarity’s tried working on the same dress,” said a familiar, twangy voice.

“I’m sure we would get on fabulously,” retorted a more refined speech.

Sonata risked poking her head out ever so slightly from the more shadowy side of the mirror, and gazed into the chamber. As they all talked, Sonata recognised her friends; or at least, their Equestrian counterparts. Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Twilight, Rainbow, and...

“Wow...” Sonata sighed as her magenta eyes slid over a golden-coated pony with a fiery red and yellow mane. Sunset trotted between the others in the group, her expression uncertain.

“Thanks for the tour everyone.” Sunset was a little flushed, as though she hadn’t expected the kindness the ponies around her were giving. “It’s a little strange seeing Equestria again after a few years.”

“The way you talk about the other world,” Rainbow Dash commented, hovering idly over all of their heads. “It kind of sounds like Baltimare or Las Pegasus.”

“It sort of is,” Sunset conceded. She bit her lip, and Sonata had to shove her hoof into her mouth to stop herself making a sound at the expression. “Is um... is Princess Celestia coming soon?”

“You don’t have to worry,” Twilight assured her, perhaps sensing the anxiety in Sunset’s voice. “The Princess cancelled her trip to Roam in order to see you. She’s very happy you’ve come to see her.”

Sunset still seemed ill at ease. Sonata wanted to hug her, or at least hold her hand.

Hoof.

“You’ve come a long way from that night you stole Twilight’s crown,” Pinkie Pie said, patting Sunset’s back in a comradely sort of way.

“Thanks Pinkie,” Sunset said.

“And tried to use it to create an army of zombies to conquer Equestria,” Pinkie went on. “And tried to blow up Twilight and our alternate selves with a fireball, and—Mmph!”

“Yes, thank you Pinkie,” Twilight said pointedly, as the magical aura around the cushion now plugging Pinkie’s mouth dissipated.

“Honestly, I’m used to it,” Sunset admitted with a little smile.

“It’s awful big of you to come back and make right,” Applejack said to cover the awkwardness.

“I should have done it a long time ago,” Sunset said sadly. “To be blunt, I should never have left her tutelage. She did everything she could to help me, but I was too selfish, proud, and afraid to appreciate it.”

“The important thing is that you learned from it all,” Rarity put in.

“I’m sure the Princess will be glad to see you,” Fluttershy added.

“You’ve come so far since then,” Twilight said earnestly. “The Princess was so happy when I told her how you helped us.”

“Indeed I was.”


This was when Sonata got really scared. The room suddenly filled with a bright, white light, every nook and cranny, even the recesses of her trusty mirror was illuminated with celestial radiance. From the depths of the light appeared a tall, elegant figure, white coat shining, and golden accoutrements agleam. The tall alicorn bestowed a benevolent eye upon the scene, her flowing pastel mane dancing around her as though in a faint breeze.

Every figure in the room dropped to their knees, except for Twilight, who bowed her head. Sonata felt an overwhelming sense of fear rising up within her. She couldn’t have spoken the reason why; the alicorn was tall and imposing to be sure, but nothing about her spoke cruelty, malice, or vengeance. Yet Sonata felt herself cringing in the shadows, terrified of attracting the attention of the powerful being of light gracing the other ponies with her presence.

“It is good to see you again, my former student,” the alicorn said. She beamed down upon Sunset Shimmer, lowering her regal head and nudging at Sunset’s bowing form. Sunset raised her own head slightly, looking almost as frightened as Sonata felt, but the alicorn’s expression was encouraging. Sunset rose a little nervously, not quite able to meet the alicorn’s eye.

“It’s wonderful to see you as well, Princess Celestia,” Sunset stammered. Celestia directed a concerned gaze upon her former student, and then to Sonata’s surprise, lowered herself down to sit, and intertwined her long neck with Sunset’s own. Sonata knew instinctively that this was basically a hug in human terms, and despite her fear, felt a knot of jealousy develop in her stomach.

When the hug was over, Sunset looked marginally less nervous and took a deep breath, looking altogether more businesslike.

“I’ve come back to apologise to you, Princess,” she said, more confidently.

Celestia looked faintly surprised. “Do you feel this is something you need to do?” she asked, frowning slightly.

“I do,” Sunset stated without hesitation.

Celestia considered her for a moment or two. “Very well.”

Sunset took another steadying breath, and continued. “I’m sorry for my actions, for spurning your advice and guidance. I realise too late that I should have listened to you, understood that you wouldn’t have placed restrictions upon me if you didn’t believe there was sufficient reason to do so. I made stupid mistakes, bullied people, made them miserable. I stole Twilight’s crown and attempted to use it to invade Equestria, and tried to hurt Twilight and her friends in the process.”

Sonata and everpony else in the room listened in shocked silence to the speech. Celestia’s expression did not change from its slight frown.

“But—“ Twilight said, apparently understanding something, but Sunset cut her off.

“It is for these reasons that I’ve come back to apologise. To make amends for my crimes.” She lowered her gaze to the floor. “To accept the punishment that is due me.”

A long silence followed these words. The loudest silence Sonata had ever experienced, as though the air itself were tensing against her eardrums. Punishment...? she thought, feeling a chill.

“The punishment that is due you?” Celestia asked, as though just checking whether she had heard properly.

“Yes, Princess,” Sunset said, stoically. “I will accept whatever you deem fair.”

“Whatever I decide?”

“Anything.”

Princess Celestia gazed down at Sunset for a long while. Her expression was unfathomable. Sonata thought she detected a trace of disapproval in her eye, but it was hard to tell. The ponies around them all looked on with bated breath, eyes flicking between Sunset and Celestia.

“Very well then,” Celestia said, standing up. She rose to her full height, and lifted her head to peer down with great austerity upon her former student. “I shall bestow the punishment fitting your crimes.”

“P-P-Princess!” Twilight stammered. “You c-can’t be seri—“

“Please calm yourself, Princess Twilight Sparkle,” Celestia said, her voice low and commanding absolute attention. “As a ruler in Equestria, it is your duty and my own to carry out justice to the full extent of the law. We fail in our duties if we allow familiarity and fondness to distract us from what is right.”

Twilight looked as though she wanted to protest, and Sonata egged her silently on.

Please! she urged in her mind. Please! You can’t let this happen!

Sunset waited with head bowed, her eyes closed, awaiting her sentence.

“Sunset Shimmer,” Celestia began in resounding tones. “For your crimes against the nation of Equestria, I hereby sentence you.” She looked around at the assembled group, allowing the pause to wash over them like icy water. “To a fine of fifty bits.”


An almost comical silence fell over the chamber. Sunset looked up into her former teacher’s face directly for the first time, looking bewildered. Twilight’s mouth fell open in shock. Everypony else blinked, muttered, whispered, and fidgeted, all wondering whether or not they had heard correctly. Sonata tried to dig a finger into her auditory canal, sure she’d heard wrong, but her hoof wouldn’t fit into her adorable pony ears.

“I’m sorry?” Sunset stuttered. “I don’t think I heard you correctly.”

“I have made myself perfectly clear,” Celestia intoned, ominously. “You must pay a fine of fifty bits.” She waved a regal hoof. “My decision has been made. The total shall be subtracted from the account you left in Canterlot First National.”

“But...” Sunset halted, evidently at a loss for what to say.

“Princess,” Twilight began, recovering first. “Might I ask... how do you come to that punishment?”

“Princess Twilight,” Celestia declared, “Equestrian law is clear. The penalty for petty thievery is fifty bits.”

“Petty thievery?” Twilight asked, more puzzled than ever. “Hm, I suppose the crown didn’t actually have an established value.”

“But everything else,” Sunset began in a tone like complaining. “Everything I did—“

“Was done outside of the realm of Equestria,” Celestia overrode her. “I have no jurisdiction to punish you for things you might or might not have done beyond the borders of Equestria. Especially not potential things for which you have already received due punishment for.”

“But...” Sunset said again, so faintly no one seemed to hear her.

“Sunset Shimmer,” Celestia said patiently. “The purpose of punishment is not to even out disputes. Some mistakes are too large ever to be repaid by mere punishment. The point of punishment is to dissuade ponies from repeating their mistakes. To help them learn that what they did was wrong, and hopefully why it was wrong. You have learned the error of your past mistakes, as evidenced by Twilight’s commendation of your reform, and the fact that you’ve come here, willingly, to apologise to me.” She smiled warmly down at Sunset. “You’ve punished yourself far more than I ever could, or would want to. And it is my wish that you no longer hold yourself to the pony you once were.”

Sonata wiped her eyes and stifled a sniffle. The other ponies were all smiling at Sunset encouragingly, all tension gone.

“I... I’ll try,” Sunset said quietly. She looked marginally happier than before.

Celestia gave her a motherly smile, and waved her hoof again. “I hope that you have some time to spend with Twilight and her friends.”

“Yeah!” Pinkie cried. “There definitely needs to be a party of some sort. It might be a little cobbled together on such short notice, but hey, Gummy will be there.” She plucked a live crocodile seemingly from nowhere.

The other ponies declared their eagerness for the idea as well, and despite Sunset’s amiable protestations, she was whisked away in a flurry of pressing hooves and beating wings. Only Princess Celestia remained behind, smiling affectionately after them.

“I think she’s going to be just fine,” she said, apparently to herself. “She seems to be in good company.” With that, she walked sedately out of the chamber, leaving an echoing silence behind her.

Sonata wasn’t the smartest of people, or ponies, but even she could read a situation like that one. Stepping out from behind the mirror, she supposed that since she wasn’t a pile of ashes, or imprisoned in some ghastly place far from company, or a decent restaurant, she should consider herself lucky. If it had been Discord, or that Sombra guy, she didn’t like to think what might have happened now that she was without her magic.

She peeped her head out of the main door again, and could see far away the little group of ponies with Sunset at their centre. It filled Sonata with a pleasant warmth, and it was with renewed spirits and a return of her characteristic smile that she turned away. Forgetting how awkward her four-legged walk felt, she skipped back to the mirror, and back to the human world.


Sunset returned late in the day when the evening light was beginning to fade. Sonata, splattered in paint as usual, stood at her easel.

“Finished!” she announced as Sunset set down her bag.

“Huh?” Sunset asked, caught off guard.

“I’m finally done,” Sonata raised both arms to chest height, cackling a mad laugh. “My finest creation is finally completed!”

Sunset stared, eyebrows raised, as Sonata came to the end of her maniacal laughter.

“Oh,” she said, the corners of her mouth quivering. “That’s great.” She looked at all of the drying canvas on the wall, and the hefty pile of already dried ones stacked in the corner. “So what do we do now?”

“Don’t worry about that.” Sonata waved an airy hand. “Maud’s going to come over tomorrow to give this all to Rarity. As soon as she’s done, it’ll be ready to show. We did get all of our neighbours permission, right?”

“Yeah, they all agreed days ago.” Sunset stood around for a moment or two, simply watching her. “Um, Sonata.” She cleared her throat. “About err...”

“Hey Sunset?” Sonata interrupted, plainly not listening to her. “The Power Pony Movie is on at eight.” She picked up a large bowl from the coffee table. “I got the popcorn already.”

Sunset blinked, her expression frozen in that awkward transition between one emotion to another. Sonata grinned back, her face covered in red and gold paint. Then Sunset smiled, and began to laugh.

“Wow,” she chuckled. “That is so corny.”

“Hey now,” Sonata gave her a playful shove. “No bad jokes during the movie. Power Ponies is a serious business.”


- To be Continued