• Published 26th Apr 2012
  • 2,036 Views, 20 Comments

Kindness's Gift - chibiachika



Fluttershy's been acting odd, and one night, she's missing. Her friends want to hear her story.

  • ...
2
 20
 2,036

Laughter

Rarity pondered for a moment. “And you say she lives in Ponyville now? I’ve not seen anypony with that name. Then again, that’s more of Pinkie’s thing to know everypony’s name.” A box started to crawl up the street towards the Carousel Boutique. Pinkie Pie peeked out from under the box.

“Can I get a little help?” Rarity levitated the “Fluttershy Trap” off of Pinkie.

“I’ve had no luck in catching her! I set up these traps, and put her favorite cake under it, and then I go set up some more traps, and then I see somepony’s put a cake out into the middle of the street, and I’m all like ‘OHMYGOSH’ and I dive for it and get trapped. Who would even want to trap me!?” The party pony looked at her three friends. “Oh, hi Fluttershy! I didn’t even see you there!” She turned back to Rarity, “But yeah, I didn’t even see the slightest hint of her!” Rarity narrowed her eyes in irritation, and pointed at Fluttershy. “What? It’s just Fluttershy. Oh hey! Fluttershy, maybe you could help us find Fluttershy! She’s gone missing!” Applejack brought her hoof to her face in irritation. “What’s wrong, Applejack? We need all the help we can get! And Fluttershy would know where Fluttershy might be better than anyone else.” Pinkie paused for a second, “Ooooooohhhhhhhhh...You found her! Where were you?”

“Oh, I was nowhere important...just...um...tending the animals...Hey!” Fluttershy tried to struggle against the magic pulling her hair, but Rarity didn’t let up.

“Look at this, Pinkie!” Rarity pulled up the lock of hair with the pin on it, and Pinkie’s eyes widened and a big grin crossed her face.

“Ooo, pretty! Wait, is that...? Who is it!? I didn’t even know there was a pony dating you!”

“Her name is...Violyre...” Fluttershy lowered her head.

“Vio...lyre? Are they new? I’ve never heard of them before! Is it possible for me to have not met a pony!?” Her mane started to deflate. She never missed welcoming a new pony to town.

“No, Pinkie, you may not have lived in Ponyville at the time. She...moved here before Rainbow Dash did her first sonic rainboom. You were probably still on the rock farm.” Pinkie’s mane poofed back to normal with Fluttershy’s response.

“But...I still don’t know the name...”

“That’s not too surprising, actually...”


Ponyville was quiet today. Twilight Sparkle, unlike any other resident of the town, worried on these days. These were the types of days that anything could happen, whether is be Pinkie’s twitchy tail, a shadowy figure causing chaos, or even an attack from a mythical beast or a god. She had seen all of those happen on a day much like this day.

Three colts were walking through the marketplace. The largest of the group complained “It was much more fun when she’d answer the door.” The second added in “Maybe we should find somepony else to try to prank!” The smallest of the group, in a different tone than the other two, said “I kind of feel sorry for her now.” The group stopped.

“Oh come on, it was fun pranking that freak!”

“You’re more of a chicken than she is!”

“But don’t you think that maybe Violyre wants to be left alone?”

“Excuse me kids, did you just say ‘Violyre?’” Twilight approached the group.

“Yeah, so?”

“Can you tell me where she lives?”

“She’s on the house at the end of the road, but don’t even bother. She won’t answer the door for anypony.” Twilight’s scientific mindset ignored the final part of the colt’s message, and she galloped down the road.

The house had seen better days. Paint was chipped, the exterior walls of the house had been vandalized, windows broken, and even the yard was far from neat. Twilight wondered how anypony could even live in a house like this. If she didn’t know any better, she’d just assume it abandoned.

She managed to clear the front path of debris and weeds, and knocked on the front door. “Hello? Is this the home of Miss Violyre?” No noise came from the house. She went to knock again, and the door creaked open. A weak crying sound could be heard down the hallway. As Twilight stepped inside, she noticed that the interior of the house may have looked just as bad as the outside. The layers of dust must have been at least a centimeter thick.

As she slowly walked down the hallway, the sobbing was coming more into focus. “Miss Violyre? Are you alright? Do you need help?” As Twilight stepped into the room, she caught eye of a scene that would stay with her.

A purple unicorn with a messy mane falling over her face, wasn’t acknowledging the presence of the new figure in the room. Her gaze was looking straight at Twilight, but it was empty. Her eyes were red and puffy, as if she had been crying for a long time. She had herself curled up against the far wall. Her ribs were showing under her fur, and she looked like she hadn’t eaten in a long time. She quivered in her spot as Twilight took careful steps towards her.

“Are you Violyre? My name is Twilight Sparkle.” she said softly, not quite sure how to approach this pony. “I used to live in Canterlot, but I moved to Ponyville recently. I heard your name once from Princess Celestia.” The frightened unicorn didn’t react to a single word. Twilight slowly reached her hoof out to comfort her, and got the first reaction she saw: A flinch. She was still a good foot away from Violyre.

Twilight thought to herself. There’s no way that she was going to be able to do anything to find out about this odd unicorn. The mare was scared. No, scared wasn’t the right word. She was “broken.” But what could have happened? Her scientific curiosity turned to sympathy.

“Violyre, I want to help you. I don’t expect you to trust me so soon, but maybe little by little, I can help you.”


Months had passed, and Twilight had only made so much progress with her ward. Violyre still cowered in her room, but had been convinced to eat meals that she was brought. Twilight was ecstatic the other day, having finally heard the broken mare talk. “Hello...” was the only word she said upon seeing her new friend. This gave Twilight an idea.

“Are...are you certain you need me? Isn’t there somepony better you could ask?”

“Fluttershy, she’s the only pony I’ve met that’s said less in months of meetings than you did when I met you. I think that having another quiet friend might break her shell a little more.”

“Well, if you think I can help...I’ll do it...”

Twilight opened the door to the house, and the two walked inside. The house was a lot cleaner, mostly due to the work of the visitor. “Hey, it’s Twilight! I brought a guest with me! I think you’ll like her!”

“Um...hello...oh, you never told me her name...”

“Her name is Vio-” Twilight paused to an unfamiliar noise in the house: Hoofsteps. “...is there someone else in here?” The red-maned pony peeked out of her room.

“Violyre!?” Fluttershy’s eyes widened.

“Fluttershy!?” Violyre ran down the hall from her room, and hugged the yellow pastel pony tightly, crying.

“I missed you...and I never got to thank you for saving my life...”

“My parents...they forced me to move to Ponyville after...after the accident...”

“I’m so sorry that happened to you...I wish it would’ve been me instead of you...”

Violyre looked Fluttershy in the eyes, watching as tears started to form. “I...I don’t regret doing it...and I would do it again for you...”

“But...why? You almost died...”

“Because...because you’re the reason I earned my cutie mark...I earned it saving you...and I did it because I love you...” Both ponies started blushing.

“You...you do...?”

“I-I’m sorry...” Violyre shrinks back slightly, but can’t run with Fluttershy holding her. “Please don’t think of me as a ‘freak’...”

“I know I promised you that we’d be friends forever, but I don’t think I can keep that promise...”

“I understand...” Violyre turns her head away, but Fluttershy turned it back, and kissed her.

“I have to break that promise because I want to be with you...I love you too...I always cared for you, for all the times you stepped up for me. but when I thought I lost you...”

“Well, I think I’ll let you two...get acquainted with each other...” Twilight’s words go unheard by the two as she quickly headed out the door.