• Published 28th Apr 2012
  • 11,387 Views, 1,203 Comments

A Hero Of War (UNEDITED) - DontWakeTheNeighbour



Rainbow Dash finds herself on the frontline in one of the most fearsome battles in existance.

  • ...
35
 1,203
 11,387

Sympothy

Rainbow managed to have a peaceful rest, no sudden wake ups, no headaches and thankfully, no nightmares. For the first time in days she had a peaceful sleep. She woke up, refreshed and happy, just realizing the she was still laying next the still sleeping sergeant. She noticed it was still dark and she didn't want to disturb him after the stressful day everyone had yesterday. Trying not to wake him up, she slowly shuffled towards the side of the bed before jumping to the ground, a brief moment of pain caught her off guard, making her stumble.

She felt refreshed but then an unpleasant smell filled her nose, it was her dirty coat. She gagged at the stench, she hadn't washed since she first woke up in this strange world. She needed a shower, bad.

She slowly walked out of the ward, looking at the sleeping platoon as she smiled, she had grown to like her new and only friends in this harsh world. Well, except Dixon, who she noticed wasn't in his bed. She looked around but he wasn't in the room. She walked out of the large room, hoping to find a shower or a source of clean water somewhere to wash herself. She was never known for being that much bothered about her hygiene, but even she thought she smelt like a half ton of compost.

She turned right, walking into a dark corridor, she was nervous and didn't like the thought that Dixon was out there somewhere, maybe even watching her. But just then, she heard something, she couldn't tell what it was or where it came from as it echoed through the corridor, but it was somewhat farmiliar. She paused waiting for it to happen again. Then it did, she could hear that it was coming from in front of her, she slowly walked up the corridor, looking around for the source.

After walking a few yards it got louder, she still couldn't tell what it was but she could tell where it was. She looked to her left, the noise was coming from behind the closed door in front of her, noticing a few bullet holes in it's frame she walked closer to take a peek inside. After letting her eyes adjust she could see a black silhouette inside, at first she thought it was an enemy soldier inside, but then she saw the unmistakable bandage on his upper thigh. It was Dixon, she leaned closer, noticing he was holding something square, a harmonica.

He began to play a strangely, gentle tune, which Rainbow Dash thought was odd considering he was such an aggressive being. He was stumbling around the room, a scent of alcohol hit her nose, almost making her eyes water at how strong it was. She saw bottles scattered on the floor, she then saw a picture on the table, a woman, Dixon then staggered towards the piece of paper before picking it up. He stared at it before grabbing another bottle, he smashed the top of it against the table and began to drink out of the broken bottle. She then let out a little sob.

Dixon then grabbed the picture with both hands before ripping it in two, quietly sobbing as he did, dropping the bottle by accident. The sergeant grunted as the broken glass slipped out of his hand cutting it deeply. He clenched his hand hard, despite the gash, squeezing blood from the wound. He then angrily shouted to the floor before he fell to his knees.

Rainbow Dash backed away from the door, she felt sorry for him, despite the fact he was mean to her, she couldn't help but fell pity for him. Rainbow Dash could clearly see he was in a lot of pain, both mentally and physically. She looked away from the door, wanting to help but she didn't how he would react in his drunken state. She turned back to the corridor, realizing she got sidetracked, she noticed a map of the hospital pinned to the wall. She looked at it, noticing most of it was either missing or burnt, but to her luck she saw where she was and almost as if the words were jumping from the paper, she saw the words 'showers' below the German text above it.

After studying her surroundings she knew where to go, she looked back one last time at the damaged door she just walked from before she carried on walking down the corridor. She still couldn't grasp how such a strong and arrogant man was reduced to crying in a puddle of alcohol, did he loose someone he loved? Was it the person in the picture?

She continued to think about Dixon before realizing she almost passed the room she was supposed to go to. She hopped back before opening the door, she did it slowly, not knowing what was behind it, she saw three doors in front of her, not knowing what any of them were she instinctively walked to the one in the middle.

Luckily, as she opened it she saw that it was the right one, there was a line of showers right in front of her, the sight was a huge relief for Rainbow Dash as she could finally clean herself. She galloped as fast as she could to the first one she saw before she stopped, trying to figure out how it worked. The large metallic button was a give away, she reared up before jumping, hitting the button with her hoof firmly. As she landed on the ground she heard a loud bang, it made her jump but more spluttering noises came from behind the wall, she stood underneath the shower waiting for the precious water.

*BANG!*

The showers pipes jerked before a brown sticky mess was spat into Rainbow Dash's face.

"Eeeeeeeeeewwww! Gross!"

She wiped the slurry from her eyes before jumping to press the button again, this time backing away. The same happened again, the shower head gurgled before more of the brown mess was sprayed onto the floor. She furrowed her eyebrows before running to the next one, but that also did the same, this time completely covering her coat.

After testing the other showers Rainbow Dash found herself left with the last shower in the room, annoyed and completely covered in, Celestia knows what, she leaped this time slamming the button as hard as she could, the chrome button then flew off like a Champaign cork, striking Rainbow Dash in her chest. The Pegasus flew across the room before landing on her head, As she grunted in pain she opened her eyes to see water spraying from the hole in the wall. Like a man in a desert she quickly picked herself off the ground before running towards the water.

Rainbow Dash shivered as she stood in the cold spray, feeling her coat being caressed, her mane being washed for the first time in days. She hopped on the spot moaning in relief as she washed off the dirt and blood, trying carefully not to let the water seep into her bandages. She started scrubbing the blood off her body, the stubborn stains took a few minutes to clean but eventually she could see the blue in her fur and eventually she even managed to see her cutie mark again. When she finished scrubbing furiously at her coat, Rainbow Dash sat sat on the wet floor, closing her eyes as she let the cool water pool down her body and into the drain.