• Published 28th Apr 2012
  • 11,401 Views, 1,203 Comments

A Hero Of War (UNEDITED) - DontWakeTheNeighbour



Rainbow Dash finds herself on the frontline in one of the most fearsome battles in existance.

  • ...
35
 1,203
 11,401

Hope

As Rainbow Dash stumbled through the forest she could feel the relentless hunger in her stomach starting to cloud her senses, she hadn’t stopped running for 2 hours. Even in the running of the leaves she never ran that fast or far before, she began to go through her memories as a filly and when she was with her friends. She began to picture them in her head.

Twilight Sparkle, lavender eyes, straight purple mane with a pink highlighted stripe, kind, helpful, can be a bit of an egghead sometimes.

Applejack, green eyes, blond mane fashioned into a ponytail which hung over her shoulder, honest, hardworking, would always put herself before her friends.

Rarity, sky blue eyes, curly purple mane, generous, workaholic, a bit of a drama queen.

Fluttershy, blue eyes, long pink mane, with additional hair extensions, quiet, loving, giving, always needing somepony to help her.

And pinkie pie. …… Blue eyes, pink puffy mane, random.

*Growl*

“Urgh. …. I’m starving!”

She began to look around the woods; her eyes started scanning for something, anything to eat. She clenched her stomach, squeezing it tight despite the bruises. Just then she caught a glimpse of something, an apple? Just in front of her gaze she spotted a decaying green apple on the floor, she looked up, she saw probably one of the biggest apple trees she had ever seen in her life.

Her mouth watered as her stomach churned, with one flap off her wings she was air born, she circled the tree before hovering in front of a branch. She nudged and apple with her hoof, it wasn’t a hallucination.

“Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!!”

She snatched the first apple from the tree before sinking her teeth into the fruit, it was juicy, crunchy and so much larger than what she was used to in Ponyville, but she agreed they were nowhere near as tasty as Applejack’s. One after another she chewed furiously consuming one apple at a time, she screeched in joy, feeling her stomachs torturing hunger finally subside.

She began to hum to herself as she swooped through the air, hooves full of apples; she dove to the ground landing on her feet as she gorged herself on the fruity delight. She started to tear up, this was the second to best feeling she had ever experienced in this world.

After eating at least 20 fresh green apples she slumped onto the floor, placing a hoof on her stomach as she laid on the prickly grass, feeling the cool breeze sweep across her coat. She sighed, before she smile soon deteriorated.

“How the hay am I going to find them? …. I don’t even know where they are going.”

After a few minutes passed, she lifted herself off the ground, feeling queasy after consuming so many apples at once. She begins to flap her wings slowly pulling herself into the air, feeling noticeably heavier than before. She weaved through the thick branches of the trees, before emerging out of the woods, hovering in the sky as she looked in all directions.

She saw the building where she just came from, she shuddered at the sigh before turning around to see the coast. She reached into her feathers before pulling out the bloodstained photo of Bishop, she smiled, feeling her strength build up before she put the picture back In her feathers and taking off into the clouds.

Rainbow Dash looked into the distance, focusing her gaze on the coast as she glided through the air, her left wing still burning from her past injury. She began to look down, searching for any signs of movement below, but all she could see was empty space, she tried to clear her mind from the enormity of her task, she pressed on.

*BOOM!!*

A blinding light knocked her off balance, she plummeted to the ground, only just managing to flap her wings at the last second, softening the still rough landing. She rolled on the ground like a log before hitting a tree, the wind was knocked out of her as she opened her eyes. Was she being attacked? Did she hit something without seeing it? Not ready to take a chance she crouched, ready to throw herself off the ground, but something caught her eye.

She stood normally, squinting her eyes as she saw something glisten in the distance, she step forward, taking a closer look. She began to walk closer, she could see that whatever it was, it was stuck in a tree. As she walked up to it she gasped, she recognized what it was, she leaped into the air before grabbing the object with her teeth.

It was firmly lodged in the bark as she used her bodyweight to furiously yank at it, until.

*SNAP!*

It broke free, she fell to the ground again on her rump, she winced in pain as she dropped the object from her mouth and into her hooves. She couldn’t believe her eyes, the golden shine, the ancient marking on the base, the large lightning shaped jewel engraved into the metal. Her heart skipped a beat, she felt her first glimmer of hope as she held the item into the light.

“M-my element!”