• Published 27th Oct 2014
  • 7,306 Views, 169 Comments

Love or Power? Which Will You Choose? - atomicpuffin



What happens when two beings in power are supposed to get married but find themselves attracted to somepony else? Only one way to find out, as we watch what they choose...Love?or Power?

  • ...
24
 169
 7,306

Epilogue

"I can't do this!" She shouted and held onto the bed post as Cadence and Rarity pulled on her back legs. However, no matter how hard they pulled nothing could budge the mare. Cadence sighed and released her grip, she glared at the mare, then smirked.

"Alright...I didn't want to do this to you but you've left me no choice."

Rarity looked at Cadence puzzled and then smiled as she realized what her sister was going to do.

"DISCORD!"

"NO!"

"You called ladies, how can...um…" He stopped as he looked at the mess the room was in. Then he grinned down at his wife. Fluttershy looked up at him with her big eyes, silently begging him to save her.

"Can you two give me a moment alone with my wife? I think she needs some encouragement." He whispered and the other two mares nodded, both looking relieved at having the stubborn mare off their hooves. Once they shut the door, Discord turned back to her and Fluttershy hung her head.

"I can't do this Discord...I just can't…" She felt tears fill her eyes, she hated to disappoint him so, but this was one thing she couldn't go through with. He moved closer to her and lifted her into his arms. She wrapped her arms around his neck and buried her face against his neck.

"Hush now my love...What's wrong? You can tell me." He whispered into her ear and his gentle voice instantly calmed her down. It was amazing how much he affected her with just a simple word. She sighed and keeping her face hidden, whispered,

"I can't go out there and face all those ponies alone! Discord...they're all going to be watching me! What if I trip, what if I faint, what if I-"

"What if the sky catches on fire and your muzzle falls off?" He interrupted her and the absurdness of his sentence made her giggle. She continued to laugh and he pulled her away from his shoulder to smile down at her.

"That's better. Fluttershy, you will be fine. It's just a simple ceremony with the servants and then all you have to do is go out onto the balcony and wave. It's just a formality to let the kingdom know you're here. We'll have to do the same thing when little one is born…" His eyes softened as he gently laid his paw over her stomach, she rested her own hoof over his paw and smiled.

It still felt like a dream, being married to him and starting a family, she was so afraid that at some point she would wake up. What she didn't know was that Discord felt the exact same way.

"Now darling...please calm down and I'll take you to the ceremony."

She started to panic again and struggled out of his hold. He sighed as she dove under the bed. She covered her eyes and whimpered to herself, when she heard the bed creak, she knew he had sat on the edge.

"I can't have all those eyes looking at me...Discord please!" She pleaded with him and heard him groan. She could just imagine him running his paw over his face in frustration and the image made her giggle.

"Now what are you laughing at under there?" He grumbled and his voice only made her laugh harder. She didn't know what was wrong with her, but for some reason she couldn't stop laughing. She heard him snap and squeaked as she felt his arms around her again. She opened her eyes and looked up into his grinning face, she frowned.

"That's cheating…" She whispered and he chuckled. He nuzzled her neck and gave it a gentle nip, she shivered at the touch.

"So is acting absolutely adorable when I'm trying to be firm with you...darling everything will be fine. You can do this, I know you can, and you know why?" He whispered against her fur. She sighed and looked up at him with tears in her eyes.

"But that's just it Discord…" She pulled out of his grip and flew to her window. She sat down on the seat and stared outside, she could see ponies walking towards the castle. She could feel his eyes on her as she continued to look out the window.

"That's the problem...we won't be doing this together...I'll have to face all those ponies on my own because you won't be beside me." She whispered and waited. He didn't respond so she turned to look at him, he was still sitting on the edge of her bed. His head was down, as were his ears and his arms were crossed over his chest.

"Darling...you...you know why I can't…"

"I know...but that doesn't make it any easier on me Discord. I know that you can't face them...it's just...it's going to be hard facing one of my biggest fears...alone…" She began to softly cry and hated showing this weakness in front of him. After everything she had faced with Black Widow and Marrow, you would think this would be a piece of cake. Not for her though, she was so shy and timid that the idea of all those unknown ponies looking at her was more frightening than a changeling horde.

She felt his hands on her shoulders and she turned to lean her head against his chest. He held her against him, not saying anything, just being there to offer her his strength. She sniffled and pulled away, wiping her tears and hiding behind her mane.

"I'm sorry...I know I shouldn't be acting this way…"

"Nonsense, you're the queen. You can act however you want and no pony here would say anything about it...just look at me!"

She looked up again and couldn't help the giggle that escaped as she watched Discord juggle on the ceiling. He smiled and floated back down to her, he brushed her mane out of her eyes and placed a soft kiss on her lips.

"There now...I'm the one who needs to be sorry anyways. I know that I should be by your side through this...and I will be...just...just not where any pony can see me."

She looked up surprised by this, her eyes widening and seeing her shock made Discord laugh. He cupped her face and wiped away the rest of her tears,

"Oh my love, did you think I would leave you completely alone during this? No I will be off to the side watching you from my shadows...but I will be there for you my dearest."

She smiled, feeling better knowing that he would still be close enough that if she needed him, she could count on him. She hugged him again and whispered,

"Okay...I love you Discord...I'll do this...for you."

He sighed and hugged her tight again and rubbed his snout against her mane. He whispered back,

"I love you too darling Fluttershy...I don't know what I would do without you…you bring light into my life." He pulled back and kissed her. She sighed and he groaned in response, deepening the kiss. She giggled and tried to push him away, however he was very persistent. When his hands began to run along her body she knew where this was heading.

"Discord...honey...I just agreed to go and now...you're the one keeping me from going!" She laughed as his tongue ran along the side of her neck. He growled lightly at her and whispered,

"Well I can't help it if my wife is too irresistible! They've waited this long for a queen, they can wait a few more minutes."


The crowd cheered as the small crown was placed upon her head by Discord. She smiled up at him and he smiled down at her lovingly as he took her hoof in his claws, helping her rise. It felt strange to have the weight sitting on her head, even though the crown was small and delicate it was still odd to have it sitting in her hair. The crown was silver with different gems adorning the sides. She had to admit, it was beautiful, very elegant and yet simple. She smiled as she thought that Discord must have designed it for her.

Discord spoke, bringing her out of her observations and reminding her of what was coming next.

"Everypony, may I present to you, Queen Fluttershy of Draconia!" He bowed to her and all in attendance shouted,

"All hail Queen Fluttershy!" As they too bowed. Fluttershy felt her cheeks burning from all the attention. Especially since her friends and the other queens were also bowing to her. She gulped and gave all of them a weak smile, then she jumped when she felt his paw on her shoulder.

"Come love, it's time…" He whispered in her ear and she began to shiver as she looked to the balcony doors being pulled open. She moved closer to them, the whole time her legs were wobbling, threatening to give out on her.

"Relax darling...it'll be over before you know it. I love you...you can do this." He whispered into her ear and his voice did something towards her nerves. She took a deep breath and looked up into his deep red eyes, seeing the love shining in them made her heart swell. She nodded and decided she could do this...for him. She waited until Flash announced to all the ponies below the castle,

"Citizens of Draconia! It is my great honor to present to you, our queen, Queen Fluttershy of Draconia!"

She held her head high and walked out into the sunlight, hearing the cheering below and thought to herself.

I can do this...I have to...for him...no more shadows…


Discord felt his heart swell with pride as he watched her, she was so beautiful. He stood to the side, hidden in his shadows as he watched her, his brave wife. She was standing at the edge, looking down over their kingdom and waving at all the ponies below. He chanced a peek below and watched as the crowd took in the beauty of their new queen. He could see many stallions turn to stone at the sight of her and couldn't help the chuckle that escaped him, he had felt close to the same that night in his music room.

His eyes moved to Flash next, who was smiling at Fluttershy as well. Discord felt a small pain in his heart knowing that soon his friend would be leaving him. Princess Twilight had been given the kingdom that Blueblood used to rule and Flash would be going with her to be by her side. The two would do wonders for the dying kingdom, still, he would miss the stallion.

Of course, he wouldn't be too lonely, he smiled as his gaze returned to his darling wife. She seemed to be doing better in the spotlight than she thought she would. She was smiling brightly at all the ponies below and waving much more enthusiastically than before. He leaned his arm against the stone wall and rested his head against it as he smiled at her.

The citizens were already falling in love with her, he could feel it radiating through the air. In turn Fluttershy seemed to be softening towards her new role, he felt that they would be fine...too bad neither needed him. He turned away suddenly as the thought brought him unwanted pain.

Today was not a day to be thinking like this, he turned back to her. Today was for her, to show her that this was where she belonged, that he hadn't made a mistake in choosing her. She would make a wonderful queen, their subjects would love her for all eternity, just as he would.

She turned her head and met his eyes, although he was hidden in the shadows, he knew she could still see him. She smiled at him and he returned her smile, then she surprised him by flying to him. He wrapped his arms around her and gave her a gentle kiss.

"There, that wasn't so bad now was it?" He whispered into her ear and she giggled, but didn't answer him. She pulled out of his hold and had a strange look in her eyes. He raised an eyebrow, wondering what she was planning. She reached out her hooves and took his claws in them. She lifted them up and placed a gentle kiss on them and smiled up at him. He felt a blush warm his cheeks, amazing that even now she could make him blush. He heard giggling behind him and turned his gaze to see his servants watching the pair. He growled lightly, but she turned his face back to her and whispered,

"Do you trust me?"

"What?" He asked even more confused than before. She smiled and kissed him gently, his body relaxed at the touch of her lips. She pulled back and repeated herself,

"Do you trust me?"

He swallowed and narrowed his eyes at her,

"Yes...of course I do...but why…"

She shook her head, cutting him off and began to tug on his claws as she slowly flew backwards. It took him a minute until his eyes flicked past her and he realized what she was doing. He dug his claws/hoof into the ground and halted them, he looked down at her in horror.

"Honey I can't...I told you I can't let them see me."

"Discord...you said you trusted me right?" She looked up at him and he groaned.

"Yes, but Fluttershy...this is something that you can't fix...this is just the way it has to be."

"No it doesn't...Discord, you've kept yourself hidden for so long because you believed you were a monster. You are not a monster and I need to show you why…" She pulled on his claws again and even though fear was gripping his heart in its hot talons he felt his legs slowly following her.

Around him, his servants were holding their breaths, hoping that this time their king would come into the light. None looked more hopeful than Flash who was still out on the balcony, his eyes widening as he realized what Fluttershy was doing. He turned to the crowd which was starting to leave, he shouted again.

"Citizens of Draconia! May I present to you the king and queen of Draconia!" Hearing that their king was going to make an appearance sent a wave of excitement and apprehension through the crowd.

Discord stopped again, just on the edge of the shadows, one more step and all would be able to look upon him. He shut his eyes tight and ground his teeth, he could already hear the screams of fear ringing through his head. He couldn't do this, not again, he could never face that kind of rejection again. He started to pull back away from the light, but the grip on his claws held firm.

He opened his eyes and met her teal ones. She was looking at him with so much faith and love that it made his heart melt. He hung his head and whispered,

"Fluttershy...I can't…"

"Yes you can, I know you can...and you know why?" She whispered and moved closer to him, he groaned and looked back up at her. She smiled softly at him and reached out with one of her hooves to caress his cheek. She leaned forward and kissed him quickly before pulling away again. She smiled at him and let go of his claws, she flew backwards until she was against the railing again. She looked down over the crowd then back to him.

"Because we'll do it together." She whispered and held out her hoof to him. He looked into her eyes and something inside them pulled at him. He took a deep breath and took the step to move into the light. His sharp hearing picked up the mumbles in the crowd below, they were growing anxious to see their 'shadow king'.

Soon they'll be wishing they never laid eyes on me...

He took another deep breath and when he would have turned and run he looked into her beautiful eyes, shining with all the love in her heart and it pushed him further. He moved next to her and placed her hoof in the crook of his arm, then let out a shaky breath. He shut his eyes and waited, waited for the shouts and the screams that were sure to follow once the shock wore off.

He opened his eyes slowly and looked down at the ponies that for years he had taken care of. In a strange way, they had become like a family to him...and now...he would lose them to fear...fear of the monster he was. They all stared at him in shock, then slowly a noise filled the air. One that made his ears buzz and he was sure he was imagining it, until it grew louder.

"They're...they're applauding…" He whispered, awe in his voice. Soon the whole crowd was applauding and cheering at their rulers. Flash spoke up behind them and shouted,

"All hail King Discord! All hail Queen Fluttershy! Long live the king, long live the queen!"

The crowd repeated what he said and shouted in joy. Discord looked down at all the ponies in shock and awe. None of them were running in fear, not one of them was shouting in anger. They all looked...happy to finally meet the king that had hidden from them for so long.

"See...no monster could inspire this kind of loyalty and love...Discord...you never were a monster...not to them and not to me." She whispered and he looked down at the amazing mare on his arm. He felt tears fill his eyes as he turned to face her fully. He caressed her cheek with his paw and smiled down at her.

"Oh my love, what did I do to deserve an amazing mare like you? I love you with all my heart Fluttershy. You've changed my life so much since you came here. I don't know how you did it...you truly have changed everything. You've succeeded in doing what no one else has...you've brought light back into my life, and chased away the shadows for good. Fluttershy...how could you have ever thought you were a nobody? You are a goddess that deserves to be worshipped by all my love." He pulled her to him and kissed her deeply, in full view of the crowd below. Which only made the citizens cheer louder, as well as his servants, who were standing behind them. Discord pulled away from the kiss, but kept her in his arms as he turned to look over his kingdom. The ponies below were still chanting,

"All hail King Discord, all hail Queen Fluttershy!"

Everything was going to change and it was all for the better.

All because I finally found the one...the one to see past it all to the heart that lies beneath. She saw what even I couldn't, she managed to change how I see everything, even myself.

"I love you Fluttershy."

"I love you Discord."

THE END…

Author's Note:

Well this is the end of this lovely tale. I hope that everyone enjoyed it and continues to show this happy couple lots of support! For truly there isn't another couple that shows so much potential as a sign of true love conquering all obstacles... thanks to all that took the time to read this story. Goodbye until next time!

Comments ( 54 )

Are people only disliking it because it contain FlashLight? This is a well written alternate story.

5191766 IDK :fluttershysad:I wish the people that don't like the story would tell me why. I don't mind people not liking it, I want to grow as a writer :raritystarry: so if someone has something that can improve my skills I want to know.

And even if they are only disliking it because of the pairings :pinkiegasp: I still wont mind but I would like to know if that's the reason so I don't have to wonder :pinkiehappy:

5192160
Yeah, i just searched Flash tagged stories and most of them have equal or a lot more dislikes than likes. You shoudnt really mind the rating until someone actually respond with a criticism. After Rainbow Rocks people just losing patience with Flash and are biased toward any of his fanfics. Im myself am neutral for his stories although also cant say i care about him. Its still better than using Big Mac as a generic stallion for every mane6 shipping. Im on the other hand mostly into Discord stories.:pinkiehappy:

I haven't read your story yet has I'm slightly confused about the pairing in it. It's featured in the 'Twilight's Marem' group (a group in which Twilight is paired ONLY with female characters), but is also featured in the 'FlashLight' group. Does that mean that your story uses a Rule-63 (gender bent if you're unfamiliar with the term) Flash Sentry?

5192845 :rainbowlaugh: I didn't even know it was being featured. So did you read it and clear the confusion :rainbowwild:

WHOOO! You got a fimfiction account! :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:

5193088 yup wanted to expand my reader base!

wow crazy good story great job

Wow, atomicpuffin. You seriously outdone yourself with this beautiful romantic story. If we had gifs of Twilight clopping her hooves together, I would add some immediately. these will have to do :heart::heart::heart::heart:
Amazing job


Side Note: I only wish you would've waited until they were married, makes the forbidden fruit taste all the more sweeter :raritywink:

But absolutely unbelievably, beautiful story! :yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

BROHOOF!!!

5194867 :raritywink: When have you ever known Discord to be superstitious :rainbowlaugh:

5194895 :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:Thanks glad you enjoyed it!:twilightblush:

5195040 Well, he kind of went a bit too far with breaking tradition, for Fluttershy's sake, don't ya think, I mean after they had numerous nights out of wedlock

5195209 True, but since they were engaged I'll forgive him lol

5228832 lol yup and I got Df's permission too

5194867 Quote BoD:

"Don't talk to me about bad luck! I invented bad luck!"

-From The Arrangement from Bride of Discord Oh my gosh please don't kill me DF

Yep.

5241618 :twilightblush: Oh wow thank you that means a lot to me since I've read so many awesome stories on this site thank you :pinkiehappy:

Ya know, there's a reason I don't like Flashlight. Flash just doesn't have a personality in the show. No background.

This isn't like that.

It's genius! MOAR

I love this story! right when I finished I wanted to read it again!
I love how it is written, I ship both Flashlight and Fluttercord so this story was totally awsome!

I've read this six times now! And I absolutely love it!! :heart:

Love this story can't stop reading. It's that AWESOME!

Oh wow......I've read this eight times now, and every time it's completely AWESOME! And it hits you right in the feels!!

My Favorites bookshelf isn't enough for this jewel of a fan fiction…
No, this fanfiction will be going to… MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITES BOOKSHELF!!

I came into this story thinking there was a balance between DiscoShy and FlashLight.

What I got was more DiscoShy and less Flashlight. Now more than slightly disappointed. I'm no critic, but PLEASE don't pull this kind of trick on me again. As much as I enjoyed this ride (a bit), I expected more than what I've got.

5905405 I'm sorry. This story had meant to be more about flash n two but things never go as I plan. So instead i let it flow, i mostly write fluttercord because it follows my beauty and beast obsession. I'm sorry you were disappointed :fluttershysad:

5905644 I don't blame you. This story was alright, just not what I was expecting. Sorry.

For what it's worth, this story gives me hope for good FlashLight shipping. Thanks to this and DM29, I'm growing quite fond of it.

5906293 well that makes me feel better. I'm new to this still especially writing other ships besides fluttercord so I know their romance wasn't as strong

This is my by far my favorite Fluttercord story, no scratch that, my absolute favorite story on FIMFiction, :rainbowkiss::yay::pinkiehappy:

6099871 thank you im really happy you enjoyed it

6099871
I COMPLETELY agree with you!!! And also I hope that the author will do a sequel or something, especially with

THE END...FOR NOW…

EEEK!!!!! PLZ PLZ PLZ!!!!!! MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!!!

6123479 I didn't read this story in a while, I'll be right back with the anwser XD

I wish this was an audio drama so I can watch and listen to it:twilightsmile:

We demand a sequel
Plus is the baby Kibou

6153864 *SNEAK PEEK* no its gonna be flitterbee paired off with Dusk Light.

6152936 if I had the equipment i would turn this into one. If someone else wants to take on the challenge I give FULL permission

6156110 i willing to be one of to accept the challenge

6156396 if you do it go for it and send me a link so I can put it on my YouTube channel also :pinkiehappy:

6158000 as I said anyone with the instruments to make an audio drama then they can with my permission. I just ask that I be sent a link to watch it and post to my YouTube channel

when will you make the sequel to this anyway

6384316

Shipping name

I love your story its very well written, and I hope that you make a sequel.

no monster could inspire this kind of loyalty and love

Love that line right there.

I can't believe that this story got hate because it had flashlight I swear I'm on the verge of getting together a group to eradicate flashlight haters. Love this story hope to see a sequel.

6705987 of course. feel free to use any of my work as inspiration for your own. It makes me happy to know that i can still inspire everyone wit my older work.

AWESOME STORY!

I like the story nice job!

Why not make a sequel?

7822986 lol am bad at guessing

6754223
I know right, just five minutes into this story and I already loved it.:pinkiehappy: Which is really rare for me.

Login or register to comment